SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

The witness next door said about 20 shots were fired. That’s an average of 4 per victim. The AC guys were shot multiple times. To me, IMO that means the two service people created the same rage in him as the Doctor.

That is very telling to me. They were working men, not men of wealth. They obviously hadn’t had the lucky start in life that he did. He could have frightened them off. But he executed them.

<modsnip - speculation not based in any published fact>

Dear @stmarysmead,

It was so deeply saddening to hear that Mr. Robert Shook lost his life as well.

It was heroic of Mr. Shook to use whatever strength he had left to call 911. If the family hadn't already been executed, then this phone call may have saved their lives.

I'm sure that was Mr. Shook's hope and reason why he called 911. He's a hero.

All of these precious lives torn from their loved ones. All of them had a future in front of them before this happened.

My heart is with the loved ones who will never be able to understand why this happened - because it's unfathomable. May they be surrounded with comfort and love.

May these beautiful souls Rest in Peace.

Sixth victim in York County mass shooting, Robert Shook, has died

YORK COUNTY, S.C. (FOX 46) – Robert Shook, the last remaining survivor in the York County mass shooting of six people on Wednesday, has died due to his injuries, the York County Coroner says.

Sixth victim in York County mass shooting, Robert Shook, has died – FOX 46 Charlotte

The sad news that Mr. Shook has also died compounds this already mind boggling senseless tragedy.

May his soul rest in gentle peace along with the rest of the innocent victims.

Jmho

The reporting about his financial situation does not make sense, al0ng with many other bits of this story.

He’s so broke he has no car insurance, is living with parents, but was recently opening a juice bar just prior to the pandemic....and planning some philanthropic donation to the community.

But...Who was Phillip Adams? Shocked friends of ex-NFL player speak after SC mass shooting

“Rock Hill resident C.T. Kirk, a middle school teacher, knew the Adams family, and his wife was close to Phillip’s mother, Phyllis.

Kirk said that Adams had plans in motion to give back to Rock Hill, including starting a business that provides healthy food options to families who can’t afford them.

Casterline said Adams planned to start a juice company prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but he didn’t think that had worked out, and that Adams spent some time with the Rock Hill High football team.”

He felt the NFL was messing with his disability application but in the NYT article, friends say he wasn’t interested in applying.

He had a chance to try out again just a few years ago, but his agent says he didn’t make the trip. In one article, he arrived at the airport too late. In another, he got the call to go...too late to get to the airport. Some agent if that’s the case.

Close to family, says these reports, but sister says he essentially disappeared for a year. Although other news reports have him living about 20 minutes away. So did this close family just write him off too? Was it mutual? If he was that close, no one took the initiative? Or is ‘close to family’ just a sympathetic portrayal?

Recent reporting indicates that there is no verification of any professional relationship between Adams and the Dr. (Charlotte Observer article above). They may well have just been a family that lived down the road. Right now, there is nothing to indicate it was anything other than that. That’s a lot of rage toward strangers.

The killing of the two poor workmen...away from the crime scene and not family members or love ones of the Doctor is key to me. They were shot several times...that’s intention to kill them, not scare them.

As hard as it is to imagine...he fired 20 shots at 5 people, including 2 little children. Adams was set off and on a mission IMO.

I am a bit mystified at the sympathetic coverage of this killer. When someone bursts into a home, a shop, a church...and just massacres with multiple shots anyone they can, it’s quite strange when the first reaction is to find some way to excuse the killer.

I don't really see the conflict in the info - the article speaks of plans...but nothing concrete. It all reads to me as the vague talk and grandiosity of someone who is lost and spiraling downward, avoiding friends and family out of shame or because they are doing things they know would not be approved of - whether that is because of mental illness, addiction, or both. There is no doubt that he went there with intent to kill.

As far as your last sentence, BBM, it is really strange isn't it but I get it. The same thing happened with the shooter at the Asian massage parlors. And the King Sooper guy. And while I think it can seem as searching for excuses, I think it's just human nature to seek an explanation or answers as to why senseless and tragic acts like this happen. Some people don't care, but many just want to understand the why. Perhaps it helps make it feel less evil and random. I don't know.

It will take several months for the CTE results which can only be diagnosed in an autopsy.
Brain of mass shooter and former NFL player Phillip Adams to be tested for CTE - Rolling Out

*loss of identity, addiction, financial problems, loneliness - A very dangerous mix. I wonder if he was also taking testosterone. A common finding of facts for disciplinary actions for doctors was the overprescribing of opioids combined with the steroids. Many physicians were sanctioned with the root of the problem being a strong sense of loss leading to the addiction of both drugs mentioned. Addiction is a cycle of chasing the high and dropping to the devil. If he was in withdrawal, it probably felt like he was gonna die. *Sometimes, I just wanna know how in the world one can hold so much pain and hate in their brain. How does it all fit? Then we have this lovely family full of joy and faith. Gone. Forever. RIP dear ones.

Cruel senseless crime such as this is hard....
When it happens in your state/county....
Then it happens in your town/city....

And then it happens perhaps not many miles from home.....you shockingly become aware that it’s people you have met, done business with, family members were clients/patients, served on committees, went to your children’s school/daycare, saw them in the church pew just a week ago....

:(

Last edited:
Life After Pro Football?
Adams focused on football in high school, & in college 2006 -2009; dropped out, turned pro in 2010, played thru 2015. Adams played w six teams in six seasons, approx'ly 22 - 27 y/o.
If he moved around, changing homes w ea team move, seems that in itself could have cranked up his stress levels during those years. Could have wreaked havoc w romantic, family, & other personal relationships too. In 2016, ~ 27 y/o, the highest earning years of his life were likely over, if he had no plausible
Exit Plan for making a living. As I mentioned a few posts upthread, that & other info suggest possible dire financial straits.

Per linked article* "Adams was forced to make the transition out of pro football and the career that had forged his identity." bbm

After playing pro football, what is a logical Next Act, besides coaching high school, college, or pro level? Some 'aged-out' pro sporters buy & operate a franchise business
(fast food, gym/fitness centers, restaurant, convenience store, etc), but if they haven't managed to preserve some capital from their career earnings, how? W loans? Initial cost to open a smoothie franchise ranges from ~ $ 250,000 to 800,000.* And being a smoothie franchisee (or similar/equivalent) lacks the pro sports prestige a player becomes accustomed to.

Trying to think of other careers, w a similar age & earnings trajectory, in which 18-20 y/o may start earning a huge amt of $, but w a career expectancy of only 5 or 10 yrs. Modelling? Or ___? For someone focused on sports/pro sports from ~ age 12, being out of that world at age 28, w very limited earnings prospects
(in comparison), would be a huuuge letdown.

Not saying his actions are somehow justified or excused. Just thinking about his (possible) expectations in life.

Last edited:
It seems like a very personal rage crime against the doctor, for reasons unknown.

I would agree. I just cant see where the source of the rage could be though:

- Personal / fence line type dispute? The victim lived half a mile away. As a result, unless the victim had a descent amount of rural property, they would not have been immediate neighbors.

- Rage at the relatively wealthy? As an ER doctor, the victim was high income and probably had a life style reflecting that. At the same time, he was personally modest, did not own a chain of clinics and was not say, plastic surgeon to the stars. As a result, I doubt he had NFL star type bling in cars, estate home, boats that would immediately remind Adams of the "life he should of had".

- Rage from social contact? The did not appear to be in the same friend social circles. Likewise, it does not appear that the had semi professional contact. In my town, a local businessman gave back by sponsoring youth athletic leagues and arranged for a former NFL player to give motivational speeches- and alot of high fives. Though the victim gave back alot (hospices), I don't think this would have included Adams.

- Rage at a well lived life? Possible, but with no apparent social contact, the perpetrator would not have first hand knowledge of the doctor and his life. This would seem to reduce the chances of this motive.

In the end, there does not seem to be a single blatant rage possibility. Another member mentioned the possibility of a "perfect storm" of compounding animosities and jealousies.

Last edited:
I would agree. I just cant see where the source of the rage could be though:

- Personal / fence line type dispute? The victim lived half a mile away. As a result, unless the victim had a descent amount of rural property, they would not have been immediate neighbors.

- Rage at the relatively wealthy? As an ER doctor, the victim was high income and probably had a life style reflect that. At the same time, he was personally modest, did not own a chain of clinics and was not say, plastic surgeon to the stars. As a result, I doubt he had NFL star type bling in cars, estate home, boats that would immediately remind Adams of the "life he should of had".

- Rage from social contact? The did not appear to be in the same friend social circles. Likewise, it does not appear that the had semi professional contact. In my town, a local businessman gave back by sponsoring youth athletic leagues and arranged for a former NFL player to give motivational speeches- and alot of high fives. Though the victim gave back alot (hospices), I don't think it would have included Adams.

- Rage at a well lived life? Possible, but with no apparent social contact, the perpetrator would not have first had knowledge of the doctor and his life. This would seem to reduce the chances of this motive. They are planning to destroy themselves, and for some reason want to take others down with them.

In the end, there does not seem to be a single blatant rage possibility. Another member mentioned the possibility of a "perfect storm" of compounding animosities and jealousies.
I don't think it's the case that this (or any of many similar cases) are people who feel rage towards someone , decide to express it, and then commit suicide.

IMO it's more likely that the person feels suicidal because they can't stand living with themselves, looks for some action to say 'take that, cruel world' before they die, and then looks for a victim/scapegoat.

I don't think it's the case that this (or any of many similar cases) are people who feel rage towards someone , decide to express it, and then commit suicide.

IMO it's more likely that the person feels suicidal because they can't stand living with themselves, looks for some action to say 'take that, cruel world' before they die, and then looks for a victim/scapegoat.

Well said.

As you state, in some, or many cases, the rampage is not about personal animosity towards the victims. Rather, it is, well, their way of giving the middle finger to the entire world due to rage at what the perpetrator lacks in his life.

Sadly, I think you could well be right regarding this as the true motivation.

When this was first reported, I wondered if the evidence left at the scene was an empty prescription bottle that would have both names on it.
But newer articles quote police discounting that theory. And if he went there to force the Doctor to write a prescription...there would have been no need to pump multiple bullets into two repairmen he passed on his way into the house.

TY, interesting.
I thought possibly he was trying to get disability or some kind of medical financial relief thru a confirmed medical diagnosis from Dr L.
I read the 4 were found deceased in a bedroom together. Kitchen or living room would seem normal but all in a bedroom
causes me to wonder if there was a dialogue of purpose (pre shooting ) .
Which is horrible,sickening in its self.
I’m hoping the evidence was some medical paperwork connecting them.
Just sad sad sad.

MOO

Adams, from 2015 to 2021? Where, What?
... the article speaks of plans...but nothing concrete....vague talk and grandiosity of someone who is lost and spiraling downward, avoiding friends and family out of shame or because they are doing things they know would not be approved of ...
@Kittybunny sbm Yes, exactly.
For the past 5 years -
Was Adams enrolled to finish his college edu, started 2006-09?*
Where did he live?*
Was he employed at all?*
What was he doing?*

I cannot imagine the grief of the shooting victims' families for their loss suffered at the hands of Phillip Adams.
Casterline (sp?, his former agent?) said a couple years after his Atlanta 2015 season, Adams was scheduled to try-out (terminology?) for a pro team (KC?), but missed the flight (or similar dodgy reason). Gave me the impression Adams was not motivated or was otherwise distracted (drugs/addiction, mental illness?).
A family member (sister iirc) said Adams was just not himself the past few years.
Purportedly said wanted to be in SC for his son.

I thought possibly he was trying to get disability or some kind of medical financial relief thru a confirmed medical diagnosis from Dr L.

I dont think this would be the case:

- It seems the victims was primarily an ER physician. As such, he would provide initial stabilizing treatment, but would not be involved in assesments for disability benefits etc. Rather, the next doctor in the chain from the ER could be.

- Lawyers involved in disability- and in other cases, "disability" benefits applications tend to work with certain doctors known to make favorable assessments. The more favorable assesments they make, the more referrals they get. So.... it becomes a "circle of love" and doctors then refer their clients to the pre selected doctors exclusively.

In the end, if the victim was not in this "love circle", I dont think he would have been approached by Adams with such a request as the attorney does not want any surprises on the assesment.

Last edited:
Adah and Noah Lesslie
April 7, 2021
Rock Hill, South Carolina - Miss Adah Elizabeth Lesslie, 9, and Master Noah Ryan Lesslie, 5, passed away on Wednesday, April 7, 2021.

A memorial service will be held at 3pm on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at West End Baptist Church with Dr. J. Barry Dagenhart and Rev. John Oliphant officiating.
Adah was a precocious, riddle-loving, and self-proclaimed book nerd (a title she shared with her Momma). Noah confirmed that Adah was the best big sister. She enjoyed parenting everyone (adults and children alike, and whether they liked it or not). She was in the process of conquering Spanish. Giving was one of her largest spiritual gifts, and Adah often passed that joy by creating and delivering handmade cards and presents. She loved her family and her friends fiercely. Music was Adah's love language. She was a beautiful soprano who knew every word to every song played on K-Love. Adah was a gentle hugger and prolific snuggler, especially with her Daddo. Adah stumped those she knew with her theological questions. We are sure she is thrilled by finally getting them all answered in Heaven.

At five years old, Noah already mastered the art of physical comedy. He would offer an unsolicited running hug at any given moment -- and from any direction. He would have crawled into his Momma's skin while hugging her so tightly if that were an option. Noah instantly brightened any room he entered, and he had a knack for knowing when those around him needed to laugh (a skill he learned from his Daddo). Noah's most repeated question in life was whether he would get to ride horses in heaven (specifically Artex from The Neverending Story), and he frequently expressed concern over whether he would miss Jesus' call because he was "not the best at listening." From his grandfathers, Noah inherited the ability to -- sometimes shockingly -- turn a phrase with suspicious maturity. He did everything with wild abandon, including loving his family and all of his friends.

Adah and Noah would jump at the chance to have special time with Poopah, Yaya, Nana, Papa, as well as numerous other family members. Their friends meant the world to them. Undoubtedly, Adah and Noah knew and loved Jesus. They spoke openly about who Jesus is to them. Their understanding of, and love for, the gospel was evident even at their young ages. We take great comfort in knowing Adah and Noah are in heaven (covered in glitter because they are with their Nana and mouths full of gum from their Papa). Their Momma and Daddo are patiently waiting to join them.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in Adah and Noah's name to Camp Joy North Carolina, 918 South Pleasantburg Dr, Greenville, SC 29607.
Greene Funeral Home Northwest Chapel is assisting the Lesslie family and condolences may be made at www.greenefuneralhome.net.

This is so beautiful. I am a sobbing mess and so so sad that it is necessary.

Well said.

As you state, in some, or many cases, the rampage is not about personal animosity towards the victims. Rather, it is, well, their way of giving the middle finger to the entire world due to rage at what the perpetrator lacks in his life.

Sadly, I think you could well be right regarding this as the true motivation.

This makes me feel incredibly empty inside. Every single time. And we all hang out on Websleuths - it's not like we're newbies. But I never get used to it.

‘These two men had never had a job that paid anywhere near what Adam’s made in the NFL. They never got the accolades he once had either. But they worked hard and one was even taking classes to better himself...make more for his family.

Why kill them? He just sees them working and exterminates them? Why the rage at them...at the children? Adams could have walked right past them. He seemingly shot them before he forced his way in the house.

My guess is that he wanted to eliminate witnesses.

Adah and Noah Lesslie
April 7, 2021
Rock Hill, South Carolina - Miss Adah Elizabeth Lesslie, 9, and Master Noah Ryan Lesslie, 5, passed away on Wednesday, April 7, 2021.

A memorial service will be held at 3pm on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at West End Baptist Church with Dr. J. Barry Dagenhart and Rev. John Oliphant officiating.
Adah was a precocious, riddle-loving, and self-proclaimed book nerd (a title she shared with her Momma). Noah confirmed that Adah was the best big sister. She enjoyed parenting everyone (adults and children alike, and whether they liked it or not). She was in the process of conquering Spanish. Giving was one of her largest spiritual gifts, and Adah often passed that joy by creating and delivering handmade cards and presents. She loved her family and her friends fiercely. Music was Adah's love language. She was a beautiful soprano who knew every word to every song played on K-Love. Adah was a gentle hugger and prolific snuggler, especially with her Daddo. Adah stumped those she knew with her theological questions. We are sure she is thrilled by finally getting them all answered in Heaven.

At five years old, Noah already mastered the art of physical comedy. He would offer an unsolicited running hug at any given moment -- and from any direction. He would have crawled into his Momma's skin while hugging her so tightly if that were an option. Noah instantly brightened any room he entered, and he had a knack for knowing when those around him needed to laugh (a skill he learned from his Daddo). Noah's most repeated question in life was whether he would get to ride horses in heaven (specifically Artex from The Neverending Story), and he frequently expressed concern over whether he would miss Jesus' call because he was "not the best at listening." From his grandfathers, Noah inherited the ability to -- sometimes shockingly -- turn a phrase with suspicious maturity. He did everything with wild abandon, including loving his family and all of his friends.

Adah and Noah would jump at the chance to have special time with Poopah, Yaya, Nana, Papa, as well as numerous other family members. Their friends meant the world to them. Undoubtedly, Adah and Noah knew and loved Jesus. They spoke openly about who Jesus is to them. Their understanding of, and love for, the gospel was evident even at their young ages. We take great comfort in knowing Adah and Noah are in heaven (covered in glitter because they are with their Nana and mouths full of gum from their Papa). Their Momma and Daddo are patiently waiting to join them.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in Adah and Noah's name to Camp Joy North Carolina, 918 South Pleasantburg Dr, Greenville, SC 29607.
Greene Funeral Home Northwest Chapel is assisting the Lesslie family and condolences may be made at www.greenefuneralhome.net.
:(:(:(:(:(:(

Y’all!
Everything I read about this family just makes me cry. Every. Single. Time.

The outpouring of kindness and the shared memories that are filled with happiness and love from so many speaks volumes about the kind of people they were — and the rock solid faith (of their entire family!) is maybe the most inspiring thing I’ve ever seen.

Piece of crap human beings always seem to take the lives of those least deserving. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back