Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this message via MySpace from someone who is having trouble registering here:

----

I may have a possible match for the female Doe in the Sumpter County case.

She seems a little heavier set and to have blunter features than the Doe, but ...

Her name is Sylvie Ouimet and she is missing from a psych hospital outside of Montréal. Her height is within 1" of the Doe and her coloring is a perfect match. She was 20lbs heavier but she disappeared a year or so before the Doe was found and could easily have lost the weight having been on the road. She appears to have either a mole or a photographic blemish on her left cheek. She was 21 when missing, 22 when the Does were found. She has the square chin attributed to the Doe and her lips and eyes seem similar although I'm not technical.

Her nose does seem thicker but we only have two blurred pictures of her and the clearer of the two is taken in a photo booth, from below, in harsh lighting, and of course if she lost 20lbs it might have drained from her face making her seem more dainty.

She has the medical connection (possibly her companion may have been using an ID based on one of the doctors at the hospital and/or have been a patient himself) and is Canadian.

Sylvie seems a long shot to me because the Doe seems like one of the "popular kids" and Sylvie, doesn't really. But I guess we don't know why she was hospitalized and if there is a back story of abuse, etc., it may be that she was temporarily and superficially better of out of that environment.

----

Ouimet's missing poster is here:
http://www.missingchildren.ca/Files/SylvieOuimet.pdf
Doe Network page:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/2322dfqc.html

Here's an idea:

If you folks would like to post questions, I will make a list and contact Verna again and ask her the questions. How does that sound?

Two questions I can think of now, both about JD's teeth.

Did he still have missing teeth? and How long before death is the partial dental work thought to have been done?

I'm unclear from the description whether it means JD had fillings or gaps noticeable. "Fillings in most of upper teeth and has some missing teeth in top and bottom but noticeable in top back left."

Also, if she is interested, could you please fax her the info I found about the watch and/or ring? I don't have a fax or easy access.

I've contacted someone knowledgeable about Bulova watches, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks so much phenolred! A .357 could still be police or a local into drugs.

It's interesting, too, that it was near a county line. That can often (purposely) confuse the investigation since cooperation may not the very best between competing powers-that-be. :)

Also, since the .357 was found "locally" a while after the killings, that also suggests "local" involvement, in my opinion (not necessarily cops, but local nonetheless). It's interesting the fellow who had the .357 was from North Carolina.

It might be interesting to see if any missing persons reports for the counties between Latta and Raleigh or available for that era or see if there are any cold cases in those counties.

I am making notes to send to my son tomorrow via email so he can have the information available on what we need. (Not sure how long it will take because he is so busy with grad school at the moment.)

I also find it interesting the man found with the gun was from NC. Was there a name given on the man found with the gun?

Good to know he had a wad of cash before he supposedly went to Florida. It is somewhat confusing to me that he was offering to sell the ring at that time tho. Why would he offer to sell it if he had money unless the money wasn't his (front money) and they needed extra to make it TO Florida perhaps? If the people on the other end (FL) weren't satisfied...as in he didn't make it with all the money or they thought maybe he was a narc...OH...what about the narc angle? Could he have been working for the "other (ie. DEA)" side and was found out? This could explain being possibly associated with the wrong end of a police weapon.

If he offered to sell it to the KOA guy...maybe he did eventually sell or pawn the watch and ring to someone else along the way. I wonder if LE checked pawn shops up and down that stretch at the time to see if they turned up? Back in the 70s...not sure about the records kept in pawn shops. When did they set up NCIC? Were these items eventually entered into the system? (A good question for VM...to go with the information on the ring and watch.)

Thanks for mapping that out, Phenolred.

Good to know he had a wad of cash before he supposedly went to Florida. It is somewhat confusing to me that he was offering to sell the ring at that time tho. Why would he offer to sell it if he had money unless the money wasn't his (front money) and they needed extra to make it TO Florida perhaps? If the people on the other end (FL) weren't satisfied...as in he didn't make it with all the money or they thought maybe he was a narc...OH...what about the narc angle? Could he have been working for the "other (ie. DEA)" side and was found out? This could explain being possibly associated with the wrong end of a police weapon.

If he offered to sell it to the KOA guy...maybe he did eventually sell or pawn the watch and ring to someone else along the way. I wonder if LE checked pawn shops up and down that stretch at the time to see if they turned up? Back in the 70s...not sure about the records kept in pawn shops. When did they set up NCIC? Were these items eventually entered into the system? (A good question for VM...to go with the information on the ring and watch.)

I will work on mapping the route out. I am getting better at it, at least.

The wad of cash has me concerned as well. I've been thinking a lot about his willingness to sell his ring...the ring with initials. To me it means the ring was less important to him than the watch, meaning maybe it wasn't his initials.

Just received this...and I've answered back with a LOT of questions :)

I'm afraid that the serial number contains no useful information. This is thanks to the lack of foresight on the part of Bulova when they trashed virtually everything associated with early Accutron watches.

I do keep very good records and a computer search for H918803 turned up nothing. It's my habit to add a dash and then the date code after the serial number on all of my invoices so I tried H918803-M8 but again, no luck. I would have been pleased to contribute to your search but unfortunately, I have nothing for you.

They already determined the records had been trashed from Bulova, but I would be interested in finding out if it ever turned up in a pawn shop myself.

The ring might have not been his...but for some reason I believe it is. He must have seriously been in need of some money. Another thought...maybe he was literally going to "pawn" it to the KOA guy and buy it back on his way back through.

They already determined the records had been trashed from Bulova, but I would be interested in finding out if it ever turned up in a pawn shop myself.

The ring might have not been his...but for some reason I believe it is. He must have seriously been in need of some money. Another thought...maybe he was literally going to "pawn" it to the KOA guy and buy it back on his way back through.

I was hoping for some private records of where the watch was sold... sometimes geeks just know things ;)

He probably blew all his money partying in Florida ... or the drug stuff. About the ring... I was just thinking that if a person has the choice to sell/trade/pawn two items, one with initials and one without... well, I don't really know, I guess it'd be a personal decision. But it does make me nervous that he chose the ring with initials.

Hi Gang

I am making a list of questions and when I have a few I'll fax them to Verna. I'll let you know when I have a list of them and when I send them to her. She seems to prefer the phone so I promise to take copious notes when she replies. Keep the questions comin' :)

Perhaps he took the ring as payment in a drug deal.

Yup, coulda been the watch AND ring both in a trade for drugs. That was really common back then.

Also the girl's jewelry was common and everywhere then. I remember that summer a store selling turquoise jewelry opened in my hometown in California and those types of rings could be found almost anywhere.

One thing I did ask Verna is that from the case history I read, I believe it stated there were THREE rings found on the girl, but only two have been photographed. I asked Verna where the third ring was and why there was no photo. She told me the jewelry was locked up in an evidence case somewhere with LE so she didn't know. She did say she would have loved to have been able to get DNA off the jewelry.

She could certainly be a match. When I opened the .pdf file and enlarged the top photo, I could see two round marks to the left of her mouth. The eyelashes certainly look very long as well.

I would think Verna Moore might be interested in this one.

It is certainly worth looking at, can't hurt! (thumbs up!)

I will print out this page and fax it to her... but I'd also like to include some questions for her in my cover page from you folks...

Can y'all post some more questions here tonight and I'll compile them from us as a group.

I am sorry, but I didn't see enough that matched on that one to send it to VM. I would hate to innundate her with speculation in this case because if we do..she will soon tire of us.

The same with questions...not to offend, but to understand. She is a working ME. She won't try to track down carp. We need to be very specific in what we present to her which means we need to go over things here that we all feel are instrumental in solving this crime and have some evidence to back it up.

Because she has been so forthcoming means we should be very discerning.

I am sorry, but I didn't see enough that matched on that one to send it to VM. I would hate to innundate her with speculation in this case because if we do..she will soon tire of us. he same with questions...not to offend, but to understand. She is a working ME. She won't try to track down carp.

Obviously we don't want to take up her time with leads that may not be promising so if you come up with something make sure you have lots of back up documentation for her forensics guy to research.

I think we're all very conscious of these concerns, and I trust that the folks here will come up with viable leads for Verna. I mentioned that issue in my initial post about my contact with her, a few pages ago in this thread. :)

I really didnt see the resemblence with the Sylivie girl either...

I did find this girl that went missing from indiana in Oct 1974 she was 19 at that time what do you think of her? It doesnt say anything about moles. I thought the nose and lips forehead looked like a match.. Debra Ann Wilhite

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]
6-1-Jane-Doe-Police-Sketch-.jpg
[/FONT]

Perhaps he took the ring as payment in a drug deal.
ANG I just thought of something I remember the work you did with the picture of the Arizona Jane Doe and added the eyes to her pic & hair, I was wondering IF PLEASE you could so something like that with the morgue pics of these to like open their eyes and maybe fix her hair a bit, I think it would defainately help to see their REAL pics with their eyes OPEN...

You did such a good job with the Arizona girl THANKS in advance

07612192618_cold&
07612192531_cold%20case%20male%20victim.gif

HEY GUYS I DONT KNOW WHY THESE PICS ARE SHOWING UP AS LINKS INSTEAD OF THE PIC ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288