UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

I absolutely agree on the route: If you look back through the posts, you'll see a map I doodled some time back. I am referring specifically to the Links Car Park (rather than the car park at the apartments); the latter makes much more sense - the killer is always heading away from the scene. If in the Links Car Park he would have to pass by the end of Crescent Road again.

I remain dubious about the Motorbike, the killer was wearing Jeans: while he might have had a layer below this, the end of November is hardy balmy conditions, particularly when cruising with a 50MPH wind (or more) hitting you.

Also, Motorbikes aren't exactly stealth vehicles: personally I would be more likely to notice a motorbike due to hearing it first: ditto where the drain was: there is no line of sight from the nearside house (Wall and hedge) - they would likely never hear a car, but you would hear a motorbike. Also by the time a biker dons their gloves and crash helmet, a car driver is already moving (even if they do so quickly). Hard to say what type of jacket the killer had, whether it was suitable for motorcycling. Also, if anyone saw a motorcyclist park up in a car park and walk away - personally I would see that as more suspicious - Motorcycles tend not to get left far from where the rider is going (if not taken right to the spot) - OK you might not know they are not going somewhere close (if seeing them) - but a car would attract far less attention.

Knowing several motorcycle owners there is a good reason they park them up around October (early). Misting visors, condensation, road spray with salt, sheer cold being the main reasons. (Of course, some people do use motorbikes in winter).

I genuinely believe the killer knew where they were going to plant the gun (The traffic lights force traffic to stop anyway) - we do not know how busy that road was at the time, it is conceivable the killer's was the only car on the move: if they could see the 'coast was clear' before dropping the gun, there is no reason why a car would be more suspicious than a motorcycle.
I agree that the marine apartments was a possibility where the car was parked up. The reason I'm not ruling out the links car park is due to the fact it is literally pitch dark and nobody at that time of year would have been using it. Even had he came out of the links car park and turned right he would not have been seen from Alistairs House as the havelock Hotel and the braeval Hotel would have been blocking his view. He wouldn't have necessarily pulled out of the car park turned right past Crescent Road, instead he would have joined marine road straight away with crescent road just of to his left where he could turn into , but clearly he would have by passed that.
The only reason I'm skeptical about the marine apartments is due to the fact he could have risked been seen running on the pavement heading towards the car park there, it's also very well lit up (the car park) and he could have been seen by residents who were staying there. But again I'm not rulling it out.
For me you can look at both sides of the coin, would you be more suspicious witnessing someone pulling up infront of you in a car where the drain is located? , and spending a bit of time there - in hope that nobody see's you dumping the gun? . Or do you spend a little bit more time quickly putting your bikers helmet on in a pitch dark carpark where there is nobody about then drive to the drain and discretely dump the gun- and avoid any unnecessary attention to yourself or risk been seen by another driver/ pedestrian acting suspiciously?
If he did use a car then I can only assume due to the fact that the gun was found on the passengers side of the car, that he must have had an accomplice driver with him.

I agree that the marine apartments was a possibility where the car was parked up. The reason I'm not ruling out the links car park is due to the fact it is literally pitch dark and nobody at that time of year would have been using it. Even had he came out of the links car park and turned right he would not have been seen from Alistairs House as the havelock Hotel and the braeval Hotel would have been blocking his view. He wouldn't have necessarily pulled out of the car park turned right past Crescent Road, instead he would have joined marine road straight away with crescent road just of to his left where he could turn into , but clearly he would have by passed that.
The only reason I'm skeptical about the marine apartments is due to the fact he could have risked been seen running on the pavement heading towards the car park there, it's also very well lit up (the car park) and he could have been seen by residents who were staying there. But again I'm not rulling it out.
For me you can look at both sides of the coin, would you be more suspicious witnessing someone pulling up infront of you in a car where the drain is located? , and spending a bit of time there - in hope that nobody see's you dumping the gun? . Or do you spend a little bit more time quickly putting your bikers helmet on in a pitch dark carpark where there is nobody about then drive to the drain and discretely dump the gun- and avoid any unnecessary attention to yourself or risk been seen by another driver/ pedestrian acting suspiciously?
If he did use a car then I can only assume due to the fact that the gun was found on the passengers side of the car, that he must have had an accomplice driver with him.

Talking specifically about a motorbike firstly: to get into Links Car Park you have to pass several houses on each side of the street. A full row of houses then look onto the car park: If I lived there (and my curtains were open) I would definitely notice the lights on a motorbike and wonder what was going on (chances are you would hear it too) - the darkness would make it stand out all the more so I would definitely be curious. Also, the grassed area heading to that car park is undulating and not 'easy' to cross in the pitch dark (you would need to take some level of care), and you would naturally be slower donning a helmet/gloves in the dark.

On the east Side of the road around Marine Apartments, there is parking all along the road. You could walk on the grass to there, near but not on the path (and see anyone coming); you could also clearly see the flats; as this would be within a couple of minutes of the shooting I would plump for there. There would be about a minutes extra walking (c.550mtrs vs 350mtrs from the kerb opposite the exit to Crescent Road) - but without bumps and slopes to negotiate in the dark.

If I saw a car pulling up in front of me, it would depend on the circumstances but in all honesty I would be preoccupied with not getting delayed in my journey. The other point is that the location of the drain is not a natural stopping point, (unless reversing in to the driveway just west of it) and there are double yellow lines a few feet east. Whether you were on a motorbike or a car if you stopped there, you would be noticed by any following traffic (they would wonder why you weren't heading up to the lights): Yes, a car would force a wider manouevre of any following traffic, but, as it was a Sunday evening I believe that there was simply no following traffic (the killer would have known this as Seabank Road is long and straight - any car lights following would be clearly visible); no one reported seeing anything suspicious in the area following discovery of the gun which tends to imply whatever mode of transport the killer used, he wasn't seen?

I don't totally rule out a motorcycle but I reckon it's less likely than a car. The killer managed to get to AW's house without being seen either (although seen apparently on the doorstep from across the road).

Cannot recall if it has ever been stated what kind of accent the killer had, if it was not Scottish, has there ever been speculation about the killer's possible social class and/or ethnicity?
'Someone commissioned bank manager's murder – what’s to prevent them commissioning another?'
rbbm.
"No one has ever been arrested for this murder, although the police have suggested that the killer is believed to have been in his 30s, was between 5ft 4in and 5ft 8in tall and was wearing a baseball cap and a dark blouson-style jacket.''

''I saw plenty of examples of the masters at work, such as the murder of TV host Jill Dando in Fulham, London, in 1999 and Frank McPhie in Maryhill, Glasgow, in 2000.

These hitmen seemed to enter a community, execute the hit – often in broad daylight and with witnesses present – then disappear immediately, usually leaving their gun behind, at or near the scene of the crime, as this could not be connected forensically to the killer and he did not want to be seen carrying a gun after the hit. Often they would commit the hit on the doorstep of their victim and, because they had been contracted from outside the area, there was usually little or no local intelligence that would prove to be useful to the police in their investigation. I was advised that this type of hitman was often Irish and had learned his trade during “the Troubles”.

Last edited:
Talking specifically about a motorbike firstly: to get into Links Car Park you have to pass several houses on each side of the street. A full row of houses then look onto the car park: If I lived there (and my curtains were open) I would definitely notice the lights on a motorbike and wonder what was going on (chances are you would hear it too) - the darkness would make it stand out all the more so I would definitely be curious. Also, the grassed area heading to that car park is undulating and not 'easy' to cross in the pitch dark (you would need to take some level of care), and you would naturally be slower donning a helmet/gloves in the dark.

On the east Side of the road around Marine Apartments, there is parking all along the road. You could walk on the grass to there, near but not on the path (and see anyone coming); you could also clearly see the flats; as this would be within a couple of minutes of the shooting I would plump for there. There would be about a minutes extra walking (c.550mtrs vs 350mtrs from the kerb opposite the exit to Crescent Road) - but without bumps and slopes to negotiate in the dark.

If I saw a car pulling up in front of me, it would depend on the circumstances but in all honesty I would be preoccupied with not getting delayed in my journey. The other point is that the location of the drain is not a natural stopping point, (unless reversing in to the driveway just west of it) and there are double yellow lines a few feet east. Whether you were on a motorbike or a car if you stopped there, you would be noticed by any following traffic (they would wonder why you weren't heading up to the lights): Yes, a car would force a wider manouevre of any following traffic, but, as it was a Sunday evening I believe that there was simply no following traffic (the killer would have known this as Seabank Road is long and straight - any car lights following would be clearly visible); no one reported seeing anything suspicious in the area following discovery of the gun which tends to imply whatever mode of transport the killer used, he wasn't seen?

I don't totally rule out a motorcycle but I reckon it's less likely than a car. The killer managed to get to AW's house without being seen either (although seen apparently on the doorstep from across the road).

Your assuming that there was no witnesses around seabank road at that time, no traffic, no pedestrians or dog walkers who were present. For all we know there could have been, and the hitman, who we both agree to be a professional assassin would have planned all this out in his head in how he was going to avoid being seen by members of the public. Its why I can't visualize him pulling over in his car to go round to the passenger side leaving himself exposed in the process and the possibility of holding up traffic behind him, as he's at a stop still, or risk been/ caught, by putting something down the drain. If I was a passer by and saw this and I found out only moments later that there was a killer on the lose I'd definitely report what I had seen, especially had I'd been told this was the possible route the killer took of town, for all we know there could have been people walking by and passed the gunman but he blended into the surroundings and aroused no suspicion as he discretely discarded the murder weapon without being noticed, hence why i belive that he either had a getaway driver or he did escape on a motorbike and when he got close enough to the drain he discarded the murder weapon and nobody would have noticed.
The ground is pretty much flat it's an open field so i couldn't see him having any difficulty cutting across this small acre of ground in order to access the links car park. He would not have been parked opposite the houses on Cummings Street, he most likely would have parked up towards the back end of the car park where its pitch dark with no houses, the people in that row of houses would not have been able to see him.
The only noise he would have made would have been when he was driving past that row of houses to turn right onto marine road, I very much doubt that the sound of a motorbike would have alarmed the local residents enough to go and check out there windows to see what was going on, even if they did, they would find it very difficult identifying what make/model the bike was

I haven't ruled out marine apartments, the only problem I have with that is he's parked an unknown car outside the apartments, which the local residents would have recognised, it's also lit up well in that area even at night time and he could have risked been seen going in and out of the car. Also the car/model would have been easier to indentify by a member of the public or somebody who was staying in the apartments.

I think it's important to highlight no matter what way you come at this and no matter what route we think the gunman took to enter and escape, there was an element of high risk to all of it. Murdering someone is high risk enough on its own. So no matter what difference of a opinion me or you might have on it, no matter what route we think the gunman used weither it was the marine apartments or the links car park or anywhere else, the elements of risk involved was extremely high. Including the disposing of the murder weapon. This is what fascinates me about this case you can really come at if from all angles

Is it not possible that the perp rode a bicycle to and from the house?
Possibly but who knows. There is no definitive answers to this case so all we can do is speculate on it. It doesn't help that all the cctv cameras malfunctioned on the night Alistair was killed, so the hitman definitely got lucky aswell. As for your earlier question with regards to the killers accent, apparently the encounter was so brief between Veronica and the gunman that she was unable to identify where he was from. For me personally its sometimes hard to indentiify with a person's accent if there from the same area
Example: if I met someone who wasn't from my hometown and let's say there from Glasgow I'd be able to verify that the person was from around that area. If Iam out socialising I have been able to indentiify people's accent by the way they talk/pernounce there words, for example an Edinburgh accent. For me though I'd probably find it difficult to identify a person's accent had I not met them before and they stayed in the same area as me. When your born and bread in your hometown you don't listen to what your accent sounds like as your so used to it and the same being for the other people you got brought up with. I just wonder if the killer had a localish accent which Veronica didn't pick up on, was the killer close to him as in Inverness? One thing that fails to get mentioned in this case is that there is an Army Base Camp, approximately 5 miles away from nairn heading towards Inverness. Its located on the outskirts of a small village called Ardersier, the army base is called Fort George. For me there is a base training camp where you have military/ex military men trained in how to handle a fire arm. Then just a few miles from the Army the army barracks you have Inverness Airport. I'd like to think that both of these places were investigated by the Police, but to be honest they probably weren't.

I absolutely agree on the route: If you look back through the posts, you'll see a map I doodled some time back. I am referring specifically to the Links Car Park (rather than the car park at the apartments); the latter makes much more sense - the killer is always heading away from the scene. If in the Links Car Park he would have to pass by the end of Crescent Road again.

I remain dubious about the Motorbike, the killer was wearing Jeans: while he might have had a layer below this, the end of November is hardy balmy conditions, particularly when cruising with a 50MPH wind (or more) hitting you.

Also, Motorbikes aren't exactly stealth vehicles: personally I would be more likely to notice a motorbike due to hearing it first: ditto where the drain was: there is no line of sight from the nearside house (Wall and hedge) - they would likely never hear a car, but you would hear a motorbike. Also by the time a biker dons their gloves and crash helmet, a car driver is already moving (even if they do so quickly). Hard to say what type of jacket the killer had, whether it was suitable for motorcycling. Also, if anyone saw a motorcyclist park up in a car park and walk away - personally I would see that as more suspicious - Motorcycles tend not to get left far from where the rider is going (if not taken right to the spot) - OK you might not know they are not going somewhere close (if seeing them) - but a car would attract far less attention.

Knowing several motorcycle owners there is a good reason they park them up around October (early). Misting visors, condensation, road spray with salt, sheer cold being the main reasons. (Of course, some people do use motorbikes in winter).

I genuinely believe the killer knew where they were going to plant the gun (The traffic lights force traffic to stop anyway) - we do not know how busy that road was at the time, it is conceivable the killer's was the only car on the move: if they could see the 'coast was clear' before dropping the gun, there is no reason why a car would be more suspicious than a motorcycle.
In response to what you had said earlier on about pulling up to the side of the road where the drain was as being suspicious, it wouldn't have been as just ahead of that drain was where the start of the junction was where the traffic lights are located. The driver would have had to have slowed down towards that junction which would have allowed them to discard the murder weapon down the drain.

Regarding the car/motorbike discussion, could a left-hand drive car be a possibility? That would remove the problem of needing to get out/lean across to the passenger side in order to dispose of the gun, just dropping it out of the driver's door would be a lot faster and less likely to be noticed by passers-by.

I'm not sure how common LHD cars are in the UK (obviously not particularly common!), but there are certainly some around, a lot might be imports of more desirable US or Japanese cars, so might stand out, but ordinary cars from mainland Europe are common enough to not stand out that much; even in a small town like Nairn I'd imagine they're commonplace enough to not draw huge attention. Of course in tourist season nobody would bat an eyelid at a European-registered car passing by, but November is not really prime tourist season, so might attract a bit of notice, depends on how many EU workers are in the area as to whether anyone would take any notice of (for example) just another Polish car. But if it's been re-registered in the UK to no longer carry the number/country plates of its originating country, it probably wouldn't stand out at all.

Regarding the car/motorbike discussion, could a left-hand drive car be a possibility? That would remove the problem of needing to get out/lean across to the passenger side in order to dispose of the gun, just dropping it out of the driver's door would be a lot faster and less likely to be noticed by passers-by.

I'm not sure how common LHD cars are in the UK (obviously not particularly common!), but there are certainly some around, a lot might be imports of more desirable US or Japanese cars, so might stand out, but ordinary cars from mainland Europe are common enough to not stand out that much; even in a small town like Nairn I'd imagine they're commonplace enough to not draw huge attention. Of course in tourist season nobody would bat an eyelid at a European-registered car passing by, but November is not really prime tourist season, so might attract a bit of notice, depends on how many EU workers are in the area as to whether anyone would take any notice of (for example) just another Polish car. But if it's been re-registered in the UK to no longer carry the number/country plates of its originating country, it probably wouldn't stand out at all.
It's a really good suggestion, and can't be ruled out. Even though left hand drives aren't that common in Scotland it definitely isn't out of the question that the driver could have used this in order to discard the gun down the drain descreetly whilst he was driving passed it, as it would have been on his side.

Your assuming that there was no witnesses around seabank road at that time, no traffic, no pedestrians or dog walkers who were present. For all we know there could have been, and the hitman, who we both agree to be a professional assassin would have planned all this out in his head in how he was going to avoid being seen by members of the public. Its why I can't visualize him pulling over in his car to go round to the passenger side leaving himself exposed in the process and the possibility of holding up traffic behind him, as he's at a stop still, or risk been/ caught, by putting something down the drain. If I was a passer by and saw this and I found out only moments later that there was a killer on the lose I'd definitely report what I had seen, especially had I'd been told this was the possible route the killer took of town, for all we know there could have been people walking by and passed the gunman but he blended into the surroundings and aroused no suspicion as he discretely discarded the murder weapon without being noticed, hence why i belive that he either had a getaway driver or he did escape on a motorbike and when he got close enough to the drain he discarded the murder weapon and nobody would have noticed.
The ground is pretty much flat it's an open field so i couldn't see him having any difficulty cutting across this small acre of ground in order to access the links car park. He would not have been parked opposite the houses on Cummings Street, he most likely would have parked up towards the back end of the car park where its pitch dark with no houses, the people in that row of houses would not have been able to see him.
The only noise he would have made would have been when he was driving past that row of houses to turn right onto marine road, I very much doubt that the sound of a motorbike would have alarmed the local residents enough to go and check out there windows to see what was going on, even if they did, they would find it very difficult identifying what make/model the bike was

I haven't ruled out marine apartments, the only problem I have with that is he's parked an unknown car outside the apartments, which the local residents would have recognised, it's also lit up well in that area even at night time and he could have risked been seen going in and out of the car. Also the car/model would have been easier to indentify by a member of the public or somebody who was staying in the apartments.

While the ground nearer to the beach at Links is flat, it's not quite as flat further up toward the road, in fact it's less even than you might think, I know this because of training our puppy there on a long training lead: not a massive difficulty but I would not want to run across it in the dark.

As regards the killer stopping at the drain: I am sure this was the chosen spot, but I am also sure the killer had other options if they could not deposit the gun elsewhere: I do not think they would have pulled up knowing there were people about to witness what he was doing, or if there was a car behind him. In that situation I would stop 'when the coast was clear' - I would be pretty confident, that if I was looking while driving along that no one was walking along the path and no car was following: I definitely would not stop at that spot knowing a car was following: theoretically the killer could have been driving a minibus and opened the left hand door while stopped at the drain: anyone might have seen that and simply thought nothing of it. Perhaps he had a 'taxi' sign on the car? Who would question a taxi driving or stopping in an odd spot?

I agree that if anyone did see the 'gun drop' it might well jog their memory later, but give the last person to officially see the killer was VW - when he was walking out of Crescent Road, he took care to mask his movements up til then, I don't think he would simply say "I have to put the gun there" and stop at the drain no matter what.

As regards Marine Apartments it would all depend on how many people were coming and going regularly as to how suspicious a particular car might look.

It's very rare to see motorcycles at that time of year, and (personally) I would wonder why a motorcycle was going to the Links in the dark if I heard it.

Having said that (and I think this is worthy of note) - how many people would have there curtains open or be studying/looking toward the links (pitch black) on a dark november evening? More likely to be watching the telly?

As I say, I don't totally discount a motorcycle but I wouldn't say it was a necessary element, or the killer needed an accomplice.

I've attached a shot from Google Streetview which shows a car parked exactly where the gun was left: another car is at the lights. If you play with Streetview you can see a later view and Seabank Road is empty. If the killer sat there for a few seconds in the car, with lights off would it really seem that unusual? If the killer got out the car and dropped the gun while you were at the lights, of course you might think "What is going on" but, otherwise would you??

Attachments

• a1z.JPG
    a1z.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I think it's important to highlight no matter what way you come at this and no matter what route we think the gunman took to enter and escape, there was an element of high risk to all of it. Murdering someone is high risk enough on its own. So no matter what difference of a opinion me or you might have on it, no matter what route we think the gunman used weither it was the marine apartments or the links car park or anywhere else, the elements of risk involved was extremely high. Including the disposing of the murder weapon. This is what fascinates me about this case you can really come at if from all angles

Agreed. Your view on the motorcycle is as valid as my take on events (and everyone else's). We can perhaps get closer to some sort of hypotheses by challenging theories. One thing I do believe is that in any 'event' people's recollection depends on two things: 1) Pure chance (someone happening to be paying a bit more than normal attention to something) - otherwise, 2: Something has to trigger someone's gut instinct at the time to see something as "Out of the ordinary" - if they don't then they've no reason to recall something. (Or store it): Provided the killer acted in a way which didn't spur anyone to look to closely....

In response to what you had said earlier on about pulling up to the side of the road where the drain was as being suspicious, it wouldn't have been as just ahead of that drain was where the start of the junction was where the traffic lights are located. The driver would have had to have slowed down towards that junction which would have allowed them to discard the murder weapon down the drain.

This was what I was alluding to: unless the killer pulled up in a way which hampered other road users at the time (blatantly), as long as no one saw him dropping the gun who would notice? (See other post with Streetview of car parked in the exact location of the drain)

This was what I was alluding to: unless the killer pulled up in a way which hampered other road users at the time (blatantly), as long as no one saw him dropping the gun who would notice? (See other post with Streetview of car parked in the exact location of the drain)
I i don't need to use as I'm in nairn every week with my work. I stay in Inverness
While the ground nearer to the beach at Links is flat, it's not quite as flat further up toward the road, in fact it's less even than you might think, I know this because of training our puppy there on a long training lead: not a massive difficulty but I would not want to run across it in the dark.

As regards the killer stopping at the drain: I am sure this was the chosen spot, but I am also sure the killer had other options if they could not deposit the gun elsewhere: I do not think they would have pulled up knowing there were people about to witness what he was doing, or if there was a car behind him. In that situation I would stop 'when the coast was clear' - I would be pretty confident, that if I was looking while driving along that no one was walking along the path and no car was following: I definitely would not stop at that spot knowing a car was following: theoretically the killer could have been driving a minibus and opened the left hand door while stopped at the drain: anyone might have seen that and simply thought nothing of it. Perhaps he had a 'taxi' sign on the car? Who would question a taxi driving or stopping in an odd spot?

I agree that if anyone did see the 'gun drop' it might well jog their memory later, but give the last person to officially see the killer was VW - when he was walking out of Crescent Road, he took care to mask his movements up til then, I don't think he would simply say "I have to put the gun there" and stop at the drain no matter what.

As regards Marine Apartments it would all depend on how many people were coming and going regularly as to how suspicious a particular car might look.

It's very rare to see motorcycles at that time of year, and (personally) I would wonder why a motorcycle was going to the Links in the dark if I heard it.

Having said that (and I think this is worthy of note) - how many people would have there curtains open or be studying/looking toward the links (pitch black) on a dark november evening? More likely to be watching the telly?

As I say, I don't totally discount a motorcycle but I wouldn't say it was a necessary element, or the killer needed an accomplice.

I've attached a shot from Google Streetview which shows a car parked exactly where the gun was left: another car is at the lights. If you play with Streetview you can see a later view and Seabank Road is empty. If the killer sat there for a few seconds in the car, with lights off would it really seem that unusual? If the killer got out the car and dropped the gun while you were at the lights, of course you might think "What is going on" but, otherwise would you??
The car from that view isn't susipvougs at all as he'

Then why didn't the gunman not drop the gun down the drain on the drivers side? There are drains on that side of the road when your driving up seabank road from marine road. As you have stated yourself in previous posts the roads were most likely quiet at that time of night and he wouldn't have been seen by many people. why didn't he not just slowly drive up to the drain (on his side) drop the gun down the drain and leave? . That way it would make more sense as he wouldn't have been seen by anyone leaving his car. If we go along with the theory that the gunman acted alone then he most likely would of got out of his car on seabank road and walked round to the passengers side to drop the gun down the drain . Of course at that time of night its not as risky, but why risk been seen by anyone at all? Why risk leaving the car where somebody could indentify you? Why waste time struggling to extend your body from the drivers side over to the passenger's side to open the door to dump the gun down the drain? What would happen if someone from the house opposite the drain comes out there gate and catches you in the act? It doesn't really hold up and there seems to be alot of stop- starting and wasting unnecessary time to dump the gun, when he should have been trying to get out of the area ASAP.
Obviously it would make sense for me that the gun was placed down that drain, it was the last junction the gunman would have came to, before leaving nairn and most likely travelled back towards Inverness, he clearly didn't want to have the gun with him as he left Nairn so decided it was best to leave it there. For all we know the gunman could have been from Inverness, which would tie in perfectly as to why he seemed in a rush to leave the murder weapon in Nairn, as he didn't want to have it in his possession driving back to Inverness incase he was stopped by the Police.
The field over to the links car park is flat, as you step of marine road towards the field there is small steep hill you must descend before you walk onto the flat ground, so yes it's not perfect but I really can't see a fit younger male who was most likely between the age of 30 and 40 having any real problems with it.

With regards to the motorbike hypothesis, I do agree that there not as recognised at that time of year but you do still see the odd one now and then, so it's not totally uncommon.
I suppose the question is then what is harder to indentify at that time of night? A black motorbike which is hiding somehere in a car park with where there is no street light? Where your facial identity is hidden due to the bikers helmet covering the facial area? Or is it more riskier - for example a black land rover sitting outside a block of apartments under street light where the model of the car can be identified and also the person in the car could be seen by the local residents or people waking by? Either way it's high risk of course. I do think if a car was used for this hit then the gunman in my opinion had an accomplice with him.
As for your fake taxi plates, I honestly can't see that. Nairn is a small place all the taxi drivers know eachother and if they witnessed someone driving around with an unrecognised number plate they would report them straight away.

I i don't need to use as I'm in nairn every week with my work. I stay in Inverness

Then why didn't the gunman not drop the gun down the drain on the drivers side? There are drains on that side of the road when your driving up seabank road from marine road. As you have stated yourself in previous posts the roads were most likely quiet at that time of night and he wouldn't have been seen by many people. why didn't he not just slowly drive up to the drain (on his side) drop the gun down the drain and leave? . That way it would make more sense as he wouldn't have been seen by anyone leaving his car. If we go along with the theory that the gunman acted alone then he most likely would of got out of his car on seabank road and walked round to the passengers side to drop the gun down the drain . Of course at that time of night its not as risky, but why risk been seen by anyone at all? Why risk leaving the car where somebody could indentify you? Why waste time struggling to extend your body from the drivers side over to the passenger's side to open the door to dump the gun down the drain? What would happen if someone from the house opposite the drain comes out there gate and catches you in the act? It doesn't really hold up and there seems to be alot of stop- starting and wasting unnecessary time to dump the gun, when he should have been trying to get out of the area ASAP.
Obviously it would make sense for me that the gun was placed down that drain, it was the last junction the gunman would have came to, before leaving nairn and most likely travelled back towards Inverness, he clearly didn't want to have the gun with him as he left Nairn so decided it was best to leave it there. For all we know the gunman could have been from Inverness, which would tie in perfectly as to why he seemed in a rush to leave the murder weapon in Nairn, as he didn't want to have it in his possession driving back to Inverness incase he was stopped by the Police.
The field over to the links car park is flat, as you step of marine road towards the field there is small steep hill you must descend before you walk onto the flat ground, so yes it's not perfect but I really can't see a fit younger male who was most likely between the age of 30 and 40 having any real problems with it.

With regards to the motorbike hypothesis, I do agree that there not as recognised at that time of year but you do still see the odd one now and then, so it's not totally uncommon.
I suppose the question is then what is harder to indentify at that time of night? A black motorbike which is hiding somehere in a car park with where there is no street light? Where your facial identity is hidden due to the bikers helmet covering the facial area? Or is it more riskier - for example a black land rover sitting outside a block of apartments under street light where the model of the car can be identified and also the person in the car could be seen by the local residents or people waking by? Either way it's high risk of course. I do think if a car was used for this hit then the gunman in my opinion had an accomplice with him.
As for your fake taxi plates, I honestly can't see that. Nairn is a small place all the taxi drivers know eachother and if they witnessed someone driving around with an unrecognised number plate they would report them straight away.

Sorry I just clicked on the still image you sent of the car sitting outside the house over the drain.. The problem I have with still images is they can sometimes be deceiving. It's really hard to gauge if there is actually someone in the car, or not with this image. It could be a case of the person is preparing to turn left at the junction and has postitioned themselves there in preparation. Also the car infront of them has stopped at the traffic lights so it could explain why the person is stopped stationary in that position. But as i have said its really hard to tell as the image isn't very clear so it's hard to see if there is someone in the car.
But if you look closely at that image you can clearly see that any cars that park there will cause obstruction to oncoming road users that are driving behind it. The oncoming driver would have to swing out onto the other side of the road to get passed the car that is parked there, which is just next to a junction where there is the possibility of oncoming traffic.

Sorry I just clicked on the still image you sent of the car sitting outside the house over the drain.. The problem I have with still images is they can sometimes be deceiving. It's really hard to gauge if there is actually someone in the car, or not with this image. It could be a case of the person is preparing to turn left at the junction and has postitioned themselves there in preparation. Also the car infront of them has stopped at the traffic lights so it could explain why the person is stopped stationary in that position. But as i have said its really hard to tell as the image isn't very clear so it's hard to see if there is someone in the car.
But if you look closely at that image you can clearly see that any cars that park there will cause obstruction to oncoming road users that are driving behind it. The oncoming driver would have to swing out onto the other side of the road to get passed the car that is parked there, which is just next to a junction where there is the possibility of oncoming traffic.
In regards to turning right onto Marine Road, I meant when exiting the Links Car Park. If the killer's instinct was to get out of town as soon as possible it makes no sense why they would travel from Links Car Park in to the road where the gun was found (whichever way they went) - assuming the killer took the road to Inverness they could quite easily have disposed of the gun in the trees along the road (and it might never yet have been found);
please find attached photo that I have sent below. You can see this would have been the view the gunman would have had onto the links car park when he exited Crescent Road - albeit it, not as clear as it was dark, but this is the distance between himself and the car park where i believe he parked up. I honestly can't see it being a problem for him cutting straight across this small piece of fielded area to get to his vehical. You can see there is no houses nearby this area of the car park where he would have been parked, even the houses alot further back wouldn't have been able to see him as it was pitch dark that night. The only houses he would have passed by would have been the small row of houses on his left hand side on Cummings Street when he was leaving to go onto marine road. The distance between here and the marine apartments is also considerably shorter aswell, making walking time alot less shorter.

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_022529.jpg
    IMG_20210414_022529.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

See attached different angle. Cars passing would not need to take any more avoiding action than for any of the other cars parked along the road (of which there would likely be a few on a weekend)

Attachments

• z1.JPG
    z1.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 10

please find attached photo that I have sent below. You can see this would have been the view the gunman would have had onto the links car park when he exited Crescent Road - albeit it, not as clear as it was dark, but this is the distance between himself and the car park where i believe he parked up. I honestly can't see it being a problem for him cutting straight across this small piece of fielded area to get to his vehical. You can see there is no houses nearby this area of the car park where he would have been parked, even the houses alot further back wouldn't have been able to see him as it was pitch dark that night. The only houses he would have passed by would have been the small row of houses on his left hand side on Cummings Street when he was leaving to go onto marine road. The distance between here and the marine apartments is also considerably shorter aswell, making walking time alot less shorter.

The difficulty I have with that location is that the killer must head back toward the scene of the crime: it goes against any instinct to get as far away as quickly as possible? Would walking left from there to the Apartments be that much more risky at that time of night?

The difficulty I have with that location is that the killer must head back toward the scene of the crime: it goes against any instinct to get as far away as quickly as possible? Would walking left from there to the Apartments be that much more risky at that time of night?
He wouldn't be heading back towards the scene, yes he would pass the junction at crescent road to his left, but from there he wouldn't be visible as both the havelock hotel and the braeval hotel would be blocking his view onto the house. No-one from the house either would have seen him due to there view being blocked aswell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back