George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask where you saw the judge holding his head in his hands please? I was watching WaPo and didn't see that although I am not totally surprised TIA
I didn’t see him holding his head in his hands, I saw him pushing the ear piece of his headset closer so he could hear better.

I didn’t see him holding his head in his hands, I saw him pushing the ear piece of his headset closer so he could hear better.
Ah okay thanks. I thought maybe a different channel had shown this but couldn't find anything. cheers!

Interesting to know. Thanks for posting this tidbit. :)

Heres another tidbit. Our segment is in a specific sport realm and our off topic/political board is pretty right leaning. We're different in that it's loosely moderated but not a free for all. If it doesn't involve minors, personal threats or copyright we let it go.

When the original video was released the overwhelming opinion was against Chauvin. After the full video was released (couple months ago?) the opinion changed a little. It went from "throw him under the jail" to "maybe this is not as bad as we thought".

One of the reasons I've lurked here is the community. This is a much more informed group even though we're larger. I've got a bunch of uniformed sports fans vs a group of well informed and heavily invested users. Not saying their opinion isn't important but relevance is lost when you express uninformed opinions.

Did anybody catch why court tv think we are going back into court shortly? They mentioned something about whatever was happening today being discussed at court rather than in chambers, but as I’m not sure what happens at this point in the trial in the USA I’m clueless
ETA just seen charge conference (don’t know what that means either) @ 4.00

I've thought about that too over the years.

But I'm worried if professional jurors each think they are more intelligent than the others then very big egos could definitely get in the way. Especially if there are differing points of view on the same evidence.

Remember in Scott Peterson's case? Imo the first foreman felt he was far superior in intellect than the other eleven jurors. So much so he would only deliberate HIS way or NO way. Imo, his ego got in the way of common sense. Professional jurors may also have big competing egos.

Honestly jurors have been rendering correct verdicts in courtrooms everywhere since we started having juries. and only gets it wrong every so often.

I personally still trust juries who does take their duties seriously, imo.

Now what I do see popping up more are the lone wolves, but that could happen with professional juries as well who refuses to budge.

Sometimes I worry that lone wolves are doing so in high profile cases because it sells more books to go against the grain than with it.

I think we'll have an unanimous verdict in this case though. I can't see a lone wolf being strong enough to go against the majority. The stakes are too high, and they know what the city has already adversely gone through even before the trial.

Jmho

My problem with it is that there won't be huge pool of people to be jurors as there is now. With thousands upon thousands of cases going on yearly, that's a lot of people who need to want to work as a professional juror. These people might become known and therefore more accessible to bribes or the limelight with the media.

If we started having professional jurors, then people would demand a standard. That's gonna mean going to school and getting degrees or certifications. That means jurors will be trained to think alike about the evidence for the most part. That is no longer a jury of your peers.

Regardless of how you feel about Chauvin my opinion of his lawyer is overwhelmingly good. I've almost felt hatred for many defense attorneys in previous cases but Nelson has done nothing to bring those feelings back in me. Win, lose or draw he makes a good impression.

Regardless of how you feel about Chauvin my opinion of his lawyer is overwhelmingly good. I've almost felt hatred for many defense attorneys in previous cases but Nelson has done nothing to bring those feelings back in me. Win, lose or draw he makes a good impression.
I agree, he mostly has appeared as an easy going type, and the little touches like holding doors open for witnesses, touching DC on the arm when introducing him to jurors etc. He has my respect and I hope he is safe

I'm glad the jury is not hearing this. Sundeep lyer sounds like the least jury friendly lawyer I've heard. It's not surprising he's been kept in the back room in an advisory capacity. I'm suspecting most of his recommendations will not be included in the jury instructions.

Judge Cahill is going back on the record at 3pm

Back on the record to discuss juror instructions.

They’re currently discussing the use of force instructions. Nelson says it would “...specifically to include the totality of circumstances tests as well as the without regard to his own state of mind intention or motivation language.”

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382787452901941248?s=21

Nelson says there was a “substantial amount of instruction” on the 3rd degree murder charge. He asks it be consistent with a recent ruling and statutory language.

On the 2nd degree murder charge instructions, Nelson says "Again, it is the defendants position that the standard jury instruction should be applied as the court had included & that modifications were not necessarily relevant to intent to cause the assault…”

Judge Cahill says his instructions list what the jury should not consider…including "sympathy, prejudice, bias, public opinion, and they should also not consider the consequences or possible penalties that might attach to their decision.”

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382788951652630531?s=21

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads