Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep going back to:
1. How did BM know that LE was messing up evidence? If there was an observer acting in the interests of BM, were they sufficiently trained in forensics to know that evidence was being messed up? Why was BM vocal about that and not #3 below?
2. Why would an outdoorsman with a knowledge of wild animal behavior try and fly the false flag of a big cat attack?
3. Why was BM not on every TV Show, News Cast and in the face of local officials demanding the resources to locate his wife?
4. What changed to cause BM to put trail cams up after the fact? I doubt a bunch of searchers would have posed a threat to life and property. Who was BM really afraid of and why not re-activate a professional camera system rather than go out and purchase trail cams?
5. Who would BM be so afraid of or loyal to that he would clean up a crime scene and dispose of remains to protect, if in fact he was not the actor?
6. What was found (or not found) at all the locations LE searched?

Last edited:
RSBM
"My buddy was there right after [they found her bike], and he said that they completely destroyed the evidence, and he tried to stop them, but they wouldn't listen to him...."the sheriffs Department completely obliterated it."
Respectfully Snipped

Even in the days before DNA and highly trained forensics investigators, LE was generally pretty good about preserving a crime scene. Every single time I came into a SAR case during the 80's and 90's, the PLS was secured by LE in case the SAR Mission turned into a Criminal Investigation.

What evidence was the Sheriffs Department obliterating? I have yet to hear what that alleged evidence was. Even if the PLS was trampled by first responders, there would be print evidence exiting it, unless.....it was planted and it was obvious it was planted.

The news of the Kristen Smart case from this week, makes me really interested in having LE use GPR all over the property on Puma Path that recently sold.

If I recall, one of our sleuthes posted pictures of the property before and after that looked like various work had been done.

LE may have already done that, who knows. But BM quickly selling his truck and that property feels like he wants to distance himself from those two things.

Respectfully Snipped

Even in the days before DNA and highly trained forensics investigators, LE was generally pretty good about preserving a crime scene. Every single time I came into a SAR case during the 80's and 90's, the PLS was secured by LE in case the SAR Mission turned into a Criminal Investigation.

What evidence was the Sheriffs Department obliterating? I have yet to hear what that alleged evidence was. Even if the PLS was trampled by first responders, there would be print evidence exiting it, unless.....it was planted and it was obvious it was planted.
Of course it was. IIRC when BM was on video with Tyson Draper, after talking about the 200 sq miles and every mountain he and his buddies had searched, he started to describe the positioning of the bike and the way the wheel was facing when it was found by LE. Then he abruptly stopped himself and went on about LE wrecking the evidence. IMO the way he was gesturing indicated he had seen the bike in situ before LE had a chance to “trash the scene.” He caught himself talking about the bike that he couldn’t possibly have seen unless he put it there himself.

Of course it was. IIRC when BM was on video with Tyson Draper, after talking about the 200 sq miles and every mountain he and his buddies had searched, he started to describe the positioning of the bike and the way the wheel was facing when it was found by LE. Then he abruptly stopped himself and went on about LE wrecking the evidence. IMO the way he was gesturing indicated he had seen the bike in situ before LE had a chance to “trash the scene.” He caught himself talking about the bike that he couldn’t possibly have seen unless he put it there himself.

If I had a dollar for every idiot that had spouted off about evidence only the actor would know, I could retire today. Even if he was not the actor, he was at the planted evidence scene.

1) Vocally accusing LE of messing up the evidence. Really? Your best idea out of the box is to antagonize LE?
Right?! Exactly what evidence is BM referring to??? Planted?? Not to mention, how’d he know a “crime” had even occurred??? SMDH.
MOO r/t bolded above, sounds like someone preparing for a possible future defense.

MOO, BM thought of the possibility LE might not buy the bike ride narrative/theories he threw out and prepared a plan b- accuse LE of being incompetent as part of strategy that he perceived would enable stronger defense of himself and place reasonable doubt in minds of juror/s at possible future trial.

Speculation:
Knowing he as the husband and last to see SM alive would be under the microscope and look too suspicious if the LE incompetence accusation originated with him, if he possibly asked/coerced/bribed GD to arrive at the “crime scene” before he did to be an “eyewitness” to “LE messing up all the evidence” That way, BM distances himself and would be able to claim someone else “witnessed” it and relayed the info to him, thinking it would make him look less suspicious. I really do believe it entirely possible he had a plan b at the ready, and would use GD either way- willingly or unwillingly. If BM didn’t ask/coerce/bribe GD into helping him in case he had to resort to plan b, he either figured GD would hear about SM missing over scanner and/or hear about it from another FF buddy etc., and go over to the scene to check it out/help search, or if he possibly called him from Broomfield on his way home and asked him to go to the scene to “hold down the fort” so to speak until he got there. Hope that makes sense.

It appears BM hangs around with, hires/works with some much younger people than himself. I believe it’s possible these young people admired/looked up to BM, and would do anything he asks/orders them to do whether it’s out of naivety, loyalty, wanting to please, desperate to keep getting hired for jobs as they need the $$, possibly a combination of all of the above. Personally, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would agree to be a co-conspirator for someone for any reason, especially in a coverup of a serious crime such as murder, but maybe if they’re involved in other criminal activities and/or on drugs and perpetrator offers to pay them good $$, I guess I could see opportunity to make some good $$ being a draw/motivator for some impulsive and/or criminally inclined types. I just can’t wrap my head around anyone in their right mind taking a risk that could potentially cause you to lose everything, family, job, freedom, end up in prison etc., Yet, we see it happen time and time again, people agreeing/get sucked into helping someone else cover-up their crime without thinking through, caring? about the long-term serious consequences.

*IF* GD willingly got involved in plan b, I’d imagine he likely regrets it in hindsight, especially after seeing all the attention SM case has drawn.
*IF* GD unwilling involved in plan b, he came to the realization that BM wasn’t exactly who he thought he was when he heard along with the rest of us, (paraphrased) “well I didn’t get back home until around 9 that night, but my buddy he was at the scene and saw 9-10 Sheriff’s deputies drag the bike up the embankment, messing up all the evidence, and when my buddy tried to intervene, LE dismissed him and said this isn’t CSI”. Wow.
Hmmm, I wonder if BM and GD still chum around. If they no longer do, would indicate GD didn’t willingly get involved in BM’s plan b. If is the case, GD had to have been gobsmacked after hearing BM put words in his mouth and tell such a whopper of a lie thinking BM should’ve had no reason to lie about anything to do with his missing wife. GD would’ve realized at that moment, that BM was the likely perpetrator, used him as a pawn, and Id imagine distance himself from BM. I mean, you’d think someone would be very upset about their “friend” whose Spouse is missing unwittingly involving them/saying they witnessed something they didn’t and immediately report it to the police, idk maybe GD did report it, if BM did unwittingly involve him.

At any rate, I do think GD might know more than he’s been willing to say.and that he’s potentially involved in, to borrow a quote from BM, “this thing” up to his eyeballs.
After all, isn’t GD one of the henchman/goons that BM sent (another distancing tactic) to approach/threaten MG, and in a not so subtle way, suggest she obstruct justice and not turn her phone over to the authorities????

All of the above is IMHOO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Suzanne was beloved.

JMO I think a fellow ff may have heard the call, discovered the bike and returned it to PP. NO ONE would be thinking abduction, murder, mountain lion, and if the bike wasn't in a mangled heap, even injury wouldn't make the short list. Walked home, got a ride, headed into town.

Methinks only one person wanted that bike to tell a story.

And oh but it did.

More of a tattle than a tale.

But that's just my opinion.

My interpretation is that he was relaying how it was found, not that he personally saw it. And stopped because he realized he shouldn’t be discussing it. LE themselves haven’t even released they’ve found it.

My interpretation is that he was relaying how it was found, not that he personally saw it. And stopped because he realized he shouldn’t be discussing it. LE themselves haven’t even released they’ve found it.
But he didn't stop....that was when he went on and on about the destroyed evidence. And "If " another party was involved in her disappearance he gave them a defense strategy IMO.

I keep going back to:
1. How did BM know that LE was messing up evidence? If there was an observer acting in the interests of BM, were they sufficiently trained in forensics to know that evidence was being messed up? Why was BM vocal about that and not #3 below?
2. Why would an outdoorsman with a knowledge of wild animal behavior try and fly the false flag of a big cat attack?
3. Why was BM not on every TV Show, News Cast and in the face of local officials demanding the resources to locate his wife?
4. What changed to cause BM to put trail cams up after the fact? I doubt a bunch of searchers would have posed a threat to life and property. Who was BM really afraid of and why not re-activate a professional camera system rather than go out and purchase trail cams?
5. Who would BM be so afraid of or loyal to that he would clean up a crime scene and dispose of remains to protect, if in fact he was not the actor?
6. What was found (or not found) at all the locations LE searched?

I'll play! :)

1. I keep asking myself the same thing. No two ways about it, BM was adamant that the CCSO deputies trashed the scene and destroyed evidence. Although, did that originally come from BM himself, or did that come from GD, relaying it back to BM after he'd arrived where the bike was? It's possible GD is the one who initially insisted things be handled as "evidence" and that the location of the bike was a crime scene. How sickening would it be, if in fact BM is the one who disappeared Suzanne but the whole "treating it like a crime scene" actually came from GD, and just fit way too perfectly into BM's agenda? I'd love to know exactly what BM said to GD in that phone call before GD first arrived at the scene. Similar to the way I'd love to know exactly what he said to the neighbor. I find it curious in both situations it's almost like BM had others doing things for him, while he was conveniently elsewhere.

2. Because in reality he's actually not the skilled outdoorsman folks have said he is? Or, it's possible he's never seen a wild cat attack scene, so wouldn't really know what it looks like? Or, he was throwing stuff at the wall hoping something would stick?

3. He didn't want to be recognized? He was hoping interest in her disappearance would just blow over quickly? He has a phobia of people with microphones? He's allergic to journalists? I have other answers, but I'd just love to hear his.

4. He wanted to spy on Andy's search crews. As you do, when your wife is missing, and you can't be bothered to spearhead a search crew, let alone join the one your brother in law put together for a "publicity stunt".

5. No one. Well, no one we can discuss at this time. :) But as a dedicated spouse/parent, there are usually a very limited number of humans that most folks would engage in criminal activity, to protect them from going to jail. Or, there's always the "okay buster, now do what we say or the others are next" kind of thing. Which never happens in real life, just the movies. So, I don't really subscribe to that being even remotely possible. So we're back to the former. No one. :)

6. Every item that belonged to Suzanne that was supposed to be found, that was put where it was eventually found by the same person that disappeared Suzanne, probably was found. That's pretty handy, too.

jmo

Yes. Agree. For some reason I thought that was clear...he left the Denver area around 6ish and was home around 9 which is about how long that drive takes. Someone told him whether a buddy or LE.

Yes. Agree. For some reason I thought that was clear...he left the Denver area around 6ish and was home around 9 which is about how long that drive takes. Someone told him whether a buddy or LE.

For me that is the problem, I see nothing clear where Barry’s involved, always convoluted and no explanations offered. For example, the opening story. Barry was at fire fighter training. It was a questionable statement almost for day one…Did Barry make any effort to clear things up? Ever? No, it took the fire chief to make a statement two weeks later.

In the entire interview with Draper Barry says over and over again…”We” in speaking to the Suzanne search that night. At 2:53 or so he makes sweeping gestures to the opposite side of the street, with his arms, noting “that’s where we were but then the Sherriff let everybody drive on this side of the road,” again making sweeping arm gestures in front of them…” (as if he were there) "destroying all the evidence”

Actual Quotes “a sheriff let everybody through here” “recovering all messed up all the evidence” “they were walking all over us
Barry's not the brightest bulb in the package IMO, but he knows basic language usage, "we vs. they"

The only way it makes sense is if he was on "Facetime" with George and/or company possibly leading them to the planted bike. Come to think of it...that could make LE suspicious.

Barry also used "we' when discussing calling the neighbor. Does anybody have that clip handy?

Last edited:
For me that is the problem, I see nothing clear where Barry’s involved, always convoluted and no explanations offered. For example, the opening story. Barry was at fire fighter training. It was a questionable statement almost for day one…Did Barry make any effort to clear things up? Ever? No, it took the fire chief to make a statement two weeks later.

In the entire interview with Draper Barry says over and over again…”We” in speaking to the Suzanne search that night. At 2:53 or so he makes sweeping gestures to the opposite side of the street, with his arms, noting “that’s where we were but then the Sherriff let everybody drive on this side of the road,” again making sweeping arm gestures in front of them…” (as if he were there) "destroying all the evidence”

Actual Quotes “a sheriff let everybody through here” “recovering all messed up all the evidence” “they were walking all over us
Barry's not the brightest bulb in the package IMO, but he knows basic language usage, "we vs. they"

The only way it makes sense is if he was on "Facetime" with George and/or company possibly leading them to the planted bike. Come to think of it...that could make LE suspicious.

Barry also used "we' when discussing calling the neighbor. Does anybody have that clip handy?

Barry uses "we" a lot I've noticed which is very strange imo

Barry uses "we" a lot I've noticed which is very strange imo
Former homicide detective and cold case investigator, Chris McDonough calls that "burying himself in the crowd." I remember Chris and the linguistic analysts talking about it in their recent analysis of the husband's statements during an interview in the Maya Millete case. It's an attempt to diminish one's personal association with or responsibility for something by making it appear it was the consensus of others there.

The “we” discussion actually made me chuckle a little. I’m not saying BM is religious but when I was growing up, my church congregation used “we” instead of “I” always. A single woman would go to the store and say “we went to the store” as an example. It was because “I” was considered to be vain (no idea why) and also because, God was always present....therefore He was with us on the drive to the store. That made it a trip to the store as “we”.

The “we” discussion actually made me chuckle a little. I’m not saying BM is religious but when I was growing up, my church congregation used “we” instead of “I” always. A single woman would go to the store and say “we went to the store” as an example. It was because “I” was considered to be vain (no idea why) and also because, God was always present....therefore He was with us on the drive to the store. That made it a trip to the store as “we”.
Typical convoluted Barry, as I wrote before, nothing is ever clear. Believe it or not...I get that example WildOrchid. Barry is using it in a totally different context. If he believed God was with his friends...he would and should say "they" not we, he supposedly wasn't there or was he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni