George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought police officers were considered first responders, or at least have the same training. If he wasn't comfortable giving Floyd rescue breaths or CPR, then why not allow the firefighter to try? She seemed perfectly willing to me. Why pull out the mace as she was telling them to check his pulse?
The fire fighter had no ID to prove who she was. She was showing aggression by raising her voice and calling the officers names.

do you remember if we heard what he OD'd on in March? was it fentanyl/meth mix? or just fentanyl? or unknown?
I don’t remember other than opioids. I was able to find some of Courtney Ross’ testimony.

George Floyd's Former Girlfriend Testifies About Their Struggles With Opioid Addiction | HuffPost

During her emotional testimony Thursday, Ross said she and Floyd became addicted to opioids after they had been separately prescribed medications to treat chronic pain they each suffered.

“It’s a classic story of how many people get addicted to opioids,” Ross said. “We both suffered from chronic pain. ... We both had prescriptions ... We got addicted and tried really hard to break that addiction many times.”

She said they began buying opioids on “the black market.” There were “absolutely” periods of time when they were not using, but she suspected in March 2020 that Floyd was abusing drugs again, Ross testified. She said she fell back into abusing opioids around that time as well.

During his cross-examination, Chauvin’s attorney Nelson asked Ross details about Floyd’s “extended hospitalization” in March 2020. She said she drove him to the hospital one night after he complained of terrible stomach pains.

Asked if she later learned that Floyd’s illness was due to a drug overdose, Ross said yes. She also confirmed that she saw “foam” near his mouth when she was bringing him to the hospital.

In the footage of his arrest, Floyd repeatedly stated he couldn’t breathe and called out for “Mama.” He said his stomach hurt, and witnesses have testified that they saw “foam” coming from his mouth while he was pinned to the ground.

It actually does matter though. The fact that GF was complaining about his breathing before he was even in the ground lends credence to the fact that something else was at play.... possibly the onset of a heart attack, exacerbated by the drugs in his system. To me, that’s the reasonable doubt for the murder charges at least.
The fact that aid was NEVER rendered provides the conviction for manslaughter. Just MoO!
I doubt the proper procedure for someone with shortness of breath is to throw them down, handcuffed and in the prone position, and to kneel on their neck and back for nine minutes. That someone can't breathe (no matter what the reason) does not justify making sure they can't breathe, or continuing to kneel on their neck even after they have stopped breathing. Imo

The fire fighter had no ID to prove who she was. She was showing aggression by raising her voice and calling the officers names.
They asked her if she was really a firefighter and she replied that she was. I only remember her calling him one name and that was after Floyd had died. She wasn't showing aggression, she was showing urgency in concern for a human life.

What about the officer who told him twice that Floyd passed out or didn't have a pulse? What about all the other witnesses who tried to tell them Floyd was not responsive and wasn't breathing? Were they wrong? Did Floyd not stop breathing at around 8:25?

And if not, what evidence is there that he was still breathing, or even alive?

Last edited:
They asked her if she was really a firefighter and she replied that she was. I only remember her calling him one name and that was after Floyd had died. She wasn't showing aggression, she was showing urgency in concern for a human life.

What about the officer who told him twice that Floyd passed out or didn't have a pulse? What about all the other witnesses who tried to tell them Floyd was not responsive and wasn't breathing? Were they wrong? Did Floyd not stop breathing at around 8:25?

And if not, what evidence is there that he was still breathing, or even alive?
My reply was in response to your question about the firefighter. Why they didn't allow her to help ? I understand why.

Last edited:
So, I don't want to disparage any individual witnesses in this case, but did it strike anyone as odd, that at least 2 witnesses seemed to be under the influence on the stand?

Is that something that would normally be addressed? I have a great deal of sympathy for those who struggle with substance abuse.

Would they be counselled about trying to portray a sober appearance at trial (even if they had to perhaps use a small amount to avoid withdrawal)? I don't require ever seeing this before, so I am genuinely curious.
Apologies because I’m not clear on which witnesses you’re referring to? TIA I’m interested in knowing whether GF’s ex girlfriend is who you mean and what other witness seemed to be under the influence of something. Admittedly I haven’t watched all the testimony but am curious.

My reply was in response to your question about the firefighter. Why they didn't allow her to help ? I understand why.
Yes, it was their responsibility to help him, not hers. The firefighter was not aggressive and was not a distraction, which is what the defense is claiming. She was just trying to help but Chauvin chose to ignore her. That's probably why she ended up calling him a name.

Several witnesses have expressed guilt in not being able to help Floyd. The
17 year old who filmed part of it and the 19 year old clerk seemed to be traumatized by what they saw. I wonder if that's one reason Nelson gave up on the angry mob theory.

I am an RN with ICU experience. I was on a plane once on a long haul flight and a passenger had a heart attack. The call came over for medical professionals too go to the site of the incident. I and two other RNs answered it. No one asked for our credentials. We kept that man alive for four hours.

Yes, it was their responsibility to help him, not hers. The firefighter was not aggressive and was not a distraction, which is what the defense is claiming. She was just trying to help but Chauvin chose to ignore her. That's probably why she ended up calling him a name.

Several witnesses have expressed guilt in not being able to help Floyd. The
17 year old who filmed part of it and the 19 year old clerk seemed to be traumatized by what they saw. I wonder if that's one reason Nelson gave up on the angry mob theory.
I very respectfully disagree with her not being a distraction. The moment she walked up my attention diverted. I imagine it was the same in person. She may have had good intentions, but she didn’t help. IMO.

I can understand why the teenagers were traumatized. Can you even imagine?

I don’t remember other than opioids. I was able to find some of Courtney Ross’ testimony.

George Floyd's Former Girlfriend Testifies About Their Struggles With Opioid Addiction | HuffPost

During her emotional testimony Thursday, Ross said she and Floyd became addicted to opioids after they had been separately prescribed medications to treat chronic pain they each suffered.

“It’s a classic story of how many people get addicted to opioids,” Ross said. “We both suffered from chronic pain. ... We both had prescriptions ... We got addicted and tried really hard to break that addiction many times.”

She said they began buying opioids on “the black market.” There were “absolutely” periods of time when they were not using, but she suspected in March 2020 that Floyd was abusing drugs again, Ross testified. She said she fell back into abusing opioids around that time as well.

During his cross-examination, Chauvin’s attorney Nelson asked Ross details about Floyd’s “extended hospitalization” in March 2020. She said she drove him to the hospital one night after he complained of terrible stomach pains.

Asked if she later learned that Floyd’s illness was due to a drug overdose, Ross said yes. She also confirmed that she saw “foam” near his mouth when she was bringing him to the hospital.

In the footage of his arrest, Floyd repeatedly stated he couldn’t breathe and called out for “Mama.” He said his stomach hurt, and witnesses have testified that they saw “foam” coming from his mouth while he was pinned to the ground.
I am not sure what this had to do with anything. We know that he was a drug user.

I am an RN with ICU experience. I was on a plane once on a long haul flight and a passenger had a heart attack. The call came over for medical professionals too go to the site of the incident. I and two other RNs answered it. No one asked for our credentials. We kept that man alive for four hours.
But you were called for and there were probably very few options, if any. That’s different.

ETA: Thank you for your service, BTW.

Apologies because I’m not clear on which witnesses you’re referring to? TIA I’m interested in knowing whether GF’s ex girlfriend is who you mean and what other witness seemed to be under the influence of something. Admittedly I haven’t watched all the testimony but am curious.
I'm guessing yes, it was she and also the EMT worker, who both happened to testify the same day for the defense.

I actually hadn’t seen this. I missed the first several days of testimony (I’m going back and watching now).

This was emotional. I found her testimony to be more compelling than most. She was vulnerable and seemed very sincere.

This also gives credence to some of the things I’ve suspected and given my opinion on. It really makes me question things more.

No, I was not called by name. No one knew if I or the other two said what they were.
Maybe I’m confused on what you’re saying. You were in a plane when someone needed medical attention and the airline called for someone onboard, who could assist, to respond and you did? Not by name but by profession? Sorry if I’m not understanding.

I very respectfully disagree with her not being a distraction. The moment she walked up my attention diverted. I imagine it was the same in person. She may have had good intentions, but she didn’t help. IMO.

I can understand why the teenagers were traumatized. Can you even imagine?
But if Chauvin did not realize Floyd was not breathing or did not have a pulse, how is asking, "did you check his pulse," or "does he have a pulse," a distraction? Especially if he did not hear the other officer tell him Floyd was not breathing or had passed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson