Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it would be extremely interesting to know if they have actual physical evidence of the crime or if it's just text, e-mail, etc. evidence.

When I first heard about this evidence found I wondered if it was KS's watch. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Several other points about the case that I haven't seen discussed too much - at least not in recent posts:

Ever since starting to do research on this case, I wondered if PF's family had some kind of connection/in with local LE - and that's why it's taken so damn long to arrest these two for their connection to the crime. This happened 25 YEARS AGO. And, PF has been suspect #1 since the beginning. And, we all know there are cases out there where people have been arrested & convicted with even less evidence against them than PF had against him re: KS. So, I strongly suspect that something was going on "behind the scenes" that kept him out of jail for so many years. Obviously we don't know for sure, however.

In the podcast, CL tracked down an student who was going to the same University where KS was last seen; this student was from Australia. He said that he was riding his bicycle through the campus late at night/early morning (the last night/morning KS was seen by anyone), and he passed by an administration building that was clearly lit from the inside. And, through the window - he saw a tall man & equally tall woman struggling. They fit the general description of PF & KS. Though this is obviously not enough evidence to convict anyone in and of itself, taken with everything else it's very telling.

Last edited:
Megan Healy @MeganHealyTV 48s
Statement from Kristin Smart’s Family: “After nearly 25 years of waiting, today’s delay in the arraignment process was not unexpected or surprising. Make no mistake, we have begun the final quest to bring justice for Kristin....” 1/2

Megan Healy @MeganHealyTV 16s
We know we are in good hands with the San Luis Obispo County District Attorney’s office, and we will wait patiently for the process to commence.” 2/2

Emi - my new WS posting hero! I should have known you would have already quoted this statement - I can't say it enough... You rock!!!

I had copied this exact statement by the Smart family because I wanted to acknowledge just how incredibly wonderful this family has been. They have been waiting for this arrest over 25 years and absolutely no one would blame them for being angry or bitter at how this case has been handled - especially the huge mistakes by LE and campus police at the beginning. Yet, here they are expressing respect, support, and gratitude. This family has endured unspeakable loss and, yet, they are the very definition of a class act - with faith in our system, and unwavering loyalty for law enforcement and the District Attorney in San Luis Obispo. I am in awe. This is one amazing family.

It is in sharp contrast to the "other" family in this horrible saga - no class, no respect, and not even the decency to urge the son to own up to his crime. Was it not enough he almost killed a classmate in high school? Apparently, they saw fit to cover up for their son's crimes even back then - making excuses for him.
I mean, seriously, does anyone ever think about how the phone call from PF went on that late Saturday night/early Sunday morning in May, 1996?

" Oh, um, uh, hi Dad. Yes, I know it's late, I know I won't be coming back to Cal Poly because I failed out, but, uh, well. Uh, I tried to rape this girl and, well, she fought back and I killed her. She's here in my dorm room dead. Do you think you can come help me hide her body and to clean up the scene?
Okay. Well, thanks. See you in a few minutes. Bring the truck. Love you.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Please, please don't think I am trying to make light of this horrible crime - I simply cannot fathom ANYONE - family or not - who would cover up a cold-blooded murder! I mean, who does that? PF has been a major screw up his whole life - never had to be held accountable for his evil behavior. Women throughout his life have been completely creeped out by him - he had a history of spying and peeping way back to middle school and he has been extremely violent towards anyone who disagreed
or even stood up to him. He was like the golden child. What kind of parent or parents (or family) cover up for that kind of deviant behavior? I mean, no accountability- WHATSOEVER!

I don't have children so maybe I am not aware of that bond, but I cannot imagine or understand covering up for anyone who commits murder - or any violent crime. Just a complete and total disregard for the victim(s)- and their family. Who does that? What kind of people excuse horrible crimes like that? Family or not - any and every person must be held accountable for their own actions and behavior. Is it any wonder that PF continued his violence and aggression towards women? Has he EVER had to be accountable?

Again, I am not making light about what happened to Kristin - I have such enormous respect for her family and all they have gone through. I am simply trying to understand why a family would cover for a murderer - I understand wanting to keep someone safe, but to do all the things the Flores family has done for Paul - to me, that is as bad - if not worse - than the original crime. I feel such revulsion and disgust at the Flores family - just horrible. Absolutey horrible.

What a contrast. I pray for the Smart family and all their supporters - please, please give them justice and strength.

I can only hope that - this time - finally PF will have to be accountable - there is no one to get him out of this one. And, due to his crime, other members of his family - Dad and maybe Mom - will pay as well.

How long does it take to go to trial in California? Is it a year or two like here?
It depends 2 or 3 years. It depends on the amount of evidence and hearings
Also one case in California that happened in 2012 the trial didn't go on until 2016. It was a high-profile case, and it was Sierra LaMar. Again no body

Yes, it would be extremely interesting to know if they have actual physical evidence of the crime or if it's just text, e-mail, etc. evidence.

When I first heard about this evidence found I wondered if it was KS's watch. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Several other points about the case that I haven't seen discussed too much - at least not in recent posts:

Ever since starting to do research on this case, I wondered if PF's family had some kind of connection/in with local LE - and that's why it's taken so damn long to arrest these two for their connection to the crime. This happened 25 YEARS AGO. And, PF has been suspect #1 since the beginning. And, we all know there are cases out there where people have been arrested & convicted with even less evidence against them than PF had against him re: KS. So, I strongly suspect that something was going on "behind the scenes" that kept him out of jail for so many years. Obviously we don't know for sure, however.

In the podcast, CL tracked down an student who was going to the same University where KS was last seen; this student was from Australia. He said that he was riding his bicycle through the campus late at night/early morning (the last night/morning KS was seen by anyone), and he passed by an administration building that was clearly lit from the inside. And, through the window - he saw a tall man & equally tall woman struggling. They fit the general description of PF & KS. Though this is obviously not enough evidence to convict anyone in and of itself, taken with everything else it's very telling.
The reason it has taken so long is not having the evidence to charge him. Yes he’s been a person of interest since the beginning. Not enough evidence though. The Sheriff who was on the case from the beginning Ed Williams said at a press conference “ the way this case will be solved is if someone talks”. Well that was true though it was a big mistake to say that. Right then Paul and Rueben knew all they had to do was keep their mouth shut. That’s exactly what they did

Emi - my new WS posting hero! I should have known you would have already quoted this statement - I can't say it enough... You rock!!!

I had copied this exact statement by the Smart family because I wanted to acknowledge just how incredibly wonderful this family has been. They have been waiting for this arrest over 25 years and absolutely no one would blame them for being angry or bitter at how this case has been handled - especially the huge mistakes by LE and campus police at the beginning. Yet, here they are expressing respect, support, and gratitude. This family has endured unspeakable loss and, yet, they are the very definition of a class act - with faith in our system, and unwavering loyalty for law enforcement and the District Attorney in San Luis Obispo. I am in awe. This is one amazing family.

It is in sharp contrast to the "other" family in this horrible saga - no class, no respect, and not even the decency to urge the son to own up to his crime. Was it not enough he almost killed a classmate in high school? Apparently, they saw fit to cover up for their son's crimes even back then - making excuses for him.
I mean, seriously, does anyone ever think about how the phone call from PF went on that late Saturday night/early Sunday morning in May, 1996?

" Oh, um, uh, hi Dad. Yes, I know it's late, I know I won't be coming back to Cal Poly because I failed out, but, uh, well. Uh, I tried to rape this girl and, well, she fought back and I killed her. She's here in my dorm room dead. Do you think you can come help me hide her body and to clean up the scene?
Okay. Well, thanks. See you in a few minutes. Bring the truck. Love you.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Please, please don't think I am trying to make light of this horrible crime - I simply cannot fathom ANYONE - family or not - who would cover up a cold-blooded murder! I mean, who does that? PF has been a major screw up his whole life - never had to be held accountable for his evil behavior. Women throughout his life have been completely creeped out by him - he had a history of spying and peeping way back to middle school and he has been extremely violent towards anyone who disagreed
or even stood up to him. He was like the golden child. What kind of parent or parents (or family) cover up for that kind of deviant behavior? I mean, no accountability- WHATSOEVER!

I don't have children so maybe I am not aware of that bond, but I cannot imagine or understand covering up for anyone who commits murder - or any violent crime. Just a complete and total disregard for the victim(s)- and their family. Who does that? What kind of people excuse horrible crimes like that? Family or not - any and every person must be held accountable for their own actions and behavior. Is it any wonder that PF continued his violence and aggression towards women? Has he EVER had to be accountable?

Again, I am not making light about what happened to Kristin - I have such enormous respect for her family and all they have gone through. I am simply trying to understand why a family would cover for a murderer - I understand wanting to keep someone safe, but to do all the things the Flores family has done for Paul - to me, that is as bad - if not worse - than the original crime. I feel such revulsion and disgust at the Flores family - just horrible. Absolutey horrible.

What a contrast. I pray for the Smart family and all their supporters - please, please give them justice and strength.

I can only hope that - this time - finally PF will have to be accountable - there is no one to get him out of this one. And, due to his crime, other members of his family - Dad and maybe Mom - will pay as well.
The Flores family has always been a little off. A person should not expect “ normal” responses from them in my opinion.

Ever since starting to do research on this case, I wondered if PF's family had some kind of connection/in with local LE - and that's why it's taken so damn long to arrest these two for their connection to the crime. This happened 25 YEARS AGO. And, PF has been suspect #1 since the beginning. And, we all know there are cases out there where people have been arrested & convicted with even less evidence against them than PF had against him re: KS. So, I strongly suspect that something was going on "behind the scenes" that kept him out of jail for so many years. Obviously we don't know for telling.

Every time I read one of these wild conspiracy theories about the suspect or his family having a “connection” to the police department I wonder if the poster as any idea what he/she is alleging. To have a connection with the police department it would mean that the family knows one or two high ranking officers on the police department. These officials would have had to have the power to order at least one generation of investigators and officers to ignore evidence in a case. We would be talking about 100 people who would be sworn to keep quiet. That does not include officers who retire and keep the secret, their wives and friends, and new officers who join the department and their families and friends.

In conclusion the chances of having a “connection” powerful enough to control the behavior of hundreds of people is impossible. Yet I see it all of the time on this site.

April 13,2021 . At 7:30 am Paul Flores was arrested for the murder of Kristin Smart at his home in San Pedro,California. His father Rueben Flores was simultaneously arrested in Arroyo Grande,California for accessory after the fact. Both are currently booked in San Luis Obispo County Jail. Rueben Flores’s bail is set at $250,000. No bail is set for Paul. As of the press conference at 2:00 pm pacific this afternoon. Kristin’s remains had not been found. At the time of this mornings arrests 2 new search warrants were executed as well. One at Paul’s home in San Pedro and the other one at his fathers home in Arroyo Grande.

The 2 arrest warrants and the 2 new search warrants are directly related to what they found during their search of Ruebens home in March 2021. Physical forensic evidence was located at 2 homes and they believe it’s linked to Kristin. The current search could last through tomorrow and Sheriff Parkinson said they are checking everywhere possible.

The Sheriff and Cal Poly University President both mentioned Chris Lambert’s podcast. “ your own back yard” Sheriff Ian Parkinson said “ we interviewed several witnesses that had not been previously interviewed due to the podcast.” The podcast was valuable and helped lead to the previous searches. The Sheriff also said they have been monitoring Paul’s cell phone and text messages and have 193 new items of physical evidence. The search warrants are currently sealed so the Sheriff could not discuss their contents. Sheriff Parkinson did say they will continue searching until they find Kristin. The case has now been turned over to the San Luis Obispo County District Attorneys office. Paul Flores is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday.

April 13,2021 . At 7:30 am Paul Flores was arrested for the murder of Kristin Smart at his home in San Pedro,California. His father Rueben Flores was simultaneously arrested in Arroyo Grande,California for accessory after the fact. Both are currently booked in San Luis Obispo County Jail. Rueben Flores’s bail is set at $250,000. No bail is set for Paul. As of the press conference at 2:00 pm pacific this afternoon. Kristin’s remains had not been found. At the time of this mornings arrests 2 new search warrants were executed as well. One at Paul’s home in San Pedro and the other one at his fathers home in Arroyo Grande.

The 2 arrest warrants and the 2 new search warrants are directly related to what they found during their search of Ruebens home in March 2021. Physical forensic evidence was located at 2 homes and they believe it’s linked to Kristin. The current search could last through tomorrow and Sheriff Parkinson said they are checking everywhere possible.

The Sheriff and Cal Poly University President both mentioned Chris Lambert’s podcast. “ your own back yard” Sheriff Ian Parkinson said “ we interviewed several witnesses that had not been previously interviewed due to the podcast.” The podcast was valuable and helped lead to the previous searches. The Sheriff also said they have been monitoring Paul’s cell phone and text messages and have 193 new items of physical evidence. The search warrants are currently sealed so the Sheriff could not discuss their contents. Sheriff Parkinson did say they will continue searching until they find Kristin. The case has now been turned over to the San Luis Obispo County District Attorneys office. Paul Flores is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday.

This was a high profile case from the beginning and it has taken a long time to bring PF up on murder charges, but it is important to understand there were no remains found - no body meant no death - even in 1996. To insure charges stick, they had to wait until they could declare Kristin legally dead - only then could they charge a suspect with murder. Also, the case was mishandled at the beginning and this resulted in a lot of witnesses not being properly questioned and, between campus police not having a clue as to how to handle a missing person's case and lost physical evidence, it took a lot of time and energy to piece together what happened. I also believe the Smart family wanted murder charges filed - nothing less - and they only get one shot to prove it - the District Attorney wanted real, physical evidence - not just circumstantial proof. I believe they have something - I am hoping it is the watch or jewelry - that has Kristin's DNA. They want PF in prison for the rest of his life - he has skirted justice for too long.

This is my opinion and I certainly don't mean any offense, but I would be wary of an "inside" job where PF wasn't charged because of a friendly relationship with law enforcement. It may not be a popular viewpoint, but I truly believe that the vast majority of law enforcement professionals are dedicated to actually doing their job. It might sound naive, but I have to believe most officers really do work at investigating and seek proof of crime. For any officer to ignore real and tangible proof of murder (or any serious crime), it would take a lot more than friendship or even extended family to just look the other way. I get that there are bad cops out there, but I believe the vast majority are dedicated to their profession and work hard to improve their community. I support our officers and have faith in what they do. However, when a cop goes bad, it can really erode the faith given to all police by the community - it is a terrible thing.

Just my opinion. So glad to have you Sonny! Welcome to WS!

Evidence in more than one place, but not remains, and it appears some of it was found by digging or dismantleing a deck.?

Clothing, shoes, jewelry?

(Snipped)

The two of them seem pretty smug standing in front of that deck last month, Susan saying, they looked and didn’t find anything!
I guess they weren’t expecting them to come back again and dig around some more
It looks like they are marking the ground underneath the deck with string into a grid which makes me think it will all be searched.
JMO
99BAA628-1575-45D4-A916-E3DCFA2F2E00.jpeg E10DCC77-4D09-4909-A8AA-A99BC70C4BFB.jpeg 9813041A-55ED-4AA7-97A1-2C091749F9B2.jpeg

Last edited:
(Snipped)
That Aussie (found in Norway) came to the podcaster’s attention by reading all the meticulous notebooks that her father kept through all of this.
New episode of Kristin Smart podcast reveals witness saw ‘struggle’ between man, woman

The two of them seem pretty smug standing in front of that deck last month, Susan saying, they looked and didn’t find anything!
I guess they weren’t expecting them to come back again and dig around some more
It looks like they are marking the ground underneath the deck with string into a grid which makes me think it will all be searched.
JMO
View attachment 292928 View attachment 292930 View attachment 292931

SO many thoughts after watching that interview, but cold chills ran down my spine when she says "God knows..." . Well, yes, He does and now everyone else knows, too! Wow. Just wow.

Feb 2020, LE served 4 search warrants at the same time at the homes of Paul, Ruben, Susan and Paul's sister in WA. This was probably about digital evidence and them talking about the case from news coverage and the podcast. IMO

https://www.ksby.com/news/local-news/search-warrants-issued-in-kristin-smart-case

The sheriff's office also detailed the work that has been done on the case since it was made a priority for the department in 2011:
  • The service of 18 search warrants
  • Conducting physical evidence searches at nine separate locations
  • A complete re-examination of every item of physical evidence seized by all agencies involved in this case
  • Submission of 37 evidence items from the early days of the case for modern DNA testing
  • Recovery of 140 new items of evidence
  • Conducting 91 person to person interviews
  • The writing of 364 supplemental reports

I am surprised - but not shocked - that it took LE so long to arrest PF for this crime. What the hell took them so long?! Why wasn't this being investigated thoroughly from the beginning? I believe LE were dragging their feet on this, even though I'm sure they knew that PF was the #1 suspect from Day 1. I fully 100% agree that LE shouldn't arrest someone for a crime with no proof, but if they had done as thorough of an investigation as CL did on the case (and they definitely had more resources than Lambert), I don't see why they couldn't have done this much, much, much earlier.
^^rsbm

Why so long for an arrest?
It's important to recognize that while circumstantial evidence may satisfy probable cause required for an arrest warrant, it does not necessarily satisfy evidentiary proof beyond a reasonable doubt that's required to prosecute a case (i.e, a much higher standard than called for at a preliminary hearing, which is just a strong suspicion of guilt).

Justice is never served when there's an arrest and the case is dismissed for insufficient (circumstantial) evidence to prosecute the accused. Double jeopardy prevents prosecutors from again charging the accused with the same crime, even if he confesses or new evidence later surfaces!

Prosecutors constantly remind us that they only get one bite at the apple.

With all due respect, (I agree with what you wrote) and I was raised by a family of three NYPD detectives, sometimes the reason for a very long wait, twenty five years, in clearing a case is they just plain and simple screwed up initially. God bless them for getting him now, and I hope all of our other cold cases get solved asap as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288