Identified! MD - Woodlawn, WhtFem 279UFMD, 15-25, near cemetery, 'JP' Tattoo, Sep'76 - Margaret Fetterolf

Police Seek Clues About Woodlawn 'Jane Doe'
Found this from Patch.com. It has color pics of her shoes and the seed bags.
I think the Doe was wearing Earth Shoes.
6954199A-0445-4489-A90C-EC4088223916.png 1789C172-8C28-40F8-9E6A-9F62FC9C099E.jpeg
  • General Context: Prior to 1975 or so Earth Shoes were very trendy with the health conscience or academic hippie types. These shoes were Danish imports, so not inexpensive. For a supposed quality shoe, they didn’t wear well. Not something that would be desirable to buy secondhand, as they were not an attractive shoe even when new.
  • Social/Economic Context: Wearing Earth Shoes was an anti-fashion choice. They were a statement signaling the wearer’s desired social consciousness image or aspirations. Common on college campuses, not so much in working class neighborhoods.
Why no laces? Maybe she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital and they were removed as a precaution. She left the facility under duress and the laces were overlooked.
All my opinions only.
Just How Big Were Earth Shoes In The '70s?

Police Seek Clues About Woodlawn 'Jane Doe'
Found this from Patch.com. It has color pics of her shoes and the seed bags.
I think the Doe was wearing Earth Shoes.
View attachment 291940 View attachment 291941
  • General Context: Prior to 1975 or so Earth Shoes were very trendy with the health conscience or academic hippie types. These shoes were Danish imports, so not inexpensive. For a supposed quality shoe, they didn’t wear well. Not something that would be desirable to buy secondhand, as they were not an attractive shoe even when new.
  • Social/Economic Context: Wearing Earth Shoes was an anti-fashion choice. They were a statement signaling the wearer’s desired social consciousness image or aspirations. Common on college campuses, not so much in working class neighborhoods.
Why no laces? Maybe she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital and they were removed as a precaution. She left the facility under duress and the laces were overlooked.
All my opinions only.
Just How Big Were Earth Shoes In The '70s?
Yes, she wore Earth Shoes, I always thought that it was ‘Earth’ because of the brown color, not because it was the actual name of it.

Yes, she wore Earth Shoes, I always thought that it was ‘Earth’ because of the brown color, not because it was the actual name of it.

I used to have a pair of those. They had a funky uneven sole that supposedly replicated the motion of a bare foot on soft ground. I think I wore them for maybe two or three weeks before the odd motion made my Achilles tendon cry for mercy...

I used to have a pair of those. They had a funky uneven sole that supposedly replicated the motion of a bare foot on soft ground. I think I wore them for maybe two or three weeks before the odd motion made my Achilles tendon cry for mercy...
I wonder if WLJD had some sort of sign on the muscles of her feet that could indicate if she wore them frequently.

What sort of notes?

Yeah...I need to have that deleted. :eek:

I spent a lot more time adjusting the tattoo and found this...
upload_2021-4-5_22-20-33 aa.jpg

H_ <3 PATSY
JP

(Assuming) John <3 Patsy in small writing
JP initials

If this is a "Patsy" then, perhaps it is this Patricia?
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Patricia Jane Seelbaugh, 17
DLC: October 26, 1973
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Black hair, Hazel eyes, 5' tall, 98 lbs.

Patricia Seeleman.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...I need to have that deleted. :eek:

I spent a lot more time adjusting the tattoo and found this...
View attachment 292960

H_ <3 PATSY
JP

(Assuming) John <3 Patsy in small writing
JP initials

If this is a "Patsy" then, perhaps it is this Patricia?
Patricia Jane Seelbaugh, 17
DLC: October 26, 1973
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Black hair, Hazel eyes, 5' tall, 98 lbs.

View attachment 292966
This enhancement is SO helpful; thanks @coffeeandacig!

I can finally see the initials JP in outline, and at first glance they look like a logo.
There was some thought that they could represent Jamaica Plain, a neighborhood near the Boston Arboretum where she, and the pollen on her clothing may have originated.
I don’t know enough about what that neighborhood was like in the 70’s to offer any insight into this possibility. Maybe Boston-based folks could weigh in?

Trying to think what a young person back then would be tempted to embellish their bodies with: their ethnicity, neighborhood, family, romantic love, music, or sports teams?
JP =Jimmy Page? Jaco Pastorius?......(my fave, but probably neither).
Defaulting to JP as a love interest.

The enhancement does show the possibility of other letters and symbols and Coffee’s analysis with the name “Patsy” is intriguing.
I considered for one hot second that it could say just “Pats” in reference to the New England Patriots, but have ruled that out.

IMO Patricia Jane Seelbaugh picture looks close to the Doe’s, but not amazingly so. Patricia Jane was a tiny girl, 5’ tall and not even 100 lbs, while Woodlawn Doe was robust, measured at 5’8” and 158 lbs.

I don’t think Patricia Jane Seelbaugh is Woodlawn Doe, but appreciate all interest in this case. Hoping that familial DNA will return her name.

Brilliant work @coffeeandacig
Does it say "Forever" underneath?

Wonder if Patricia M Laemmerhirt was ever excluded. She went missing in April in 1976 from New York
View attachment 292996
Here’s Ms. Laemmerhirt’s NamUs file
She is not listed among the comparisons for Woodlawn Doe:
MP11819 Bertha Smith 06/01/1944 Maricopa AZ
MP7259 Betty Roberts 11/06/1959 Baltimore MD
MP7034 Beverly Sharpman 09/11/1947 Philadelphia PA
MP25211 Edna Kaminski 08/01/1944 Queens NY
MP8609 Floradean Walker 01/01/1951 Menard TX
MP21890 Helen Stark 01/12/1946 Milwaukee WI
MP909 Jennifer Barton 05/16/1976 Travis TX
MP27783 Olga Mauger 09/17/1934 Fremont WY
MP4613 Rhonda Labbe 08/07/1974 Essex MA
MP27078 Thelma Cobb 01/01/1946 Knox IN

I believe that this MP is too petite to match this Doe, but then again they’ve got rule outs on this list where the MP was last seen in 1934, so...

Here’s Ms. Laemmerhirt’s NamUs file
She is not listed among the comparisons for Woodlawn Doe:
MP11819 Bertha Smith 06/01/1944 Maricopa AZ
MP7259 Betty Roberts 11/06/1959 Baltimore MD
MP7034 Beverly Sharpman 09/11/1947 Philadelphia PA
MP25211 Edna Kaminski 08/01/1944 Queens NY
MP8609 Floradean Walker 01/01/1951 Menard TX
MP21890 Helen Stark 01/12/1946 Milwaukee WI
MP909 Jennifer Barton 05/16/1976 Travis TX
MP27783 Olga Mauger 09/17/1934 Fremont WY
MP4613 Rhonda Labbe 08/07/1974 Essex MA
MP27078 Thelma Cobb 01/01/1946 Knox IN

I believe that this MP is too petite to match this Doe, but then again they’ve got rule outs on this list where the MP was last seen in 1934, so...

For some reason I expected to see Gluckert on this list as well. o_O I thought she had been excluded.

This quote is from an article or the Jane Doe page earlier in the thread, sorry if it is repetitive, but did anything more come of it: "In 2016, authorities announced that they had a potential identity for the victim, as a girl that went by "Jasmine" or "Jassy" that had emmigrated from either Puerto Rico or Colombia with her family to Massachusetts. The family may have lived on "Forbes Street" in Jamaica Plain, Boston, Massachusetts, which may represent the tattooed letters on the victim. Due to the fact that the family cannot be located, the investigation has stalled." If this was the identity of the JD, it sounds like it would be all about finding her family? Hopefully.

Last edited:
I just...don't know why a young girl would tattoo a placename on her body.
It is a multitude of other things a young woman would tattoo on her body than the place she resides.

Then again, the world is bizarre. I just find the reasoning for it a little bit odd.

This enhancement is SO helpful; thanks @coffeeandacig!

I can finally see the initials JP in outline, and at first glance they look like a logo.
There was some thought that they could represent Jamaica Plain, a neighborhood near the Boston Arboretum where she, and the pollen on her clothing may have originated.
I don’t know enough about what that neighborhood was like in the 70’s to offer any insight into this possibility. Maybe Boston-based folks could weigh in?

Trying to think what a young person back then would be tempted to embellish their bodies with: their ethnicity, neighborhood, family, romantic love, music, or sports teams?
JP =Jimmy Page? Jaco Pastorius?......(my fave, but probably neither).
Defaulting to JP as a love interest.

The enhancement does show the possibility of other letters and symbols and Coffee’s analysis with the name “Patsy” is intriguing.
I considered for one hot second that it could say just “Pats” in reference to the New England Patriots, but have ruled that out.

IMO Patricia Jane Seelbaugh picture looks close to the Doe’s, but not amazingly so. Patricia Jane was a tiny girl, 5’ tall and not even 100 lbs, while Woodlawn Doe was robust, measured at 5’8” and 158 lbs.

I don’t think Patricia Jane Seelbaugh is Woodlawn Doe, but appreciate all interest in this case. Hoping that familial DNA will return her name.

Yes, some major differences for sure. I hope too re. familial DNA.

About Jamaica Plain: Jamaica Plain

It's kind of hard to describe. It's one of Boston's largest neighborhoods. A mainly urban residential area, popular with people who work in Boston and take public transportation to and from work. Large (very large) Latino community. Quite a few seniors live there because of the reasonable price for housing. Lots of parks and public areas, like the Arboretum and Franklin Park. Parts of it are pretty slummy but parts of it are really nice.

It tends to get looked down on by other parts of Boston.

I've never lived there, only visited. I think a couple of people in this thread live there and maybe have more information.

This quote is from an article or the Jane Doe page earlier in the thread, sorry if it is repetitive, but did anything more come of it: "In 2016, authorities announced that they had a potential identity for the victim, as a girl that went by "Jasmine" or "Jassy" that had emmigrated from either Puerto Rico or Colombia with her family to Massachusetts. The family may have lived on "Forbes Street" in Jamaica Plain, Boston, Massachusetts, which may represent the tattooed letters on the victim. Due to the fact that the family cannot be located, the investigation has stalled." If this was the identity of the JD, it sounds like it would be all about finding her family? Hopefully.

Yes. And from what's been said in local news from time to time, they are trying to find the family.

For a while I was wondering whether a whole family disappearing might have something to do with Terry Rasmussen, but I think he was in Texas then.

For some reason I expected to see Gluckert on this list as well. o_O I thought she had been excluded.
Wow, they do resemble each other, their faces, shoes, clothing and jewelry choices..
279UFMD
View attachment 293038 View attachment 293040
Barbara is more petite and has a fairer complexion.

When NCMEC aired the update for Woodlawn Doe on YouTube Barbara’s name was mentioned in the comments. Maybe she was excluded and NamUs hasn’t updated their comparisons list?

I just...don't know why a young girl would tattoo a placename on her body.
It is a multitude of other things a young woman would tattoo on her body than the place she resides.

Then again, the world is bizarre. I just find the reasoning for it a little bit odd.

JP is more than just a place. It's like an identity for some of the groups who live there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back