Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hyacinths are blooming and smell so good. I’ve been putting them outside each day to get some sun. I have seen bees on the other plants so maybe they like these too.

The produce pick up today was huge. I’ve already shared with a friend and now have to get ready to do some veggie prep. They gave me a box of dry goods and 1/2 gallon of milk too.

Attachments

• 35A85354-99BF-42AC-BBFF-D80594588844.jpeg
    35A85354-99BF-42AC-BBFF-D80594588844.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 974DE4DF-90CF-4574-9359-730D8612F0B2.jpeg
    974DE4DF-90CF-4574-9359-730D8612F0B2.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 54
The hyacinths are blooming and smell so good. I’ve been putting them outside each day to get some sun. I have seen bees on the other plants so maybe they like these too.

The produce pick up today was huge. I’ve already shared with a friend and now have to get ready to do some veggie prep. They gave me a box of dry goods and 1/2 gallon of milk too.

those flowers sure are pretty
what will you do with all those bananas?

those flowers sure are pretty
what will you do with all those bananas?
I gave 2 bunches to a friend. 2 other bunches were tossed yesterday as they were beyond useful. One bunch we are eating on. Tomorrow I plan to make GF banana bread for my girls. I make mini loaves, wrap in wax paper, load them in a big baggie and freeze them.

My oldest loves to take them frozen, put yogurt and fruit on top, put them in her cooler and take them on the boat. On a hot day, it really hits the spot.

Bananas came up in my most recent Walmart grocery shop also.

I had read that if you order multiple numbers of bananas, you get multiple bunches of bananas.

So, I ordered 'one' thinking it would be one bunch.

Nope, not on your Nelly.

In my two week grocery shop, lots of stuff, there is a single banana.

Three loaves of bread, oranges, grapes, tomatoes and peppers etc plus a miserable single banana. lol

I paid the delivery fee because I also ordered a heavy box of cat litter and wanted it left on the porch.

Guess what was not delivered?? Of course, the cat litter.

I always 'keep ahead of the game' by having spare cat litter but with our variants out of control, I dont wish to go into a store for purchases.

So, my 'stock of cat litter' is dwindling and now I'll have to do another food order earlier than planned and hope they bring the cat litter.

In general, I think Walmart does a very good job but heavy items and single bananas dont brighten my day.

Have saved a lot of money over the last few months though, their pricing is good. so yay!

The hyacinths are blooming and smell so good. I’ve been putting them outside each day to get some sun. I have seen bees on the other plants so maybe they like these too...

Do the hyacinths bother any of your allergies? DH is allergic to pollens, so we don't ever have scented candles, potpourris, or fragrant indoor flowers or plants. I haven't ever tested positive for pollens but have been overcome by the fragrance of floral arrangements, i.e. dozens of lilies in church on Easter that made me unable to catch my breath.

Do the hyacinths bother any of your allergies? DH is allergic to pollens, so we don't ever have scented candles, potpourris, or fragrant indoor flowers or plants. I haven't ever tested positive for pollens but have been overcome by the fragrance of floral arrangements, i.e. dozens of lilies in church on Easter that made me unable to catch my breath.
They didn’t trigger a headache but they were strong. I kept them on the lanai and put them out in the sun each day. The blossoms are dying now. I’m going to try to save the bulbs for next year.

Hyacinths seem to be hardy... we have one the previous owner stuck in the ground and it has survived with zero help and lots of deer attention... it is pretty but not in a place where I can smell!

DH made a quick trip to Costco yesterday. We didn't need much, but my Perrier stash was running low, so he got a couple of cases along with a few other items. For the first time in months, Costco had a 5-pack of Clorox wipes for $15. He had been getting individual cannisters of Meijer disinfectant wipes (75 sheets) for $6 each or $3 for 35 sheets. Costco also had a 3-pack of Lysol spray, but DH had gotten a single can at Kroger a couple of weeks ago. We have partial cans of Lysol in three bathrooms, so we really didn't need more. Other purchases included a multi-pack of TP and two beautiful pieces of sockeye salmon, one of which we had for dinner last night with fresh asparagus.

Last edited:

I had read that if you order multiple numbers of bananas, you get multiple bunches of bananas.

Nope, not on your Nelly.

Three loaves of bread, oranges, grapes, tomatoes and peppers etc plus a miserable single banana. lol

I paid the delivery fee because I also ordered a heavy box of cat litter and wanted it left on the porch.

I always 'keep ahead of the game' by having spare cat litter but with our variants out of control, I dont wish to go into a store for purchases.

So, my 'stock of cat litter' is dwindling and now I'll have to do another food order earlier than planned and hope they bring the cat litter.

In general, I think Walmart does a very good job but heavy items and single bananas dont brighten my day.

Have saved a lot of money over the last few months though, their pricing is good. so yay!
We have consistently been using Walmart delivery - I recently told DH I was planning on buying their yearly delivery because I will probably always have at least some of our basic groceries delivered going forward - even when we come out the other end of the pandemic. Love having someone else shop and put it on my porch! I make our order about every three weeks so it is very large - I consider it a bargain at $9.95 delivery plus the tip. I have been happy with substitutions they have made. My last delivery they substituted collard greens for kale but didn't upcharge the $3.00 difference in price, organic blackberries for regular blackberries, again no upcharge, plus a few other items. Once they substituted a coconut for jicama - we were amused by that. I always pick the 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. time slot and have been pleased with the freshness of the produce I have received which always looks so awful in the store.

We have consistently been using Walmart delivery - I recently told DH I was planning on buying their yearly delivery because I will probably always have at least some of our basic groceries delivered going forward - even when we come out the other end of the pandemic. Love having someone else shop and put it on my porch! I make our order about every three weeks so it is very large - I consider it a bargain at $9.95 delivery plus the tip. I have been happy with substitutions they have made. My last delivery they substituted collard greens for kale but didn't upcharge the $3.00 difference in price, organic blackberries for regular blackberries, again no upcharge, plus a few other items. Once they substituted a coconut for jicama - we were amused by that. I always pick the 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. time slot and have been pleased with the freshness of the produce I have received which always looks so awful in the store.

We will also continue to use Walmarts online grocery for most things, its just so convenient.

While COVID is so active, I also dont mind paying the delivery fee and when its not so bad, one can have a free pickup if inclined.

I love that I dont have to 'walk the aisles' except from the comfort of my own home. LOL

As for lugging stuff to the car, let someone do it for you! Yay Walmart.

Nope, not on your Nelly.

I think I remember the same thing happened to me with bananas so I read the description very carefully now before I order

and same with cat litter - I change it up between Amazon & Walmart depending on which place has it on sale - we don't get Walmart delivery but we do pickup so that eliminates half the struggle anyway

I know I hate it when I do a big order based on the fact they have the special items I need and then the special items are not available grrr

Since last year, we have really not gone anywhere, like everyone else, and relied primarily on grocery shopping online. Today, I went to the "big city", about 200 miles away, and actually went grocery shopping.

It was so much fun to look around, and buy some specialty items we can't get here. It was a quite "upscale shop". I thought of @PayrollNerd while I was shopping, a whole aisle of various flours: teff, almond, coconut, tons of different types of products for "gluten free" cooking and baking.

I picked up a few items, preserved lemons, harissa, tahini. I have been following a chef,
Recipes

And needed some ingredients. It was super fun, to just be out.

Since last year, we have really not gone anywhere, like everyone else, and relied primarily on grocery shopping online. Today, I went to the "big city", about 200 miles away, and actually went grocery shopping.

It was so much fun to look around, and buy some specialty items we can't get here. It was a quite "upscale shop". I thought of @PayrollNerd while I was shopping, a whole aisle of various flours: teff, almond, coconut, tons of different types of products for "gluten free" cooking and baking.

I picked up a few items, preserved lemons, harissa, tahini. I have been following a chef,
Recipes

I still remember the post about your husband driving around on a motorized scooter while you chased him. It was probably frustrating for you but it always brings a wide smile to me. He’s enjoying his life. Renegade!

I still remember the post about your husband driving around on a motorized scooter while you chased him. It was probably frustrating for you but it always brings a wide smile to me. He’s enjoying his life. Renegade!

Yes. He has been really frustrated this year, because his "evil" wife barely let him go anywhere! He is now fully vaccinated, and back in gear, scooter and all! :p

Procter & Gamble to raise prices, as companies struggle to catch up with consumer demand (nbcnews.com)

The consumer giant joins a host of other companies, including Kimberly-Clark and Coca-Cola, that are raising prices to protect profit margins.

Procter & Gamble announced on Tuesday that it will hike prices on baby care, feminine care and adult incontinence products in September to respond to higher commodity costs.

The consumer giant joins a host of other companies, including Kimberly-Clark and Coca-Cola, that are raising prices to protect profit margins. The companies are betting consumers will be willing to pay more for the brand version instead of opting for a cheaper private label. However, that outcome depends on the economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and how many consumers will have the cash to spare.

P&G said its price increases will vary by brand but will be in the range of mid-to-high single digits...

Procter & Gamble to raise prices, as companies struggle to catch up with consumer demand (nbcnews.com)

The consumer giant joins a host of other companies, including Kimberly-Clark and Coca-Cola, that are raising prices to protect profit margins.

Procter & Gamble announced on Tuesday that it will hike prices on baby care, feminine care and adult incontinence products in September to respond to higher commodity costs.

The consumer giant joins a host of other companies, including Kimberly-Clark and Coca-Cola, that are raising prices to protect profit margins. The companies are betting consumers will be willing to pay more for the brand version instead of opting for a cheaper private label. However, that outcome depends on the economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and how many consumers will have the cash to spare.

P&G said its price increases will vary by brand but will be in the range of mid-to-high single digits...
So items for babies, women, and the elderly (or people with health issues). Got it.

jmo

Pretty sure that’s not going to pan out here. And in a pandemic no less.

In 1992, I worked for Kimberly Clark as a temp employee. After 3-4 months, the agency I worked for called stating I didn’t need to return. Huh? I was told it was language I used. Again, huh?

Eventually had a conversation in person with the temp agency to get the details. One of the female supervisors walking behind me overheard a quiet conversation between me and a coworker. It was a Friday night, after work, walking to the parking garage. Not like it happened on the clock, in their building, etc.

What was the language? I had just found out I was 6 weeks pregnant after 10 years of infertility. I didn’t like TN and wanted to return home to FL.

Guess who’s products I’ve boycotted ever since?

The companies are betting consumers will be willing to pay more for the brand version instead of opting for a cheaper private label.”

Recipes

Grocery shopping has always been a joy for me. I love picking out my produce and special ingredients I like to use when I cook. Now that we are vaccinated we go to our favorite stores whenever we like. It's the little things.

Of course, now we do less grocery shopping because we are comfortable eating inside restaurants again. Our 18th wedding anniversary was this past weekend and we were so thrilled to be able to go to our favorite restaurant.

Preserved lemons, harissa and tahini..yum. I will have to check out those recipes you linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni