George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confident that there is underground parking in the government center that is being used by these jurors and that will be used until they no longer have to return to the courthouse. But you have 14 people...some of whom were "excited" to get on the jury and they have friends and family that know they are on an extended jury duty so lots of potential leaks. Some may even choose to talk...hard to say. I don't think it will be one of those verdicts where some of the jurors will hold a presser etc. but again I am just guessing. Meanwhile news here reports business after business boarding up...just great!!
How awful for you. Easy for me to comment thousands of miles away, thoughts are with you, stay home,stay safe.

I am troubled by the fact that Morries was not put on the stand. I understand he was going to plead the 5th and that is his right and don’t fault him at all for the exercising his right. It came across to me as suppression of evidence by not putting him on the stand. IMO, we should get all the facts, and if the prosecution was so confident their case against DC, they would have granted Morries immunity. That is another seed of doubt planted in my mind.

All IMO.

Great point Mony. Many outside the US, and inside the US may question why Lane, Keung and Thoa didn't testify and think as you do that they were involved in "suppression of evidence" by not being put on the stand. And as you state in your mind, is a seed of doubt.

THREE police officers chose to do such.

Great point Mony. Many outside the US, and inside the US may question why Lane, Keung and Thoa didn't testify and think as you do that they were involved in "suppression of evidence" by not being put on the stand. And as you state in your mind, is a seed of doubt.

THREE police officers chose to do such.

Did they state they would exercise their 5th amendment? Honest question. I have no idea. But I don’t think one can just “choose” not to testify. They can be compelled to either testify or plead the 5th???

Yes, many agree with you as to Lane, Keung and Thao not testifying. But is their right.
I wonder if Lane would have testified if he had been allowed to have a separate trial. He would have been a good witness for the prosecution. His own attorney seems to agree that someone should have intervened. He was the only one who showed any concern for the victim.

I wonder if Lane would have testified if he had been allowed to have a separate trial. He would have been a good witness for the prosecution. His own attorney seems to agree that someone should have intervened. He was the only one who showed any concern for the victim.
Lane was the officer on the ground next to Chauvin, right?

Did they state they would exercise their 5th amendment? Honest question. I have no idea. But I don’t think one can just “choose” not to testify. They can be compelled to either testify or plead the 5th???

Nelson: Ex-officers Lane, Thao will not testify in Chauvin trial

"Nelson mentioned this on Wednesday while discussing a motion to exclude the statements of Thomas Lane and Tou Thao. Both men gave voluntary taped statements to the BCA under the guidance of lawyers with the understand their statements could be used against them.

"I confirmed with each of the attorneys last night that they are not permitting their clients to testify in this trial – I would have no ability to cross examine those particular statements; anything else I think is fair game," said Nelson."

Nelson: Ex-officers Lane, Thao will not testify in Chauvin trial

"Nelson mentioned this on Wednesday while discussing a motion to exclude the statements of Thomas Lane and Tou Thao. Both men gave voluntary taped statements to the BCA under the guidance of lawyers with the understand their statements could be used against them.

"I confirmed with each of the attorneys last night that they are not permitting their clients to testify in this trial – I would have no ability to cross examine those particular statements; anything else I think is fair game," said Nelson."
i think Lane should have his own trial...as I understand it he and Keung are being tried together...Lane was the only officer that spoke about turning him on his side and went in the ambo etc. only one that showed some humanity. I think he would do better on his own.

i think Lane should have his own trial...as I understand it he and Keung are being tried together...Lane was the only officer that spoke about turning him on his side and went in the ambo etc. only one that showed some humanity. I think he would do better on his own.

And if Chauvin gets off on all three charges, so would Lane as his charge is aiding and abetting? (Or if hung jury and retrial, would the three trials be delayed?)

https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo.../27-CR-20-12951-TKL/LaneComplaint06032020.pdf

"Officer Chauvin, the defendant, and Officer Kueng subdued Mr. Floyd prone to the ground in this manner for nearly 9 minutes. During this time, Mr. Floyd repeatedly stated he could not breathe and his physical condition continued to deteriorate such that force was no longer necessary to control him. Officer Chauvin had his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total. Two minutes and 53 seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was non-responsive. Police are trained that this type of restraint with a subject in a prone position is inherently dangerous. Officer Chauvin’s restraint of Mr. Floyd in this manner for a prolonged period was a substantial causal factor in Mr. Floyd losing consciousness, constituting substantial bodily harm, and Mr. Floyd’s death as well."

People often wonder why other officers don't intervene in situations like this.Cariol Horne was a police officer who stopped a fellow officer from using a chokehold on a handcuffed suspect in 2008 and was fired.She sued the city and just won and received her pension just this year.With attitudes like this why would a fellow cop turn a bad cop in?

I had the time this afternoon to sit and watch Dr. Tobin again (on 2x speed lol)

For those of us that were wondering if CPR and what that does came up in the trial... it was NOT in his testimony.

He is also normally a paid witness at $500/hr, but has only ever testified in civil cases, never a criminal case. Just mentioning because earlier I had said he had never been a witness before... I was wrong, he has never been a witness in a criminal trial.

ETA: correct spelling error.. and add... I actually have a few more questions now after listening to Dr. Tobin's testimony... going to listen to the cardiologist again and see if they were answered.

One thing that I was reading about joint trials the other day is that it gives the defendants the opportunity to turn on each other. Blame each other for what happened, and cause reasonable doubt.

This should/would likely go better for Lane, as Lane was holding George's legs and not perched on his lungs. Along, of course, with Lane being the one to ask twice about use of the recovery position and performing CPR.

People often wonder why other officers don't intervene in situations like this.Cariol Horne was a police officer who stopped a fellow officer from using a chokehold on a handcuffed suspect in 2008 and was fired.She sued the city and just won and received her pension just this year.With attitudes like this why would a fellow cop turn a bad cop in?

In spite of stories such as this, a morally centred person will do the right thing and face the consequences later.

But, yeah, it has to be very difficult when it's your first day on the job, your superior should know the right thing to do, and you fear your career may be on the line if you cross him.

Last edited:
One thing that I was reading about joint trials the other day is that it gives the defendants the opportunity to turn on each other. Blame each other for what happened, and cause reasonable doubt.

This should/would likely go better for Lane, as Lane was holding George's legs and not perched on his lungs. Along, of course, with Lane being the one to ask twice about use of the recovery position and performing CPR.

Gah, then why is Lane on trial? He did what he was supposed to do short of fighting Chauvin to get him off of Floyd.

Gah, then why is Lane on trial? He did what he was supposed to do short of fighting Chauvin to get him off of Floyd.

I would imagine it is quite simply because a person died while in his (their) custody. And the criminal blame for that is yet to be apportioned.

Kueng also followed procedure to a degree, in that he was the one who took George's pulse a couple of times.

I would imagine it is quite simply because a person died while in his (their) custody. And the criminal blame for that is yet to be apportioned.

Kueng also followed procedure to a degree, in that he was the one who took George's pulse a couple of times.

Unfortunately people die all the time. How about all the people that die under a doctors’s care. Should they be held criminally liable and face jail time? (I am not arguing with you, just frustrated). Some docs get their licensed removed, but Lane is facing criminal charges. Doesn’t seem right to me.

I do think DC should have his “police license” removed, I just question the criminal responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288