Ketchup shortage hits restaurants across United States

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Ketchup shortage hits restaurants across the United States (nbcnews.com)

After the pandemic forced many restaurants to ramp up their takeout game, the demand for those handy individual ketchup packets quickly skyrocketed.

If you're someone who appreciates the phrase "I put ketchup on my ketchup," you'll be interested — and perhaps slightly horrified — to hear about the latest supply chain shortage to hit the country.

As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, ketchup packets are apparently in short supply right now, and restaurants and fast-food chains are struggling to keep up with the demand.

Ketchup has always been a staple condiment for Americans, but since the pandemic forced many restaurants to ramp up their takeout game, the demand for those handy individual packets quickly skyrocketed. And the rules of supply and demand have led to a 13 percent increase in ketchup packet prices since 2020, according to the newspaper...

Ketchup shortage hits restaurants across the United States (nbcnews.com)

After the pandemic forced many restaurants to ramp up their takeout game, the demand for those handy individual ketchup packets quickly skyrocketed.

If you're someone who appreciates the phrase "I put ketchup on my ketchup," you'll be interested — and perhaps slightly horrified — to hear about the latest supply chain shortage to hit the country.

As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, ketchup packets are apparently in short supply right now, and restaurants and fast-food chains are struggling to keep up with the demand.

Ketchup has always been a staple condiment for Americans, but since the pandemic forced many restaurants to ramp up their takeout game, the demand for those handy individual packets quickly skyrocketed. And the rules of supply and demand have led to a 13 percent increase in ketchup packet prices since 2020, according to the newspaper...

You mean Tomato Sauce said the Australian ;)

Now for the educational part from National Geographic:

Ketchup comes from the Hokkien Chinese word, kê-tsiap, the name of a sauce derived from fermented fish. It is believed that traders brought fish sauce from Vietnam to southeastern China.

You woulda never known it at Sonic the other day. I asked for,” a ketchup” and the kid gave me a handful of packets.

Where is this? I must move there! No offense, but "a" ketchup?

Not big on the "extra condiments", but if I am at a BK and they hand me three tiny packets? No! Admitted ketchup junkie. Put it on chicken etc.

So, Europe can't get their garden gnomes, and we need our ketchup packets. Hard times.

I can't stand Ketchup - much too sweet for my palate :eek: I'm a mayo or mustard girl :)

Yes, I find ketchup too sweet as well.

I use Dijon mustard on almost everything, even salad (part of my homemade dressing with olive oil and garlic)! Dijon on roast potatoes, ah....

Also I like mayonnaise (especially with cajun spices) on my fries. That's just me.:)

Last edited:
Where is this? I must move there! No offense, but "a" ketchup?

Not big on the "extra condiments", but if I am at a BK and they hand me three tiny packets? No! Admitted ketchup junkie. Put it on chicken etc.

So, Europe can't get their garden gnomes, and we need our ketchup packets. Hard times.

I need to know more about the "garden gnomes".

Should I be putting padlocks on the ones in my front garden? :eek: Chain them to my tomato plants?

But then the ketchup people may go for my tomato plants!:confused:

I'm flummoxed.

JMO

I need to know more about the "garden gnomes".

Should I be putting padlocks on the ones in my front garden? :eek: Chain them to my tomato plants?

But then the ketchup people may go for my tomato plants!:confused:

I'm flummoxed.

JMO

My fave post this year. Indeed you may have a dilemma @zencompass . @TootsieFootsie let us know due to the Suez Canal blockage all of Europe has a garden gnome shortage.

Chaining them to your tomato plants may put you in double jeopardy! They'll take off with both.

Check it out in the forum "News That Makes Ya Smile ". @Laughing found a DIY way to make a gnome. It's on my tah do list to whip a few up. Send SOS if ya see your gnomes in danger.

God Bless Ketchup and Garden Gnomes.

You mean Tomato Sauce said the Australian ;)

Now for the educational part from National Geographic:

Ketchup comes from the Hokkien Chinese word, kê-tsiap, the name of a sauce derived from fermented fish. It is believed that traders brought fish sauce from Vietnam to southeastern China.

American ketchup is way sweeter than the tomato sauce we have in Australia. (And to an American, if you say 'tomato sauce' I believe they're going to think you mean something you put on pasta)

Oh right.

I always thought it was just the same as what we call tomato sauce.

Thanks for the info.

American ketchup is way sweeter than the tomato sauce we have in Australia. (And to an American, if you say 'tomato sauce' I believe they're going to think you mean something you put on pasta)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back