GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ridiculously low, IMO.

So what happens if a potential juror cannot afford to serve?

So, the expert witnesses get $200+/hr, and the jurors get $2-3/hr ($20/day). That says a lot. JMO.

Edited to fix math
If a person can't afford to be on a long duration trial like a murder they get excused. That's one of the reasons I have for professional jurors.

Juries in those cases are limited to those who work for large company's who can afford to pay them during jury service and have a large number of employees to cover their absence. The other main group are people who work for the government.

Not always a good way to get a jury of one's peer's JMO

From local media:
"In July 2020, more than one year after a jury convicted former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor of murder in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a judge ordered the release of the jurors' names, which had been under seal and available only to the parties. Minnesota v. Noor.Jul 10, 2020"

The judge does not have an option whether or not to do this...just about the timing.

Thanks. Ranch also let me know the judge did release the jurors names in the Damond case. I really wish the judge did not have to do that, especially in the crazy world we live in. As you probably know, on of the witnesses in this case (Floyd) found a pigs head at his doorstep a few days after his testimony. That is really awful and frightening.

Thanks. Ranch also let me know the judge did release the jurors names in the Damond case. I really wish the judge did not have to do that, especially in the crazy world we live in. As you probably know, on of the witnesses in this case (Floyd) found a pigs head at his doorstep a few days after his testimony. That is really awful and frightening.
OMG- I hadn't heard that. Awful! I don't understand why people behave that way...

Well, actually, pig's head was found at a FORMER residence. Somebody else lives there now.

And at the end of the day, drama egos all disperse in the wind as things of no consequence..
There's only the love
And the grief.

Yes - at the end of the day there's only the love and the grief.

But there is also what has been stolen by Derek Chauvin.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of a beloved family member. He stole the life of a beloved community member.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of a brother, a friend, a cousin, a lover.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of a human being.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of George Floyd - and in doing so, he stole George Floyd's future.

For that, Derek Chauvin must answer.

Thank you. My concerns aren't for myself. I'm very concerned for all the children, elderly and business owners. :(

I was just reading in the NY Times that a lot of children held their own protest. While the closing arguments were happening.

Students streamed out of schools across Minnesota on Monday afternoon ..... in a coordinated action that coincided with closing arguments in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer charged with killing George Floyd.

..... students from at least 118 schools participated in the walkout on Monday.

“This is what community looks like!”

The Minneapolis Public Schools said students would not be disciplined for participating in protests as long as the protests remained peaceful.

Minnesota students walk out of schools in solidarity

Last edited:
I was just reading in the NY Times that a lot of children held their own protest. While the closing arguments were happening.

Students streamed out of schools across Minnesota on Monday afternoon ..... in a coordinated action that coincided with closing arguments in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer charged with killing George Floyd.

..... students from at least 118 schools participated in the walkout on Monday.

“This is what community looks like!”

The Minneapolis Public Schools said students would not be disciplined for participating in protests as long as the protests remained peaceful.

Minnesota students walk out of schools in solidarity with the racial justice movement.
I was watching them.
A beautiful sight to behold..
Great heart, great spirit in the US

Biden will speak after Chauvin verdict, has been in touch with local authorities: White House
Biden has been closely watching the trial and provided updates, Psaki said.

“The White House has begun taking steps to prepare for the outcome in the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday, noting the administration was in touch with local officials as closing statements in the trial got underway.

The president recently spoke to Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and top White House officials are engaging with civil rights leaders, as well as mayors in Minnesota and across the country, according to a White House official.”

Nelson objected when Blackwell said Nelson told them stories. Cahill overruled.

Blackwell is using this graphic to represent everyday George Floyd lived. He says there was only one dot corresponding with May 25, 2020.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1384240434700972051?s=21

He went into one of the dots to show that it was made up of other moments. But only one of those moments included “deadly force.”

Just want to add a little more about the dots (for those, like me, who were unable to watch the rebuttal).

"Using a chart that showed a dot for every day that Mr. Floyd was alive, Mr. Blackwell spoke of how unlikely it would be that Mr. Floyd would happen to die on May 25, if not for Mr. Chauvin’s use of force. Jurors must decide whether Mr. Chauvin’s restraint was a “substantial factor” in Mr. Floyd’s death, not whether it was the sole factor."

And the powerful closure ...

"Mr. Blackwell ended his rebuttal by reminding jurors that some witnesses had said Mr. Floyd died because his heart was too big. “Now, having seen all the evidence, having heard all the evidence, you know the truth,” he said. “The truth of the matter is that the reason George Floyd is dead is because Mr. Chauvin’s heart was too small.” "

Takeaways from the closing arguments of the Derek Chauvin trial.

Yes - at the end of the day there's only the love and the grief.

But there is also what has been stolen by Derek Chauvin.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of a beloved family member. He stole the life of a beloved community member.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of a brother, a friend, a cousin, a lover.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of a human being.

Derek Chauvin stole the life of George Floyd - and in doing so, he stole George Floyd's future.

For that, Derek Chauvin must answer.
Indeed.
I really find it so difficult to listen to a defense attorney justifying that in an inane way.
At one stage during his closing, he referred to it as 'the incident'

There's something wrong with someone who repeatedly plays the recording of his murder in an effort to defend it.

For me, that's when it has gone too far.
His family were there, his friends were witnessing it... grieving people had to watch their loved one's vicious murder being used to serve an inane defense of it.
Cruelty is the game.

What Happens If Derek Chauvin Is Convicted, Or If He's Acquitted?

“If there is a conviction the jury will have a second job to do. The jury will have to go back and deliberate on whether any aggravating factors existed.

The first possible aggravating factor is whether the victim was “treated with particular cruelty.” The second is if a child was present. Witnesses at the scene and who testified included two teens who were 17 at the time, as well as a 9-year-old.

“If they find aggravating factors the judge could go all the way up to the statutory maximum, which for count one is up to 40 years, count two up to 25 years, and count three up to 10 years,” Tamburino said.

If Chauvin is in fact acquitted he still could face federal criminal civil rights charges. A grand jury has been meeting to consider those charges, and if he were to be charged and convicted in federal court, that sentence could be up to life in prison.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa