MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.....

What could be the concequences if one fails to appear for a Court hearing (whether zoom or in person does not matter) pertaining to a charge of felony robbery?

Might the police be authorized to arrest such a person? Could that involve the reinstatement of an arrest warrant?

According to this defense attorney, missing a court date leads to the judge issuing an arrest warrant for the original charge (go figure):

What Happens If You Fail to Appear for Court? — #LadyJustice Speaks.

Well we have figured, actually.
The warrant was for an entirely different charge.
His lawyer has stated he was not informed and that his lawyer was also not informed. (DailyBeast linked several times upthread)

We have already spent a lot of time discussing this matter and it has been clarified.

He did NOT have a warrant for felony robbery.
He had a trial date for that. All relevant links are posted upthread.
This was to do with a non appearance at a zoom hearing.

DW had a warrant for missing a video hearing on 4/2/21 on the Carry/Possess Pistol w/out a permit and fleeing a peace officer charges.

Case: 27-CR-21-4400 - 1) CARRY/POSSESS PISTOL W/OUT PERMIT - PUBLIC PLACE - GROSS MISDEMEANOR.
2) FLEEING A PEACE OFFICER BY A MEANS OTHER THAN A MOTOR VEHICL
Date Offense: 6/30/2020 Date Filed: 3/4/21
4/2/2021 - Missed Hearing (video), Warrant Issued

Case: 27-CR-19-29850 - Aggravated Robbery-1st Degree
27-CR-19-29849 (companion case)
Date: 12/1/2019

https://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

I'm not sure I understand your question?

Sorry. I meant the notice to appear at the zoom meeting. His attorney said Duante never received that notice, right? But could that be due to the fact that Duante had missed meetings with his parole officer? If he had not missed those meetings I assume they would have made sure he knew about the upcoming meeting.

Sorry. I meant the notice to appear at the zoom meeting. His attorney said Duante never received that notice, right? But could that be due to the fact that Duante had missed meetings with his parole officer? If he had not missed those meetings I assume they would have made sure he knew about the upcoming meeting.
No..
He was allegedly involved in a gun possession last Summer and he ran when the police came.
He has a lawyer, a public defender and the hearing for that case, not the early case from 2019, was set for April 2 via zoom. He didn't show up and his lawyer said neither of them were notified.

In an earlier case a court notice to attend a case had actually been sent to a wrong address, but they knew about that because the letterwas returned to the court.
In the most recent case the summons that they said was sent did not bounce back.
But his lawyer was not notified about it either which seems very strange.
It was no big deal of a case, it was classified as a gross dismeanor only.

The alleged robbery at the alleged gunpoint was not due to be heard until December and there were no open warrants on that case. That all happened in 2019.
He did not actually get any money and the affidavit made reference to # something that resembled a gun'.
Him and his mate crashed with two girls and one claimed they attempted to rob her in the morning.
No idea what the full story is to that event.

That's about the size of it.
A lot of the media got it wrong, misreported, usual lark...

And this is the case that has sparked the most recent protests in Mn.

It might of had something to do with his warrant for robbery.

For example, as the police did not know who was driving the car per se, they might not have been able to stop it on the basis that the registered owner had a felony warrant.

But, if the car had expired registration, they could stop it regardless of who was driving. The driver, once identified, could then be arrested for any outstanding warrants.

it was registered to his mom.

OK.....

What could be the concequences if one fails to appear for a Court hearing (whether zoom or in person does not matter) pertaining to a charge of felony robbery?

Might the police be authorized to arrest such a person? Could that involve the reinstatement of an arrest warrant?

According to this defense attorney, missing a court date leads to the judge issuing an arrest warrant for the original charge (go figure):

What Happens If You Fail to Appear for Court? — #LadyJustice Speaks.

they did have authority to arrest however the warrant was a gross misd for a violation of his bail restrictions. it was not a felony warrant. i think it had a 500 bail.

they did have authority to arrest however the warrant was a gross misd for a violation of his bail restrictions. it was not a felony warrant. i think it had a 500 bail.
It was actually for a failure to show up for the zoom hearing.
He had not been convicted. Only charged.
If he had been found guilty it may have led to violations charges ..

It was actually for a failure to show up for the zoom hearing.
He had not been convicted. Only charged.
If he had been found guilty it may have led to violations charges ..

not violation of prob or parole, of bail restrictions. you dont have to be convicted to have things you are prohibited from doing while on bail.

deleted by me, wrong thread

not violation of prob or parole, of bail restrictions. you dont have to be convicted to have things you are prohibited from doing while on bail.
But it was classed as a gross misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of 500$..
The warrant was for the no show.

The one outstanding warrant for Wright's arrest, Hennepin County authorities confirmed, was issued after the young man failed to appear for a hearing on April 2. The court date was to deal with a gross misdemeanor charge dating to last summer, when Wright allegedly got caught carrying a pistol without a permit and fled from a peace officer.

Arthur Martinez, a public defender who represented Wright, said he believed his client had never received notice of the scheduled appearance—and said that the court had not informed him either.

“He obviously didn’t get it, and no one notified me, and a date came up for April 2nd for 2:30 in the afternoon, and him not knowing about it, didn’t show up, and there was a warrant issued for his arrest,” said Martinez, who shared an image of the warrant with The Daily Beast that shows that the judge set bail at a $3,000 bond or $500 in cash.

“That’s how not serious this is: it’s a $500 bail. This wasn’t a $50,000 bail. This isn’t something where he allegedly did something violent to someone,” he said. “It’s not even a felony. It’s a gross misdemeanor. To tase or shoot somebody is insane.”
Police Chief Claims Cop Who Killed Minnesota Black Man Accidentally Fired Gun Instead of Taser

That is what his lawyer is saying.
But I hear you.

But it was classed as a gross misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of 500$..
The warrant was for the no show.

The one outstanding warrant for Wright's arrest, Hennepin County authorities confirmed, was issued after the young man failed to appear for a hearing on April 2. The court date was to deal with a gross misdemeanor charge dating to last summer, when Wright allegedly got caught carrying a pistol without a permit and fled from a peace officer.

Arthur Martinez, a public defender who represented Wright, said he believed his client had never received notice of the scheduled appearance—and said that the court had not informed him either.

“He obviously didn’t get it, and no one notified me, and a date came up for April 2nd for 2:30 in the afternoon, and him not knowing about it, didn’t show up, and there was a warrant issued for his arrest,” said Martinez, who shared an image of the warrant with The Daily Beast that shows that the judge set bail at a $3,000 bond or $500 in cash.

“That’s how not serious this is: it’s a $500 bail. This wasn’t a $50,000 bail. This isn’t something where he allegedly did something violent to someone,” he said. “It’s not even a felony. It’s a gross misdemeanor. To tase or shoot somebody is insane.”
Police Chief Claims Cop Who Killed Minnesota Black Man Accidentally Fired Gun Instead of Taser

That is what his lawyer is saying.
But I hear you.

i know all that. im in agreement.

Brooklyn Center residents demand reform after Daunte Wright death | kare11.com

"No more traffic stops for petty violations in the City of Brooklyn Center. No more using those petty violations in attempt to harass and look for other infractions," he said. "We demand to be seen, we demand to be heard and we demand to be respected and valued as human beings by the officers and the system."

Brooklyn Center residents demand reform after Daunte Wright death | kare11.com

"No more traffic stops for petty violations in the City of Brooklyn Center. No more using those petty violations in attempt to harass and look for other infractions," he said. "We demand to be seen, we demand to be heard and we demand to be respected and valued as human beings by the officers and the system."
Isn't that taking it a little too far? Why would anyone bother to buy current tabs for their car if you can't be pulled over and get a ticket for not having them? Running a stop sign is also a petty violation. So no one can get pulled over for that either?

Isn't that taking it a little too far? Why would anyone bother to buy current tabs for their car if you can't be pulled over and get a ticket for not having them? Running a stop sign is also a petty violation. So no one can get pulled over for that either?
Shooting an unarmed kid in his vehicle is taking it too far.
They're trying to do things better and I wish them the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998