GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I CAN NOT believe thePresident of the United States has made the comments he did yesterday and today. Totally inappropriate and in violation of the Constitution. Not to mention it adds even more fodder to the arguments for an overturn on an appeal.
Not trying to even the score politically but if Nixon didn't really affect Manson's trial, neither will this.
Though I do agree ANYONE outside the trial should refrain from making comments, specially people in power in other branches and the higher up you are, the worse it comes out if you do comment.

I agree, and that's why I stated his admonishment was too vague, but those were his specific instructions.
If he stated for example" tomorrow we are going to start on time" would that mean 9 am? Would it mean after the discussions between the state and defense are over? It leaves it wide open for interpretation.
Most judges give admonishments before even allowing the jury to take a ten minute break. In this case, He let them go for a 3 day weekend without saying a word, and that's why I think Nelson made a good point. It just adds another reason to the long list for an appeal IMO, if Chauvin is convicted.
I admit I was uncomfortable with the 3-day weekend before closing arguments. I wish they had been sequestered starting then. But, they weren't.

jmo

That's what I read to... So, if they get a verdict late, will they even announce that they have one, but will read it in the morning?
I'm thinking they would hold all info until morning, but would the jury have to stay overnight in the hotel? Would press notice them leaving? I don't know.

jmo

Not trying to even the score politically but if Nixon didn't really affect Manson's trial, neither will this.
Though I do agree ANYONE outside the trial should refrain from making comments, specially people in power in other branches and the higher up you are, the worse it comes out if you do comment.

I think the times are different though... they didn't have twitter, facebook, mobile alerts, TV shows that have addressed the issues and specifically mention this case, 24 hour news cycles, etc. JMO

Perhaps the judge felt that since the jurors were adults, not children, when he told them initially not to watch the news or discuss the trial, he gave them credit for knowing it was an all inclusive deal and they didn't need to be reminded every day?

One possibility, although I'm not married to it.
I'd agree with that if the jury was instructed on day one and told to remember the rules throughout the trial, but that wasn't what happened. He never mentioned anything until at least a week into the trial.
I think it would be fair to say that there may be at least one juror that's never been one before, and may not know how trials work, but I may be wrong.

That's what I read to... So, if they get a verdict late, will they even announce that they have one, but will read it in the morning?

I know that they are trying to avoid the night time verdict .. BUT.. I am hoping if they do come to an agreement late in the day, that it is not announced until morning too. It seems that giving some hours to coordinate demonstrations/protests is not a good idea either. JMO

Are they allowed to leave after reaching a verdict but it hasn’t been read to the court yet?
No. the Judge may take a poll with each juror so they can't leave until they are dismissed by him.
If Chauvin agreed to have the jury decide whether or not they would decide on the aggravating factors, they would not be dismissed until they did so, but the Judge will do that.

I think the times are different though... they didn't have twitter, facebook, mobile alerts, TV shows that have addressed the issues and specifically mention this case, 24 hour news cycles, etc. JMO
Sure, but didn't he basically slap them with the headline of the newspaper on Court, that could easily have been a mistrial. Easily, but it wasn't.
That was my point, the Defendant brought to Court that newspaper, showed it to all and made a point that there could be no fair trial, and I would have believed it to be a compelling argument, but it wasn't enough.
That's my recollection of what happened from seeing it on Youtube and whatnot, that was far before my time, FWIW.

Are they allowed to leave after reaching a verdict but it hasn’t been read to the court yet?
The jury will be brought into the courtroom when the verdict is read. I would assume Nelson would want them polled. The judge will thank them for their service and release them. At that point, they will be released from sequestration.

No. the Judge may take a poll with each juror so they can't leave until they are dismissed by him.
If Chauvin agreed to have the jury decide whether or not they would decide on the aggravating factors, they would not be dismissed until they did so, but the Judge will do that.
they are right there in court during the reading of the verdict. in fact usually the judge will ask to meet with them in chambers after the verdict...to personally thank them etc. I assume same will happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam