Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re probably right! Definitely points to an unhealthy relationship with food. Perhaps control in that area was vital to Esther as she couldn’t control anything else.
It all sounds quite bleak. I’m wondering whether Dan was frantically trying to help her by all the messages and encouragement and had recognised she was in some turmoil.

Eeeh...what? Esther had trouble with her weight as a child, and was eating badly before she and Dan decided to drastically change their lives. There is no mystery here, they tell it all on their website.

What makes you think that "Esther couldn't control anything else?"

What makes me think Esther couldn’t control anything else? Well, none of us can control anything else ... best laid plans and all that. Esther, at the time of her disappearance, was being challenged by COVID restrictions, a possible discrepancy between her and Dan’s future living plans, financial restrictions etc. Sometimes, when life is throwing challenges, people take control in the only way they can. For some, this manifests by restricting food intake.
I don’t presume or assume this was the case with Esther but it is a possibility... hence my use of word ‘perhaps’. I was agreeing with some of what Konstantin had posted and adding a suggestion. Nothing more.

<snipped and bolded by me for focus>

-- The couple do seem to have had diverging plans on what they wanted to do. They had been living a bit of a fantasy lifestyle traveling about for years but the reality was they were running out of money

Do we have any evidence of that?

My impression is that, while probably not exactly rolling in money, neither was especially materialistic, and that they had found a way to sustain their lifestyle over the last 6 years.

Some good points in your post though and nice to see a summary from a fresh pair of eyes on the thread.

Last edited:
The Olive Press also has this article from 10 Dec 2020, and it says Dan was meant to meet Esther on the 25th at an event at Gascony. This is the first time I've heard about this event:

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...as-images-on-social-media-suggest-say-police/

".... Esther reached the mountain top and sent her boyfriend a selfie of her smiling from the summit. That was the last time anyone heard from Esther, and boyfriend Colgate reported her missing three days later when she didn’t show up at an event he was at in Gascony, southwestern France."

Apologies link didn't work. Here it is again:

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...mages-on-social-media-suggest-say-police/amp/

I think "she didn’t show up at an event he was at in Gascony, southwestern France." probably just means "she didn’t show up at the farmhouse he was at in Gascony, southwestern France."

I thought they had some kind of book launch event that was supposed to take place very near the time she went missing.

BBM
From the site linked below, "If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another.

Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen area
ico-external-link.png
, it is still always highly recommended to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.). Schengen EU countries have the possibility of adopting national rules obliging you to hold or carry papers and documents when you are present on their territory."

I have a hunch she is somewhere in Spain.
However, it appears Esther, as a national of Netherlands, could cross borders within the Schengen area without showing ID.

I'm curious how, with no ID necessary, a person could prove what nationality they hold.
Travel documents for EU nationals

Well, that wasn't what I was asking.

I was asking if we know whether she had her documents - as at the time, there were COVID restrictions at the borders (mentioned many times by LE) such that she ought not to have crossed the border. So, I believe that during COVID, there must be some activity to make sure that the borders stay closed (they are closed now, as well).

Further, her passport would have been British and she would have had to account, at some point, for her stay on the Continent (90 days max per 180 day period). This was looming on the horizon, so if she really planned to continue traveling around Europe, going across national boundaries, she either was/is doing that without papers or she was/is doing it with papers.

If she truly didn't realize she needed some official form of ID during COVID, that would be interesting too.

Now, you say she's Dutch and wikipedia says she's British. She was certainly born and raised in UK - but do you have evidence that she applied for settled status in The Netherlands?

EU national or not, when borders are being opened and shut to everyone except essential travelers and France in particular was requiring a computer-based pre-statement before crossing the border (even for EU citizens) and clearly stated on their website that ID was needed, I am still asking whether Esther had any.

If not, then yes, she is likely still in Spain. For all we know, she had a separate phone, separate ATM and separate bank account. All one needs is a computer to set up most of that.

But if she has dual citizenship (which I've never read, so obviously I've fallen behind in the news articles - every one that I find says she's a Briton). It would explain a lot, though, if she had dual citizenship (in which case she could have gotten back into France if she had proof she was Dutch and transiting through to The Netherlands - they require that you show your ticket and allow you enough time to get through the nation, is what my French friends and family say).

I think it is the same in Spain (not sure) and it is certainly the same in The Netherlands and Belgium, because I check impatiently almost every day.

Well, that wasn't what I was asking.

I was asking if we know whether she had her documents - as at the time, there were COVID restrictions at the borders (mentioned many times by LE) such that she ought not to have crossed the border. So, I believe that during COVID, there must be some activity to make sure that the borders stay closed (they are closed now, as well).

Further, her passport would have been British and she would have had to account, at some point, for her stay on the Continent (90 days max per 180 day period). This was looming on the horizon, so if she really planned to continue traveling around Europe, going across national boundaries, she either was/is doing that without papers or she was/is doing it with papers.

If she truly didn't realize she needed some official form of ID during COVID, that would be interesting too.

Now, you say she's Dutch and wikipedia says she's British. She was certainly born and raised in UK - but do you have evidence that she applied for settled status in The Netherlands?

EU national or not, when borders are being opened and shut to everyone except essential travelers and France in particular was requiring a computer-based pre-statement before crossing the border (even for EU citizens) and clearly stated on their website that ID was needed, I am still asking whether Esther had any.

If not, then yes, she is likely still in Spain. For all we know, she had a separate phone, separate ATM and separate bank account. All one needs is a computer to set up most of that.

But if she has dual citizenship (which I've never read, so obviously I've fallen behind in the news articles - every one that I find says she's a Briton). It would explain a lot, though, if she had dual citizenship (in which case she could have gotten back into France if she had proof she was Dutch and transiting through to The Netherlands - they require that you show your ticket and allow you enough time to get through the nation, is what my French friends and family say).

I think it is the same in Spain (not sure) and it is certainly the same in The Netherlands and Belgium, because I check impatiently almost every day.

On their website (among other places) it is mentioned that Esther has a dutch passport:

Lost in France – Brexit Driven Meanderings | Esther & Dan - Adventuring Together - Life, Love, Health & Travel

Plus, Esther has a Dutch passport so we will always be able to settle in Europe in the future one way or another.

BBM

It is also mentioned on various 'missing'posters in Spanish:

La montañera desaparecida es de nacionalidad inglesa-holandesa, llamada Esther María Dingley

5fca4baf2e6f8.jpeg

I thought they had some kind of book launch event that was supposed to take place very near the time she went missing.

I'm not aware of a specific physical event, though there was some online activity promoting the puppy books (presumably instigated by DC) around the time, and also of course the BBC article which went live on the very day she went missing.

No new news of Esther, but it appears searches for her have begun again.
Rescue teams searching for Brit hiker Esther Dingley find body of man

That is most likely fake news. Miguel Villarroya went missing in a different area and he was found on the French side of the Arriel Peak.

The distance between the Arriel peak and the Salvaguardia is at least 70 kms as the crow flies. It is hard to imagine that anyone would go searching there for Esther Dingley instead of near the Salvaguardia.

I see that more outlets publish this as "news"
animated-smileys-angry-054.gif
animated-smileys-angry-068.gif

Why in the name of common sense?? The remains of Miguel Villaroya were found on April 8, almost two weeks ago when temperatures were still low and there was frost and snow in the Benasque area.

In fact, there still is snow as we speak in the Pyrenees near Benasque.

Skiable altitude remains high, above 1,900-2,000m on northern slopes and above 2,200m on sunny slopes.
Spring type blanket on almost all slopes, with morning snow crust, transforming to spring snow. On the northern slopes above 2,400m we can still find fresh snow, to which a few cm will be added tomorrow, Tuesday, for enthusiasts (like myself) of late season ski touring.

En las Maladetas se respira invierno

Earlier, I posted about Miguel Villarroya here:

Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #5

What makes me think Esther couldn’t control anything else? Well, none of us can control anything else ... best laid plans and all that. Esther, at the time of her disappearance, was being challenged by COVID restrictions, a possible discrepancy between her and Dan’s future living plans, financial restrictions etc. Sometimes, when life is throwing challenges, people take control in the only way they can. For some, this manifests by restricting food intake.
I don’t presume or assume this was the case with Esther but it is a possibility... hence my use of word ‘perhaps’. I was agreeing with some of what Konstantin had posted and adding a suggestion. Nothing more.

I’ve frequently wondered if Esther had an eating disorder...based on years of observing two close family members who have struggled with the same. Onset was chubbiness in teenage years. This was followed in each case with first healthy, then unhealthy weight loss, bulimia, etc.

‘Recovery” has meant a certain stability but that includes a necessity for very strenuous daily exercise, so-called “healthy eating’ that is limited in what is considered acceptable to them...and, as therapists have pointed out, a desire for a psychological sense of control in all areas of life.

It’s these last three points that have led to to suspect that Esther does not have a healthy relationship with food. In fact, bringing a meager amount of provisions on her hikes is a form of that “control” and self-denial so frequent among sufferers. If she did, Covid and it’s control over all of us...would have been even more disturbing for Esther than the average person;

I just read a bit of “Meet Esther” from their blog. She mentions that she was diagnosed before they began their life in the motor home with M.E./CFS. Here’s some information on that disease. It appears to be chronic....does anyone know if there is a life long cure? 0r could symptoms have presented themselves again on this last trek?

Handout: Could You Have ME/CFS? pdf icon[PDF – 1 page]

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a disabling and complex illness.

People with ME/CFS are often not able to do their usual activities. At times, ME/CFS may confine them to bed. People with ME/CFS have overwhelming fatigue that is not improved by rest. ME/CFS may get worse after any activity, whether it’s physical or mental. This symptom is known as post-exertional malaise (PEM). Other symptoms can include problems with sleep, thinking and concentrating, pain, and dizziness. People with ME/CFS may not look ill. However,

• People with ME/CFS are not able to function the same way they did before they became ill.
  • ME/CFS changes people’s ability to do daily tasks, like taking a shower or preparing a meal.
  • ME/CFS often makes it hard to keep a job, go to school, and take part in family and social life.
  • ME/CFS can last for years and sometimes leads to serious disability.
  • At least one in four ME/CFS patients is bed- or house-bound for long periods during their illness.

It would explain a lot, though, if she had dual citizenship (in which case she could have gotten back into France if she had proof she was Dutch and transiting through to The Netherlands - they require that you show your ticket and allow you enough time to get through the nation, is what my French friends and family say).
Snipped for focus.
It sounds like "transiting" is the operative word here. IMO ED and DC had no intention of hanging out in the Netherlands.

Snipped for focus.
It sounds like "transiting" is the operative word here. IMO ED and DC had no intention of hanging out in the Netherlands.

Were either of them actually citizens of The Netherlands? Because every European to whom I've mentioned this missing person case has immediately asked what her passport status was - and whether she could have feared having to give up her life of travel.

I don't think either wanted to go to The Netherlands either, and I see no space in her resumé or her personal story for her to have gained citizenship there - but if there's one thing I've learned since Brexit, some people did everything possible to get permanent residency/citizenship on the continent (in addition to their UK citizenship).

On another topic: As far as I know there are no life-long cures (or even stable treatments) for Chronic Fatigue (it's only been understood at the cellular level rather recently).

Were either of them actually citizens of The Netherlands? Because every European to whom I've mentioned this missing person case has immediately asked what her passport status was - and whether she could have feared having to give up her life of travel.

I don't think either wanted to go to The Netherlands either, and I see no space in her resumé or her personal story for her to have gained citizenship there - but if there's one thing I've learned since Brexit, some people did everything possible to get permanent residency/citizenship on the continent (in addition to their UK citizenship).

On another topic: As far as I know there are no life-long cures (or even stable treatments) for Chronic Fatigue (it's only been understood at the cellular level rather recently).
As Esther is 37 years old, my guess is that she was born before 1 January 1985, and thus not automatically a Dutch citizen from birth.
If her mother was a Dutch citizen at the time of the birth of ED (if born before 1 January 1985), then Esther could have applied/can apply for Dutch citizenship as a "latent Dutch" if she fulfills the five conditions in Legislation 31.813 (R1875), see under By option here: Dutch nationality law - Wikipedia
There is no requirement for residency in the Netherlands for those who apply as a "latent Dutch".
As for DC, even if he and ED have been together long enough to apply for Dutch citizenship by naturalisation, I'm not sure they have lived together in the Netherlands for three years (in the same Wikipedia article).

Esther was born in Amsterdam, and does have a Dutch passport. This Dutch website describes her as 'Nederlandse-Britse......which means 'Dutch-British'. So even though she grew up in the UK, technically she's a dual-national.

Week geleden verdwenen: Zoektocht naar in Pyreneeën verdwenen Nederlandse-Britse Esther (37)
Do you have a link that indicates that she has a Dutch passport? That she was born in Amsterdam didn't automatically made her a Dutch citizen, as Dutch citizenship at birth depends on the parents' citizenship. If Esther was born before 1 January 1985, she could not become a Dutch citizen through her mother, as until then Dutch citizenship was only passed to a child through the father.
As for the website describes her as "Dutch-British", as her mother is Dutch and her father is British, that is true, but that doesn't necessary mean that she has a dual citizenship as the Netherlands doesn't favour dual citizenship, see the Wikipedia link in my post above. It might be possible for Esther to have both British and Dutch citizenship if she had got the Dutch one by the option alternative, but it's not certain.

Last edited:

Do you have a link that indicates that she has a Dutch passport? That she was born in Amsterdam didn't automatically made her a Dutch citizen, as Dutch citizenship at birth depends on the parents' citizenship. If Esther was born before 1 January 1985, she could not become a Dutch citizen through her mother, as until then Dutch citizenship was only passed to a child through the father.
As for the website describes her as "Dutch-British", as her mother is Dutch and her father is British, that is true, but that doesn't necessary mean that she has a dual citizenship as the Netherlands doesn't favour dual citizenship, see the Wikipedia link in my post above. It might be possible for Esther to have both British and Dutch citizenship if she had got the Dutch one by the option alternative, but it's not certain.

Dutch nationality is a requirement for a Dutch passport.
Since Esther has a Dutch passport, we can safely assume that she also has the Dutch nationality.

On their website (among other places) it is mentioned that Esther has a dutch passport:

Lost in France – Brexit Driven Meanderings | Esther & Dan - Adventuring Together - Life, Love, Health & Travel

Plus, Esther has a Dutch passport so we will always be able to settle in Europe in the future one way or another.

BBM

It is also mentioned on various 'missing' posters in Spanish:

La montañera desaparecida es de nacionalidad inglesa-holandesa, llamada Esther María Dingley

5fca4baf2e6f8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members