GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO, but any LEO who is currently considering calling in sick or protesting over a fellow officer finally being held accountable for their murderous actions in a court of law - perhaps they should be considering a change of career. Because that makes them part of the problem. That makes them an apologist and enabler of those so-called 'bad apples'. LEO are supposed to be protecting and serving the community and they are not above the law. No one should be.

If you don't want to be held responsible for your conduct as an officer of the law, if you believe you and your buddies should be allowed to ignore due process and be judge jury and executioner on the streets, you need to resign. You are not fit to wear the badge, in my opinion.

“President Joe Biden welcomed Tuesday's guilty verdict in the murder trial of a former Minneapolis police officer but said the outcome was "too rare" for the country to turn away now from issues of systemic racism.

"I can't breathe. Those were George Floyd's last words," Biden said, evoking the final utterance of the man Derek Chauvin was convicted of murdering. "We can't let those words die with him. We have to keep hearing those words. We must not turn away. We can't turn away."”

White House: Biden says verdict in Chauvin trial could be a step toward racial justice in America and urges country to come together

“Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try and love one another right now...”❤️

Last edited:
JMO, but any LEO who is currently considering calling in sick or protesting over a fellow officer finally being held accountable for their murderous actions in a court of law - perhaps they should be considering a change of career. Because that makes them part of the problem. That makes them an apologist and enabler of those so-called 'bad apples'. LEO are supposed to be protecting and serving the community and they are not above the law. No one should be.

If you don't want to be held responsible for your conduct as an officer of the law, if you believe you and your buddies should be allowed to ignore due process and be judge jury and executioner on the streets, you need to resign. You are not fit to wear the badge, in my opinion.
What makes you think LEO are thinking about calling in sick or protesting over this verdict? Link please.

There needs to be so many changes made, all around, IMO.

A truth and reconciliation type commission over law and justice??

It doesn't help when every little town and county, let alone State, has its own rules and regulations.

It's a ***** maze to be sure.

The Tenth Amendment preserves the rights of states and don't allow for that that kind of law.

So how is he guilty of subd2 item 1?

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

(2) causes the death of a human being while committing or attempting to commit a drive-by shooting in violation of section 609.66, subdivision 1e, under circumstances other than those described in section 609.185, paragraph (a), clause (3).

Subd. 2.Unintentional murders.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or

(2) causes the death of a human being without intent to effect the death of any person, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim, when the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection and the victim is a person designated to receive protection under the order. As used in this clause, "order for protection" includes an order for protection issued under chapter 518B; a harassment restraining order issued under section 609.748; a court order setting conditions of pretrial release or conditions of a criminal sentence or juvenile court disposition; a restraining order issued in a marriage dissolution action; and any order issued by a court of another state or of the United States that is similar to any of these orders.

They are saying his treatment of Mr. Floyd was a felony. And, therefore, the murder was done in the commission of a felony.

I’m not surprised, but can’t wrap my head around the celebrating going on. It looks like footage from Marti Gras when I see the news. I, probably more than most, would love nothing more than to see change. I also don’t anticipate that happening. It didn’t happen with the last trial like this and I don’t see it happening with the next. WHAT can we possibly do to avoid this happening again? It’s not one thing, in my opinion.

It’s scary to me.

I agree with you: I am very pleased with the verdict but the celebration, like it is Mardi Gras, is troubling. I couldn't watch it.

Terrence Floyd, the rare Floyd brother who set off for New York City rather than stay in the family’s home base of Houston, thanked activists Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton – both of whom were present – for their longtime commitment to civil rights.

“He showed me how to be strong. He showed me how to be respectful. He showed me how to speak my mind,’’ Terrence Floyd said. “I’m going to miss him, but now I know he’s in history. What a day to be a Floyd, man.’’
George Floyd family expresses relief, thanks after guilty verdict

So how is he guilty of subd2 item 1?

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

(2) causes the death of a human being while committing or attempting to commit a drive-by shooting in violation of section 609.66, subdivision 1e, under circumstances other than those described in section 609.185, paragraph (a), clause (3).

Subd. 2.Unintentional murders.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or

(2) causes the death of a human being without intent to effect the death of any person, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim, when the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection and the victim is a person designated to receive protection under the order. As used in this clause, "order for protection" includes an order for protection issued under chapter 518B; a harassment restraining order issued under section 609.748; a court order setting conditions of pretrial release or conditions of a criminal sentence or juvenile court disposition; a restraining order issued in a marriage dissolution action; and any order issued by a court of another state or of the United States that is similar to any of these orders.

The felony was assault in the third degree.

Here is a link to the jury instructions, has all the charges in it.

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/me...s/27-CR-20-12646/JuryInstructions04192021.pdf

e

Only some of them do. I've done field testing for one large agency, but not a single one of the local city departments in the same county do the testing.

When I first started working with LE, about 20 years ago, as a teacher and consultant, several agencies on the West Coast were using the MMPI - and looking for people who scored higher in masculinity and in a trait that is associated with antisocial behavior.

Because hypermasculinity, tough guys make good cops? The person who hired me was very forward-thinking - and wanted to change that. He also wanted to give women a chance at police work and believed they would make the entire department better through their influence. He also had really strict rules about their training and 4 years of what was basically probation before they could be in a squad car.

IME, that's unusual.

I find it shocking that more police organizations don't use the tools to weed out those who already have an 'us vs them' attitude or those that seem to be chomping at the bit to deliver some kind of frontier justice.

I know what you mean about the hypermasculinity that was revered as being the gold standard for policing. That did start to change when we started hiring women 1974 (and one of our first female recruits ended up having the highest role in the organization) and minorities. There is still room for improvement.

LE are involved in so many circumstances that don't require brute force, they require empathy and the ability to de-escalate a situation so no one ends up in a body bag. That includes eliminating practices that target certain segments of society. I think it is crucial to demand that LE agencies use all available tools to ensure they hire officers who represent the population so that cultural biases and resentments can be tamped down through education.

Pelosi faces intense backlash after thanking George Floyd for 'sacrificing your life for justice'

Critics from both sides of the aisle blasted Pelosi's tone-deaf remarks.

"Nancy Pelosi thanks George Floyd for being murdered," Huffington Post editor Philip Lewis summed up.

"What in the actual f," New York Post columnist Karol Markowicz reacted.

"Ummm... he didn’t sacrifice his life... he was brutally, horrifically murdered. What the hell is this," Guardian writer Hannah Parkinson tweeted.

"Sacrifice implies he had a choice," LA Times reporter Melissa Evans similarly wrote.

Pelosi faces intense backlash after thanking George Floyd for 'sacrificing your life for justice'

Theres little need for many changes in policing policy. What can be hoped for is better decisions by officers, more closely monitored training so officers adhere to policy and better hiring practices.

IMO, there is a tremendous need for policing policy changes. There are issues with the use of force, de-escalation, and more. The chief in Minneapolis believes there is need for change. Many communities and departments have declared a need for change.

I agree about monitoring trainings and better hiring but would add an easier pathway to getting rid of bad LE officers.

As I have said, I have relatives who are LE. They openly talk about the bad or sloppy or racist or unstable LE they know. They won't partner with them. They work hard to steer clear of them for fear of being caught in the crossfire-- literally and figuratively. Some people are not meant to be in this line of work and there has to be ways of separating from them before tragedy strikes.

Critics from both sides of the aisle blasted Pelosi's tone-deaf remarks.

"Nancy Pelosi thanks George Floyd for being murdered," Huffington Post editor Philip Lewis summed up.

"What in the actual f," New York Post columnist Karol Markowicz reacted.

"Ummm... he didn’t sacrifice his life... he was brutally, horrifically murdered. What the hell is this," Guardian writer Hannah Parkinson tweeted.

"Sacrifice implies he had a choice," LA Times reporter Melissa Evans similarly wrote.

To be fair though, it would not matter what she said, she would be pilloried.

That's absolutely horrendous.

I had a family member dragged, with a noose around his neck, to his death.

I had hoped that such hatred was behind us.

OMG I am so sorry. I can't imagine the horror and hurt and what may be even worse the paralysis of knowing there would be no justice in such a loss.

Last edited:
IMO, there is a tremendous need for policing policy changes. There are issues with the use of force, de-escalation, and more. The chief in Minneapolis believes there is need for change. Many communities and departments have declared a need for change.

I agree about monitoring trainings and better hiring but would add an easier pathway to getting rid of bad LE officers.

As I have said, I have relatives who are LE. They openly talk about the bad or sloppy or racist or unstable LE they know. They won't partner with them. They work hard to steer clear of them for fear of being caught in the crossfire-- literally and figuratively. Some people are not meant to be in this line of work and there has to be ways of separating from them before tragedy strikes.
Why do these relatives continue to work for a department that condones this horrible behavior? I assume that they have filed complaints with supervisors that have not been resolved. Time to find a department that doesn't allow that kind of behavior from their officers. JMO

Also some 30 years ago, I began dating this person in Vermont where we met skiing. His brother in Kentucky was getting married, and I was invited. His brother was a state trooper. The brother had no qualms about bragging how he and his colleagues had fun terrorizing black people when pulling them over on the road for no reason. Many there were laughing along, including this new guy I was with, and his extended family. I was appalled and scared and couldn't wait to get out of there. Needless to say, that was the end of any potential relationship.

WS is such a small portion of the universe but these stories we hear in this community could probably be multiplied a thousand fold.

I find it shocking that more police organizations don't use the tools to weed out those who already have an 'us vs them' attitude or those that seem to be chomping at the bit to deliver some kind of frontier justice.

I know what you mean about the hypermasculinity that was revered as being the gold standard for policing. That did start to change when we started hiring women 1974 (and one of our first female recruits ended up having the highest role in the organization) and minorities. There is still room for improvement.

LE are involved in so many circumstances that don't require brute force, they require empathy and the ability to de-escalate a situation so no one ends up in a body bag. That includes eliminating practices that target certain segments of society. I think it is crucial to demand that LE agencies use all available tools to ensure they hire officers who represent the population so that cultural biases and resentments can be tamped down through education.
MOO Police Unions.
They try to run the police, instead of the elected officials, and since Union brass are longer in positions than elected officials tend to have an advantage.
If a Police Union has a bad apple brass structure, they protect their Chauvin's against discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715