Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tracker - what's the name of the book? I'm interested in reading it :)

Tom Browns Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking. It usually also has information about the school somewhere in it as well. I know the nature observation part may sound odd, but being able to read what the wildlife is doing is a significant portion of "reading" the woods as well as the prints.

Last edited:
I found this very interesting because as much as LE may have done by hauling up the bike immediately, the tracks remain. Even if they got stepped on, there is still evidence. If there are no bike tracks, that means something too.

I’m still on the fence in regard to the searches. I still think Suzanne might be close. She could have been missed. I know that’s not what people generally think, that between the dogs and the searches and LE, she isn’t in any of the places they have looked.
Respectfully Snipped

@DizzyB Yes, there would still have been prints from the bike and the person who put the bike where it was found, if the scene was not manipulated by the actor. Years ago before LE started treating all PLS scenes as potential crime scenes, we Trackers had to pick the subjects prints out of the dozens of prints created by LE, Fire Fighters and Family, then walk around and around the area of total destruction to find where the subject had exited the PLS and the direction of travel. As for where SM is, I agree that time and distance were working against BM and that she is most likely in the back 400 behind the PP property. Now that the burial site has had time to settle, it should be visible to a LiDar equipped drone.

The meaty Elk shed got my thinking (MOO). I wonder how fresh that elk shed was?

If BM were to take an eBike or 4 wheeler back into the mountains behind puma path to dispose of a body, and also where he regularly went looking for elk sheds; would he maybe dispose of the body, and then load up an elk shed so if anyone saw him on his way home, he’d have a plausible excuse of why he was out there? And of course having a meaty elk shed at home would also help attract wild animals to aid his lies.

Makes me wonder if he didn’t find that Elk shed a few days earlier, and leave it at a location of his choosing so that he could bring it back home as a cover story in case he was spotted.

Last edited:
Tom Browns Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking. It usually also has information about the school somewhere in it as well. I know the nature observation part may sound odd, but being able to read what the wildlife is doing is a significant portion of "reading" the woods as well as the prints.
Thank you :)

@Murphy1950 noted that BM said "foot tracks". It is a curious and specific term for BM to use. Foot Tracks generally are not construed to mean bike tire tracks, animal tracks or even insect tracks. If BM was going to fly the false flag of a big cat attack, why use a term that is usually only attributed to humans? The print field in a Place Last Seen or a Crime Scene is a very interesting place. It is literally a story that is recorded on the ground and surrounding vegetation and ground litter. Today, all the details of the PLS can be recorded by scanning laser systems for recall at a later date, however there are small details only the trained eye can detect. "Subject A slowly walked up to subject B who was facing away from subject A. Subject A was carrying something the size and weight of a firearm on their right side based on the depth of Subject A's prints on that side. Subject B suddenly turned, took a step back in haste and tripped over this log based on the scrape mark on the log and the body imprint on the far side. There is also a hand print where subject B attempted to break their fall. Subject A took two steps forward and brought up their right arm as detailed in the shift in weight and heavier toe depth recorded in that print"....and you get the picture. It's there all in the prints, scrape marks, broken vegetation, etc. Now if there is a bike and a bike rider, there would be bike tire prints and rider prints if they dismounted, or a body print if they fell or were attacked. If there was a big cat, there would have been big cat prints that could be verified by "animal print averages". Most likely there would have been blood evidence and drag marks as well. If there was a human, there would have been shoe prints or bare foot prints, and of course the victims prints. If there were no prints, the scene has been manipulated by the actor or others. Someone walking backwards to present a false trail leaves very distinct pressure releases or in forensics terms "accidental indicators". There is a stutter in the heal portion of the prints. I have not seen too many people who can manipulate a scene like that. They are generally expert trackers or highly trained military types with experience working unobserved and in-close to high value targets without leaving evidence of their being there. Humans (and pets) leave tracks in carpet. Everyone, human and animal leaves tracks in their lawns and park grass. Heck, people leave tracks on macadam (yea, and I can prove it), at least enough to get a direction of travel. Human and animals leave indicators on rocks when they cross a stream in addition to prints and why I can tell if someone walked up or down a stream to throw off anyone following. Sometimes those prints only last a few minutes, some last days or even weeks. It is a unique skill set that takes many years of training and experience to master. What I would not give to have photographs of the "bike scene". After reading the above, do you think that the individual that witnessed LE activity at the bike scene could go back to BM and say with any degree of accuracy that LE messed up the scene? What did they mess up, a carefully staged red herring or an actual PLS? How would BM know? Then to publicly make an issue out of it and then ramble on with details that possibly only the actor would know? I doubt LE was sharing details on that level with BM. I think you all are smart enough to connect the dots.
You’re always a treasure trove of information, @Trackergd. Thank you.
A couple of things about the bike scene: It has been said that Fooses Dam was quite busy that beautiful Spring Sunday. Every car that drove to the dam and every hiker on foot would have walked down that road right beside where the bike was found. BM knew this and I believe that’s why it was placed down that slope rather than overturned in the roadway itself. BM needed the bike found, but not too soon. Some hikers are up and out very early. BM didn’t want that bike found before he had time to get up to Broomfield and establish himself at the hotel/job site for a couple of hours.
Bike placement: 1) When BM spoke to TD he said “Let me show you what happened”. How did he know what happened? When he described the placement of the bike he said it was wheels up and used his hands to describe it. Normally if you use your hands to describe something it is because you are visualizing it as you saw it yourself. He very quickly realized his mistake and changed the subject, blasting LE for wrecking the “crime scene”. Was the bike on its side with the wheels facing uphill or was the bike actually upside down with the wheels up?
2) The bike could have been left where it was in either of 2 ways, either from the road down, thrown or walked, or from the side where someone would walk in from the north side of the S Arkansas river bridge, and follow the river east a short ways. He could have done this from his home in an ATV. I forget which TD video it was, but he was at that spot by the bridge and it had been obviously worked on recently. TD said LE had been digging around there. I don’t know if he assumed that or he had been told that.
If BM dragged the bike in from the side, (where he would be less visible), it might very well have been him who disturbed that area by the bridge to cover his ATV tracks or truck tracks, or foot tracks. MOO
I’ve included a couple of maps to explain what I mean.

Attachments

• 9E3320AA-2BAB-48CD-A169-6153FC87E0A7.jpeg
    9E3320AA-2BAB-48CD-A169-6153FC87E0A7.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 55
  • FAEF4BE7-3906-43D6-A10B-0F683E3C6F65.jpeg
    FAEF4BE7-3906-43D6-A10B-0F683E3C6F65.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 6FA51119-3650-41B3-8688-DA8BBFE3D061.jpeg
    6FA51119-3650-41B3-8688-DA8BBFE3D061.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 47
Could be graphic to some.

Do we think that whoever the person is that is responsible for SM's disappearance would want the body to be preserved or gone rather quickly? I think that with BM's training as a firefighter, he would know what it takes for a quick decomposition or what is needed for perseverance.

Would this person be so inclined to want the body in more of a grave, that you can get close to, or absolutely gone. Theirs plenty of analyzing BM on where, how, what; but was thinking does any of his actions that have been hashed out more here recently change anyone's thoughts on this?

The weather will cooperate here soon and hopefully some clues and leads have LE pinpointing some spots to check once it does. Need to find a body.

IMO Part of me thinks she is somewhere close to the PP property and somewhere that is respectable, more of a grave that can be visited or gotten close to.

No, Hoss. I don't think a makeshift memorial style grave on the PP property will be found, although her remains may be found near PP. BM had already begun distancing himself emotionally from Suzanne in preparation for what was to come. I picked up on the lack of sentiment in his 26 second video plea.

I've made no secret that my opinion is on a premeditated murder which carries the Death Penalty in Colorado. That opinion was enhanced and affirmed when BM sought legal guardianship over Suzanne's property.

In considering premed, there would not be an accomplice to help accomplish his mission. Even if he paid someone to help, they could always threaten to tell on him in order to blackmail Barry in the future. He could never risk someone, even a close family member, to keep silent.

We've seen his plan, if indeed this was an orchestrated event, reach fruition in much less than a year's time. If it was planned before the move to CO, then his time investment is less than 3 short years in order to confiscate his wife's inheritance and wealth. In fact, it was her inheritance that possibly planted the insidious seed. jmho

To honor Suzanne I won't post it but of all of the beautiful photos we've seen of the couple, the one that speaks the loudest to me is the black and white image where they're standing in the doorway. Barry has his arm on the doorframe blocking a sweetly smiling Suzanne inside the room. It's a powerful photo of how I think he treated her on the regular. Someone to stand behind him and not beside him.

You’re always a treasure trove of information, @Trackergd. Thank you.
A couple of things about the bike scene: It has been said that Fooses Dam was quite busy that beautiful Spring Sunday. Every car that drove to the dam and every hiker on foot would have walked down that road right beside where the bike was found. BM knew this and I believe that’s why it was placed down that slope rather than overturned in the roadway itself. BM needed the bike found, but not too soon. Some hikers are up and out very early. BM didn’t want that bike found before he had time to get up to Broomfield and establish himself at the hotel/job site for a couple of hours.
Bike placement: 1) When BM spoke to TD he said “Let me show you what happened”. How did he know what happened? When he described the placement of the bike he said it was wheels up and used his hands to describe it. Normally if you use your hands to describe something it is because you are visualizing it as you saw it yourself. He very quickly realized his mistake and changed the subject, blasting LE for wrecking the “crime scene”. Was the bike on its side with the wheels facing uphill or was the bike actually upside down with the wheels up?
2) The bike could have been left where it was in either of 2 ways, either from the road down, thrown or walked, or from the side where someone would walk in from the north side of the S Arkansas river bridge, and follow the river east a short ways. He could have done this from his home in an ATV. I forget which TD video it was, but he was at that spot by the bridge and it had been obviously worked on recently. TD said LE had been digging around there. I don’t know if he assumed that or he had been told that.
If BM dragged the bike in from the side, (where he would be less visible), it might very well have been him who disturbed that area by the bridge to cover his ATV tracks or truck tracks, or foot tracks. MOO
I’ve included a couple of maps to explain what I mean.

@OldCop I think your scenario is very plausible. Hopefully during the searches of the house and forensic activity, someone thought to take photographs of all BM's shoe soles, vehicle tires and any ATV tires. If we follow your scenario, BM would have left some evidence, even if he tried to cover it up. Hopefully someone from LE forensics took good photographs and walked the area recording anything unusual. They may have evidence that they don't know they have. From the beginning, I have suspected an ATV or off road capable vehicle has been involved in moving SM's remains, and now it is possible it was used to help stage a false PLS. I suspect you are spot on with your conceptual timeline, staging false leads and places seen. I think BM may have been digging in that trash can to recover an accidently discarded receipt that detailed materials used in SM's disposal (I hate using that word) or evidence cleanup. How many times have we seen actors get nailed because of a receipt for duct tape, shovel, tarp, bleach, lime, etc. purchased at a store just before or just after a subject went missing?

Could be graphic to some.

Do we think that whoever the person is that is responsible for SM's disappearance would want the body to be preserved or gone rather quickly? I think that with BM's training as a firefighter, he would know what it takes for a quick decomposition or what is needed for perseverance.

Would this person be so inclined to want the body in more of a grave, that you can get close to, or absolutely gone. Theirs plenty of analyzing BM on where, how, what; but was thinking does any of his actions that have been hashed out more here recently change anyone's thoughts on this?

The weather will cooperate here soon and hopefully some clues and leads have LE pinpointing some spots to check once it does. Need to find a body.

IMO Part of me thinks she is somewhere close to the PP property and somewhere that is respectable, more of a grave that can be visited or gotten close to.

With BM selling the house so quickly, I am of the opinion that distance and time work in BM's favor. No marker, that would be too obvious. I doubt BM has any intent of visiting the grave. Out of sight and out of mind. I suspect BM is of the opinion that the grave site will never be found and is confident of his disposal and camouflaging abilities. What has sailed over his head is that graves settle. The body decomposes and the loose dirt compacts due to gravity. By now there should be about a 4 to 6" depression in the ground in the shape of the grave that may be visible from the air or by LiDar. Both methods are faster than trained ground search, but that is a viable 3rd option. BM would need navigation points or a good ATV trail that he could follow anytime day or night. I wonder if his phone and any hunting GPS units were checked for waypoints?

With BM selling the house so quickly, I am of the opinion that distance and time work in BM's favor. No marker, that would be too obvious. I doubt BM has any intent of visiting the grave. Out of sight and out of mind. I suspect BM is of the opinion that the grave site will never be found and is confident of his disposal and camouflaging abilities. What has sailed over his head is that graves settle. The body decomposes and the loose dirt compacts due to gravity. By now there should be about a 4 to 6" depression in the ground in the shape of the grave that may be visible from the air or by LiDar. Both methods are faster than trained ground search, but that is a viable 3rd option. BM would need navigation points or a good ATV trail that he could follow anytime day or night. I wonder if his phone and any hunting GPS units were checked for waypoints?

More distancing. If he gets rid of the house and property, he may feel that LE won’t be coming for him with search warrants for the land. I would love to hear from a professional about his behaviors since Suzanne went missing. Yeah, everyone reacts differently, but if someone with experience can stack up all the facts into a profile of BM, I’d love to hear it.

I have been in cemeteries enough to witness the settling of graves. I was educated by the people that put down the foundation for the headstone because they insist on waiting to pour until sufficient time has passed so it won’t sink.

I still feel like Barry has probably convinced himself that he did nothing wrong-or if he did, it wasn’t his fault. He didn’t mean to do it, and God will forgive him. The only thing he is worried about is getting arrested.

[QUOTE
I still feel like Barry has probably convinced himself that he did nothing wrong-or if he did, it wasn’t his fault. He didn’t mean to do it, and God will forgive him. The only thing he is worried about is getting arrested.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. IMO, His comment about; [paraphrasing: If one person is saved by it, Suzanne would be okay with it. ] Seems to absolve himself of guilt (in his mind). IMO

There is the possibility that BM is hoping that the remains will decompose to the point that if they are ever discovered, that forensics will not be able to determine cause of death and any evidence of how SM was transported and deposited in that location will be long gone. I am curious why LE has not at least tried to do LiDar scanning of the topography between the main road and a couple of miles back into the back 400. You can only travel so far, dispose of remains, camouflage, travel back and clean up in an evening/night and still get some sleep. Also limited by the round trip gas consumption of a vehicle.

“We don’t know why God does what he does.” “I am afraid of what is out there. People don’t know the truth, so they’re gonna think what they’re gonna think.”

“Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring family and this thing is just a tragedy.” BM to Fox21 Lauren Scharf Aug 18 2020.

[QUOTE
I still feel like Barry has probably convinced himself that he did nothing wrong-or if he did, it wasn’t his fault. He didn’t mean to do it, and God will forgive him. The only thing he is worried about is getting arrested.

The linguistic and “blaming” similarities of BM and Mark Redwine are just stunning. At least Mark Redwine didn’t toss out the God card.

“This thing.” Pffffft.

There is the possibility that BM is hoping that the remains will decompose to the point that if they are ever discovered, that forensics will not be able to determine cause of death and any evidence of how SM was transported and deposited in that location will be long gone. I am curious why LE has not at least tried to do LiDar scanning of the topography between the main road and a couple of miles back into the back 400. You can only travel so far, dispose of remains, camouflage, travel back and clean up in an evening/night and still get some sleep. Also limited by the round trip gas consumption of a vehicle.

I’ve generally been just lurking because I get too pissed-off to post. But I have to say this is what happened on my Utah and NW Colorado few acres: Mule deer drops whether by disease, age, or lameness. Quickly coyotes appear at night. Magpies/raptors during the day. More coyotes at night. Over and over.

A week later not much is left except lower leg/hooves, rib cage, and skull. Takes longer in the winter.

I’m not sure if Suzanne is buried, but maybe a Midwesterner would do that.

@OldCop I think your scenario is very plausible. Hopefully during the searches of the house and forensic activity, someone thought to take photographs of all BM's shoe soles, vehicle tires and any ATV tires. If we follow your scenario, BM would have left some evidence, even if he tried to cover it up. Hopefully someone from LE forensics took good photographs and walked the area recording anything unusual. They may have evidence that they don't know they have. From the beginning, I have suspected an ATV or off road capable vehicle has been involved in moving SM's remains, and now it is possible it was used to help stage a false PLS. I suspect you are spot on with your conceptual timeline, staging false leads and places seen. I think BM may have been digging in that trash can to recover an accidently discarded receipt that detailed materials used in SM's disposal (I hate using that word) or evidence cleanup. How many times have we seen actors get nailed because of a receipt for duct tape, shovel, tarp, bleach, lime, etc. purchased at a store just before or just after a subject went missing?
The digging through the trash at the Poncha Market was so strange. The suspicious act of a man whose wife is missing digging through a store trash can after-hours, the timing of it, and the odd and so limited as to be useless "description" he jots down when he is asked what he is doing.

IIRC, BM was digging through that can on the evening of Tuesday, May 12. The helmet was found on the uphill side of Highway 50 west of CR225 on Thursday, May 14. It was found about 20 yards from the trail where AM's search team was looking and AM is surprised they did not spot it. AM also says a member of their search team separated from the rest and the rest of the team backtracked but were unable to find him. He later turned up at the house where BM was staying.

I wonder whether BM was looking for a receipt for disposable gloves that were to be used when the helmet was wiped clean of prints and deposited where it was found. BM would likely not have used a debit or credit card for such a purchase to avoid detection, but what if BM asked someone else to purchase disposable gloves and that person used a debit or credit card? So, BM was determined to find that receipt so it couldn't be found by others and linked to that associate and thus to him?

ETA: The associate wouldn't even necessarily be aware they were buying the gloves for nefarious purposes. BM might have said they needed them for dishwashing because they had run out of the supply they had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members