GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary Moriarty has jus done a Twitter thread on the subject of aiding and abetting

Aiding and Abetting: “A person is criminally liable for a crime committed by another if the person intentionally aids, advises, hires, counsels, or conspires with or otherwise procures the other to to commit the crime.” MN Statute 609.05

A & A is always charged with a another crime (murder, robbery, assault). In other words, a person can A & A a murder, robbery, assault, or other crimes. By law, a person who A & As is equally criminally liable and if convicted, would be subject to the same sentence.

1f447-1f3fb.svg

If 3 people assault someone, and a 4th person allows the assault to continue by preventing others from helping, that 4th person can be charged with A & A an assault. This is true even though the 4th person did not touch the person being assaulted. This may ring a bell

his is why Thao is charged in the murder of GF even though he didn’t touch him. He could see that GF was being assaulted but kept the bystanders from coming to the aid of GF. The law does not force people to intervene, but a person is responsible for their own actions.

1f447-1f3fb.svg

1:36 PM · Apr 23, 2021·Twitter for iPad

If those actions aided in a crime being committed, the person is criminally liable. The person is subject to the same sentence as the “main” actor, but a person’s less role may be taken into consideration at sentencing

Aiding & Abetting Cont: Prosecutors frequently make a plea offer to a lesser involved person which involves a reduced sentence if the person agrees to testify against the person deemed to be the “main” actor.
https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1385573345387810816?s=20

Yes exactly ...she was not privy to the actual deliberations and frankly was speaking out about the sick juror (stress she said) and another one with potential covid exposure. Those other jurors have a right to privacy and most do not want things shared. She and Morries seem to have promoters selling their interviews.

I've read a few of the articles with her, she is definitely putting herself out there, didn't realize just how much though until I read your earlier post. Not always a good thing, she has said a few things that already made me go 'hmmm'. I will say JMO because not sure which one's I read and there are too many to choose from haha

i think the reason she was an "alternate" was the last two picked were going to be alternates unless needed. Is that how people understood it...I don't think picked it another way.
yeah, my mistake.. thanks.

Yes exactly ...she was not privy to the actual deliberations and frankly was speaking out about the sick juror (stress she said) and another one with potential covid exposure. Those other jurors have a right to privacy and most do not want things shared. She and Morries seem to have promoters selling their interviews.

Sick juror? Covid exposure? I've not seen such, can someone bump such statement with link as I have totally missed such?

TIA as I must have missed.

WOW!
According to a source who spoke with ABC News, federal investigators are looking at videos from Sept. 4, 2017, where Chauvin is reportedly seen, "striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe."

This tho'!
While Chauvin was never charged locally, "Two months ago, federal prosecutors in Minneapolis brought witnesses before a federal grand jury to provide testimony related to the incident," ABC is reporting before adding, "... this week, a source informed of the probe told ABC News that the investigation is still underway, with the Justice Department still weighing whether to bring federal charges against Chauvin for both the 2017 incident and George Floyd's death."

Sick juror? Covid exposure? I've not seen such, can someone bump such statement with link as I have totally missed such?

I have a vague memory of an unexpected break near the start of the trial for maybe 30minutes due to a juror being unwell. It later appeared to be stress related but she was able to continue with her juror role. The only time I recall covid being mentioned was when Eric Nelson had to keep clearing his throat and it was discussed here the posibility of covid and who might replace him

The cynic in me wonders how much of a financial incentive has been offered. Perhaps she will have the first book rather than Morrice!
I agree. When the jury members were being picked, I commented about how they were answering questions as if they were interviewing for their dream job, and praying they were picked.
Most people do whatever they can to get out of jury duty. Add into the equation that they could have been putting not only their lives in danger, but the lives of their family if they were picked, <modsnip: off limits>
IMO. Those that acted that way were in it for the 15 minutes of fame and fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
no cynicism required...this gal is making MONEY BIG MONEY and depending who else talks she could write a book (ie someone else write...she dictates). I am now finding her too much and hope the others don't go this route. Somehow it seems so soon and opportunistic.

In Canada, jurors are not allowed to speak about a case afterward. I wish it was like that everywhere. Back in the 80s my uncle was on a jury that gave him nightmares afterward. I think I know which trial it was, but my uncle never, ever spoke of it to any of us.

I agree. When the jury members were being picked, I commented about how they were answering questions as if they were interviewing for their dream job, and praying they were picked.
Most people do whatever they can to get out of jury duty. Add into the equation that they could have been putting not only their lives in danger, but the lives of their family if they were picked, and I believe there were ulterior motives involved.
IMO. Those that acted that way were in it for the 15 minutes of fame and fortune.
Totally agree. This is the first time I have followed a trial right the way through and was surprised at how intrusive the voir dire was. In the UK you have a citation number then its just numbers basically pulled out of a hat. The only question asked to all potential jurors is if they know the accused or defendant(s).

What Happens Next for Derek Chauvin?

What is the latest on Mr. Chauvin’s tax-evasion case?

Mr. Chauvin and his ex-wife, Kellie Chauvin, face multiple counts of tax evasion in Washington County, Minn., where they lived. The charges were filed about two months after Mr. Floyd was killed. The case has been delayed until June to allow his murder trial to be completed.

The pair are accused of underreporting their income by a total of $464,433 between 2014 and 2019, according to the complaint. That includes an alleged failure to report more than $95,000 over several years from Mr. Chauvin’s employment as a security guard at a bar where Mr. Floyd also once worked as a bouncer.

Mr. Chauvin’s attorney didn’t respond to a request for comment, and Mr. Chauvin’s ex-wife couldn’t be reached.

They owe a total of $37,868 in back taxes and penalties, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Washington County attorney’s office. Both Mr. Chauvin and his ex-wife each face nine felony charges, which each carry a maximum of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, according to prosecutors.

It would be up to the judge to decide whether Mr. Chauvin’s sentence for any tax-evasion convictions would be tacked on to his sentence for murder or run concurrently, said Joseph Daly, a retired professor at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law in St. Paul.

I find it interesting that she said she also saw Chauvin's hand in his pocket, and that got to her.
His hand wasn't in his pocket.

Hansen testified that he had his hand in his pocket:

Hansen, who video recorded some of the episode, said Chauvin, who did not speak to her, "seemed very comfortable" with the majority of his weight balanced on top of Floyd's neck. "In my memory, he had his hand in his pocket he looked so comfortable," Hansen said.

Key takeaways from Day 2 of the Derek Chauvin trial

bbm

I find it interesting that she said she also saw Chauvin's hand in his pocket, and that got to her.
His hand wasn't in his pocket.
Everybody thought that.
The truth was worse, I was reading a tweet from Mary Moriarty about it, she said something about him wearing a black glove in a fisted hand from what I can recall.
To increase pressure.

What Happens Next for Derek Chauvin?

What is the latest on Mr. Chauvin’s tax-evasion case?

Mr. Chauvin and his ex-wife, Kellie Chauvin, face multiple counts of tax evasion in Washington County, Minn., where they lived. The charges were filed about two months after Mr. Floyd was killed. The case has been delayed until June to allow his murder trial to be completed.

The pair are accused of underreporting their income by a total of $464,433 between 2014 and 2019, according to the complaint. That includes an alleged failure to report more than $95,000 over several years from Mr. Chauvin’s employment as a security guard at a bar where Mr. Floyd also once worked as a bouncer.

Mr. Chauvin’s attorney didn’t respond to a request for comment, and Mr. Chauvin’s ex-wife couldn’t be reached.

They owe a total of $37,868 in back taxes and penalties, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Washington County attorney’s office. Both Mr. Chauvin and his ex-wife each face nine felony charges, which each carry a maximum of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, according to prosecutors.

It would be up to the judge to decide whether Mr. Chauvin’s sentence for any tax-evasion convictions would be tacked on to his sentence for murder or run concurrently, said Joseph Daly, a retired professor at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law in St. Paul.
It will be a very long time before DC gets to hit the streets or hurt anybody else, ever again, I imagine.

Mary Moriarty has jus done a Twitter thread on the subject of aiding and abetting

Aiding and Abetting: “A person is criminally liable for a crime committed by another if the person intentionally aids, advises, hires, counsels, or conspires with or otherwise procures the other to to commit the crime.” MN Statute 609.05

A & A is always charged with a another crime (murder, robbery, assault). In other words, a person can A & A a murder, robbery, assault, or other crimes. By law, a person who A & As is equally criminally liable and if convicted, would be subject to the same sentence.

1f447-1f3fb.svg

If 3 people assault someone, and a 4th person allows the assault to continue by preventing others from helping, that 4th person can be charged with A & A an assault. This is true even though the 4th person did not touch the person being assaulted. This may ring a bell

his is why Thao is charged in the murder of GF even though he didn’t touch him. He could see that GF was being assaulted but kept the bystanders from coming to the aid of GF. The law does not force people to intervene, but a person is responsible for their own actions.

1f447-1f3fb.svg

1:36 PM · Apr 23, 2021·Twitter for iPad

If those actions aided in a crime being committed, the person is criminally liable. The person is subject to the same sentence as the “main” actor, but a person’s less role may be taken into consideration at sentencing

Aiding & Abetting Cont: Prosecutors frequently make a plea offer to a lesser involved person which involves a reduced sentence if the person agrees to testify against the person deemed to be the “main” actor.
https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1385573345387810816?s=20

Understood, yet when I went down the rabbit hole as to the state, one of them said had to be in was a subsection as to a drug deal etc. The other stated another condition as a requirement.

I don't understand how 2 or 3 can come under the guidelines for aggravating after looking at the statutes. CLEARLY, two of them, if not three... are BELOW the required.

We shall see.

ETA: This is an iirc on REQUIRED to do aggravating which I said wayyyyy back was not met. I've got RL now and cannot bump such for Minnesota, perhaps someone else can?

she was going on about that in an interview she did...it was one of the longer interviews...one juror got a message that their child had been exposed to covid at school and would have to quarantine...she was concerned about how that might impact her..this went down Thurs. as they were leaving for the long weekend. No one was sure if she would be back or not...but she was. The child was negative. I watched quite a few of her interviews so not a clue where it was.

i think the reason she was an "alternate" was the last two picked were going to be alternates unless needed. Is that how people understood it...I don't think picked it another way.

I have a vague memory of an unexpected break near the start of the trial for maybe 30minutes due to a juror being unwell. It later appeared to be stress related but she was able to continue with her juror role. The only time I recall covid being mentioned was when Eric Nelson had to keep clearing his throat and it was discussed here the posibility of covid and who might replace him

Thanks, yes.. I do remember the juror that was a reason for delay early in the trial. thanks for the tickler to memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member