GUILTY PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, murdered, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest* #4

The little box things are culverts for streams and creeks to pass under the rail right of way. Walker way ends in the woods at the driveway for a house.

On occasion there are still ash pits, water tower, switch tower and turn table foundations along sections of right of way and trunk lines that are left over from the steam era.

“The dress, bonnet, and shoes [were] consistent with what Linda was wearing on the date of her disappearance,” Adams said.

Investigators discovered the remains wrapped in tarp that was buried up to 42 inches below ground.

The autopsy to determine cause and manner of death is scheduled for April 23. Coroner Dr. Stephen Diamantoni said he expected the cause and manner of death to be determined quickly—likely within a day. Definitive DNA identification of the body could take longer.

Because of decomposition any clues left would likely be left on the bones, according to forensic experts.

“You could get some marks from a bullet, you could get marks from a knife, you could get marks from compression, from thumps. These are the things that they’re probably looking at at this point,” said Robert Furey, a forensic entomologist and Dauphin County deputy coroner, as well as a professor of integrative sciences at Harrisburg University.

“More often than not there will be forensic evidence with that body and through that autopsy, which will be and should be used against the criminal defendant at a criminal homicide prosecution,” said Chris Ferro, criminal defense attorney at York-based Ferro Law Firm.
Stoltzfoos autopsy could bolster or hurt case against Justo Smoker | fox43.com

According to Adams:

• The remains were recovered Wednesday in Gap behind the previous place of employment of Justo Smoker, the man charged with her homicide and kidnapping.
  • An autopsy is scheduled for Friday to help confirm the identity and determine the cause and manner of death, but a preliminary review indicates the remains are those of a female of a relevant age.
  • Investigators also found a dress, bonnet and shoes consistent with the clothing worn by Stoltzfoos on the day she disappeared.
  • Police believe Smoker killed Stoltzfoos within hours of allegedly kidnapping her on June 21 and buried her behind a business on Harvest Drive in Ronks, where investigators found her stockings and bra. It’s believed that Smoker then moved the body several days later.
The Stoltzfoos family was notified and taken to the scene of the discovery, Adams said, in an effort to grant some closure.
DA holds news conference about missing Amish teen in Pennsylvania
I'm just now seeing that Linda was found and have read through all the posts. I have two thoughts - first 42 inches is deep - did JS have access to a small bobcat or other earthmoving equipment through his job? Could he have used that to dig instead of digging by hand.

My second thought is that I am profoundly relieved she was found in a place connected to JS's employment with cell phone data that corroborates his whereabouts. Plus the DNA. I am an attorney (not criminal) and there was compelling circumstantial evidence prior to finding Linda but it was scant enough that I worried about reasonable doubt. Not any more. There is so much evidence now and very little argument for the defense to make.
My thoughts are with her family right now - what a mix of emotions they must be feeling.

Linda was tall, 5'10" if memory serves which is 4" taller than Smoker.

How is it possible for him to move her body to a location that's really difficult to access without help?

Wasn't he a wrestler in high school?

I'll see if I can find confirmation of this.

If he was, then maybe he could have carried her fairly easily.

ETA: Yes he was a wrestler, according to this link: Old Order community witnesses, latter-day technology led to arrest of suspect in Amish woman’s kidnapping

After a day of background checks and surveillance — Smoker was a onetime Pequea Valley High School wrestling star who, in 2006, was charged and convicted in a string of armed robberies in Lancaster County and sentenced to 12-and-a-half years in state prison — investigators went to see him on July 9.

@momsof3 , you mentioned a small bobcat, or other earth-moving equipment, for digging the hole. I've been wondering if he had access to an ATV (all terrain vehicle) to transport her there.

Questions, questions.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Looking at the Lancaster County property assessor documents, the group of properties along the east side of the railroad tracks are owned by the same entity. The large property to the west of the tracks is owned by a separate individual. So, in the area of Dutchland, Inc., the railroad parcel is only the narrow strip along the tracks.
I can't imagine that digging was easy in that narrow strip of the railroad right of way, but I don't think heavy equipment was needed. With a bar and a shovel, and moderate soil conditions, I would say it would take a half day for a wimpy person in moderate physical shape--like me. Or maybe a few breaks and lunch hours for a younger stronger person.
It looks on google maps like the graveled Dutchland back parking lot and laydown yard are completely enclosed by high fence, possibly chain link. There would need to be a breach in the perimeter fence. The gravel lot is quite close to the fence along the tracks. There are sheds, trucks, and other items staged along that area as well which would screen a car parked there or other activities.
I don't understand why take the risk of making the move.
I don't understand why pick a spot with any connection to him.
I don't understand anything about this horrible, horrible series of acts.
Parcel Details for 5505323800000
ArcGIS Web Application
Google Maps

I'm thinking a mattock and shovel. Still a little puzzled. There is no cover in that area on the RR right of way. Most of it is fist sized ballast rock (grey area under tracks and ties) and narrow dirt strip on either side. Any locomotive or light rail car crews would have spotted someone digging in that area during the day and called Amtrak Police to investigate. Can't see JS moving a ton of ballast rock, digging a hole and covering it all back up. Ground under the ballast must be full of all kinds of oils, grease and PCB's from the old PRR GG1 electric locomotives days. Edited to add, I just pulled out my tape measure and looked at 42", then figured 4' by 6'...that is a LOT of dirt.

I'm thinking a mattock and shovel. Still a little puzzled. There is no cover in that area on the RR right of way. Most of it is fist sized ballast rock (grey area under tracks and ties) and narrow dirt strip on either side. Any locomotive or light rail car crews would have spotted someone digging in that area during the day and called Amtrak Police to investigate. Can't see JS moving a ton of ballast rock, digging a hole and covering it all back up. Ground under the ballast must be full of all kinds of oils, grease and PCB's from the old PRR GG1 electric locomotives days. Edited to add, I just pulled out my tape measure and looked at 42", then figured 4' by 6'...that is a LOT of dirt.
Unless he did it over a longer period of time before he even took Linda, and if he knew the train schedules. MOO

Hoping for more details not only the exact location, but an analysis of how she was buried well enough and deep enough to avoid detection. I am wondering if JS prepared the burial site in advance, possibly working at lunch time or after work for days, then moving and covering the remains. The one long period at Harvest Road must have been the digging for the initial burial site.

The Harvest Road location is also very open in a lot of places. What I observed was the 2 businesses and the tracks ran right behind them. Across the tracks are some houses, maybe made into apartments. Looking at the businesses from their own parking lot, to the left there is some tree line hiding the railroad tracks but it is not thick or dense until you go down quite further. He would have had to take her pretty far to be undetected there. It makes no sense to me that he would bury her there and then move her a couple of days later. I know it is possible he did that though. I can't wait to see the evidence they have that leads them to believe that. JMO of course.

RBBM

That is a lot of dirt.

All that work--digging a hole, moving her--he had help.

JMVHO.

A tribute to Linda from the find Linda fb page.

Attachments

• FF9EFF9E-6233-4FB6-B8BD-72C25D01E20D.jpeg
    FF9EFF9E-6233-4FB6-B8BD-72C25D01E20D.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 173
  • C3672324-FACF-4C1E-B729-A20A23449239.jpeg
    C3672324-FACF-4C1E-B729-A20A23449239.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 2F35BE69-FC97-4E7F-8183-6C32956B1943.jpeg
    2F35BE69-FC97-4E7F-8183-6C32956B1943.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 181
  • E44B2C7B-CC9D-4B6B-9AA6-8B6C8E87998C.jpeg
    E44B2C7B-CC9D-4B6B-9AA6-8B6C8E87998C.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 145
The Harvest Road location is also very open in a lot of places. What I observed was the 2 businesses and the tracks ran right behind them. Across the tracks are some houses, maybe made into apartments. Looking at the businesses from their own parking lot, to the left there is some tree line hiding the railroad tracks but it is not thick or dense until you go down quite further. He would have had to take her pretty far to be undetected there. It makes no sense to me that he would bury her there and then move her a couple of days later. I know it is possible he did that though. I can't wait to see the evidence they have that leads them to believe that. JMO of course.
Maybe the evidence is someone's confession to helping him dig and then move.

Lancaster County coroner confirms the remains found in eastern Lancaster County are those of Linda Stoltzfoos, 18. The coroner said the cause of death was asphyxia caused by strangulation with a knife wound to the neck as a contributing factor

The coroner was able to identify the remains as that of Stoltzfoos via dental records, and noted that the cause and manner of death were difficult to determine because of the effects of decomposition over time.

Lancaster County Coroner rules asphyxia, strangulation as cause of death for Linda Stoltzfoos | fox43.com

[bbm]

so he probably threatened her with the knife and that's why she appeared to be walking willingly to his car - I really hate him so much

Last edited:
I was appalled to hear that Linda had gone missing on Fathers Day last year and have hoped for the safe return to her family ever since. Linda's obit is very difficult for me to read and I'm finding it hard to have any Christian or charitable thoughts for Smoker at this moment. Utterly evil, worthless piece of *advertiser censored*.

Last edited:
I've been following this case since day one. Although expected after a while, it's still sad to see it end this way. Rest in Peace, Linda. May her family and friends find comfort and strength. They are in my thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back