Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have used sheet pan recipes for fresh vegetables for a few years now.

The most basic recipe we use most often:

Cut up fresh vegetables into chunks (carrots, potatoes, broccoli etc) or slice in half (Brussels sprouts, onions) then put into a bowl. Add some olive oil and seasoning (salt and pepper, or anything else you want, like garlic, smoked paprika, etc). Stir the vegetables then place on sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees until done.

You can also sprinkle fresh herbs on top, like rosemary or dill.

You can bake for a short time until they are tender or for a longer time if you want them roasted and starting to get crisp.

I line my sheet pan with parchment paper to make for super easy cleanup.

If I had odds and ends of leftover fresh vegetables I chop them all up and bake on sheet pan. Carrots and potatoes are some of my favorites.

Last night my daughter made a really good sheet pan dinner by roasting Brussels sprouts and edamame, seasoning with some Asian spices. Served over rice with a little olive oil and fresh herbs.
We do this all the time with a 9 x 13 foil line pan. I'd just never heard of the sheet pan term. I'd say maybe the lower sides do allow more air flow and probably cook faster tho.

Reactions: JDG
My kitchen assistant was adopted by a good friend with 3 older kids. He is a lucky little boy. He now has a Mommy, 2 human brothers, 1 human sister and 2 cat brothers. One cat brother is not impressed but the other cat brother loves him.

My veggie box yesterday had yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes and green bell peppers. We still have cauliflower, brussel sprouts, onions and potatoes. I see pan of roasted veggies in my future. Then again, maybe some veggie soup.

We got dried garbanzo beans in our box this week. I’ve never made them before. I perused recipes and then just winged it. I have a small 2 person crockpot not a big one. Anyway, I just put some in my crockpot on low. I added a bay leaf, peppercorns, kosher salt, diced carrot, diced onion & diced garlic. Poured veg broth over it and stirred. I’ll probably wake up to the smell at 4:00am. Hopefully they’ll taste decent. My youngest will eat anything that isn’t nailed down and if she’s not allergic to it. LOL!

My kitchen assistant was adopted by a good friend with 3 older kids. He is a lucky little boy. He now has a Mommy, 2 human brothers, 1 human sister and 2 cat brothers. One cat brother is not impressed but the other cat brother loves him.

My veggie box yesterday had yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes and green bell peppers. We still have cauliflower, brussel sprouts, onions and potatoes. I see pan of roasted veggies in my future. Then again, maybe some veggie soup.

I'm glad your friend and her family have adopted the pup...he is so cute. I hope you will post another photo of him sometime. With the cat(s), perhaps? :)

I'm glad your friend and her family have adopted the pup...he is so cute. I hope you will post another photo of him sometime. With the cat(s), perhaps? :)
This is him playing with his cat brother who likes him. At the end of the day, it’s hard to tell who was more worn out, the 12 year old or the puppy! They named him Banksy after a British artist.

Attachments

• BB8D45D4-B2A4-4A07-8EF0-76F189FD98F7.jpeg
    BB8D45D4-B2A4-4A07-8EF0-76F189FD98F7.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 29DC40E7-2582-463B-83D3-FEF0D7E2A78C.jpeg
    29DC40E7-2582-463B-83D3-FEF0D7E2A78C.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 46
We got dried garbanzo beans in our box this week. I’ve never made them before. I perused recipes and then just winged it. I have a small 2 person crockpot not a big one. Anyway, I just put some in my crockpot on low. I added a bay leaf, peppercorns, kosher salt, diced carrot, diced onion & diced garlic. Poured veg broth over it and stirred. I’ll probably wake up to the smell at 4:00am. Hopefully they’ll taste decent. My youngest will eat anything that isn’t nailed down and if she’s not allergic to it. LOL!

In my experience garbanzos are similar to lentils in that their standalone flavor is bland, sometimes unpleasantly so. But they absorb the spices and flavors they are cooked with and are very versatile, easy to cook (soaking is not strictly required), and are highly nutritious as I understand it.

They are a major ingredient in Indian food and middle eastern food (like hummus), go well in soups, add protein to a vegetarian pasta dish. They can be boiled or roasted, though I haven't mastered successful roasting yet.

Thanks for the recipe links!

Oh yeah these garbanzo beans are rather bland to me. My kid took a big bowl for lunch. She said she’d eat them just the way they are. She eats them right out of a can so....

I drained the broth off, cubed some yellow squash and zucchini, simmered them in the broth and then put the beans back in. I’ll let it cool and see if the flavors meld.

Attachments

• D1A4836F-A3C5-4D7E-BCFB-3EF53D56B344.jpeg
    D1A4836F-A3C5-4D7E-BCFB-3EF53D56B344.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 6F2B0947-3100-4D38-BBF9-DB43188701B5.jpeg
    6F2B0947-3100-4D38-BBF9-DB43188701B5.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 4FEB49BB-113A-4306-932E-474F5E13D81F.jpeg
    4FEB49BB-113A-4306-932E-474F5E13D81F.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 41
I make sheet pan ratatouille often. Eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes with olive oil and seasoning. Roast in a 425 oven. Sometimes add sausage (the smoked eckridge)

I love ratatouille and make it often. I tried a sheet pan version but DH thought it was too dry. He likes my stove-top ratatouille that is more like a thick soup or stew. We enjoy it in pasta bowls with shredded Parmesan cheese and a crusty loaf of bread for dipping.

I was reading posts in this thread, followed a link, and time passed (avoiding housework)... I looked up recipes for Anadama bread, Indian pudding, and Apple Crisp among others.

I used to make Indian pudding years ago, and have made apple crisp often. I made Anadama bread back in my bread making days. I have an old bread machine up in the cupboard that may still work (?), or I could just bake it in the oven. But I'll have to pick up some yeast and molasses first.

Anadama Bread | Classic Recipe

I've been roasting vegetables for years and have also roasted shrimp after watching Ina Garten do it. Sprinkle large raw shrimp with olive oil, salt, pepper, a little Old Bay seasoning and roast for several minutes per side. Serve with cocktail or tartar sauce. I've roasted vegetables and potatoes separately and in combinations. I've shared previously that we roast cod or other sturdy fish with assorted vegetables wrapped in parchment or foil. Place the fish on a bed of spinach, season the fish with salt, pepper, Old Bay, and/or fresh herbs, top with tomato and lemon slices, capers or olives, and drizzle with white wine or Pernod. Roast at 350* for 35-40 minutes until fish flakes easily. Delicious one-pan dinner :)

I haven't tried an entire dinner on a sheet pan because I can't be sure that everything will be cooked to the correct "doneness". I've roasted chicken on a sheet pan but never in combination with other foods. I suppose the best thing to do is experiment with one of the sheet pan dinners on the Food Network list and take my chances that it will turn out alright.
I didn't know there was a name for it, but I've been doing sheet pan dinners for years. They honestly are the easiest things in the world and have been a go-to when I don't have energy/ideas. The basic is roasted veggies, but you can add meat (kielbasa is the easiest to add, imo), beans, or change up the variety of veggies. I'll toss in a pear or apple on occasion. You can deal with different cooking times by how big/small you cut the veggies and when you add ingredients - some things can be added later in the cooking. Oil, salt, and pepper are often enough seasonings, though can vary that too. No prep work other than chopping and no standing by the stove to tend to the cooking.

Leftover veggies can be pureed into a soup or sauce, if you want to change that up too.

Might do that tonight (though it's supposed to be unseasonably warm today so maybe not an oven day).

I didn't know there was a name for it, but I've been doing sheet pan dinners for years. They honestly are the easiest things in the world and have been a go-to when I don't have energy/ideas. The basic is roasted veggies, but you can add meat (kielbasa is the easiest to add, imo), beans, or change up the variety of veggies. I'll toss in a pear or apple on occasion. You can deal with different cooking times by how big/small you cut the veggies and when you add ingredients - some things can be added later in the cooking. Oil, salt, and pepper are often enough seasonings, though can vary that too. No prep work other than chopping and no standing by the stove to tend to the cooking.

Leftover veggies can be pureed into a soup or sauce, if you want to change that up too.

Might do that tonight (though it's supposed to be unseasonably warm today so maybe not an oven day).

Yes, I'm thinking chicken salad for dinner on this warm day (although tomorrow will be even warmer). We have lots of lovely fresh greens from the Farmers Market and a couple of chicken breasts. I don't really have a recipe, I just wing it :D. Mayo, spring onions, some chopped pecans or walnuts, grapes if I have them... We have delicious fresh local strawberries, I guess I could put some of those in the salad.

We make delicious hummus out of dried garbanzos. You have to cook for a couple hours to get them soft enough.

Second year in a row that we won't be going to our favorite Mexican restaurant for Cinco de Mayo. I will make beef and black bean enchiladas tomorrow. I don't make Mexican foods often and usually buy a prepared enchilada sauce, but I found some simple recipes and will make my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123