IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Habitual Offender filed! Yes!!!!

/26/2021
Information Filed
Information
Filed By:
State of Indiana
File Stamp:
04/26/2021
04/26/2021
Information Filed
Information - Habitual Offender (Eff. July, 2017)
Filed By:
State of Indiana
File Stamp:
04/26/2021

What does that habitual offender (EFFECTIVE JULY 2017) mean? Why that date? Was that when habitual offender law was passed? Or one of his convictions?

Yes, I believe his family will be a wealth of information (at least I hope). Before this crime happened his family may have suspected on some level that his behaviors were not quite right. Now after his arrest this may confirm to them that there guts were not off and he really is a sick ....... They may now be more willing to share information on any other suspected activies (if any) imo

As well as his ex-girlfriends and his friends, especially those who have kids.

What does that habitual offender (EFFECTIVE JULY 2017) mean? Why that date? Was that when habitual offender law was passed? Or one of his convictions?

It 's not a charge, however, being a "Habitual Offender" will increase the amount of sentencing time (once convicted)

Under Indiana Law (below), if Chadwell is found guilty of one of the Felony 1 charges against him, the judge can add up to (20) additional years to the sentence for that particular conviction.

In my opinion, Chadwell will never, ever see the light of day again.

Indiana Law
"(i) The court shall sentence a person found to be a habitual offender to an additional fixed term that is between:
(1) six (6) years and twenty (20) years, for a person convicted of murder or a Level 1 through Level 4 felony; or
(2) two (2) years and six (6) years, for a person convicted of a Level 5 or Level 6 felony."

As stated in Indiana Law (below), the Judge will take into consideration that he is a "Habitual Offender) and it will be applied to the highest sentence he's convicted of (Felony 1).

This will add years to however many years he is sentenced for (I'm hoping for 100).

(j) Habitual offender is a status that results in an enhanced sentence.  It is not a separate crime and does not result in a consecutive sentence.  The court shall attach the habitual offender enhancement to the felony conviction with the highest sentence imposed and specify which felony count is being enhanced.  If the felony enhanced by the habitual offender determination is set aside or vacated, the court shall resentence the person and apply the habitual offender enhancement to the felony conviction with the next highest sentence in the underlying cause, if any.

Sec. 8 . (a) The state may seek to have a person sentenced as a habitual offender for a felony by alleging, on one (1) or more pages separate from the rest of the charging instrument, that the person has accumulated the required number of prior unrelated felony convictions in accordance with this section.

Last edited:
I’m looking through his Google reviews. There’s one “four years ago” praising a rest stop in Jellico, Tennessee. Don’t those big, state-run rest stops have decent security cameras? I believe someone brought up a post by Tennessee police that may have leaked information?
There is a "delightful" destination at the top of Jellico along with the two gas stations. Adult World, with live entertainment. We always wait to get gas and stop about 20 miles from there, because, ewwww!

It 's not a charge, however, being a "Habitual Offender" will increase the amount of sentencing time (once convicted)

As stated in Indiana Law (below), the Judge will take into consideration that he is a "Habitual Offender) and it will be applied to the highest sentence he's convicted of (Felony 1).

This will add years to however many years he is sentenced for (I'm hoping for 100).

(j) Habitual offender is a status that results in an enhanced sentence.  It is not a separate crime and does not result in a consecutive sentence.  The court shall attach the habitual offender enhancement to the felony conviction with the highest sentence imposed and specify which felony count is being enhanced.  If the felony enhanced by the habitual offender determination is set aside or vacated, the court shall resentence the person and apply the habitual offender enhancement to the felony conviction with the next highest sentence in the underlying cause, if any.

Sec. 8 . (a) The state may seek to have a person sentenced as a habitual offender for a felony by alleging, on one (1) or more pages separate from the rest of the charging instrument, that the person has accumulated the required number of prior unrelated felony convictions in accordance with this section.

So, Zen.... my question is about that July 2017 date. Do you think that is when this law became effective? Or is that effective due to his crimes around that date?

That is great news on the habitual offender status. I was not sure what that would mean so thank you @zencompass for explaining.
On another note not sure if this really means anything or if it has already been posted but this link from his time in SD says he has an alias/nickname of Blue Chadwell. He has brown eyes so it's not that.
James B. Chadwell Inmate 3027: South Dakota Prisoner

My thoughts on James Chadwell

He became oddly more active on social media around the middle of 2017. Way more than he was previously, almost like he was trying to prove like he was trying to fit in.

He enjoys dark humor, bdsm, camping at parks, being alone, but at the same time trying to meet for relationships. His FB profile screams controlling to me. It doesn't appear like he wants a lasting relationship he enjoys being alone for everyone's safety. He mentions being alone multiple times throughout the years.

On the other hand some posts are trying to prove he is a good guy.

He's referred to himself as a psycho, has to remind himself to calm down, talks about breaking things, talks about being in pain, doesn't want to follow rules, and misses prison.

He uses the terms boys and girls a lot. Much more than most adults would recently he even wanted to be involved with a youth group.

On TikTok he posted right before he kidnapped the little girl.. not 1 but 2 videos about "rape day". I've seen many other people post videos supporting women if something was to happen, but his is just different. He almost seems to hint at something on the second one he posted.

He's posted bridge posts multiple times. Kind of an odd thing to do. One post he even talked about sleeping under a bridge for multiple days. One of the posts he mentions about them reminding him of his childhood. Almost feels like subtle hints.

He idolized the Joker. The Joker character is a psychopath who enjoys chaos, destruction, and harming others. Blaming the world for making him the way he was.

One of his posts was about not being a mean person, but having a heart of a girl sitting in a jar on a desk. Most normal people I know would not find this as something to want to post.

To me he wants to be alone, and away from most of the public eye. Even talks about getting a cabin in the woods. It's rare when he actually posts about going out, and doing things with others. He's an outdoors type, and enjoys being in parks.

Although he doesn't post much about his music preferences he did post about a song called Man That You Fear. Also he had other music playing in the background of his TikToks. His music preferences are fairly scattered, slow songs, rap music, and hip hop. Could just be a ploy to keep the persona to look normal or maybe he just likes everything.

He does try his best to make himself look normal on the internet when he can though, and even has posted and said things that he wouldn't do then he ends up doing them. He is a habitual liar you can find it many times going through FB and TikTok at one point he will say something is wrong or something he wouldn't do it then he turns around and does that thing.

I personally believe he may have a split personality disorder. He does have psychotic tendencies, and he is very wishy washy on what he puts up for the world to see. If he is responsible for anything other than the little girl he raped, and tortured I pray it is brought to light and he can be brought justice on all charges.

My thoughts on James Chadwell

He became oddly more active on social media around the middle of 2017. Way more than he was previously, almost like he was trying to prove like he was trying to fit in.

He enjoys dark humor, bdsm, camping at parks, being alone, but at the same time trying to meet for relationships. His FB profile screams controlling to me. It doesn't appear like he wants a lasting relationship he enjoys being alone for everyone's safety. He mentions being alone multiple times throughout the years.

On the other hand some posts are trying to prove he is a good guy.

He's referred to himself as a psycho, has to remind himself to calm down, talks about breaking things, talks about being in pain, doesn't want to follow rules, and misses prison.

He uses the terms boys and girls a lot. Much more than most adults would recently he even wanted to be involved with a youth group.

On TikTok he posted right before he kidnapped the little girl.. not 1 but 2 videos about "rape day". I've seen many other people post videos supporting women if something was to happen, but his is just different. He almost seems to hint at something on the second one he posted.

He's posted bridge posts multiple times. Kind of an odd thing to do. One post he even talked about sleeping under a bridge for multiple days. One of the posts he mentions about them reminding him of his childhood. Almost feels like subtle hints.

He idolized the Joker. The Joker character is a psychopath who enjoys chaos, destruction, and harming others. Blaming the world for making him the way he was.

One of his posts was about not being a mean person, but having a heart of a girl sitting in a jar on a desk. Most normal people I know would not find this as something to want to post.

To me he wants to be alone, and away from most of the public eye. Even talks about getting a cabin in the woods. It's rare when he actually posts about going out, and doing things with others. He's an outdoors type, and enjoys being in parks.

Although he doesn't post much about his music preferences he did post about a song called Man That You Fear. Also he had other music playing in the background of his TikToks. His music preferences are fairly scattered, slow songs, rap music, and hip hop. Could just be a ploy to keep the persona to look normal or maybe he just likes everything.

He does try his best to make himself look normal on the internet when he can though, and even has posted and said things that he wouldn't do then he ends up doing them. He is a habitual liar you can find it many times going through FB and TikTok at one point he will say something is wrong or something he wouldn't do it then he turns around and does that thing.

I personally believe he may have a split personality disorder. He does have psychotic tendencies, and he is very wishy washy on what he puts up for the world to see. If he is responsible for anything other than the little girl he raped, and tortured I pray it is brought to light and he can be brought justice on all charges.

Good post! Im with you on everything except the dissociative identity disorder. I do not think he dissociates as much as he wears a "mask" of sorts. He wants to hide those parts of himself to the world, but he is aware of them. Thats why he chooses to hide them.

I cannot stand this pervo. Good riddance, fool.

Lafayette Man Charged With Attempted Murder, Kidnapping - 93.1FM WIBC

Excerpt: (from above news article):

"On Monday, Chadwell was charged with the following:

• Attempted murder
  • Attempted child molestation
  • Battery resulting in serious bodily injury
  • Being a habitual offender
  • Child molestation
  • Criminal confinement resulting in serious bodily injury
  • Kidnapping
  • Strangulation"

Good post! Im with you on everything except the dissociative identity disorder. I do not think he dissociates as much as he wears a "mask" of sorts. He wants to hide those parts of himself to the world, but he is aware of them. Thats why he chooses to hide them....

BBM. I was struck over the past several days by how different he looks in different pictures with different hair cuts and facial hair. Am not a psych professional, and I know that some people change styles frequently, but it did make me wonder if he has some "different personalty traits" that are not in harmony with each other. Also all the tattoos and ear things.... and let me just say that I do realize that tattoos are more mainstream these days, but seems like a lot, IMHO.

Just noting:

JCB apparently lived at this address in 2016, at least according to the attached court document. Had he prior contact with the victim or the victims family in 2016?

Looking at property records the home has been owned by someone else. I’m assuming it’s a rental, but can’t confirm. It’s curious he wound back in the same home just two weeks ago after moving around so much over the years.

maybe he enjoyed being close to the park?

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Property search link: Access Property Tax & Assessment Records | Tippecanoe County, IN

click on the “Beacon” icon and enter address

edit typos and random thought

Wasn't he sued a year or two ago by his father for eviction?

Lafayette Man Charged With Attempted Murder, Kidnapping - 93.1FM WIBC

Excerpt: (from above news article):

"On Monday, Chadwell was charged with the following:

• Attempted murder
  • Attempted child molestation
  • Battery resulting in serious bodily injury
  • Being a habitual offender
  • Child molestation
  • Criminal confinement resulting in serious bodily injury
  • Kidnapping
  • Strangulation"
I really hate to discuss this.... but I have a question. Do we think the attempted child molestation as well as the child molestation charges mean one "round" of success and maybe a second round where it was not successful? Like maybe when the police interrupted or something? I was surprised to see both charges. I expected the child molestation, but not attempted. And I am VERY glad they charged attempted murder. Because thats what it was. This was no situation where there was an accident and he tried to cover up. This was calculated and intentional. No need to pretty it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member