IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iirc, in one of the YT videos (posted in media thread), the reporter refers to that doll picture as “satanic dolls”.

It is also stated in that video, iirc, that he identifies as Hispanic, or “Latin American”, iirc. Jmo.

eta/videos here
*I think what I’m referencing is there, YT videos.

I can see the Hispanic in this picture more than the others I've seen. MOO.
Google Maps

Seems like some astute neighbors had spoken with him, were suspicious and initially alerted police to him upon their arrival.
I think she felt safe because he was right next door.
BBM
While questioning neighbors, several of them told officers that the child’s next-door neighbor, James Brian Chadwell II, said he saw the girl after she disappeared.
When the officers arrived at Chadwell’s house, he denied knowing the victim’s whereabouts but said she’d been by his home earlier and left.
According to the Journal & Courier, authorities searched throughout the home, including the basement, which had a chain lock on the door. Officers got the door open and heard a child crying from the bottom of the basement stairs.
After getting past the chain lock on the door to the basement, they found her further restrained in some manner when they went downstairs.
A little girl, locked up at the bottom of the stairs, told the officers that Chadwell tried to kill her. She reportedly had bruises all over her body, strangulation marks on her neck, and dog bites on her leg.
Next door neighbor locks 9-year-old girl in basement, cops interrupt rape & MURDER in progress: Police

316d881f-1cb2-460a-81dd-d38a72103d53_1140x641.jpg

Credit: WTHR
The Lafayette Police Department said the 9-year-old girl was found in the home of James Chadwell II.

source

714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 | Zillow
(Map, Photo, & Streetview at link)

*There are 3 schools within an .8 of a mile (Elementary, Middle and High School)

“This is a 912 square foot, 1.0 bathroom, single family home. This home is located at 714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904.”

Zestimate
$127,062

Interior details

Bedrooms and bathrooms

• Bathrooms: 1
Basement
  • Basement: Unfinished
Heating
  • Heating features: Other
Cooling
  • Cooling features: Central
Other interior features
  • Total interior livable area: 912 sqft

Property details

Parking

• Parking features: Garage - Attached
Lot
  • Lot size: 5,998 sqft
Other property information
  • Parcel number: 790728432004000004

Construction details

Type and style

• Home type: SingleFamily
Material information
  • Construction materials: Frame
  • Foundation: Crawl/Raised
  • Roof: Asphalt
Condition
  • Year built: 1943

Last edited:
316d881f-1cb2-460a-81dd-d38a72103d53_1140x641.jpg

Credit: WTHR
The Lafayette Police Department said the 9-year-old girl was found in the home of James Chadwell II.

source

(Map, Photo, & Streetview at link)

*There are 3 schools within an .8 of a mile (Elementary, Middle and High School)

“This is a 912 square foot, 1.0 bathroom, single family home. This home is located at 714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904.”

Zestimate
$127,062

Interior details

Bedrooms and bathrooms

• Bathrooms: 1
Basement
  • Basement: Unfinished
Heating
  • Heating features: Other
Cooling
  • Cooling features: Central
Other interior features
  • Total interior livable area: 912 sqft

Property details

Parking

• Parking features: Garage - Attached
Lot
  • Lot size: 5,998 sqft
Other property information
  • Parcel number: 790728432004000004

Construction details

Type and style

• Home type: SingleFamily
Material information
  • Construction materials: Frame
  • Foundation: Crawl/Raised
  • Roof: Asphalt
Condition
  • Year built: 1943

It could be this data has been edited since the time of the crime. The basement is not totally unfinished. It is partially finished. The original listing stated the basement could be finished out in order to have an extra living space.

After reading the property's description a few days ago, I posted here by asking if he had a sofa in the basement. jmho

Lafayette man charged with attempted murder and child molestation

“The girl was found naked, with her clothing on the floor beside her.
She told police that Chadwell tried to kill her. She'd gone to Chadwell's to pet his dog but once she was inside, he attacked her and hit her in the head several times because she was fighting back.
She told police that Chadwell was choking her and putting her into a headlock before she passed out.
When she regained consciousness, she says Chadwell took her into the basement, where she said Chadwell tried to rape her, before sexually assaulting her another way. Chadwell got dressed at some point, to answer the door for the police.

Prosecutors also say the victim had lateral strangulation marks across her neck, she had broken blood vessels with black eyes, bruising to her head, arms, and legs, and bite marks.””

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
30 minutes is pretty quick to call the police. Thank god the parents did. I think often we assume we are overreacting (trying not to panic because we know the kid will show up!) and precious time is wasted by not acting quickly.

This case reminds me of Ariel Castro who kidnapped 3 young women and kept them in his locked basement. There’s NO reason to have a padlock on your basement door....

It could be this data has been edited since the time of the crime. The basement is not totally unfinished. It is partially finished. The original listing stated the basement could be finished out in order to have an extra living space......After reading the property's description a few days ago, I posted here by asking if he had a sofa in the basement. jmho

Jumping off DeDee's response to Margarita25's post-

Yes, DeDee! I believe the data online has been edited recently.

If you look carefully at Margarita25's original source link going to the WTHR article, focus on the 714 Park Ave house in the video and photo. It was confusing deciphering the front and back of the house.
Then look at the house views on Zillow.com and realtor.com "listings".
The attached garage is in the back accessed by a partial block alley that backs up to the Main St. backyards. Yikes!!
And you can see the fenced back yard (and shed!!) we were wondering about.......
On the Tippecanoe County real estate tax site there are 5 views of the property as well..... It shows the house changed hands last summer, but no inside pictures were retained. I believe they were scrubbed from the Internet.
Mapping out a hypothetical 2400 (24??) block address to 714 Park Ave on Bing (choose aerial or road view) or Google Maps (choose map or satellite view) it helps to clarify even further.

Now that we know so much more as of yesterday, this little comparison clearly shows how easily and quickly this happened and the proximity from a geographical perspective.

Frightening, horrific, opportunistic, so many adjectives come to mind. She must have been beyond terrified, I can't even imagine.

This poor little angel, her family, the neighborhood, this city, etc. will never be the same.
Thank you to all the WSers, you nailed it and certainly are Rockstar investigators!

Links repeated for clarity:
Man charged with attempted murder after missing girl rescued from his Lafayette home | wthr.com
714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 - realtor.com®
Property Tax Payments | Tippecanoe County, IN (click on Property Info at the top to access and plug in the address at Beacon - Tippecanoe County, IN - Search (schneidercorp.com)
2400 main st to 714 park ave lafayette in - Bing Maps (change A to 2401 Main St for a hypothetical 2400 block address)
2401 Main St, Lafayette, IN 47904 to 714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 - Google Maps

IMO, MOO, and the rest of the alphabet

Jumping off DeDee's response to Margarita25's post-

Yes, DeDee! I believe the data online has been edited recently.

If you look carefully at Margarita25's original source link going to the WTHR article, focus on the 714 Park Ave house in the video and photo. It was confusing deciphering the front and back of the house.
Then look at the house views on Zillow.com and realtor.com "listings".
The attached garage is in the back accessed by a partial block alley that backs up to the Main St. backyards. Yikes!!
And you can see the fenced back yard (and shed!!) we were wondering about.......
On the Tippecanoe County real estate tax site there are 5 views of the property as well..... It shows the house changed hands last summer, but no inside pictures were retained. I believe they were scrubbed from the Internet.
Mapping out a hypothetical 2400 (24??) block address to 714 Park Ave on Bing (choose aerial or road view) or Google Maps (choose map or satellite view) it helps to clarify even further.

Now that we know so much more as of yesterday, this little comparison clearly shows how easily and quickly this happened and the proximity from a geographical perspective.

Frightening, horrific, opportunistic, so many adjectives come to mind. She must have been beyond terrified, I can't even imagine.

This poor little angel, her family, the neighborhood, this city, etc. will never be the same.
Thank you to all the WSers, you nailed it and certainly are Rockstar investigators!

Links repeated for clarity:
Man charged with attempted murder after missing girl rescued from his Lafayette home | wthr.com
714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 - realtor.com®
Property Tax Payments | Tippecanoe County, IN (click on Property Info at the top to access and plug in the address at Beacon - Tippecanoe County, IN - Search (schneidercorp.com)
2400 main st to 714 park ave lafayette in - Bing Maps (change A to 2401 Main St for a hypothetical 2400 block address)
2401 Main St, Lafayette, IN 47904 to 714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 - Google Maps

IMO, MOO, and the rest of the alphabet

Thank you, FBEye. Frankly, if I owned the Park Ave. property, I'd change whatever I felt best suited my future financial interests. I'd read where the home was 'updated' in FEB 2021.

I believe the reason wthr.com showed an image with crime scene tape at the back of the 714 Park Ave residence, as opposed to the front facing Park Ave., was because it shows the entry point of the victim.

If true, she entered via the alleyway which, as you noted, contains the backyards of the homes on the 2400 block of Main Street, near the bus stop on the map you provided, where the missing person's report to police was made.

How lucky this little girl was to be found by LE. With all those injuries and the black eyes, he was never going to let her go home. Whether he was going to keep her for his sadistic enjoyment or kill her he was never going to let her go alive.
I can't believe this is his first rodeos. What were his plans? MOO

Lafayette man charged with attempted murder and child molestation
“The girl was found naked, with her clothing on the floor beside her.
She told police that Chadwell tried to kill her. She'd gone to Chadwell's to pet his dog but once she was inside, he attacked her and hit her in the head several times because she was fighting back.
She told police that Chadwell was choking her and putting her into a headlock before she passed out.
When she regained consciousness, she says Chadwell took her into the basement, where she said Chadwell tried to rape her, before sexually assaulting her another way. Chadwell got dressed at some point, to answer the door for the police.
Prosecutors also say the victim had lateral strangulation marks across her neck, she had broken blood vessels with black eyes, bruising to her head, arms, and legs, and bite marks.””

<modsnip>

SBM
Found naked, just makes me sicker. What a monster!!

Pre-trial three months from now???? That seems like forever.

".......He is set to have a pre-trial hearing on July 16th. His bond is set for $500,000 Surety and $50,000 Cash..........."

SBM
Found naked, just makes me sicker. What a monster!!

Pre-trial three months from now???? That seems like forever.

".......He is set to have a pre-trial hearing on July 16th. His bond is set for $500,000 Surety and $50,000 Cash..........."
Wonder. Does he rent or own? 50k to a bondsman seems too little. What is up with Indiana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member