Possible Sightings

Does anyone know if tips regarding alleged sightings/encounters were ever released in the FBI case file? The podcast True Crime BS was able to obtain, albeit heavily redacted, case files and I've always wondered if there were more tips on this front than what is widely known, even if they seem far fetched I really want to read those tips.

Does anyone know if tips regarding alleged sightings/encounters were ever released in the FBI case file? The podcast True Crime BS was able to obtain, albeit heavily redacted, case files and I've always wondered if there were more tips on this front than what is widely known, even if they seem far fetched I really want to read those tips.
FBI docs on Keyes can be found here >>>
Israel Keyes

You should definitely report this directly to the FBI if you haven't already.

Yeah, I was worried I'd be wasting their time because it has been 15 years and he was already caught. I also don't know where the information about IK saying he got his name from his "hippie parents" even came from, because the likelihood of this sighting being IK is really dependent on the use of that phrase, as well as the discovery by Josh Hallmark that IK was working only a few hundred feet from where the smoking shack was at that time. I don't know who his source is or how he found that info.

I'm a former reporter and so I'm reluctant to make assumptions about who this was (and reluctant to get involved in any investigation outside of reporting on it).

However, if the "hippie parents" phrase really was a common thing for him to say and if he really did like hanging around college parking lots, then it does seem like a fairly likely sighting, especially given the info that Josh shared on the podcast about IK's time in Everett.

So, long story short, I finally got around to it and sent the tip to the FBI via their online form. I will update if I get a response.

You should definitely report this directly to the FBI if you haven't already.

Yeah, I was worried I'd be wasting their time because it has been 15 years and he was already caught. I also don't know where the information about IK saying he got his name from his "hippie parents" even came from, because the likelihood of this sighting being IK is really dependent on the use of that phrase, as well as the discovery by Josh Hallmark that IK was working only a few hundred feet from where the smoking shack was at that time. I don't know who his source is or how he found that info.

I'm a former reporter and so I'm reluctant to make assumptions about who this was (and reluctant to get involved in any investigation outside of reporting on it).

However, if the "hippie parents" phrase really was a common thing for him to say and if he really did like hanging around college parking lots, then it does seem like a fairly likely sighting, especially given the info that Josh shared on the podcast about IK's time in Everett.

So, long story short, I finally got around to it and sent the tip to the FBI via their online form. I will update if I get a response.

He had short curly dark hair and the smoothest, hair free skin I have ever seen. He made every hair on my body stand up and scream “RUN!”.

I remember thinking his skin looked weird, I cant remember exactly why, it wasn't because of acne or scars or anything, I think it was more that he looked plastic, almost fake?

This is very creepy. Maybe he shaved his body to minimise any potential DNA left at the scene?
Ohhh man, this gave me chills.

Sounds like his unnaturally shiny skin came from Botox/surgery per this article (also given that he traveled to Mexico for these surgeries there could be sightings/victims there as well): Israel Keyes May Have Tried To Biohack Himself So He Would Become A More Efficient Killer | Oxygen Official Site

Last edited:
Okay, so I started binging the TCBS podcast this weekend. Keyes is someone I’d never done a deep dive on and didn’t really know much about prior. After listening to enough episodes to gather his general MO, I started to seriously wonder if an encounter I had in 2010 in St. Louis, MO could have been him. This took place in the County, not in the City. For anyone familiar with the area, it’s basically the suburbs but is also 30 minutes from plenty of remote hiking/rivers/camping locations.

Looking at the timeline, it could be possible since we know he was around Chicago, but I’ve never seen any stories tying him to St. Louis which is what makes me the most doubtful. Anyway, here’s my story, do with it what you will.

This most likely took place between August 2010 and December 2010, but I’m having trouble pinning it down exactly. I think the weather was somewhat mild so December is probably unlikely. I know that I was 16 and had recently gotten my driver’s license and it was during the school semester because I remember being really nervous for an exam. I’m 5 foot 2 and was probably 125 lbs at the time.

A close friend of mine and I would frequently go to Borders to study together. We eventually became friends with the barista since we sat at the cafe most of the time. It was a Seattle’s Best cafe. That is what we were doing on this particular night.
My friend left earlier than me. Nearing closing time it was only myself and one other man sitting in the cafe area. He kept staring at me and I was getting increasingly uncomfortable. I wanted to leave but I was worried about this man so I waited to see if he would leave first. But he didn’t, and every time I tried to sneak a look he was looking at me.

He had dark hair. I can’t recall his clothing or facial features at all, but I remember thinking he was between 25-35. He had a black backpack at his feet. He was sitting in the far corner nearest to the windows overlooking the parking lot. I do recall earlier in the evening he was talking with two college-aged men sitting at the table nearest him.

Anyway, back to closing time. I was tired of waiting for him to leave and it was five minutes to close, so I stood up and started gathering my items. The man stood up rather abruptly and exited the store. When he walked by me I remember thinking he was about a foot taller than me.

Since I could see into the parking lot from the cafe, I took note of which car he got into. He got into a car that was backed in, it was also in the furthest corner of the parking lot closest to the exit. I couldn’t see the car very well from my vantage point.
Since I was friends with the barista she would often let me stay and chat while she did closing duties even after the store was locked up. I decided to wait ten more minutes to see if he left. He didn’t… he was just sitting in his car in the parking lot.

At this point I was on high alert and completely freaked out and anxious. I just had the absolute worst feeling in the pit of my stomach. I asked the male manager to walk me to my car and he did. I was literally shaking with anxiety starting my car. I believe I was in my dad’s 2002 Camry. I pull out and sure enough, this man starts following behind me in his car.

I had a better view of it and it appeared to be a late 90’s or early 2000 sedan style car. I don’t remember the color or seeing a license plate, which I now regret deeply. I was so nervous it really feels like a blur! The most notable feature was that one of the head lights was out. This ended up potentially saving my life!

Because I knew he had this headlight out, I knew that I would be able to tell if he was following me and keep track of him easily. I drove around senselessly to see if he was really following. He followed the whole way, so at this point I’m calling my Mom crying. She dismisses me saying I’m probably just being overly anxious.

Why I didn’t call the police, I have no idea. So I’m insanely scared and shaking to the point where it’s hard to drive but I knew I had to keep driving. I remembered learning somewhere not to drive home if you suspect you’re being followed. I drive around for maybe 15 minutes and the car followed all the while but not too closely.

I made a last minute decision to turn into a McDonald’s drive thru and the car didn’t follow me. I composed myself and looked around for the car. I decided I would call the police if I saw his car again, but I never did and eventually decided to go home.

This has always stuck with me and I truly believe that this man was targeting me that night. I have no idea if it was IK or not, and looking at pictures of him doesn’t spark any type of memory of the face of this person for me.

This possibly wasn’t a remote enough location for him to look for a victim, but I will point out some key features of the Borders location. It was directly off of highway 270, which runs all the way to the coast in VA. The parking lot was lower than the main road above, so passersby wouldn’t be able to see that back row of the parking lot from the road, it also didn’t have any cameras. Again, this was the suburbs, so not too many cars driving around 10pm at night.

On my list of doubts is that the car probably wasn’t a rental. It seemed too old and most of the time they aren’t renting cars with a headlight out. I also feel like the person I saw appeared tanner than the photographs I’ve seen of IK, but it was definitely a white male with dark hair about 6 foot 2.

In hindsight, I absolutely should have called the police, but I’m still proud I remembered learning at some point not to drive home. Be smarter than me and call the police if you suspect you’re being followed!! I can’t shake the feeling it could have been Keyes, but I just don’t see how it fits with the timeline. Maybe someone more familiar can sus out if it’s even possible.

Shewww that’s a gnarly story Keyes or otherwise.

I can’t help on the timeline but TCBS does maybe place Keyes in the broad STL area thru some apocryphal highway stories, I think s2e10 is the one where they discuss it? Can’t recall the timeframe on that though, I want to say it was earlier than 2010 but idk.

Also Keyes did definitely cruise areas that were at least urban-adjacent, that’s not a deal breaker at all. I don’t know precisely where you’re talking about, but I lived in the region in 2010 and know STL county for sure so I can picture it ish. Who knows but either way yikes.

Shewww that’s a gnarly story Keyes or otherwise.

I can’t help on the timeline but TCBS does maybe place Keyes in the broad STL area thru some apocryphal highway stories, I think s2e10 is the one where they discuss it? Can’t recall the timeframe on that though, I want to say it was earlier than 2010 but idk.

Also Keyes did definitely cruise areas that were at least urban-adjacent, that’s not a deal breaker at all. I don’t know precisely where you’re talking about, but I lived in the region in 2010 and know STL county for sure so I can picture it ish. Who knows but either way yikes.

To be more specific, this was Creve Coeur MO. The Borders is now an Aldi. If anyone wants to look on a map. The highway does connect up to the quickest way to Chicago from here as well. Chicago and Indiana are two of the locations we know he’s been that’s fairly close. I’ll definitely go see if I can find the episode you referenced!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back