Identified! CA - Delano, Hisp/Ntv Fem 59UFCA, 30-34, 'Shirley, Seattle' tattoo, Jul'80 - Shirley Ann Soosay

Some more thoughts:

LE investigating both Shirley's and Westlake Jane Doe's murders, to my knowledge, think that both women may have been abducted by Chouest. They thought Shirley may have been abducted from a certain bar by Chouest and I believe (haven't found yet) that Ventura County LE believes that the pregnant Doe may have also been abducted and held captive. I am curious how long, if it all, these poor women were kept in captivity.

Do we know if Wilson Chouest had any links to Seattle or WA? I have heard that he was from Louisiana originally, but seeing as he wound up in California I don't think it's impossible he had some connections to WA.

So she disappeared from Seattle, went to California in roughly the Delano area, and possibly worked at an apple orchard. I wonder what brought her to California, and to Seattle. I am just very curious about the Seattle connection because, from my point of view as someone who grew up and still lives in the Seattle metropolitan area, it seems like a surprising and possibly impractical place for her to live. I think it would have made a lot of sense for her to have lived in eastern WA.

Some more thoughts:

LE investigating both Shirley's and Westlake Jane Doe's murders, to my knowledge, think that both women may have been abducted by Chouest. They thought Shirley may have been abducted from a certain bar by Chouest and I believe (haven't found yet) that Ventura County LE believes that the pregnant Doe may have also been abducted and held captive. I am curious how long, if it all, these poor women were kept in captivity.

Do we know if Wilson Chouest had any links to Seattle or WA? I have heard that he was from Louisiana originally, but seeing as he wound up in California I don't think it's impossible he had some connections to WA.

So she disappeared from Seattle, went to California in roughly the Delano area, and possibly worked at an apple orchard. I wonder what brought her to California, and to Seattle. I am just very curious about the Seattle connection because, from my point of view as someone who grew up and still lives in the Seattle metropolitan area, it seems like a surprising and possibly impractical place for her to live. I think it would have made a lot of sense for her to have lived in eastern WA.

Chouest told investigators that he picked up Ventura Jane Doe hitchhiking in Visalia. Whether we want to believe him is another thing.

From my understanding, she lived in Seattle many years. Just shortly before her death she went to Cali for unknown reasons (the apple picker migrant worker story may or may not be true).

I wonder if we can trust anything Chouest said.
He could not even get Shirleys name right (unless Shirley used an alias, but why would she?). The "Becky Ochoa" statement also derailed the identification for some time.

Since Shirley was found intoxicated with a high blood alcohol content, the statement he picked her up in a bar is a more credible. He may have found her there alone, slightly disoriented and vulnerable and took advantage of her situation.
He as well may have approached her (maybe in a flirty way) in the bar and offered to pay for her drinks. Once she was helpless, he may have offered her a ride to whereever place she was staying, but raped and killed her instead. Plenty of predators taking advantage of vulnerable people that way, looking for lonely victims. Poor Shirley obviously had a difficult life, maybe she was in pain after her injuries/surgeries and unless she wore an upper denture that was never recovered, it was clear she had limited access to dental care.

That is very interesting. Then she either gave herself a fake name or they simply confused her with someone else.
Like the Jacques theory with Jim Freund... because a campground owner claimed he met them and the man was Canadian.

That is very interesting. Then she either gave herself a fake name or they simply confused her with someone else.
Like the Jacques theory with Jim Freund... because a campground owner claimed he met them and the man was Canadian.
I think that it could be a coincidence, unless further information is released on Becky Ochoa’s coworkers, it could have been a case of mistaken identity.

When they announced that Jim Freund was from Pennsylvania my first thought was that there is an older Quebecois Jacques out there who was having a fun summer road trip in the 70s and has no idea a bunch of internet sleuths think he was murdered. I have never doubted that the sighting happened, I just now think he was a lookalike.

I think Shirley, if it was her that was Becky Ochoa, may have started going by a new name in California to try to get a fresh start and didn't want to be associated by the name Shirley anymore. Or it could be another mistaken identity sighting, although I doubt this more than with the Sumter County victims. Shirley was spotted at the bar, right? With her high BAC it adds up.

When they announced that Jim Freund was from Pennsylvania my first thought was that there is an older Quebecois Jacques out there who was having a fun summer road trip in the 70s and has no idea a bunch of internet sleuths think he was murdered. I have never doubted that the sighting happened, I just now think he was a lookalike.

I think Shirley, if it was her that was Becky Ochoa, may have started going by a new name in California to try to get a fresh start and didn't want to be associated by the name Shirley anymore. Or it could be another mistaken identity sighting, although I doubt this more than with the Sumter County victims. Shirley was spotted at the bar, right? With her high BAC it adds up.
I agree, maybe Shirley changed her name for her fresh start, as she wanted to work at the apple orchard.

'Jane Doe' in California identified as Cree woman missing since 1980s
New image of Shirley and her sister Bella in this article.
SHIRLEY-SOOSAY.jpg

From the above link.

Do we know if Wilson lived in Seattle?
It is mentioned that Shirley was visiting someone in Seattle.

Do we know if Wilson lived in Seattle?
It is mentioned that Shirley was visiting someone in Seattle.

He claimed he randomly met her in a bar close to where she was found later. He did not meet her in Seattle.
Why she left Seattle for Cali, nobody knows yet as of now.
If the apple picker theory is correct (i doubt it), then she maybe went as a transient worktraveler.

He claimed he randomly met her in a bar close to where she was found later. He did not meet her in Seattle.
Why she left Seattle for Cali, nobody knows yet as of now.
If the apple picker theory is correct (i doubt it), then she maybe went as a transient worktraveler.
I agree, i wonder if we may ever know who she was suppossed to meet at Seattle.

Shirley Ann Soosay is One of First Indigenous Peoples Does to be ID'ed by Genetic Genealogy
rbbm.
575436.jpg

''Based on the genealogy research, it was determined that the deceased woman descended from Indigenous First Nations People from Canada, a population which is under-represented in most DNA databases.

“This case was particularly challenging because Indigenous family histories are usually relayed orally, so there is little written genealogical documentation available," said team leader Gina Wrather.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.
Back