Deceased/Not Found NY - Saniyya Dennis, 19, SUNY College Student, Buffalo, 24 Apr 2021

The family of a Buffalo State College student missing since last weekend has put up a $10,000 reward for information that leads to her safe return. In the meantime, the family of Saniyya Dennis has traveled to Buffalo from New York City, and expressed their frustration Friday over the investigation so far.

[...]

As student remains missing, family airs frustration

Surveillance cameras in an elevator in her dorm and then just outside her dorm show her leaving and heading toward Elmwood Avenue just after 11 p.m., [Chief of University Police Peter] Carey told reporters at a news conference Friday.

Police also located a ping on her cellphone at 1:23 a.m. Sunday in the area of Goat Island in Niagara Falls State Park.

[...]

Just before the news conference began, the family said, they learned that a K9 search had been conducted that day.

And then as the news conference was concluding, the police chief volunteered that he had just learned from the NFTA that they had located some kind of video footage.

[...]

Family of missing Buffalo State student demanding more answers

Family members of Saniyya Dennis keep doing everything they can to find her. The latest info is that according to Buffalo State police, the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority has video of Saniyya at the NFTA's bus terminal downtown.

Buffalo State officials and her family held a news conference Friday, which got heated. The family is extremely upset about the speed of the investigation. They feel not enough is being done.

[...]

Her family says they’ve heard from a friend of Saniyya’s that Saniyya may have gotten on an NFTA bus going to the NFTA’s terminal downtown and then up to Niagara Falls.

Buffalo State Police now say that there is video of her at the bus terminal.

Saniyya’s sister says about an hour later, Saniyya sent a text to her mom, saying she loved her and will call her back.

[...]

Family of missing Buffalo State student critical of law enforcement search | wgrz.com

If she took the bus to Niagara Falls, it looks like she took the last bus of the night and would not have been able to take a bus home that night.

It is an hour long bus ride. The state park is open 24 hours.

This seems just terrible. :(

I wonder which stop she got off at in NF. Dont most busses have cameras now? I think the police know more than they are letting out as to not scare a POI.

I have been reading about a lot of house parties in NF lately since clubs aren't open. She didn't look dressed for a party so I am curious if she got a call to go help a friend. It just seems odd with how her usual activities are described that she would get on a long ride on a late night bus with no return bus until morning. I am hoping she is safe but it doesn't look very likely.

Family of missing Buffalo State student critical of law enforcement search | wgrz.com

•the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority has video of Saniyya at the NFTA's bus terminal downtown
•Buffalo State officials and her family held a news conference Friday, which got heated.
•The family is extremely upset about the speed of the investigation. They feel not enough is being done.
•Buffalo State police say they’re doing everything they can and are working with numerous law enforcement agencies.
•a friend of Saniyya’s that Saniyya may have gotten on an NFTA bus going to the NFTA’s terminal downtown and then up to Niagara Falls.
•Buffalo State Police now say that there is video of her at the bus terminal
•about an hour later, Saniyya sent a text to her mom, saying she loved her and will call her back.
•Buffalo State police say after her phone was pinged, they learned Tuesday afternoon that her phone was near Goat Island.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

She has been entered into NamUs.

upload_2021-4-30_23-59-13.png

Circumstances of Disappearance
She is a missing college student from SUNY Buffalo State College.

May be in need of medical attention.

She may be in the local area or may travel to Yonkers.

Clothing
Last seen wearing black pants, black hoodie, yellow shirt, black and white checked Van sneakers, carrying a black back pack

Her Dad ripped my heart out during his plea for help. He was barely holding back tears. I’m amongst the hip hop/rap blogging community on YouTube. (I actually mod for a rapper.) Everyone is spreading the news like wildfire within the community. When I was her age, I would just spontaneously decide to drive to a state park lookout that you have to hike down to a bit. It’s a steep drop beyond the lookout barrier. MANY times, I went for no particular reason at all. The urge would just hit me. I lived alone, and told no one. It was about a 30min drive. Even though you’re not supposed to, I went late at night several times. Sometimes, I’d go to clear my thoughts. So, there’s always the possibility that she did something similar. I know we don’t know, I know. I’m just throwing that option and opinion into the mix.
JMO

Morning update and some search info:
Community members search for missing Buffalo State student | wgrz.com

"She doesn’t miss work. She doesn’t miss class. It’s also important to know that she turned in homework assignments on Saturday, up until she was last seen, so it doesn’t sound to me like a person who wasn’t planning on turning back to their dorm or returning back to school.”

I am familiar with Goat Island from a visitor's perspective and sometimes while there your phone can ping as if in Canada - I wonder if there was also a Canadian tower ping. I say this as, depending on your carrier, AT&T or Verizon or another, while walking in the area visiting Niagara Falls, my phone would drop off my US carrier and pick up a Canadian carrier.

Morning update and some search info:
Community members search for missing Buffalo State student | wgrz.com

"She doesn’t miss work. She doesn’t miss class. It’s also important to know that she turned in homework assignments on Saturday, up until she was last seen, so it doesn’t sound to me like a person who wasn’t planning on turning back to their dorm or returning back to school.”

I am familiar with Goat Island from a visitor's perspective and sometimes while there your phone can ping as if in Canada - I wonder if there was also a Canadian tower ping. I say this as, depending on your carrier, AT&T or Verizon or another, while walking in the area visiting Niagara Falls, my phone would drop off my US carrier and pick up a Canadian carrier.

There was a Canadian Ping, yes. That info is in the dreadful press conference. Searches resuming today. Possible sighting in NF on 04/29/2021 on surveillance. They are reviewing footage to confirm/deny if it was in fact Saniyya. Please keep those prayers going up Saniyya’s & the searchers safety and of course strength for her family during this time.

There was a Canadian Ping, yes. That info is in the dreadful press conference. Searches resuming today. Possible sighting in NF on 04/29/2021 on surveillance. They are reviewing footage to confirm/deny if it was in fact Saniyya. Please keep those prayers going up Saniyya’s & the searchers safety and of course strength for her family during this time.

That’s actually very encouraging. I hope it pans out to be true. I was a very responsible person with my job and bills, etc at her age, but I was wild, too. I did things no one ever thought I’d do, I was very spontaneous outside of work. It’s one of the happiest times in my life, so I remember how it felt.
Plus, you never know. There IS the possibility that she went there to clear her mind, fell and hit her head, and has amnesia. Yes, VERY slim chance, but putting it out there nonetheless. At 21, I moved in with a guy I’d just met who was twice my age for a few months. I just wanted adventure and freedom. I did some crazy stuff, BUT I was ALWAYS responsible at work and with paying my bills. Could she have met someone and just wanted to do something spontaneous? It doesn’t make sense, though, with her responsible behaviors. Unless she thought she’d only be there a night or 2.
AGAIN, I know that we do not know many details at all. This is purely my speculation on a few possibilities.
JMO IMOO

I don't think the border to Canada is open, except for essential travel.
That’s what made them realize it was still on the US side of the border because the border being closed due to COVID. Watch the press conference from last night. Somebody posted a link in previous comments.

What makes you say that it definitely sounds like she went to meet someone?

Why would she leave at night taking a bus to...meet no one? I guess I'm assuming it's too much effort if you just want to be by yourself. You could do that closer to home, without getting on a bus. I have not put a huge amount of thought into it, however.

The search continues for missing Buffalo State student Saniyya Dennis | News 4 Buffalo

May 1 (5 mins ago)
The search for her continued, canvassing Niagara Falls State Park and the surrounding area.

Cameras captured 19-year-old Saniyya Dennis leaving her dorm room, last Saturday night.

Her family believes she may have taken an NFTA bus to Niagara Falls.

Saniyya’s phone was last pinged early Sunday morning near Goat Island.

University Police is working with police agencies at the local, state, and federal level. Agencies involved in the search for Sanniya include the New York State Police, NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services Clearinghouse, NYS Park Police, City of Buffalo Police, City of Niagara Falls Police, Erie County Sheriff’s Office, Erie Crime Analysis Center, Erie County District Attorney’s Office, Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) Police, Niagara Regional Police, Amtrak Police, and the United States Secret Service.

Why would she leave at night taking a bus to...meet no one? I guess I'm assuming it's too much effort if you just want to be by yourself. You could do that closer to home, without getting on a bus. I have not put a huge amount of thought into it, however.

My opinion was that she would have traveled to Niagara Falls to go see the falls at night because they are magnificent and powerful and good for the soul.
I personally don't see the idea of her meeting someone as the only possible reason she would be in that location. Sometimes people like to do things alone. Either is a possibility. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back