IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a link, but I came across a blurb over this weekend about him being released from prison in 2011, and at a later date he walked away from a half way house, which resulted him being sent back to jail. So he would have been in jail or prison in 2012 for violating parole.

Was he in prison at this time?

If he was in prison in 2010, was this protective order still necessary: domestic abuse restraining order in place in Iowa from Sept 2010 until Sept, 2011.

Did something happen that landed him in jail at the same time?

upload_2021-5-2_19-29-23.png

upload_2021-5-2_19-29-29.png

(link)

He applied for a marriage license in 2012 in Indiana. If he was in jail in 2012 then it was not for the full year. I personally think he has been out of jail since 2011. Jmo
In one of his FB posts he mentioned being incarcerated for 13 1/2 years. Maybe that woman is the one he assaulted and then went back to prison until 2016. Imo

It's a bit confusing to me. He did a 6 year bit starting around 20 years ago(?), then was in and out of institutions for some years.

JMO

I'm wondering whether he is exaggerating to seem like a tough guy rather than a repeat petty criminal.

I'm also curious whether the restraining order in Iowa from Sept 2010 - Sept 2011 is being interpreted as jail time.

Hi. I’m glad you joined WS. I haven’t noticed his name come up but I kinda like for this case. Welcome.

March 15, 2009
Found Deceased - IN - Najah Ferrell, 30, Avon, Hendricks County, 15 March 2019

April 10, 2019
Some personal items believed to belong to Ferrell were also found in the area around I-465 and Lafayette Road.

Investigators described the remains as having a distinct tattoo that includes what appears to be the name "Najah."
Crown Point remains: What we know about missing Avon mom Najah Ferrell
Remains found in northwestern Indiana pond believed to be missing Avon mother Najah Ferrell | Fox 59

April 16, 2019
Facebook
Brian Chadwell
Replying to you again with another that I think he looks good for :
Chicago woman found dead in NW Indiana ditch
View attachment 295513

Body found in Newton County identified
*I’m really leaning heavy on the Najah Ferrell case. Her remains consisted of a foot with a tattoo. The above case also involves tattoos.

*tattoos... think about it.
*still got that hit and run on my mind

eta:
This one is also interesting:
IN - IN - Monica Jewell, 16, Kokomo, 13 February 1973

Last edited:
It's a bit confusing to me. He did a 6 year bit starting around 20 years ago(?), then was in and out of institutions for some years.

JMO
A South Dakota Penitentiary inmate from Rapid City faces an additional prison sentence of up to 15 years after being convicted of aggravated assault at an Oct. 11 court trial in Pierre.

James B. Chadwell, 23, was charged with aggravated assault after attacking a guard in March.

Chadwell was sentenced to prison in 2000 for an aggravated assault conviction in Pennington County. According to court records, Chadwell was convicted of punching a Rapid City police officer who was trying to arrest him in connection with damage caused to a vehicle parked in downtown Rapid City.
Inmate faces assault sentence

I've seen references to his time in prison. Has anyone seen a verified timeline of his time both in prison and jail? Has he served time in prison in SD & IN?

A South Dakota Penitentiary inmate from Rapid City faces an additional prison sentence of up to 15 years after being convicted of aggravated assault at an Oct. 11 court trial in Pierre.

James B. Chadwell, 23, was charged with aggravated assault after attacking a guard in March.

Chadwell was sentenced to prison in 2000 for an aggravated assault conviction in Pennington County. According to court records, Chadwell was convicted of punching a Rapid City police officer who was trying to arrest him in connection with damage caused to a vehicle parked in downtown Rapid City.
Inmate faces assault sentence

I've seen references to his time in prison. Has anyone seen a verified timeline of his time both in prison and jail? Has he served time in prison in SD & IN?
There’s documentation somewhere in thread 2

James Brian Chadwell is 42 years old. It's not likely that he suddenly decided to abduct, assault and murder children so late in life. I'm curious whether the reason that investigators have not provided an update regarding a DNA match between Chadwell, and the Delphi murders, is because they are looking at other murders as well.

When did Chadwell first start abducting and killing children? Five, ten, 15 years ago? It seems as though the reason he got caught this time is because he was overly confident after never having been caught in the past. He even admitted to police that he has spoken with the child, and sent police on their way. So confident was he that the police would not bother him again that he began assaulting the child.

If not the Delphi girls, then who?

Ordinarily, I'd agree. He was 38 in 2017. That's old for a first time.

I don't have any stats, but I'd guess that sex killers almost always start young. The sap is running strongest and the self-control lowest at some point in the late teens or early 20s. No telling to what age they'll continue it once they've started, however. Usually until caught.

But this guy had already by 2017 spent massive amounts of time locked up. He posted about one particular lockup being 13 1/2 years. So, for him, maybe. Very little access to girls.

Last edited:
which hit and run? Sorry I'm vague tonight.
I don’t know where Chadwell was around October 21/22 of 2020. It’s hard to tell looking through his cases but I’m liking him for this case. He’s had several hit and runs in the past. I don’t know what kind of vehicle he had but it sure sounds like his style...

As News 18 previously reported, officers found the body of 34-year-old Justin Wilson of Lafayette in the early morning of Oct 22. It happened in the 3100 blk of Sagamore Pkwy S. around 8:00 am that morning.
Lafayette police are looking for vehicle in hit-and-run case

"Multiple semis, there's some buses on there, there's some garbage trucks on there and lots of cars and pickups and that sort of thing," he says.

As News 18 previously reported, Indiana State Police recently analyzed paint chips collected from Wilson's clothes. A lab report suggests the vehicle had a custom paint job.

The report also says the paint chips were gold and black but LPD has not released a possible color of the suspect vehicle.

"You know who you are and please, just come forward ... you can't carry this around for the rest of your life, man," Robbins says. "Step up. Step up."
Lafayette family seeking justice in deadly hit-and-run
*which just so happens to be dated April 16, 2021 (three days before...) trigger???

*I found it still in my notes @Knox

James B. Chadwell, a South Dakota Penitentiary inmate, was sentenced on Tuesday by Judge William H. Srstka, Jr. Chadwell had been charged with aggravated assault after attacking a guard at the penitentiary in March 2002. He was later tried and convicted in a trial to the court. Chadwell received a sentence of 10 years with 5 years suspended as a result of the conviction. He will begin serving this sentence after he completes a previous sentence. Prior to this event, Chadwell was serving time in the penitentiary for an aggravated assault conviction out of Pennington County that occurred in 2000.

Aggravated assault is a class 3 felony, which carries a maximum penalty of 15 years and/or a $15,000 fine.

Chadwell’s prosecution was handled by the South Dakota Attorney General’s Office
South Dakota Attorney General

James B. Chadwell, a South Dakota Penitentiary inmate, was convicted of aggravated assault by Judge William H. Srstka, Jr. at a court trial last Friday.

Chadwell was charged with aggravated assault after attacking a guard in March. Aggravated assault is a class 3 felony, which carries a maximum penalty of 15 years and/or a $15,000 fine. No sentencing date has been set.

Chadwell was sentenced to the penitentiary for an aggravated assault charge out of Pennington County. He was convicted on that charge in 2000.

Chadwell’s prosecution is being handled by the South Dakota Attorney General’s Office.
South Dakota Attorney General

Oops, I copied the the wrong one. I’ve got several prospects going. I’m sorry. When I’m tired I start making a lot of mistakes. I’ll go edit real quick. Thanks for telling me.

No problem :) I keep being paranoid I'm going to bring stuff from a side conversation into the main thread. Have managed to avoid it so far...

Hummel had taken a few Snapchat selfies, posted on a boat dock along the Missouri River just outside of Vermillion. She wanted to show her followers how she was spending her first day of vacation.

That’s something her friends and family will forever cherish about Hummel: her love of documenting her days with photos.

No one else was seen in those last Snapchats, just Hummel showing off a fishing pole. Hummel had mentioned in
a few messages that there were others around, but it’s not known for sure if Hummel went fishing by herself that June 2015 day, Hummel’s good friend Bethany Svacina said.

“What’s unsettling, those people she mentions, did they take her life?” Svacina said in a phone interview in May.
Alicia Hummel: Unsolved murder haunts Clay County Sheriff's Office

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/sd-alicia-hummel-29-found-near-boat-ramp-myron-grove-meckling-1-jun-2015.409869/page-4#post-16787383

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288