TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Shortly after midnight on December 14 his Nissan Altima was found crashed and abandoned in the 2300 block of Salt Flat Road near Luling, about 30 minutes from Texas State University.”

My question is:

Why would Jason have gone onto Salt Flat Road?

Was that the fastest route get from Texas State to his parents’ home?

Or was he screwing around?

“Shortly after midnight on December 14 his Nissan Altima was found crashed and abandoned in the 2300 block of Salt Flat Road near Luling, about 30 minutes from Texas State University.”

My question is:

Why would Jason have gone onto Salt Flat Road?

Was that the fastest route from get Texas State to his parents’ home?

Or was he screwing around?

IMO, that's the big question. Why did Jason detour down this road? Was it his intended route or was it a error.

I'm of the opinion Jason was impaired when he went down that road. That he was in trouble when he left his apartment. The accident happened, he exited the car. Because he was impaired (not sure the cause), a series of events happened and it speaks to his state of mind not being clear, rational. IMO

If you say Jason was driving his own car, how did he happen to be driving on Salt Flat Road?
We can only guess, but it would appear the shutting down of Waze and opening Snapchat meant he was no longer instructed to turn where he should turn so he went straight ahead.
So he comes across Rt 80. Route 80 becomes Austin Street in Lulling. If he missed where 183 turns way from Austin Street, he then stays on Austin Street, which becomes Spruce Avenue and then becomes Salt Flat Road. According to this article, the timing of when Waze went off occurred before the missed turn.
Jason Landry search: More details released in ongoing search for Texas State student

All it takes is one missed turn to put him on the gravel road, IMO.

We can only guess, but it would appear the shutting down of Waze and opening Snapchat meant he was no longer instructed to turn where he should turn so he went straight ahead.
So he comes across Rt 80. Route 80 becomes Austin Street in Lulling. If he missed where 183 turns way from Austin Street, he then stays on Austin Street, which becomes Spruce Avenue and then becomes Salt Flat Road. According to this article, the timing of when Waze went off occurred before the missed turn.
Jason Landry search: More details released in ongoing search for Texas State student

All it takes is one missed turn to put him on the gravel road, IMO.

In the LordanArts interview, this was brought up as a possible reason for him being on that road. Especially since Jason had possibly never driven that route before, it was only his first semester at college. He either had only driven it a few times with friends or had never driven it at all, I forget which was mentioned in the interview.

But either way, he was very unfamiliar with the area, it was the middle of the night in a rural town so street lights weren't abundant, and his navigation app stopped working for whatever reason.

IMO this leads to him missing a turn and then having the accident, possibly bc he was reaching for his phone which had fallen so he could try to get directions again (if there was even service). I don't believe there's any conspiracy to harm Jason, he's not involved in any risky behavior or any dangerous groups (the weed was a small amount according to his dad, who believes he was jsut experimenting like a lot of college kids do). He had an accident, which probably caused an internal head injury which left him conccused and disoriented, he wouldn't be thinking clearly at all. This could explain the weird parts of the accident scene, you just can't think straight with a concussion and possible other head injuries. It's likely he walked away, possibly trying to find help, and succomed to the elements/his injuries. The area is rural, mostly just empty land with lots of trees & brush, there's a few oil wells, and some cattle. Makes sense why he could be missed, it's a huge area to search & no search team is perfect (not criticizing the search at all, they did the best they could imo).

JMHO -
We know the night was cold. So why assume that Jason stripped himself naked?

The crash on the highway did not bloody him. No evidence that the crash physically disabled Jason.

Could he nonetheless have been SO so disoriented post-crash as to leave his phone, leave his vehicle, leave the highway where he might have found help and instead, walk into the dark and unfamiliar woods?

Loco weed? Uh, it doesn’t seem like he had his first experience with weed out on Salt Flat Rd.

Too much speculation, too little evidence.

The only explanation is that poor Jason met his death at the hands of mean, evil people.

Plus - I trust Equissearch.

Jason Landry’s body is not in the vicinity of where they found his car crashed.

[bbm]

yes. that's exactly what happened IMO. search parties miss bodies all.the.time.

Also, SAR tracked and covered where they were legally permitted access.

These are decisions outside of local control, and nothing against JL or those trying to locate and/or recover his remains. -- A decision most likely to limit the (liability) tragedy to one instead of two or more.

MOO

Ok, let's say Jason was in the car and impaired. His clothes found down the road 900 yards. From there, no evidence of him. Two explanations exist in my mind as a reason that he didn't continue on the road walking and was found.
1. Foul play
2. He left the road on his own for some reason, impaired or scared imho.
BUT, the reality is that road would be extremely difficult to walk down without shoes. It is rough terrain. There are large gravel pieces, cactus, stickers and you name it off the side of the road, not including fencing and barbed wire. Even under the most impaired circumstances are we to believe he walked barefoot through all this and found a spot to hide or burrow without being found by SAR yet? I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult for so many to think of foul play in this circumstance. Maybe I need to look up cases of what the impaired body will do.

Why do you think the local LE is not releasing further information? The testing on the marijuana? The update after the search? None of that has been released. Do they care? I have never followed a case where there has been not one press conference, not one update after a search by local LE. Couldn't they come closer to ruling out foul play if they would bring in the FBI and do a cell phone analysis of what phones were in the vicinity of Jason's at the last ping of his? It makes no sense that his phone didn't ping from that intersection if indeed the "last digital footprint" means "ping".

Ok, let's say Jason was in the car and impaired. His clothes found down the road 900 yards. From there, no evidence of him. Two explanations exist in my mind as a reason that he didn't continue on the road walking and was found.
1. Foul play
BUT, the reality is that road would be extremely difficult to walk down without shoes. It is rough terrain. There are large gravel pieces, cactus, stickers and you name it off the side of the road, not including fencing and barbed wire. Even under the most impaired circumstances are we to believe he walked barefoot through all this and found a spot to hide or burrow without being found by SAR yet? I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult for so many to think of foul play in this circumstance. Maybe I need to look up cases of what the impaired body will do.

Why do you think the local LE is not releasing further information? The testing on the marijuana? The update after the search? None of that has been released. Do they care? I have never followed a case where there has been not one press conference, not one update after a search by local LE. Couldn't they come closer to ruling out foul play if they would bring in the FBI and do a cell phone analysis of what phones were in the vicinity of Jason's at the last ping of his? It makes no sense that his phone didn't ping from that intersection if indeed the "last digital footprint" means "ping".

I do believe if you are running on adrenalin or in a altered state of consciousness, you could move without regard to feeling pain or being uncomfortable. Now, I don't think you can do this for a long extended period of time or that you would not feel the pain or need medical attention later over it. I think in Jason's case, this series of events sadly led to his death. I'm open to foul play, but the clothes, belongings and fish lead me away from that. I don't think someone would go to that length to stage a scene or really even think of those details. IMO

I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult for so many to think of foul play in this circumstance. Maybe I need to look up cases of what the impaired body will do.

[Snipped for focus]

The scene of the accident, as described, does not lend itself to thinking a third party was involved. Now, if it was shown the scene could have been altered significantly and cast doubt on LE's conclusions, well that's another story.

Walking such a distance may sound far-fetched. But i find other possibilities even LESS probable - like someone forcing JL to take his clothes off at gunpoint, or that they staged the crash or made it look like an accident.

Just as an example, the clothes weren't just tossed. it was a trail of clothing following a logical path of someone taking the clothing off as they're running. Initial beliefs that the clothing was overlooked as just being normal rubbish on the side were shown to be wrong.

JMO/speculation, as always.

I do believe if you are running on adrenalin or in a altered state of consciousness, you could move without regard to feeling pain or being uncomfortable. Now, I don't think you can do this for a long extended period of time or that you would not feel the pain or need medical attention later over it. I think in Jason's case, this series of events sadly led to his death. I'm open to foul play, but the clothes, belongings and fish lead me away from that. I don't think someone would go to that length to stage a scene or really even think of those details. IMO

I'm just curious, and it's likely already been over, but is it even possible to get hypothermia in 67 minutes in approximately 30 degree weather? It's actually maybe more like 50ish minutes, since it took time to travel to the spot of the crash, and at least a few minutes for him to get everything out of the car.

Sincerely asking @K9Enzo, thought you might know the answer to this. :)

1. Foul play

I think it's just a case of occam's razor for me. LE has specifically said that it was a single vehicle crash and that they have no evidence that anyone else was involved. Beyond that, it's just an incredibly strange way to stage a scene if it was foul play. Why would whoever did it strip Jason naked and leave all his clothes, his shoes, his watch, his pet fish and his backpack in the road? And the fact that all that stuff was in the car to begin with makes me pretty sure that Jason was the one driving to begin with. If someone was covering up a crime that occurred in his dorm room I don't think they'd go to all the trouble of packing all that stuff up and putting it in the car.

Now it's strange either way, but the scene makes more sense to me as a result of Jason being in a confused/disorientated state due to either the accident or some sort of drug reaction or psychotic break preceding the accident.

I'm just curious, and it's likely already been over, but is it even possible to get hypothermia in 67 minutes in approximately 30 degree weather? It's actually maybe more like 50ish minutes, since it took time to travel to the spot of the crash, and at least a few minutes for him to get everything out of the car.

In my opinion. I have always been told hypothermia can happen in the summer months as well. It's that core temp that lowers to a dangerous level. It's more than just the temp outdoors. Example, 50 degrees, but it's windy and wet and you are without shelter or the proper clothing (exposed skin) for a period of time, could cause hypothermia. That would be miserable conditions. After 10 minutes you can start to feel the numbness in your fingertip, toes, etc. Age and medical conditions play a part as well.

I don't think Jason undressed due to fatal hypothermia, however, I think once he ventured off on foot after undressing (IMO) hypothermia is part of his cause of death.

That's why I think he was impaired, not thinking clearly. He had his car, presumably had heat. The car may not have been drivable after the crash, but it was shelter. He had his cell phone, even if he couldn't find it, he had used it recently. He had to know it was in the car, he just needed to find it. Again, his thinking appears to be off. Some have made an argument to a head injury, but I think this would be in addition to a young man that was already in trouble that night when he stepped into his car. IMO

Let's say that the clothes in the road were not the clothes he was wearing. Does that change anyone's thoughts? What if they were just in the backpack and taken out while looking for something else?

What if Jason did crash his car, took out walking down the road and a drunk driver hit him? Or what if he walked up on a house and someone shot him because he was naked and terrified them? I see these as strong possibilities myself and it is just interesting to me we can't rule these out because we have no further info from LE.

I’m no expert on the matter of head injuries or TBIs, but I did find the information on these links interesting.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18649161/

Raised body temperature is a common occurrence after severe traumatic brain injury (TBI). It is widely accepted that experimental evidence points to a harmful effect of raised temperature both during and after TBI.

Guide to Post-Concussion Autonomic Dysfunction | Cognitive FX

Feeling Cold, Hot, or Fevered After a Head Injury | Cognitive FX
The autonomic nervous system regulates a host of involuntary processes throughout your body.
(your heart rate, blood flow, breathing, and physiological threat reaction. It’s in charge of your “fight or flight” reaction.

When your brain is affected by an injury, your ANS is often affected, too.

•••

A brain injury can also affect body temperature regulation (thermoregulation).
Ways a concussion or other head injury can affect thermoregulation:
  • Your hypothalamus functions similarly to a thermostat to regulate your temperature. When you have a traumatic brain injury (TBI), that thermostat can be set wrong, resulting in too high or too low body temperature in response to your environment.
  • Your body may detect temperature problems (even if there aren’t any) and attempt to “fight” the faulty temperature setting with sweating or shivering.
  • Other thermoregulation problems stem from other concussion-related changes. For instance, if you experience an elevated resting heart rate caused by a brain injury, the increased blood flow could also raise your body temperature and make you feel warmer.

1. Foul play

I posted about this a while back in regards to Jamisa Gilbert being found naked, deceased, and so far into a briar thicket they had to use chainsaws to retrieve her body. She was also seen running up and down a road naked on a cam so pain in her feet wasn't stopping her before she burrowed into a thicket.

I can't figure out how to link to the post (#11 of page #4) so pasting it below:

One last comment about Jamisha Gilbert's case vs Jason's... her autopsy report talks about uncommon psychoactive drug effects... paranoid delusions, hallucinations, etc. (1st paragraph of Autopsy report, page 11) and exactly how paradoxical undressing occurs. (3rd paragraph of Autopsy report, same page). Also note the drawings of all the abrasions on her body from burrowing naked into the briar thicket on the page above (10). I had to look up briar thickets and apparently they are made up of thorny plants. I'm sure y'all knew that, but I didn't. I bring this up because what you and I would consider pain... apparently wasn't felt by her, or she wouldn't have been able to run barefoot so far, nor burrow that deep into a briar thicket. Can anyone say OUCH?!??! I know I would have been 'ouch'ing. One little poke and I would have been... 'Nah, not going in there'. :p

I find it highly likely that Jason wasn't feeling much pain either. This might also mean he could have gotten further than they thought, or hidden himself very well.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11e3-9533-0017a43b2370/53596462b5175.pdf.pdf

The temps weren't ~30°, but closer to 40°. I've seen several folks post about that on this site. Can't find it at the moment but found this (so at least it was above freezing. Still really cold, especially if you're nude):

The clothing that was discovered is believed to be what Landry was wearing prior to the collision. Investigators said there is no indication that it was removed under duress or threat. They also noted that, at the time of his disappearance, the temperature could have been anywhere from 36 to 43 degrees.

Phone data reveals final known moments before disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry | kvue.com.

Last edited:
I don't think Jason undressed due to fatal hypothermia, however, I think once he ventured off on foot after undressing (IMO) hypothermia is part of his cause of death.

That's why I think he was impaired, not thinking clearly. He had his car, presumably had heat. The car may not have been drivable after the crash, but it was shelter. He had his cell phone, even if he couldn't find it, he had used it recently. He had to know it was in the car, he just needed to find it. Again, his thinking appears to be off. Some have made an argument to a head injury, but I think this would be in addition to a young man that was already in trouble that night when he stepped into his car. IMO

I agree.
Your theory is very plausible and well explained.

(IMO)
I believe Jason was impaired (not thinking clearly); I honestly don’t know if I’m leaning more toward the impairment due to a head injury or a substance of some sort.
I too believe if Jason was impaired in some way, it would explain certain behaviors/actions.
A few of those being:
•not staying near his car
•leaving his phone
•taking some of his belongings from the car with him, to just drop or leave them down the road
•undressing
•not staying on the road or finding a house

I agree.
Your theory is very plausible and well explained.

(IMO)
I believe Jason was impaired (not thinking clearly); I honestly don’t know if I’m leaning more toward the impairment due to a head injury or a substance of some sort.
I too believe if Jason was impaired in some way, it would explain certain behaviors/actions.
A few of those being:
•not staying near his car
•leaving his phone
•taking some of his belongings from the car with him, to just drop or leave them down the road
•undressing
•not staying on the road or finding a house

Unfortunately -- I believe that undressing may have added to not locating JL. If not deep inside a culvert, I'm afraid JL's exposed body easily blended in with the environment. We also know that searchers depended largely on drones.

In the LordanArts interview, this was brought up as a possible reason for him being on that road. Especially since Jason had possibly never driven that route before, it was only his first semester at college. He either had only driven it a few times with friends or had never driven it at all, I forget which was mentioned in the interview.

But either way, he was very unfamiliar with the area, it was the middle of the night in a rural town so street lights weren't abundant, and his navigation app stopped working for whatever reason.

IMO this leads to him missing a turn and then having the accident, possibly bc he was reaching for his phone which had fallen so he could try to get directions again (if there was even service). I don't believe there's any conspiracy to harm Jason, he's not involved in any risky behavior or any dangerous groups (the weed was a small amount according to his dad, who believes he was jsut experimenting like a lot of college kids do). He had an accident, which probably caused an internal head injury which left him conccused and disoriented, he wouldn't be thinking clearly at all. This could explain the weird parts of the accident scene, you just can't think straight with a concussion and possible other head injuries. It's likely he walked away, possibly trying to find help, and succomed to the elements/his injuries. The area is rural, mostly just empty land with lots of trees & brush, there's a few oil wells, and some cattle. Makes sense why he could be missed, it's a huge area to search & no search team is perfect (not criticizing the search at all, they did the best they could imo).

I think you nailed it!

Hope he's soon found so his family can have some peace.

He had gone home for Thanksgiving so he had driven home before. I can see how he could maybe miss the turn if distracted, but that doesn’t explain why he drove so far down an obviously wrong, dark road into the country, turning into gravel. I think he would have turned around miles before he wrecked. I think he was impaired in some way before he ever got to the turn. The only other explanations that make sense to me is if he meant to be on that road or some one chased him that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288