Deceased/Not Found NY - Saniyya Dennis, 19, SUNY College Student, Buffalo, 24 Apr 2021

All IMO: I feel we are not walking in her family's shoes and therefore should simply offer them positive thoughts.

It's important that we don't let recent cases that have some similarities influence our thoughts about this one.

Rooting for Saniyya.

All IMO: I feel we are not walking in her family's shoes and therefore should simply offer them positive thoughts.

It's important that we don't let recent cases that have some similarities influence our thoughts about this one.

Rooting for Saniyya.

I do agree @ChatteringBirds. It's difficult not to compare when there are so many young college students going missing. I do think it's human nature, and part of why we are all here at Websleuths: to compare these cases and try to find any similarities vs. differences in them, in an attempt to make them make sense.

As a mom, I hope to never, ever, ever be in the position Saniyya's parents are in, and my heart sincerely goes out to them, and to Saniyya as well. I'm checking in here hourly hoping for some positive news! I hope today is that day.

I went searching last night, mainly to take a pic of the exact spot she did that night and then to walk for as long as she could have between the pic and the phones last ping. I found a few things that I called in and the parks police came and took some of them and left some others. It was very frustrating. I really hope she’s in Hudson valley alive and well but, with as little as LE can disclose, it’s getting even more confusing as each hour passes.

I have played out many scenarios in my head. I do not believe she was suicidal. I am also beginning to waver on foul play as there has been nothing solid about it. I have heard a few names but I have not seen family or friends stating anything about those individuals. From previous posts shes enjoys going to NF. Maybe it is a place she went to to relax, take a break and unwind for a few hours. I know there would be no return busses but there are lyft and ubers. Maybe she dropped her phone and lipped in trying to retrieve it.

I am hoping, and at this point still leaning to Saniyya having become emotionally overwhelmed with pressure from her engineering studies and TWO jobs. She may be an over achiever and has high expectations of herself. We don't know if her parents have certain expectations of her too, but that too can add to the pressure.

It worries me that she has not contacted family, but it's possible that she might feel shame or fear of disappointing them, if for example she is reconsidering her future profession. As a sophomore, 2nd year engineering can be the year things get tough compared to the first year introductory courses.
It makes me think of a classmate of my daughter, who was pushed into medicine, which he really didn't want to do....and he fell apart in his second year.

If NF is a special place for Saniyya, maybe she went there to find some comfort or inner guidance, and from there she decided to go east to Westchester, Yonkers or wherever that was also familiar to her...I dunno.
All speculation.

Hoping for the best for this lovely young woman.

I am hoping, and at this point still leaning to Saniyya having become emotionally overwhelmed with pressure from her engineering studies and TWO jobs. She may be an over achiever and has high expectations of herself. We don't know if her parents have certain expectations of her too, but that too can add to the pressure.

It worries me that she has not contacted family, but it's possible that she might feel shame of fear of disappointing them, if for example she is reconsidering her future profession. As a sophomore, 2nd year engineering can be the year things get tough compared to the first year introductory courses.
It makes me think of a classmate of my daughter, who was pushed into medicine, which he really didn't want to do....and he fell apart in his second year.

If NF is a special place for Saniyya, maybe she went there to find some comfort or inner guidance, and from there she decided to go east to Westchester, Yonkers or wherever that was also familiar to her...I dunno.
All speculation.

Hoping for the best for this lovely young woman.

From everything I have seen , heard and read her family was supportive. They would have accepted she needed a break. They don't come across as over bearing high strung parents.

From everything I have seen , heard and read her family was supportive. They would have accepted she needed a break. They don't come across as over bearing high strung parents.
I agree. That's impression I get too. She has a loving place to go home to. I'm pulling for Saniyya and my heart is with all of them.

Thank you for the clarification on the rules. I’ll go through these comments when I have a moment and attempt to address the things that have since been disproven.

Last edited:
Nothing new to date, just update from SUNY Buffalo State on resources available to students.

It's good to keep in mind that in Erie County, NY where Buffalo is located there are still high rates of COVID. Many of the SUNY classes are via Zoom or online and the article mentions Zoom counseling.

As search continues for missing student, Buffalo State offers support

As search continues for missing student, Buffalo State offers support

Posted on May 1st:

This is one of the last known texts between her and a friend. Note time stamps. Phone stopped pinging on Goat Island at 1:23am Sunday. Nothing since.
@wkbw
#saniyyadennis

https://twitter.com/HannahBuehler/status/1388273724818870276 (reporter)

Saniyya's replies are in black. The last one is from 12:52am Sunday.

E0QjmADWYAQoHln

E0QjmABXoAE5e_1
This text exchange is extremely suspicious imo, and I am doubting Saniyya actually was the author. If i understand correctly, this exchange also immediately follows a suspect message received by her mom at 12:21am or so? So there's supposedly this "friend" of Saniyyas back at the dorms who is in need of allergy meds bad enough to text her at nearly 12:30 in the morning. Even going so far as to use the separate initial "hey" message with a follow-up message as if they were certain that Saniyaa was awake. Let's just say it sounds a bit confident that they would receive an answer. Saniyya, although awake and alert, takes nearly a half hour to reply, and when she does so she begins with OMG? Is this an attempt to add some personalization to Saniyya's texting style, or is there a genuine disappointment, surprise, or disbelief to understand here? After informing this "friend" that she isn't at the dormitory, the "friend" now dismisses what can be assumed as an earlier urgent need for some meds with "that's okay." Wondering when can they get these meds, the "friend" for whatever reason assumes Saniyya wont be returning in say...a half hour or so, but instead asks if she will be at the dorm at all tomorrow. From how Saniyya is described, she wasn't the here one minute, gone the next type. A "friend" back at the dorms would likely know that. So...this "friend" gets a confirmation from Saniyya that she should be expected back at the dorms, but that isn't good enough. A specific time is then requested, presumably to get the medication from her, which the "friend" cant seem to decide on it's urgency. Regardless, the time question is odd to say the least. Add the fact that they have not indicated they know who this "friend" is, and it rings of a suspect utilizing a burner phone to impersonate Ms. Dennis by texting her mom, and establishing her well-being for whatever reason during this odd interaction about meds. All just my opinion....

I can’t help but think of Mackenzie Lueck here, but not so much Kori Gauthier. Seems like a good kid. Glad the family is so involved! Maybe she just went to clear her head and accidentally fell? Are there any surveillance images from business?

If she was in fact ON Goat Island a camera picked her up crossing onto it. If she was concealed in an unknown vehicle or had a hood up or something like that it would prob be very hard to find her. There are cameras at the falls yes...all over...but to say with 100% certainty they would have captured her if she went in is impossible. You would be surprised how many people go over each year without it being known. The upper part of the park and Theee Sisters Island is where the water appears to be calm but is not and it is much less populated than the part where the falls are visible. And at this time of night, if you really were determined, it would be very easy to avoid the cameras once on the island
I tend to agree with an earlier comment that asserts Saniyya is most likely very street smart and most likely made the trip to meet up with someone. While there are several instances of a suicidal person managing to not give off any indications of their intent, I can't accept one who is moments away from taking their own life, still promising return phone calls (to mom), and allergy pill relief the following day, to those who care about her the most. Imo

Community members continue search for missing Buffalo State student Saniyya Dennis | wgrz.com

May 5
On Wednesday community members continued to search for Saniyya Dennis, a 19-year-old Buffalo State College student. She was last seen leaving her residence hall on Saturday, April 24.

The search was focused around Goat Island in Niagara Falls. Investigators have said that's where Dennis' phone was last pinged.

There have also been several questions over footage of Dennis at the NFTA bus terminal downtown from the night she went missing that has yet to be released.

A spokesperson with the NFTA released the following statement on the matter:

"First and foremost, the NFTA shares the community’s concern for the health and well-being of Saniyya Dennis. Our detectives worked diligently to recover requested video for the lead agency in this case, and provided that evidence to authorities as soon as it was discovered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back