Josh Duggar charged with Receipt/Possession Child Sexual Abuse Material, 29 April 2021 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can appreciate (not necessarily condone) why they didn’t immediately involve the police: this is their son, after all. Would I have my own child arrested? Right or wrong, I don’t know. I’ve heard nothing about therapy for the VICTIMS, which speaks volumes to me - just that the parents installed bedroom locks and forbid lap-sitting for opposite genders. We’re not entitled to know about the victims’ health records but...

I can see a situation where a member of an insular community is ferried out of the country because the community believes that escape is justified according to their own laws. I don’t really see that happening here but JMO. If he’s eventually convicted, my guess is that the sentence will be viewed by the family as a sort of divine plan - there’s a captive audience of potential converts in prison.

Goodness, I’m sounding like a real Duggar fan! I’m not. I like to think of Israeli PM Golda Meir in cases like this: there was an effort - in the face of a rash of rapes in the 70s - to prohibit women from being outside at night. Her suggestion that MEN - as the ones doing the raping - be the subject of the curfew wasn’t exactly popular! Golda Meir | Jewish Women's Archive

No. You’re not sounding like a fan. These things are complex. It’s never that black and white. But it does appear that they focused on hiding the scandal rather than protecting and helping their daughters OR truly helping their son.

The girls were no longer allowed to sleep in night clothes but had to sleep in their street clothes.

edited to bring my question/statement from the middle of the quote

RSBM

Do you have a source I can read regarding not being allowed to sleep in pajamas? I have never heard this and am curious. What I have read indicated the touching occurred over the clothes. (Still not ok.) But, I wonder how making the girls sleep in everyday clothes would help. I could see them implement a rule of not coming out of the bedroom in pajamas...

RSBM

Do you have a source I can read regarding not being allowed to sleep in pajamas? I have never heard this and am curious. What I have read indicated the touching occurred over the clothes. (Still not ok.) But, I wonder how making the girls sleep in everyday clothes would help. I could see them implement a rule of not coming out of the bedroom in pajamas...

There’s a lot of magical thinking in this extended household.

RSBM

I believe it is wholly untrue that he "just" touched them over their clothes. That's what his parents stated, and that he was just "curious". The police report indicates a pattern of predatory behavior that lasted at least a year, occurred when they were awake and asleep and while they were sitting on his lap, or cornered in the pantry.

I read the updates on the Sun website and I feel so sick to my stomach. There is a reason I have never followed these kind of crimes. I feel like crying. This man had access to so many kids. It seems his wife wont leave him. Makes me want to die knowing there's such evil in this world.

Special Agent Gerald Faulkner from Homeland Security was the first to take the stand at the hearing, as he was questioned by the prosecutor.

He said: “In May of 2019, [an Arkansas police officer] identified a computer participating in the known sharing of photos and videos of child *advertiser censored*.”

He claimed Josh had one two-minute video on his computer of two underage females and a male who performed sexual acts on the children.

Also found were 65 images of a female “consistent with child *advertiser censored*.”

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/2828786/josh-duggar-child-*advertiser censored*-court-hearing/

Special Agent Gerald Faulkner from Homeland Security was the first to take the stand at the hearing, as he was questioned by the prosecutor.

He said: “In May of 2019, [an Arkansas police officer] identified a computer participating in the known sharing of photos and videos of child *advertiser censored*.”

He claimed Josh had one two-minute video on his computer of two underage females and a male who performed sexual acts on the children.

Also found were 65 images of a female “consistent with child *advertiser censored*.”

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/2828786/josh-duggar-child-*advertiser censored*-court-hearing/

Ugh. Age range is the same as the kids he molested. I so hope his kids weren't abused.

I always find it fascinating to try to figure out in a family, raised as strictly as Josh Duggar appeared to be, why did he turn out to be a "Bad Seed"? It seems like his siblings are all living normal lives. His brother, John David, did not molest his siblings, go crazy with internet dating, seeking strippers, and getting in trouble with Department of Homeland Security.

What made Josh stray from the path?
I've been following the Duggar psychology since 2004 and have often wondered about this myself.
It is publicly known, and used by the family as justification for their quiverfull lifestyle, that after Josh was born Michelle went back on birth control, got pregnant anyway and lost the baby. After bad advice from a doctor blaming this loss on the birth control, the new Gothard-adhering procreation focus began. They believe God validated this choice by blessing them with the twins J.D. and Jana next.

I've often wondered if a young Josh, hearing this quite celebrated story of victory over sin as evidenced by all the children *except* him, may have internalized somehow a sinister suspicion that he himself was "bad," "born in sin" or otherwise burdened by a more difficult path to righteousness simply by having been the only child born before the family's redemption. At the very least, I would assume he noticed that one difference that separated him from alllll those other kids. Maybe he felt like a black sheep before he ever became one, and maybe he gave up trying to overcome hurdles of "sin" that only he faced.

Just my thoughts, moo, etc. And certainly not in any way trying to minimize how evil and predatory he truly has been. Just saying that anything which a child perceives as a favoritism toward their siblings, however unfounded or nonexistent, may cause them to act out in so many different ways. For attention, to lash out against perceived injustice, or even just to test their acceptance by the family. As an oldest child myself, I know that that status is in itself quite difficult. So much pressure and so much riding on your every action.
He could be simply "born bad," but I do feel some measure of these dynamics is at play early in his life, especially given the over-the-top and in-your-face distinctions drawn between the family "sins" during Josh's infancy and the subsequent "blessed" sanctity of everything after Josh.

Also, though he may have been quite young, he is the only Duggar child who might remember a less-restrictive time, a time before "buddies," a time when his parents were mainstream enough to use birth control, a time when he actually had the attention and love of both of them. Sadly, another unconscious contrast, perhaps, in his mind. What he lost....perhaps he became perverted in his obsession with regaining it. Who knows. Just my thoughts.

I’m still learning a lot about the court system. If he had 65 photos and 1 video, how does that equate to 1 charge of downloading and 1 charge of possession? In my mind that’s 66 counts of possession. Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure it out.

A couple things...

One I am a firm believer in our judicial system and innocent until proven guilty. Two, I’m not going to violate TOS and discuss information from non approved sources. Three if what I am reading elsewhere is correct, it makes me completely nauseous.

Special Agent Gerald Faulkner from Homeland Security was the first to take the stand at the hearing, as he was questioned by the prosecutor.<snip>

I think they've been updating this as they live blog. It's highly disturbing.

Content Warning: Discussion of Child Sexual Assault Images
-
-
-

The Sun said:
The agent mentioned how downloads from a specific file were made. The agent said the file “is in the top five worst I have ever had to examine,” as it includes children as young at 18 months old.

I read the updates on the Sun website and I feel so sick to my stomach. There is a reason I have never followed these kind of crimes. I feel like crying. This man had access to so many kids. It seems his wife wont leave him. Makes me want to die knowing there's such evil in this world.

Yes. I just keep sighing with a depressed feeling. It’s awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong