Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I also disagree with sealed affidavits here. Once you charge someone, not only does the defendant get to see what the facts are, but the public should too. It will all have to be laid out at trial anyway. Unless there is some really good investigative reason I really don’t know about this. BM is lawyering up so it’s not like they are going to withhold evidence and catch him in any more lies. And they soecificallly said no other arrests were coming, so I don’t suspect there are others (accomplices after the fact etc) that might do anything with the information in the affidavits. I also don’t think they should keep saying it’s an ongoing investigation (except as to the whereabouts of Suzanne of course) as I feel like that weakens the case a bit, and sealing affidavits presents the idea that they don’t feel like they are substantial enough. Idk. Maybe I’m wrong. MOO.

I think it's the opposite - there's so much in the affadavit that even if the judge goes to open it, the defense attorney will likely object to parts of it (and that's his/her job to do that).

I think it is only ethical for the opposing attorney (the prosecution) to allow that process to take place. The defense should get to see the affadavit before we do, and the judge needs to rule on whether some parts need to be redacted (for example, names and addresses, just as one set of things, especially as regarding potential witnesses).

Once the defense and the prosecution speak with the judge, and the judge has his/her questions answered, then it's likely it will be available to the public. But we shouldn't see it before the defendant's attorney has a chance to discuss it with the court.

They arrested him when they knew he was alone.

We don't know if he lived with roommates. Had they arrested him at his home or the gym, others might have inadvertently gotten hurt.

JMO, MOO, etc
Wonder why they let people get in cars/trucks. What if he just bolted. Then you put other people at risk. Not a LE expert tho so maybe there’s some reason.

They just don’t make men like Sherrif Speeze anymore. Puts his head down, doesn’t need the spot light, does his job, and honors every promise he made while serving a higher cause.

Impressive to say the least.
DITTO !!
I have been impressed with him since the first presser at the beginning.
He has not disappointed me at all.
This is my first time hearing/watching the new DA and I felt pretty positive about her also.

I think it's the opposite - there's so much in the affadavit that even if the judge goes to open it, the defense attorney will likely object to parts of it (and that's his/her job to do that).

I think it is only ethical for the opposing attorney (the prosecution) to allow that process to take place. The defense should get to see the affadavit before we do, and the judge needs to rule on whether some parts need to be redacted (for example, names and addresses, just as one set of things, especially as regarding potential witnesses).

Once the defense and the prosecution speak with the judge, and the judge has his/her questions answered, then it's likely it will be available to the public. But we shouldn't see it before the defendant's attorney has a chance to discuss it with the court.
Good points. Makes sense.

Agreed. IMO, this was a strategic move to arrest him in public, alone, and unaware. It probably reduced the risk of injury to LE, others that could be in the home with him & Barry himself. I liked it. Wise move. IMO
Ita.
Plus, I think LE have been keeping an eye on him for a long time.
It's possible they thought he might return to her remains as well ?
Imo.

I guess you and I have different definitions of "frenzy." But yeah, we should all be applauding for the hard work of the police in this case. The DA hardly went overboard in praising the more than 100 people who spent nearly a year working on it.

It isn't easy to work on murder cases.
Well said x

Hope that it was worth it, Barry...Now, you'll be spending all of that blood money on lawyers. Poetic justice.

JMO.
Barry is cheap. That’s why men kill a faithful wife. They can’t bear to cough up the loot it will cost for a divorce and settlement.
Can he bring himself to spend what it will cost to get the kind of legal representation he’s going to need now?
What will he google first: Salida’s Best Criminal Lawyer or Salida’s Cheapest?
Also: I am betting he’s got to go local.

Last edited:
Sorry, might’ve been already said, I’m slowly catching up on the 20+ new pages. This likely isn’t a popular opinion but I thought the DA’s comment about how investigators kept going after being “second guessed” and having their “skills questioned” was interesting. I do recall some of the outrage public sent by way to the Sheriff’s social media pages, especially after some livestreams with her brother the the guys of the then PE YouTube channel, and how one of them seemed to repeatedly push the idea of how crazy and bad and unprofessional it was that Andy was at a potential place to search and they didn’t secure that area for hours and hours (and the tension that seemed palpable on their video and ultimately them parting ways on their channel awhile after, always found that interesting since it seemed clear to me that those remarks were a big difference of opinion between them but anyway, not the point of my comment now....)

I thought the DA’s comment was interesting because I feel like we’ve seen a lot of this in multiple cases, a kind of “us vs. them” mindset with the public and law enforcement and how sometimes public is frustrated why there hasn’t been arrests made yet or why it seems like they’re ignoring the “obvious” culprit of a crime, etc and etc. And I think those types of views, and the people who voice them, are only amplified in this age of 24 hours news cycles and social media. When she made that remark I couldn’t help but think of some of the comments I remember people making on their social media channels, about how the Sheriff was letting a killer get away with things and just some pretty intense remarks (people were understandably upset) but that mentality, especially if and when it comes in large volumes on social media, I don’t think helps any case and the pursuit of justice. I think it furthers this divide between the public and law enforcement and, I don’t know where I’m ending with this comment (so thanks if you’re still reading this!), ultimately hurts an already damaged relationship that deserves to be repaired. I can see both sides of it - being in the public and frustrated if you feel not enough is being done and the LE side of things where you know much more than the public but just cannot say and how that can often appear like you’re not doing “enough”. Her remark made me a bit disappointed and just reminded me of other cases (like in Daybell/Vallow people rightfully very angry at Gilbert Police and the death “investigation” of JR, and those who are angry that they “didn’t do anything”, which even if it’s the entire truth, I don’t think large scale public backlash and criticism helps push the police in a direction towards what the public ultimately wants). It’s disappointing but I see both sides, and I can see how it seeped into this case from the perspective of the DA and law enforcement.

I hope going forward public perception of them and their past actions will be shown to have been thorough, extensive, and that they were always trying to find Suzanne and when they couldn’t or didn’t, they focused on seeking justice for her murder. Of course we will hear more in the coming days and weeks and months. JMHO, hope it was ok to share.

Ita.
Plus, I think LE have been keeping an eye on him for a long time.
It's possible they thought he might return to her remains as well ?
Imo.

I really don’t think LE had eyes on him constantly. Maybe at certain points of the investigation they did. My feeling is, however and wherever he disposed of SM’s body, I don’t think he ever looked back. That’s just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ann-Margrock