Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video: See the moment Barry Morphew was arrested | FOX31 Denver

"Morphew was arrested around 9:15 a.m. on Wednesday, May 5 near his home in Poncha Springs. FOX31 News has obtained video of the arrest, which shows his truck stopped on the side of the road near several police vehicles. He can be seen standing just off the road with an officer."

(Sorry, I can't seem to embed the video but you can watch it at this link)
Whaoh.. that went by way too fast for me LOL
I saw 2 people standing so figured one must be BM but hard to tell for certain.

Nice bleach/dye job...where’d ya get that? Scott Peterson?

(Dbm)

I thought the same. In BM's case though it looks like classic mid-life crisis spiral, complete with trendy hair cut, obvious over-use of tanning beds and t-shirts a size too small.

The expression on his face says "prove it" for sure.

I feel so sorry for Suzanne, and now the daughters. :(

Well, would anyone have thought today was a good day for Barry to go to jail for premeditated murder charges!
They know how it happened, or possess some knowledge re her death, but they do not exactly what he did with her precious body.
Cheers to Justice for Suzanne!

I agree.
When folk around me are horrid, I think of this line.

In murder cases, it is so pleasing to see Guilty, with all the evidence laid out.
Cannot wait, until we hear, what evidence will be presented.
Guess, all the selling of properties by BM, will pay for his defence.
Hope he ends up, 'dirt poor', as his greed has caught up to him.
MOO.

I wonder what changed between say, December 2020 and April 2021 when they convened a grand jury and got an indictment. Like what tipped the scales. Agh wish I could see those affidavits. Hopefully soon even if redacted!
A new DA certainly didn't hurt. I'm sure she took a thorough look at all of the evidence they already had. A fresh set of eyes can sometimes spot new things.

I missed the part about the Grand Jury.

ETA - We also don't know when the bribery attempt occurred, it may have been recent.

Last edited:
Sorry, might’ve been already said, I’m slowly catching up on the 20+ new pages. This likely isn’t a popular opinion but I thought the DA’s comment about how investigators kept going after being “second guessed” and having their “skills questioned” was interesting. I do recall some of the outrage public sent by way to the Sheriff’s social media pages, especially after some livestreams with her brother the the guys of the then PE YouTube channel, and how one of them seemed to repeatedly push the idea of how crazy and bad and unprofessional it was that Andy was at a potential place to search and they didn’t secure that area for hours and hours (and the tension that seemed palpable on their video and ultimately them parting ways on their channel awhile after, always found that interesting since it seemed clear to me that those remarks were a big difference of opinion between them but anyway, not the point of my comment now....)

I thought the DA’s comment was interesting because I feel like we’ve seen a lot of this in multiple cases, a kind of “us vs. them” mindset with the public and law enforcement and how sometimes public is frustrated why there hasn’t been arrests made yet or why it seems like they’re ignoring the “obvious” culprit of a crime, etc and etc. And I think those types of views, and the people who voice them, are only amplified in this age of 24 hours news cycles and social media. When she made that remark I couldn’t help but think of some of the comments I remember people making on their social media channels, about how the Sheriff was letting a killer get away with things and just some pretty intense remarks (people were understandably upset) but that mentality, especially if and when it comes in large volumes on social media, I don’t think helps any case and the pursuit of justice. I think it furthers this divide between the public and law enforcement and, I don’t know where I’m ending with this comment (so thanks if you’re still reading this!), ultimately hurts an already damaged relationship that deserves to be repaired. I can see both sides of it - being in the public and frustrated if you feel not enough is being done and the LE side of things where you know much more than the public but just cannot say and how that can often appear like you’re not doing “enough”. Her remark made me a bit disappointed and just reminded me of other cases (like in Daybell/Vallow people rightfully very angry at Gilbert Police and the death “investigation” of JR, and those who are angry that they “didn’t do anything”, which even if it’s the entire truth, I don’t think large scale public backlash and criticism helps push the police in a direction towards what the public ultimately wants). It’s disappointing but I see both sides, and I can see how it seeped into this case from the perspective of the DA and law enforcement.

I hope going forward public perception of them and their past actions will be shown to have been thorough, extensive, and that they were always trying to find Suzanne and when they couldn’t or didn’t, they focused on seeking justice for her murder. Of course we will hear more in the coming days and weeks and months. JMHO, hope it was ok to share.

I made a note of the DA’s comments there as well. She can only speak to who/what she was referring to. I stand behind my opinion that a particular YouTuber was damaging to this case, specifically during Andy’s search. It was very much a strong active investigation and there was interference from a particular host, even threatening to arrest another officer because they weren’t doing what HE thought they should do. It was shocking to me what played out and it was sad because a victim’s family member was in the middle of it. Some social media platforms are large and can be damaging. That’s my unpopular opinion

Wonder why they let people get in cars/trucks. What if he just bolted. Then you put other people at risk. Not a LE expert tho so maybe there’s some reason.
I wonder if it was for the daughters sake- I don’t know if she was still- but Lauren Scharf had said a daughter was living with him in an interview last year.

Mugshot
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1390063252097290245?s=21
View attachment 295959
ETA:
“MUGSHOT of Barry Morphew. He will have his first appearance tomorrow morning at 10:30 a.m. Suzanne’s body has NOT been recovered. The investigation is still ongoing despite this arrest and no one else has been arrested, according to DA Linda Stanley. @FOX21News
3:58 PM · May 5, 2021·Twitter for iPhone (local time)

Ooh, don't he look purty. So manly with his hairy face. Where's Bruce McArthur when you need him?

I have a funny feeling that BM will fold like a cheap suit to get a lesser charge. Spezze just burst his bubble of feeling invincible.

Any press conference on the arrest of BM for the murder of SM is a good press conference, regardless of how your dressed. I would have been equally ecstatic with, yep we arrested him, yep we have enough to make the case stick, thanks and put on your seat belt, its gonna be a good ride.

I wonder what changed between say, December 2020 and April 2021 when they convened a grand jury and got an indictment. Like what tipped the scales. Agh wish I could see those affidavits. Hopefully soon even if redacted!
I don’t remember anything about a grand jury. I heard Sheriff Spezze presented the case to the DA in mid April, she and her team studied the case and decided to file the charges. I don’t honestly think a grand jury was involved in this case. They are seldom used in criminal cases in Colorado. Iirc, @MassGuy posted an article way back regarding the lack of frequency grand juries are used in CO.

A new DA certainly didn't hurt. I'm sure she took a thorough look at all of the evidence they already had. A fresh set of eyes can sometimes spot new things.

I missed the part about the Grand Jury.
OP quoted must be on the wrong thread. The majority of criminal cases are created in the Colorado state criminal courts by the filing of a criminal complaint and information process. GJ indictments are rare.

Last edited:

MOO, they either:

1. Got new evidence (obviously)

or

2. They had the case baked in October but the outgoing DA didn’t want to take it and the new DA needed time for due diligence on all of the investigation before seeking charges.

of course, it could have been a combination of the 2 as well. I lean towards #2.

Any press conference on the arrest of BM for the murder of SM is a good press conference, regardless of how your dressed. I would have been equally ecstatic with, yep we arrested him, yep we have enough to make the case stick, thanks and put on your seat belt, its gonna be a good ride.

This!
It’s a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads