Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify, in order to arrest someone, you need probable cause that a crime was committed. LE can draft a probable cause affidavit and go to a judge who signs off on an arrest warrant. That was issued here and subsequently sealed.

The DA then filed 3 charges which are listed on the public docket. It doesn’t look like there was a grand jury. Rather, the DA just filed the charges. Once he is arraigned his attorney can challenge whatever was filed (depending on the state law and local practice) but usually the cases move forward either to plea negotiations or to trial.

Well, would anyone have thought today was a good day for Barry to go to jail for premeditated murder charges!
They know how it happened, or possess some knowledge re her death, but they do not exactly what he did with her precious body.
Cheers to Justice for Suzanne!
Agreed. I think they know how it happened.
MOO.

Whew, finally caught up.

I'd like to raise a glass to the 70 different investigators across DOZENS of law enforcement agencies that Spezze mentioned in the presser today. All working hard to bring justice to Suzanne and her family, for almost a year.

My hat is off to each and every one of you.

So you think the DA should now blow the whole case by polluting the jury?

Why do you think she should have told us the details at this point in time?

Why would any competent prosecutor risk that - for what reason? Because people on the internet want to know? We do not have the right to know - but the Court does.
Agreed, 10ofRods.
LE have one bite of the apple.
They have to have enough evidence that they're confident of their case and the charges being brought against Barry.
Today is a good day for justice !

I feel great satisfaction knowing that BM is now going to be sitting in a drab concrete cell, instead of roaming about in those beautiful Colorado mountains, and going on dates with pretty redheads.

Suzanne was a beautiful soul, and overcame such difficult times with her health.....what a monster to kill her.

BBM
Yes a monster!
And now everyone knows.

MOO

I thought the same. In BM's case though it looks like classic mid-life crisis spiral, complete with trendy hair cut, obvious over-use of tanning beds and t-shirts a size too small.

The expression on his face says "prove it" for sure.

I feel so sorry for Suzanne, and now the daughters. :(
That's what I see too.
The arrogance and sense of entitlement he wears.

I don’t remember anything about a grand jury. I heard Sheriff Spezze presented the case to the DA in mid April, she and her team studied the case and decided to file the charges. I don’t honestly think a grand jury was involved in this case. They are seldom used in criminal cases in Colorado. Iirc, @MassGuy posted an article way back regarding the lack of frequency grand juries are used in CO.
In listening to the presser the second time the DA said she came on board in January and talks began. They filled her in on the case as they knew it. Did not become official until April and came to fruition in May.
Only my take. Could have misread it and JMO.

CO Courts
@CoCourts

1/2 - Advisement 5/6 in People v. Morphew: Very limited courtroom seating - only media likely to be allowed inside is videographer if EMC is granted. Webex link: https://courts.state.co.us/Courts/District/Custom.cfm?District_ID=11&Page_ID=1009…. Judge will discuss EMC at the outset.

3:33 PM · May 5, 2021·TweetDeck

CO Courts
@CoCourts

2/2 - Advisement 5/6 in People v. Morphew: Judge to discuss EMC at the outset of the hearing. As the first applicant, KUSA-TV should be ready to set up quickly if EMC is granted. No live tweeting or any other communications allowed from the courtroom.

3:34 PM · May 5, 2021·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/CoCourts

Per Colorado Law - there are only two types of hearings when cameras are typically allowed inside the courtroom: advisement and arraignment hearings.

If the court approves expanded news media coverage for Barry's advisement - the hearing will probably be streamed live.

Otherwise - we should expect another trial by Twitter where reporters are allowed to tweet from outside the courtroom only -- when the court in recess or hearing ended.

Rule 3 - Media Coverage of Court Proceedings, Colo. Pub. Acc. Info. & Rec. 3 | Casetext Search + Citator

I don’t remember anything about a grand jury. I heard Sheriff Spezze presented the case to the DA in mid April, she and her team studied the case and decided to file the charges. I don’t honestly think a grand jury was involved in this case. They are seldom used in criminal cases in Colorado. Iirc, @MassGuy posted an article way back regarding the lack of frequency grand juries are used in CO.
Chris said they brought the case to a Grand Jury on his live feed while covering today’s arrest:

Last edited:
In listening to the presser the second time the DA said she came on board in January and talks began. They filled her in on the case as they knew it. Did not become official until April and came to fruition in May.
Only my take. Could have misread it and JMO.

I thought I heard the same thing. Hopefully it was with her counsel that helped LE get what was needed to build confidence in the case. I felt their was no doubt in it being a true team effort by all departments that were their, and those that were not present. Will be interesting to hear what the CBI input was.

Agreed, 10ofRods.
LE have one bite of the apple.
They have to have enough evidence that they're confident of their case and the charges being brought against Barry.
Today is a good day for justice !
Agree
I know we all always want to know what LE knows but after following many cases here, I now know that patience is the best virtue and it always wins out.
I learned, while being here in WS the reason WHY we arent told and I have learned to be patient and well, I've learned a lot of things on here following cases and trials.
So we wait while BM waits in Jail.

Barry is cheap. That’s why men kill a faithful wife. They can’t bear to cough up the loot it will cost for a divorce and settlement.
Can he bring himself to spend what it will cost to get the kind of legal representation he’s going to need now?
What will he google first: Salida’s Best Criminal Lawyer or Salida’s Cheapest?
Also: I am betting he’s got to go local.
I personally feel that he has been talking to a lawyer for a while and has sold all of Suzanne's and his assets just in case he was arrested.

I heard Chris say on CourtTV that he drove by Barry's house and all of his windows were opened as if he were keeping surveillance. Chris also said that he had a truck outside as if he were getting ready to move.

I wonder what changed between say, December 2020 and April 2021 when they convened a grand jury and got an indictment. Like what tipped the scales. Agh wish I could see those affidavits. Hopefully soon even if redacted!
Just to clarify, in order to arrest someone, you need probable cause that a crime was committed. LE can draft a probable cause affidavit and go to a judge who signs off on an arrest warrant. That was issued here and subsequently sealed.

The DA then filed 3 charges which are listed on the public docket. It doesn’t look like there was a grand jury. Rather, the DA just filed the charges. Once he is arraigned his attorney can challenge whatever was filed (depending on the state law and local practice) but usually the cases move forward either to plea negotiations or to trial.

To be clear - criminal cases are created in Colorado courts by the filing of a Criminal Complaint and information process.

(Grand Jury Indictments are rare)...

So you think the DA should now blow the whole case by polluting the jury?

Why do you think she should have told us the details at this point in time?

Why would any competent prosecutor risk that - for what reason? Because people on the internet want to know? We do not have the right to know - but the Court does.
I agree. Plus, I was thinking that the DA doesn't want to give the defense attorney any reason to ask for a change of venue for the trial.

@Seattle1 Hi, I believe you confirmed Suzanne’s family, as an example, could not bring a wrongful death civil lawsuit against BM in CO, correct? IMO
Correct. Only Suzanne's spouse and children have standing in Colorado Court.

Since BM is the accused, only Suzanne's children can file a wrongful death action against their father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member