Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading Lauren Scharf's Twitter feed. She says Barry has public defenders! How in the heck can he qualify for public defenders? He has money to hire his own lawyers. Public defenders are Magdalena Rosa and Daniel Zettler.

Maybe, Barry has public defenders for this first hearing and will hire his own private lawyers in the near future.

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1390326403237810180

**So, I guess that his first hearing won't be televised??**

Maybe the assets are frozen in the children’s names or a non-revocable trust. Wonder what the balance of the Hope Foundation’s funds are now? Hmmmm

jmo

Speaking of Barry having to pay big $$ for legal fees, Lauren Scharf's Twitter says he currently has 2 public defenders which is interesting.

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Replying to
@LaurenScharfTV
According to court documents, #BarryMorphew’s public defenders are Magdalena Rosa and Daniel Zettler. #findsuzanne
@FOX21News

10:23 AM · May 6, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

That doesn’t surprise me and supports my theory that all the cash BM was getting his hands on was to pay a debt, not save for counsel.

I am guessing Barry was assigned lawyers for the first hearing because he has not retained qualified criminal defense attorneys yet. He would have to submit an "assets and liabilities" affidavit for the court listing his assets in order to qualify for a public defender or assigned counsel. It doesn't seem like he would qualify as indigent so I would bet this is a timing thing since he has a hearing today and he is entitled to counsel at any proceeding.
Betcha he had the process all thought out and lined up "just in case".

I am guessing Barry was assigned lawyers for the first hearing because he has not retained qualified criminal defense attorneys yet. He would have to submit an "assets and liabilities" affidavit for the court listing his assets in order to qualify for a public defender or assigned counsel. It doesn't seem like he would qualify as indigent so I would bet this is a timing thing since he has a hearing today and he is entitled to counsel at any proceeding.
This makes sense to me. And it also suggests that the arrest really caught him off guard!

Just watching this now, and Chris said that when he went out to Colorado, the night before the arrest, he noticed a big trailer parked in front of Barry's condo. He speculated that Barry was about ready to make a move, and that's why the DA pulled the trigger when she did. :eek:

The thing about all the windows being open at his house.... I wonder if he was trying to air the place to get rid of smells. More bleach?!

I wonder if there is even any money in the crowd funding account (which I never understood because this guy had access to loads of money).

I wonder who this woman is?? She looks fairly young.
The GimmeFund account has been disabled
Here’s a screenshot of last balance, $33,552. Last contribution was $50 just 26 days ago.
Edited to add:
Ive included the Facebook link to the gimme site.

Attachments

• 199C9477-6362-45E9-95F2-3D55A20E40B5.jpeg
    199C9477-6362-45E9-95F2-3D55A20E40B5.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I am reading Lauren Scharf's Twitter feed. She says Barry has public defenders! How in the heck can he qualify for public defenders? He has money to hire his own lawyers. Public defenders are Magdalena Rosa and Daniel Zettler.

Maybe, Barry has public defenders for this first hearing and will hire his own private lawyers in the near future.

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1390326403237810180

**So, I guess that his first hearing won't be televised??**
It is astonishing to me that he did not have a criminal defense attorney on speed dial.

He was certain he got away with it.

Betcha he had the process all thought out and lined up "just in case".

This happens in every case but you have to remember the criminal court system deals with criminals all day, every day. They are prepared for people to try to outsmart the system. Every person who goes through this process is accused of a crime. Barry is not smarter or more creative than any other criminal. He has houses, trucks, businesses and they all count as "assets" available to him. Judges are not stupid and remember, this is what they do all day, every day, for years if not decades.

Plus, most people who can afford a private attorney want a private attorney. The key difference, which is unfair IMO, is you are paying your private attorney to spend valuable time thinking about and working on your case. Your private attorney can decline other cases and spend as much time as necessary on your case. You can hire the best experts in the country to support your case. A public defender must carry whatever caseload is assigned by the court and the PD office. There are only 24 hours in a day. If that PD has 75 cases heading to trial, you will get your share of time. This is not knocking PDs, they do incredible work with little support. But we are all limited by the hours in a day.

It is astonishing to me that he did not have a criminal defense attorney on speed dial.

He was certain he got away with it.
I suspect that in some ways Barry is a penny-pincher. He probably researched and knew how much he would be spending, and calculated that he could wait to retain counsel until after this stage. Along with a bit of bravado on his part thinking he was home free. Is there a possibility of bail?

This happens in every case but you have to remember the criminal court system deals with criminals all day, every day. They are prepared for people to try to outsmart the system. Every person who goes through this process is accused of a crime. Barry is not smarter or more creative than any other criminal. He has houses, trucks, businesses and they all count as "assets" available to him. Judges are not stupid and remember, this is what they do all day, every day, for years if not decades.

Plus, most people who can afford a private attorney want a private attorney. The key difference, which is unfair IMO, is you are paying your private attorney to spend valuable time thinking about and working on your case. Your private attorney can decline other cases and spend as much time as necessary on your case. You can hire the best experts in the country to support your case. A public defender must carry whatever caseload is assigned by the court and the PD office. There are only 24 hours in a day. If that PD has 75 cases heading to trial, you will get your share of time. This is not knocking PDs, they do incredible work with little support. But we are all limited by the hours in a day.
Thank you, great explantation and post! I’ve always felt the public defender is extremely overburdened, thus the defendants left using the PD are left at a disadvantage in the judicial process IMHO.

I also find the non profit fascinating. It’s named after SM but BM is the listed officer to send all correspondence too. There are very little assets accounted for and 990s were not required as they claimed less than 25k income per year via the non profit.

Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc - 501C3 Nonprofit - Salida, CO - 462059221

Why have a non profit with the stated goa of helping children around the world and do literally nothing with it?

And it had no notable activity while in IN, so why dissolve it and restart it in CO in order to continue to do nothing?

Well, I've known people who do just that - in order to write off travel to the third world. One woman collected clothes from thrift stores, and went to her destination, dropped them off at children's charities there - and wrote off her entire trip (which was, to most people's way of thinking, a vacation).

I had an aunt who actually did more than that - she went to poorer countries to hire "interns" and then helped them substantially to get set up in the US and get permanent residency. She was quite an eccentric lady, but she thought she had some kind of sixth sense that enabled her to pick worthy people to come work for her (they were her housekeepers, groundskeepers, personal assistants). She felt this was a religious calling. She *did* help people, but she also did quite a bit of shopping in certain foreign destinations.

I don't believe BM was planning to flee and that was the reason the DA moved to make an arrest yesterday. I don't believe she felt pressure, now, later or never. The decision was made on charges, an arrest, then logistics of said arrest worked out. IMO

He probably just happened to have a trailer parked in front of his condo, which with his line of work is probably normal for tools, etc. Having windows open is normal and hardly points to BM listening for LE coming.

If Barry became a fugitive, the nice men and women from the USMS would have found him. I'm confident in that statement.

IMO

All the major news outlets have been broadcasting Barry’s arrest nationwide & internationally via tv, print, online, etc. The Morphew name is an unusual name. If the judge in Colorado becomes aware of Barry’s arrest for premeditated murder of his wife, would the judge have a responsibility to the courts to intervene?

I think BM already completed what he wanted to do under SM's Guardianship prior to his arrest. Since the Court appoints the guardian, I believe somebody in SM's family will have to act to have BM's power revoked and appoint a successor-- probably already named in the original petition. I recall SM/BM's adult daughter signed the petition in consent of BM being appointed guardian and she'd likely be the party to request his powers revoked. Nonetheless -- I don't think BM will be conducting any transaction involving the Guardianship from behind bars. MOO

swedeheart posted the pics of the girlfriend on page 2, post #38
Ok thank you I saw those in the DM yesterday it also said he dropped her off at a hotel afterwards and came back later conversing in his truck. I wonder why she would be staying in a Hotel Hmm. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, it comes as no surprise that this murder was premeditated. I've always believed it was planned with much thought and way in advance, possibly of them even moving to Colorado, where Suzanne became totally isolated from her loved ones. All the coincidences never sat right with me: Suzanne being all alone on Mother's Day, girls out of town, no cams, poor Wifi and cell service, Barry out of town, etc. I truly believe something went south for ole Barry during that Mother's Day weekend that screwed up his pre-planned alibi, and caused everything to become messy, and he was in full panic mode when he gathered his workers for the Broomfield job. Maybe he did have a fire training course that weekend, and it got cancelled suddenly due to Covid, or maybe the girls decided to head back to Salida earlier than scheduled. Whatever it was, I do hope we will one day have the answers to this puzzling case. That arrest warrant cannot come fast enough, I tell ya. (I think you ALL know).

FYI: I dreamed about Barry and the girls last night. We were in a house together, and I knew he was a murderer. We were playing games like Ring around the Rosie (kinda), and all the while I was thinking, is this man gonna flip and kill us? Lol. Hopefully, my Barry dreams are coming to a close.

From the Daily Mail, photos of Barry and his "friend," out living their best life getting some Mexican food. :rolleyes: Not anymore, Bear Bare. Not anymore. We were never going to let you just kill your sweet wife and move on like she was garbage. Nope. Not on our watch. :(
Has it been mentioned who she is? She looks young. Someone there must recognize her, I think.

I find it hard to characterize Barry's volunteer fireman's position as work. It was unpaid. Probably came with limited liability insurance and that's it. Some volunteer firemen pay for all their own training, some places pay for it. I grew up in a town with only 2 employed firemen, the rest were volunteers (and in fact, even today, it's only 5 paid firemen and they have been in the midst of fires that made national news - huge fires). But the town still doesn't have the money to hire more firemen (they cost about $200,000 each with insurance and equipment, annually).

George Davis. Barry’s neighbor and Firefighter buddy. He’s the guy Barry referred to in the TD video, paraphrased: “my buddy knows all about these things, helped search a 200 mile radius and did 400 tours in Iraq..” :rolleyes:

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Could a Firefighter be considered a "public servant"?

Just read this morning that he was arrested yesterday. Hope answers for her family are coming and she is found. I suspect that she may never be though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea