Deceased/Not Found NY - Saniyya Dennis, 19, SUNY College Student, Buffalo, 24 Apr 2021

Saniyya Dennis, missing Buffalo State College student, took her own life, DA says (yahoo.com)

Saniyya Dennis, the New York college student who disappeared last month, died by apparent suicide, officials said Thursday.

"It appears that this poor girl took her own life," Erie County District Attorney John Flynn told reporters during a morning news conference.

While authorities have not located the 19-year-old's body, they were able to reach that conclusion based on a timeline of her last hours...

Another live tweet from reporter Ed Drantch (WKBW):

https://twitter.com/EdDrantch/status/1390296635314515968 (thread)

NOW: DA John Flynn: 4/24: noon: #SaniyyaDennis gets into argument with boyfriend who lives in NYC area - ruled out as suspect - calling/texting one another - and the end of convo- he breaks up with her. 1236 pm: saniyya calls friend about break up

She calls boyfriend 59 times there after. Texts continue- no actual conversation Texts to bf : I’m not feeling good- I think I’m going to kill myself- no response - she says ‘I’m so done with my own life I’ve had enough”

215/227 pm- 7 more calls to ex bf
239 pm - 559pm- Saniyya talks to male friend in NYC area - she talks about suicide according to DA She recently had some mental health issues, says DA

Male friend tells NYPD, he thought he had talked her out of suicide. They have phone call until 1007 pm for four hours... though at some point they get off phone (still live) but playing xbox

What happened between 1007&1102 is unclear
1102- seen on cam in elevator
1103- seen exiting dorm

1104 pm- walks to garbage can and throws away personal items in garbage can. She throws away things that would lead someone to believe she was not returning to dorm
1112 pm- swipes bus card into NFTA bus 32 at bus stop on campus going toward Black Rock

She was sitting alone on bus- exits alone.
1140- swipes into NFTA bus 40 going to Niagara Falls Enters, exits alone - exits at first and rainbow in Niagara Falls

1207- exits bus
1210 am- texts mother- says I love you- I’ll call tomorrow
1215 - texts make friend- “glad we talked” Minutes later - NF park cams show she’s walking toward Goat Island

1217- picked up on camera in park
1218- text from friend
1219- Saniyya last seen on bridge Call for 45 minutes at that time- from Male Friend in NYC- she told him she was going to jump off bridge... though she told him she had reconsidered.

She ended phone call.
100am- 4/25- Saniyya standing by Tesla monument- takes Snapchat of falls
105 am- Sends text to male friend - he asks for location- she doesn’t respond Phone pinged at Tesla monument

She sends text to male friend she’s on bus. Not true.
122 am- text to friend- last outgoing message from phone

123 am is when cell phone leaves cell network- either powered off or destroyed- phone has not powered back on since
145-227 am- friends tried to call her with no luck

Male friend did not tell anyone about any of this initially. Same is true for ex boyfriend
This whole tweet thread makes me want to vomit. I’m so sorry for this tragic loss.

It does remind us to send 911 to suicidal contacts. In the throes of suicidal ideation they are truly not themselves and cannot be trusted. As one of my friend’s who was suicidal put it later: “It wasn’t me! It was like my brain was hijacked.” So tragic.

Last edited:
This whole tweet thread make me want to vomit. I’m so sorry for this tragic loss.

It does remind us to send 911 to suicidal contacts. In the throes of suicidal ideation they are truly not themselves and cannot be trusted. As one of my friend’s who was suicidal put it later: “It wasn’t me! It was like my brain was hijacked.” So tragic.
When I read the first tweet about her boyfriend just breaking up with her, my heart sank. "Oh, no... I can see where this could be going." It got much worse from there.

Reading reaction to the news on SM I can see a surprising number of people in denial about the possibility of Saniyya taking her own life. IMO some come from anti-police stance (not trusting the information provided today), but some might be due to the stigma still associated with mental health issues and suicide. I hope this doesn't prevent someone else from reaching out for help in the future.

When I read the first tweet about her boyfriend just breaking up with her, my heart sank. "Oh, no... I can see where this could be going." It got much worse from there.

Reading reaction to the news on SM I can see a surprising number of people in denial about the possibility of Saniyya taking her own life. IMO some come from anti-police stance (not trusting the information provided today), but some might be due to the stigma still associated with mental health issues and suicide. I hope this doesn't prevent someone else from reaching out for help in the future.

Unless or until her body is found, Saniyya's family and friends might be unwilling to accept LE's assertion that SD took her own life.

Unless or until her body is found, Saniyya's family and friends might be unwilling to accept LE's assertion that SD took her own life.
The DA said in the presser that her parents had a hard time accepting the possibility. I can understand that, though I haven't seen their reaction yet. It's the people starting conspiracy theories or implying that mental health isn't an issue in her demographic, so she couldn't have done it.

The family must have known something from early on, since in an earlier press conference, Saniyya's uncle mentioned "scary statements" coming from the person who was in contact with her that afternoon/evening.

Last edited:
Search party for missing Buffalo State student Saniyya Dennis says they’re leaving no stone unturned | News 4 Buffalo

Julia Stevens it the search organizer. According to another article she is with Allies for Black Justice.

“Clothing items, a cell phone was found, a bracelet was found – all of these could be the utmost importance because we have absolutely no information on what happened to Saniyya Dennis,” added Stevens.

The items found could just be stuff that other people lost or knowingly left behind in the park. Saniyya did wear a distinctive necklace in some of her pictures.
Have any of these items been identified as belonging to her?

Have any of these items been identified as belonging to her?
The DA was asked about the black shirt that was found days earlier. He said that it didn't belong to her. I assume that none of the objects found were hers. Interestingly the Goat island was also searched with metal detectors a couple of days ago. What were the police looking for? Weapons?

Does anyone else not see how the police could have failed Saniyya, as they have been accused in the media before? Is there anything they could have done faster and better to prevent the outcome in this case or come to a conclusion sooner?

Last edited:
Statement from DA John Flynn on Investigation into Disappearance of Saniyya Dennis | Erie County District Attorney's Office

May 6
Yesterday afternoon, members of my office met with the family of Saniyya Dennis to provide an update on the investigation into her disappearance. At this time, we believe that Saniyya traveled alone from the Buffalo State College campus by NFTA bus to Niagara Falls State Park where the evidence suggests that she took her own life during the early morning hours of Sunday, April 25, 2021.

While the Erie County District Attorney’s Office does not typically become involved in missing person cases unless there is evidence of criminality, we assisted in this multi-agency effort to find Saniyya at the request of SUNY Buffalo State College University Police.

My office and our partners in law enforcement have found no evidence of any criminality in this case. All evidence indicates that Saniyya ended her own life, but the investigation into her disappearance will not be closed until she is found.

My thoughts and prayers remain with Saniyya’s family and friends during this difficult time.

Thank you to all who have assisted in the search to find Saniyya. I commend SUNY Buffalo State College, Buffalo State College University Police, New York State Park Police, Niagara Frontier Transit Authority Police, New York State Police, Mayor Byron Brown, Buffalo Police Department, Niagara County Sheriff’s Office, Niagara Regional Police, New York Police Department, the FBI and other law enforcement agencies who have dedicated their time and resources to this ongoing investigation.

I also want to thank the Buffalo State community, members of the media, and residents from Western New York and beyond who have participated in the search and shared information about her case.”

Statement by Erie County District Attorney John J. Flynn

ERIE / NIAGARA COUNTY ACTION: the older sister of Saniyya Davis says that her family will “never stop looking” and that the facts as described by the Erie County District Attorney’s Office “have been strongly disturbed to paint a picture and close the case.”

Niagara Action

Does anyone else not see how the police could have failed Saniyya, as they have been accused in the media before? Is there anything they could have done faster and better to prevent the outcome in this case or come to the conclusion earlier?

ERIE / NIAGARA COUNTY ACTION: the older sister of Saniyya Davis says that her family will “never stop looking” and that the facts as described by the Erie County District Attorney’s Office “have been strongly disturbed to paint a picture and close the case.”

Niagara Action

I won’t pretend to know how it feels to be in this family’s shoes right now. I can’t even imagine what they are going through.
It’s understandable when family question or even refuse to accept a loved one committed suicide, but listening to the press conference today I feel LE was very thorough. They presented a timeline with evidence that supports their conclusion.
IMO, I feel like emotions were running high and there was tension between family and officials from the beginning. Overall, I feel LE did their job & did so quite thoroughly. It’s just not the outcome anyone hoped for.
(Again, this is merely my opinion)

Ugh I got the chills reading about her last contacts. How incredibly heartbreaking. Can’t imagine what her family is going through and the need to blame someone for their terrible loss so overwhelming. I hope they are able to find her and find some peace down the line. :(

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-new...e-student-presumed-to-have-taken-her-own-life

Flynn detailed the steps of the investigation during his news conference, you can find those details below.

Saturday, April 24
12:00 p.m. - Saniyya Dennis gets into an argument with her boyfriend who lives in the NYC area - ruled out as suspect - calling/texting one another - and at the end of conversation he breaks up with her.
12:36 p.m. - Saniyya calls a male friend, also near the NYC area, about the break up. She calls her now ex-boyfriend 59 times there after. Texts continue but no actual conversation is had. In the texts to her ex-boyfriend "I’m not feeling good, I think I’m going to kill myself," no response. She says "I’m so done with my own life I’ve had enough."
2:15 to 2:27 p.m. - Seven more calls made to ex-boyfriend.
2:39 p.m. - Saniyya talks to male friend in NYC area - she talks about suicide according to DA. She recently had some mental health issues, says DA. When they're on the phone, she states that she's feeling better and that she had reconsidered taking her own life. At this point the male friend believes her.
10:07 p.m. - Phone call with male friend in NYC comes to an end.
11:02 p.m. - Saniyya is seen on camera in the elevator.
11:03 p.m. - Saniyya is seen exiting the dorm.
11:04 p.m. - Saniyya walks to a garbage can and throws away personal items. The DA says she threw away things that would lead someone to believe she was not returning to the dorm.
11:12 p.m. - Saniyya swipes her bus card onto NFTA bus 32 going toward Black Rock. She sat alone and exited alone.
11:40 p.m. - Saniyya swipes her bus card onto NFTA bus 40 going toward Niagara Falls. She sat alone.

Sunday, April 25
12:07 a.m. - Saniyya exits bus 40 at First and Rainbow in Niagara Falls.
12:10 a.m. - Saniyya texts her mother and says she loves her and she will call her tomorrow.
12:15 a.m. - Saniyya texts her male friend thanking him for his time but saying "I'm sorry I lied. I will not be joining you this summer, at least physically. Thank you for making my day special." Minutes later, Niagara Falls State Park cameras show she’s walking toward Goat Island.
12:17 a.m. - Saniyya is picked up on camera in the park.
12:18 a.m. - She receives a text from her male friend in the NYC area.
12:19 a.m. - Saniyya is last seen by Niagara Falls State Park cameras on the bridge. She speaks on the phone with her male friend for about 45 minutes. The DA says she told him she took a bus to an island and was going to jump off a bridge but told him she had reconsidered, she ended the phone call.
1:00 a.m. - Saniyya takes Snapchat photo near the Tesla monument.
1:05 a.m. - Saniyya sends a text to her male friend in the NYC area, he asks for her location but she doesn’t respond and says she's on the bus. The DA says that is not true because her phone was pinged at the Tesla monument.
1:20 a.m. - Saniyya sends a text to her male friend in the NYC area, she says she's on the bus going home. Her friend says he's relieved, but the DA says her phone was pinged at the park.
1:21 a.m. - Saniyya texts her male friend in NYC area saying she talked to her mom, her and her mom were crying and having a conversation, but DA says phone records show that is not true.
1:22 a.m. - Saniyya sends another text to her male friend saying she will let him know when she gets off the bus, the last outgoing message from her phone which the DA says came from Goat Island.
1:23 a.m. - Saniyya's phone leaves the cell network, it was either powered off or destroyed and has not powered back on since.
1:45 a.m. to 2:27 a.m. - Friends tried to call Saniyya with no response.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back