Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this. I also have to say I would have to see convincing evidence before I would believe any of my loved one committed murder even if I know they may have a temper, and I’m way past being a child. This seems completely normal in my eyes and even more so if we are talking about a parent who has taken care of me up until now. It’s human not wanting to believe something bad like this over somebody so close to us, unless the person did bad things to us too before this already. Later on with evidence presented my view could and would change.

I’m so sorry for M &M, this must be extremely difficult. My heart goes out to them.

I agree, you see this a lot. We hear about some offenders being difficult and abusive people but many can compartmentalize and are sweet to their own families. If you lived 20 years and every experience you had with your dad, day in and day out, was positive and loving - it is very hard to think that same person could be a monster. It is easy for us because we come in after the crime is committed and look with a critical lens. But when you have a genuine attachment, it is hard to sever that. In some people denial takes over as a defense mechanism - it is easier to believe the unbelievable than think your loved one is evil. As long as they do not interfere with the investigation or prosecution I try to ignore any family because there's no real good answer for them. Human emotions are too complicated.

Can anyone help? I asked these questions yesterday that I haven't found the answers to .....
1. the daughters were on a camping trip and asked the neighbor to check on their mom whom they hadn't heard from. The neighbor is the one who reported her missing after she checked up on her and said she didn't come back from a bike trip. So did the neighbor see her leave for the supposed bike trip? I thought I read that she hadn't been seen by anyone for days prior to Mother's Day so how did the neighbor see her? I'm guessing she just went off of what she was told???
2. I read (I think here) that two people connected to BM gave someone a note saying she didn't have to answer any questions from LE. Who was that?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
The bike ride is the most obvious, in my opinion, but I also have to ask why in the world BM would tell the world that he attended firefighter training on Mother's Day! In the middle of a global pandemic, why would BM make up the fire training story? o_O Actually, I think BM expected Fire Chief Bertram to corroborate this story.

Has it been established that this information did in fact come straight from Barry?

Can anyone help? I asked these questions yesterday that I haven't found the answers to .....
1. the daughters were on a camping trip and asked the neighbor to check on their mom whom they hadn't heard from. The neighbor is the one who reported her missing after she checked up on her and said she didn't come back from a bike trip. So did the neighbor see her leave for the supposed bike trip? I thought I read that she hadn't been seen by anyone for days prior to Mother's Day so how did the neighbor see her? I'm guessing she just went off of what she was told???
2. I read (I think here) that two people connected to BM gave someone a note saying she didn't have to answer any questions from LE. Who was that?

Q1. No, the neighbor did not see Suzanne leave on a bike trip. It was BM himself that implied if she's not there, and her car is, then surely she must be out on a bike ride. He is where that story came from - no one ever saw Suzanne on her bike on Mother's Day Sunday.

Q2. A friend and a relative of BM, (GD and TN) approached MG, a contractor that worked with BM, and suggested to her she didn't have to cooperate with LE on this.

I'm sure I saw this here yesterday but now I can't seem to locate it.
Lauren Scharf either tweeted or posted on her FB, that the young red-headed woman Barry's been seen with in town, is actually a friend of Suzanne's.
Can someone point me back to that post of LS?

Lauren Scharf either tweeted or posted on her FB, that the young red-headed woman Barry's been seen with in town, is actually a friend of Suzanne's.

It came from the Nancy Grace podcast.

IIRC, she is a friend of Suzanne's who came to town to confront Barry.

It was mentioned in this post:
Thanks! Nancy's guest, the woman without a southern accent, is Lauren Schafer? At about 39:40 Nancy says, "Talk me about this redhead!" to her guests. Guest Lauren S. replies that the woman seen in DailyMail photos is a good friend of Suzanne's who came to confront BM - not a "girlfriend" of BM.

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*
Post #400

Q1. No, the neighbor did not see Suzanne leave on a bike trip. It was BM himself that implied if she's not there, and her car is, then surely she must be out on a bike ride. He is where that story came from - no one ever saw Suzanne on her bike on Mother's Day Sunday.

Q2. A friend and a relative of BM, (GD and TN) approached MG, a contractor that worked with BM, and suggested to her she didn't have to cooperate with LE on this.
thank you very much

She might be 18, but regardless, they should be protected. I have a 22 year old and a 17 year old and I 100% would not consider them adults in any way except age. These are not 40 or 50 year old women with tons of life experience and by all accounts, they seem to have had wonderful trauma free childhoods/young adulthood. They are wading chest deep in uncharted waters. This has got to be so confusing and scary for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want Suzanne found. They can still have hope if she isn't found and they can still deny that their father did anything wrong. I am a 42 year old woman who would still have a hard time believing that my beloved father could do something like this. It would take ALOT of evidence to turn me against my dad and even then I don't know if I would believe it. Neither of my parents are/were saints by any stretch of the imagination but I still would never believe one was capable of killing the other. I am heartbroken for these girls regardless of who did what and I hope they seek therapy because stuff like this is traumatic (even if you didn't witness the event... source: personal experience) and can definitely cause PTSD and other mental health issues. Their brains haven't even fully formed and this could be very very damaging to a growing brain (source again: personal experiences at their ages).

I pray for all involved... even Barry... I don't think he has NPD... Narcissistic traits? Sure... but we all have those in some ways to greater or lesser degrees.

Jmo
I think they should be protected, too. I was just responding to the article by the DM that stated one daughter was a minor. I thought it was reported last year at this time that the youngest was 17. And yes, I'm sure they are traumatized by the loss of their mother and their father's arrest. I hope they will eventually feel comfortable reaching out to Suzanne's family. They will need all the emotional support they can get.

On your first question, no one saw Suzanne leave on a bike.
On your 2nd question, I don’t think I’ve heard anything about a note being given to anyone. Are you talking about 2 guys approaching one of Barry’s employees and saying as they handed her a paycheck that they didn’t want it to appear that it was hush money? That was Morgan Gentile.

On your first question, no one saw Suzanne leave on a bike.
On your 2nd question, I don’t think I’ve heard anything about a note being given to anyone. Are you talking about 2 guys approaching one of Barry’s employees and saying as they handed her a paycheck that they didn’t want it to appear that it was hush money? That was Morgan Gentile.
yes, thank you

So said red headed woman seen with BM came to town to confront BM? That was a serious degree of risk on her part. Curious what the discussion between said woman and the Deputies was about. How ironic would it be if BM had called LE to report her for making "terroristic threats"?

I'll be anxious to see if a new attorney files a notice of appearance for BM before May 27 when BM appears before the Court to hear the charges against him.

So many rumors that BM has liquidated all his assets and is now a renter. It will be interesting if he claims he cannot afford a lawyer and requests one appointed for him.

If BM claims that SM might be alive and that he's innocent, I wonder if he'll claim that half of the proceeds from the liquidation are in trust for his ward, SM.

So many things to come -- can't wait to see the arrest affidavit!

ETA: If a defendant is in custody - they are entitled to a Public Defender --regardless of their wealth.

One tidbit -- I believe that in some rural/remote areas, the same attorneys who serve as [contract] public defenders may also be hired to defend those who can afford to pay.

I'm almost certain that's how it works in my county (which is rural and remote but not in Colorado).

So we may not be able to determine simply by the name of the defending attorney whether BM is paying or whether he has [eventually] qualified for a public defender.

Maybe one of the locals knows whether this is a possibility in Chaffee County?

Is it incorrect reporting (supposition) that Suzanne was 'last seen' on the bike ride?
Just wondering, as I have seen it reported in several Colorado media articles.

She was last seen leaving her Salida home for a bike ride on Mother's Day.
Suzanne Morphew went missing 8 months ago | 9news.com

She had last been seen leaving on a bike ride from her home in Maysville
Missing on bike ride: Suzanne Morphew's brother starts search

... was last seen on Mother’s Day, May 10.
Missing Mother: Video Shows Remote Area Where Suzanne Morphew Was Reportedly Biking When She Disappeared

I agree, you see this a lot. We hear about some offenders being difficult and abusive people but many can compartmentalize and are sweet to their own families. If you lived 20 years and every experience you had with your dad, day in and day out, was positive and loving - it is very hard to think that same person could be a monster. It is easy for us because we come in after the crime is committed and look with a critical lens. But when you have a genuine attachment, it is hard to sever that. In some people denial takes over as a defense mechanism - it is easier to believe the unbelievable than think your loved one is evil. As long as they do not interfere with the investigation or prosecution I try to ignore any family because there's no real good answer for them. Human emotions are too complicated.

Good post. BM could have always been positive and loving towards his daughters and that's their experience with him. We, the public, are introduced to this family only after tragedy strikes. Someone mentioned in a post (IIRC) something along the lines they hope the girls sit through his trial and hear all the evidence. There's a part of me that hopes they don't. I don't feel they need to hear the gruesome details to ensure they end up hating their dad and never talking to him again. I felt the same when they were criticized for not helping in Andy's search to find their mom. I wish no family to see the remains of a loved one like that or to feel the reality of what you're looking for (a deceased loved ones body). I personally just can't get upset about the girls standing by their dad and your bolded statement above sums it up perfectly. IMO

Is it incorrect reporting (supposition) that Suzanne was 'last seen' on the bike ride?
Just wondering, as I have seen it reported in several Colorado media articles.

She was last seen leaving her Salida home for a bike ride on Mother's Day.
Suzanne Morphew went missing 8 months ago | 9news.com

She had last been seen leaving on a bike ride from her home in Maysville
Missing on bike ride: Suzanne Morphew's brother starts search

... was last seen on Mother’s Day, May 10.
Missing Mother: Video Shows Remote Area Where Suzanne Morphew Was Reportedly Biking When She Disappeared

Hey, I'm heading over to Russell and Carol's thread to see what the latest is :)

I think that different YouTube people had different views. I watched the Jay for Justice one after I watched Chris McDonough. I went to the very beginning before the hearings started and watched who came in.

Jay seemed to have a wider screen/view than what Chris had. Chris was doing a split screen in the beginning before the proceedings began. Jay had the full screen the entire time.

JMO.

I watched the Jay stream as well. A lot was on there-it was streaming long before proceedings began, while they were setting up and figuring out where to sit etc. Side note, there has to be a function where all viewers are on mute, and the organizer unmutes particular individuals involved in the process. We do it all day for meetings. I did not see any blood family in the courtroom other than daughters.

So said red headed woman seen with BM came to town to confront BM? That was a serious degree of risk on her part. Curious what the discussion between said woman and the Deputies was about. How ironic would it be if BM had called LE to report her for making "terroristic threats"?

I am hoping Lauren is able to address the mystery redhead rumors. I think she has been pretty widely identified, and I think the truth may lie somewhere between a confronting friend and Barry’s new squeeze. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. Waiting for others to come out of the woodwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member