GUILTY MI - Edward Gierlach, 91, & Cheryl Harper, 56, mauled to death by dogs, 13 Sept 2007

That's disgusting and the owner of the farm should be charged, hands down. Letting any kind of dog roam free in a pack of 10 is absolutely ridiculous and an accident waiting to happen, or in this case a murder waiting to happen. The farmer may have well just sat at this window and fired at these people with a gun.

And I'm sure none of those dogs were neutered or spayed, when they say that some of the dogs were related do they mean from the same litter or are they inbred? Wouldn't surprise me. Sounds like a little backyard breeding is going on at that farm. Those poor people!

Why would anyone allow 10 dogs to run loose and give them the chance to pack up and become aggressive.
Hope this BYB is charged and locked up for a very long time

I wonder what they were growing on this farm.

People make fun of me for being so scared of dogs that I won't walk in my neighborhood anymore.

In May, I was walking on our road, and the neighbor's dog came barrelling down their yard to the road, barking as hard as he could at me (he had done this before, but had always stopped at the edge of the yard). This time he came on out in the road (I was on the opposite side of the road from their yard, so it wasn't even like I was in "his territory"), along with two smaller yappy dogs....by now he was also growling. I kept walking, because that's what you're "supposed" to do.....then I felt something "hit" my *advertiser censored*. Then again....and that's when I realized that that nasty dog had BITTEN me!

Luckily a car came, which scared him off. After I got home and stopped freaking out I called the sheriff's department. Naturally, the owner was "shocked" because her dog had *never* done anything like this before. She told me, via the deputy, that if the dog ever came at me again to scream at him and he would stop dead in his tracks, because that's how they deal with him (here's me rolling my eyes so hard my optic nerve has a permenant kink).

So now, I just don't walk. I drive miles away for a "safe" place to exercise. Ugh.

People make fun of me for being so scared of dogs that I won't walk in my neighborhood anymore.

In May, I was walking on our road, and the neighbor's dog came barrelling down their yard to the road, barking as hard as he could at me (he had done this before, but had always stopped at the edge of the yard). This time he came on out in the road (I was on the opposite side of the road from their yard, so it wasn't even like I was in "his territory"), along with two smaller yappy dogs....by now he was also growling. I kept walking, because that's what you're "supposed" to do.....then I felt something "hit" my *advertiser censored*. Then again....and that's when I realized that that nasty dog had BITTEN me!

Luckily a car came, which scared him off. After I got home and stopped freaking out I called the sheriff's department. Naturally, the owner was "shocked" because her dog had *never* done anything like this before. She told me, via the deputy, that if the dog ever came at me again to scream at him and he would stop dead in his tracks, because that's how they deal with him (here's me rolling my eyes so hard my optic nerve has a permenant kink).

So now, I just don't walk. I drive miles away for a "safe" place to exercise. Ugh.

It shouldn't be up to you to discipline her dogs. Does your state have a leash law? Mine does and I'd be in BIG trouble if one of my dogs went in the road and bit somebody. I'm putting up a 6 ft. privacy fence to avoid any problems with the neighbors due to my dogs (pit and rott). My neighber next door suggested an underground fence but I don't beleive in those. My dogs have never gone after anyone and they only go out to use the bathroom or for walks (on a leash!) but I'm putting the fence up for my own protection. The neighbor across the street has 4 pits in his basement and he looks kind of shady. I don't want something to happen with his dogs and have it come back on me. Not saying that could happen but I'm going to make sure my dogs are never mistaken for one of his and vice versa. It's pretty much like comparing a bunny to a lion.

My dog never runs loose, we have a 6 ft fence, hes never attempted to jump it either, I have concrete blocks for the foundation of the fence.
The people who own these dogs should be charged with negligent manslaughter! I dont think they can get them for murder but this was certainly neglect and its horrendous what happened to those 2 people:(

These kind o people make it hard for us who are responsible with our dogs. People wake up: DOGS IN A PACK ARE DANGEROUS. Doesnt even take a pack, my husband was bit by a LOOSE dog in the back of his leg and my cat was killed by 2 running loose, she ws in her OWN yard, too.

My dog never runs loose, we have a 6 ft fence, hes never attempted to jump it either, I have concrete blocks for the foundation of the fence.
The people who own these dogs should be charged with negligent manslaughter! I dont think they can get them for murder but this was certainly neglect and its horrendous what happened to those 2 people:(

These kind o people make it hard for us who are responsible with our dogs. People wake up: DOGS IN A PACK ARE DANGEROUS. Doesnt even take a pack, my husband was bit by a LOOSE dog in the back of his leg and my cat was killed by 2 running loose, she ws in her OWN yard, too.

That is so sad your cat was killed. Yes dogs will run in a pack. My grandparents got two German Shepherds for their farm and they started killing the hogs so they put one on a seperate farm and they quit. They had just gotten that pack mentality. A couple years ago a man was attacked by his pack of 9 pit bulls here in Peoria, IL. He had been arrested before for dog fighting and had 8 dogs seized before. I thought it kind of ironic they turned on him. Sad the dogs had to live that life and be euthenized though. They then arrested him again for dog fighting after he was out of the hospital.

That is terrible. I hate when I am out walking and dogs come barreling towards me it always scares the poo out of me. We got invited to a BBQ one time and all of us were in the back yard ..tons of people and their dog Siberian Husky was also back in the yard just running around, out of nowhere I felt a thud on my back and that d*&^ dog knocked me down from behind and bit a chunk out of me right under my arm pit. Needless to say I was pregnant at the time and my husband nearly killed the husky. A few months later same dog attacked one of the neighborhood children so they had to have the dog put to sleep.

That is terrible. I hate when I am out walking and dogs come barreling towards me it always scares the poo out of me. We got invited to a BBQ one time and all of us were in the back yard ..tons of people and their dog Siberian Husky was also back in the yard just running around, out of nowhere I felt a thud on my back and that d*&^ dog knocked me down from behind and bit a chunk out of me right under my arm pit. Needless to say I was pregnant at the time and my husband nearly killed the husky. A few months later same dog attacked one of the neighborhood children so they had to have the dog put to sleep.

That's awful! I'm glad you were OK! My hubby would've freaked! My friend had a German Shepherd that would do stuff like that. I was walking across their back yard and she'd come up and poke me in the rear with her nose. I kept waiting for her to take a chunk. I make it a point to put my dogs away when there's a large amount of people at the house. They get so excited and it's just not worth the risk. Plus, I figure they're safer away from all the kids. LOL All the kids flock to my Pit because he's white with black spots and has a black eye. They all gather around him to pet him and stuff and he loves it. It always turns into a game of "Let's run from the dog so he'll chase us" so I put them away.

It shouldn't be up to you to discipline her dogs. Does your state have a leash law?

No leash law in our county. No animal control in our county. There's a small, dedicated group of citizens working their butts off trying to get us into the current century in regards to animal welfare, but TPTB consider decent animal shelters to be "doggy and kitty spas". Seriously. And the tiny amount of money that was going to be used to start a county animal control group with teeth (pun) ended up being given to the sheriff's department instead so they could do "animal controll"...ha!

Lurker I know what you mean about kids and dogs. I have a German Shepherd and all the kids in the neighborhood always flock to her when we have her outside. They want to pet her and ask if they can walk her etc..I let them pet her if I am right there but that is as far as it goes because I am not taking any chances. She has never shown any type of agression but she is a DOG!

That's awful! I'm glad you were OK! My hubby would've freaked! My friend had a German Shepherd that would do stuff like that. I was walking across their back yard and she'd come up and poke me in the rear with her nose. I kept waiting for her to take a chunk. I make it a point to put my dogs away when there's a large amount of people at the house. They get so excited and it's just not worth the risk. Plus, I figure they're safer away from all the kids. LOL All the kids flock to my Pit because he's white with black spots and has a black eye. They all gather around him to pet him and stuff and he loves it. It always turns into a game of "Let's run from the dog so he'll chase us" so I put them away.

Here in La Jolla CA, just a week ago my son's girlfriend (she's a real estate agent and is 40) had an open house at a condo right in town. It's on the third floor of the building and her sister and two little kids were visiting her.

They were going into the condo, she saw a nextdoor neighbor's huge Rottweiler break through the screen of the place next door and was charging toward them. They got into their condo real fast, slammed the door and called animal control. When Animal Control got there the dog tried to attack him and the dog ended up going to the pound........or wherever they take them. (THis is similar to the story in San Francisco only this turned out better) That poor woman was killed.

The woman who owned the dog was away.........was also just a renter, and had been told to keep the dog behind a LOCKED heavy door or chained.
Well..........she didn't do it. So you see...........it can happen anywhere.

I understand from lots of dogs owners that alot of animals can be dangerous because of in-breeding. I'm talking mostly about Pit Bulls.

DUMB ME...........I love dogs, and last year a neighbor who I didn't know was walking by the front of my house. I immediately went over to pet it........and he IMMEDIATELY bit me. A nice good bite! I just asked her is he'd had shots, she said yes, I went and patched myself up and decided I wouldn't be so dumb anymore!

xxxxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

A Siberian Huskey is what my aunt has and he will bite anyone that comes around him. They always have to put him away and he snarls and growls, he looks just like a wolf. He bit my son on the arm. I wish now I would have reported it. He has bit more than 5 people and they won't put him down. I didn't report it because it was my aunt but he needs to be put down before he gets out of the yard or house and really hurts someone. The wierd thing is when I took my dog to obedience school the only one that had agression problems was a Huskey and a Chiauwa (SP?), LOL, and there were 2 pit bulls a German Shepherd and a Doberman but they were all sweet as could be, you just never know?

From August 2008:

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2008/08/owner_of_dogs_that_killed_two.html

Diane Cockrell, 52, appeared before Livingston County Circuit Court Judge Stanley Latreille on Wednesday and pleaded no contest to the original charges: two felony counts of possessing dangerous animals causing death and a misdemeanor count of allowing dogs to stray...

In the sentencing agreement reached with the Livingston County Prosecutor's office, Cockrell will serve between three years, seven months and 15 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back