Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m always amazed that as new information is released and verified, that really, there’s nothing new. Nothing new, in the sense that pretty much everything we find out has been brought up and discussed, at one point or another on this forum. So, are there just really good sleuths on board, or are there some secret insiders? I think it’s a combination of both.

From my own personal experience: I was 11 years-old when my mom beat me with a hot wheels race track piece because she didn't "like my attitude". Despite that, I begged and pleaded with her to forgive me, and told her how much I "loved" her. I also experienced many other moments of sexual abuse, physical abuse, and emotional abuse from others in my "family", but yet it wasn't until I was much, much older that I could see how destructive it was to me and my well-being. So now I have chronic PTSD that I have spent much time trying to heal from.

I guess that's a long way of saying that sometimes when "control" or in my case, also abuse, is the "norm" in a family, you just think that somehow that's just the way it is, and to love and be "loved" is to be controlled and manipulated. No, it's not normal and shouldn't be tolerated, but that's what happens some times when adults fail the children they should be protecting.

All MOO.

I am so sorry that happened to you. :(

:( I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like, to have your mom murdered, and your dad arrested for it. Especially if you have (in your understanding at least) a really good relationship with both of them.

And yet, that exact nightmare is exactly what BM and apparently in the Ristevski case as well, have handed their daughters on a silver platter.
This is the legacy daddy leaves you - taking both of your parents from you.
That's not love, that's the epitome of selfishness and not caring to guard the precious hearts of his daughters.

My heart goes out to the Morphew girls, and Karen's daughter.

Mothers day to boot....seems extra cruel.

I know Suzanne had an Apple Watch, and I am assuming an iPhone. If she had an iPad, she could have used that for texting as well. I enable texts on my iPad, and anyone with access to my iPad can hear the dings and read everything. I’m wondering if we are back to that theory of her deciding to leave him, and he wasn’t having it.
That’s what I believe and never had changed my theory I believe she knew of his womanizing, controlling, abuse, poss GF etc and was done with him ready to get out take the girls, all her money, move back to Indiana but he wasn’t having it. I know these types I was married to one. JMO, MOO etc.

To apply for a Public Defender you must submit an "Application for Indigent Determination". If it is approved, there will be a "Journal Entry" indicating "Indigent" in your Court Case Files.

Court Case Files can be accessed via
Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

JMO, MOO - IANAL!

Reisch (Crime talk) was saying there is some automatic access to public defender when first arrested, ie if someone demands a lawyer but doesn't have one yet, he said they get a PD for a few days to handle that first hearing, then the PDs are replaced with the defense lawyer the accused chooses. That's the way I understood him. He was on profiling evil that first day when the subject came up.

Except applications do not apply to defendants that are in custody and cannot make bail. They are automatically eligible for a public defender. Yes, I also recall Reisch confirming the same -- regardless of wealth, the in-custody defendant is automatically eligible.

BM is In-Custody so he's automatically eligible for a PD. He doesn't even have to apply.

Applying for a Public Defender | Office of the Colorado State Public Defender

Adult Charges and Revocations

In-Custody: If you are in custody and felony or misdemeanor charges have been filed or you have a court date for a revocation, you are automatically eligible for court-appointed representation.

If you are released from custody after counsel has been appointed, you must fill out the Application for Public Defender/Court Appointed Counsel in a Criminal Case JDF208 (in Spanish). If you fail to timely complete an application, the court-appointed counsel may withdraw from your case.

Out-of-Custody: You may apply for court-appointed counsel at any Public Defenders Office regardless of where your charges were filed. For a list of the Public Defenders 21 state-wide regional offices and contact information for those offices see the Public Defender Offices page.

To apply for court-appointed counsel, you must fill out each section of the Application for Public Defender/Court Appointed Counsel in a Criminal Case, JDF208 (in Spanish). Proof of your gross (before taxes) household income must be provided which may include pay stubs, income tax returns, letters from employers, or award letters from SSI or unemployment. Household income includes documentation from any family member living in the household who is working and contributing to the common support of the household. It does not include a roommate’s income unless you have access to and proprietary rights in your roommate’s income. Please refer to form JDF208 for more information regarding the required financial documentation.

When applying for representation, in addition to your financial information, you should also provide all paperwork you have received regarding the case, including charging documents.

I find this situation to be more likely than not, especially, after hearing from Chris M. about how Barry bought a round trip airline ticket to unexpectedly check up on Suzanne when she was on a girls' trip to Florida one year.

He just shows up to check on her; and everyone (including Suzanne) was surprised to see him there. To me, that sends a strong message to one's spouse that you better always be watching because I could show up any place at any time.

I think that Barry is a cheater. I've always suspected that's why he was a volunteer FF. I felt that he used that position to get away when he wanted to do something on his own. A cheater oftentimes projects his behavior onto his/her partner. Barry seems like the type to keep tabs on his wife and spy on her with every device available.

creepy I heard this as well. I agree with you 100%.

I’m always amazed that as new information is released and verified, that really, there’s nothing new. Nothing new, in the sense that pretty much everything we find out has been brought up and discussed, at one point or another on this forum. So, are there just really good sleuths on board, or are there some secret insiders? I think it’s a combination of both.

I think it's because creepy creeps just always tend to do the same kind of creepy things.
There really is nothing new under the sun.

I was wondering...

Since BM has been arrested does LE need a search warrant to search? Can they actively pursue anything pertaining to the case without a warrant with him sitting in jail?

I think they'd still want a warrant. I'm guessing that the Arrest Warrant gave stipulations for search of new truck and the premises.

I do wonder if any warrants will be served in Indiana...or elsewhere.

I was just a 1st grader when my mother died, and she wasn't murdered, the grownups all knew she was going to pass away. Our family lived far away from relatives, across the country and that was in the days of snail mail and shared telephone lines. I latched onto my Dad, I followed him around every minute I could, he was all there was, really. They would joke about how I was his shadow. I know the situations are very different, but even at that age it would probably have screwed me up for life had I lost him, too, in those first few years after she died.

BM must have laid such a head trip on those girls, frightening them into thinking they were unsafe at home, ( and that they needed him to protect them) and probably showering Mom with a lot of fake love after he murdered her (IMO).

Ahhh, so sad for you.
Thank you for posting all this ...
I’m sorry for your loss❤️
Great insight .

Barry Morphew Was 'Dominant' in Relationship With Missing Colorado Mom Suzanne Morphew, Her Sister Says

Barry Morphew Was 'Dominant' in Relationship With Missing Colorado Mom Suzanne Morphew, Her Sister Says

“The Friday before Mother’s Day, my sister had sent me a text message that morning. It was very lengthy. It was very powerful. It was very revealing,” Melinda said. “She had been ready to share some things close to her chest. She said she was scared.”
Snipped from article:
“Moorman says when she received the phone call from her father, telling her Suzanne has gone missing, she immediately knew her younger sister was no longer alive. On top of that, she was confident her brother-in-law was responsible.
“My highest hope would be that my brother-in-law Barry would do the right thing and that he would tell the truth," said Moorman. "If he has any kind of sense at all, and he loves his girls at all. I hope he will do the right thing and confess."
She knew immediately Suzanne was no longer alive & BM was responsible! You know she had to have picked up the phone and contacted Spezze immediately regarding the text from Suzanne. Suzanne knew she was in danger if she was afraid of BM.

You are such a monster, BM, tell where SM is!
MOO

The police may have been able to get it IF they found out about it soon enough.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/retrieve-messages-cell-phone-carrier

Maybe, Melinda did call police right away. Let's hope so.
BBM MM said in the article when she received the call from her dad that SM was missing, she knew immediately Suzanne was no longer alive and that BM was responsible. I feel sure she did contact Spezze. SM had told Melinda she was scared. MOO
EBM correcting word

Last edited:
I find this situation to be more likely than not, especially, after hearing from Chris M. about how Barry bought a round trip airline ticket to unexpectedly check up on Suzanne when she was on a girls' trip to Florida one year.

He just shows up to check on her; and everyone (including Suzanne) was surprised to see him there. To me, that sends a strong message to one's spouse that you better always be watching because I could show up any place at any time.

I think that Barry is a cheater. I've always suspected that's why he was a volunteer FF. I felt that he used that position to get away when he wanted to do something on his own. A cheater oftentimes projects his behavior onto his/her partner. Barry seems like the type to keep tabs on his wife and spy on her with every device available.

Wow. I have to say I am shocked. Who does that? I've been active in groups for abused/stalked women for many years, but for a husband to do this in an apparently functional marriage certainly sent shockwaves around their friend group.

This pushes me even further into my belief that Barry was super-controlling and that even if he didn't move to CO to escape the death penalty, he certainly moved to Puma Path to isolate Suzanne. There's a big web of crazy behavior, IMO. I would say Suzanne must have lived in fear.

I too think Barry was a cheater. And probably has done all the things he's accused others of doing (such as using meth). He thinks throwing the first blow is a good strategy. and that his own godly, manly self is so believable, so trustworthy that everyone will always believe him over everyone else.

And once he began acting entirely the opposite of his Godly Christian Man image, he became opportunistic and sinned more and more. The minister at their church said he spoke to her, after Suzanne's disappearance, about forgiveness and whether everything is truly forgiven by God...I believe she replied that yes, all is forgiven if only the person truly repents. That's what I was taught, too. This can make for a rather chaotic worldview, if you ask me.

(The minister appeared on youtube - if anyone knows which one, please help jog my memory).

I was just a 1st grader when my mother died, and she wasn't murdered, the grownups all knew she was going to pass away. Our family lived far away from relatives, across the country and that was in the days of snail mail and shared telephone lines. I latched onto my Dad, I followed him around every minute I could, he was all there was, really. They would joke about how I was his shadow. I know the situations are very different, but even at that age it would probably have screwed me up for life had I lost him, too, in those first few years after she died.

BM must have laid such a head trip on those girls, frightening them into thinking they were unsafe at home, ( and that they needed him to protect them) and probably showering Mom with a lot of fake love after he murdered her (IMO).
Wow. I can imagine at six years old, you didn't fully understand death or what it meant. You just knew that your Mom was taken away from you. I can easily see how frightened you must have been thinking that you could lose your Dad. Did you have any siblings?

Barry sounds like he was busy living his own life, even more so after Suzanne's disappearance. He was beautifying himself, dating, working out and selling all of the family's possessions.

I don't know if the older daughter lives at school with the younger one staying with him; however, I can see how they would feel better living in a populated condo area versus in a big house in an isolated area.

Posters were commenting on Barry, the girls and one of the girl's friends going on vacation at a Mexican (during Covid) . I wonder if it was a trip that the family normally took every year and was paid in full. They replaced Suzanne with one of the friends. Very sad thought.

Last edited:
From my own personal experience: I was 11 years-old when my mom beat me with a hot wheels race track piece because she didn't "like my attitude". Despite that, I begged and pleaded with her to forgive me, and told her how much I "loved" her. I also experienced many other moments of sexual abuse, physical abuse, and emotional abuse from others in my "family", but yet it wasn't until I was much, much older that I could see how destructive it was to me and my well-being. So now I have chronic PTSD that I have spent much time trying to heal from.

I guess that's a long way of saying that sometimes when "control" or in my case, also abuse, is the "norm" in a family, you just think that somehow that's just the way it is, and to love and be "loved" is to be controlled and manipulated. No, it's not normal and shouldn't be tolerated, but that's what happens some times when adults fail the children they should be protecting.

All MOO.

I too am sorry you had to go through this. It does give you special empathy and insight into what it means to be the victim of abuse. A lot of people don't understand. The abuser makes the victim feel responsible (for their own abuse). This case and Barry's arrest has brought up a lot of memories for me, too.

I hope you are out of the cycle, now. It took me a long time (after leaving my abusive parents - whom I loved very much, I married an abusive man - whom I loved very much).

Oh, Nuttmegg, this is so sad. But your insight into what the girls must be feeling is valuable - we need to remember how they must be feeling. As adults/near adults, they are using almost the same strategy as you did.

Has it ever been revealed who the other $100,000 reward was offered from?

IIRC, it was the stepfather of the young man/boy who is dating the younger daughter.

If anyone has newer info, please post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members