DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting article about Newton county Does.

To Solve 3 Cold Cases, This Small County Got a DNA Crash Course

The DNA Doe Project, run by Dr. Press and dozens of volunteers, has taken on about 120 cases since 2017, and has fielded inquiries from another 200 or so. Many were from small sheriff’s or coroner’s offices with few resources, Dr. Press said. They are often just as skeptical of the technique, she said, as they are of the psychics who frequently call with tips on open cases: “For many of them it’s in the same category — do I call the psychic back or the genealogist back?

Very interesting article about Newton county Does.

To Solve 3 Cold Cases, This Small County Got a DNA Crash Course

The DNA Doe Project, run by Dr. Press and dozens of volunteers, has taken on about 120 cases since 2017, and has fielded inquiries from another 200 or so. Many were from small sheriff’s or coroner’s offices with few resources, Dr. Press said. They are often just as skeptical of the technique, she said, as they are of the psychics who frequently call with tips on open cases: “For many of them it’s in the same category — do I call the psychic back or the genealogist back?
It also states they are trying to get a new kit for Adam Doe. Fingers crossed that leads to an ID!

La Vergne Jane Doe has had a jump and is now at 129. Pulaski County Jane Doe also had a minuscule jump and is at 273.6 now.
I hope La Veregne JD will be identified soon, she has good matches. She is biracial, half African American and half Caucasian (Spanish), interesting if her matches are from both sides..

Last edited:
I doubt she's biracial in the clasical sense. More likely an Afro-Latina (Dominican/Puerto Rican/Cuban/Brazilian) of mixed descent, like most of them are.
I would think so, the only doubt is her high matches, I don't know how popular Gedmatch is in these countries ... She should be American in a few generations (from Dominican/Cuban/Puerto Rican/ Brazilian ancestry)

Last edited:
The DDP has put out another public announcement about Ventura County Jane Doe:

"We have been diligently working on this case for over two years. Due to the lack of close matches and endogamy in the ancestral trees of her DNA cousins and complications related to tracing the migration of persons from Mexico to the United States we still haven’t identified her immediate family.

Our team has had some success in identifying common ancestors between Ventura County Jane Doe, and her DNA cousins. Although we have found connections, and possible surnames and geographic locations of interest, these DNA cousins are very distant, and therefore we still haven’t been able to reach her identity. This is where you can help! Please Share and upload and opt-in at GEDmatch.com and FTDNA

Our previous update on this case focused on the following five regions of interest, from where different lines of her ancestry originate:

* Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (The Mexican states of Coahuila, Tamaulipas, and Nuevo Leon)
*Central Mexico (The Mexican States of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and San Luis Potosí),
* Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado,
* Indigenous California
* Guatemala
She may have also had a more distant connection to England, Ireland, and/or French Canada.
We believe that the father of her unborn child is from Choluteca, Honduras, and either he or one of his biological parents have the surname Baca,
One area where we have made significant progress is her ancestral connection to the Mexican state of Zacatecas (in our Central Mexico cluster). We strongly believe that one line of her ancestry originates from the small community of La Blanca, Bajio de la Tesorera (in a city now named General Pánfilo Natera). We believe that two of her direct ancestors are a couple named Ponciano Montellano (born about 1823) and Feliciana Rojas (born about 1824). Ponciano and Feliciana had six daughters (Paula, Martina, Maria Refugio, Catarina, Albina, and Antonia) and one son (Gabriel). Several of their descendants have migrated to the United States, particularly in the El Paso Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Southern California areas. Martina Montellano-Solis died in 1861 during childbirth of her only child – a daughter named Bernardina.
Some common surnames among other descendants of the Montellano family who have migrated to the United States are: Aleman, Alvarez (or Alvarado), Arizmendi, Betancourt, Campos, Cuevas, Hernandez, Lara, Lira, Ortiz, Parga, Payan, Ramirez, Salazar, Sustayta, and Villareal.

As of May 5, 2021 we have a couple of matches greater than 100 cM. Those matches have extremely endogamous families and are likely 4th cousins or more distant.

Links to More Information:

This does make me wonder about the progress of Apache Junction, Kings County and St. Tammany Parish JD's, as they were listed before Ventura County. I wonder if they're closing in on some leads or just aren't at liberty to say where they are; maybe the counties don't want that information public yet.

This does make me wonder about the progress of Apache Junction, Kings County and St. Tammany Parish JD's, as they were listed before Ventura County. I wonder if they're closing in on some leads or just aren't at liberty to say where they are; maybe the counties don't want that information public yet.
There was an update on Apache Junction JD about a year ago, it contained the geographical areas and families she is linked to. After the Gedmatch changes she got a few very promising matches, so may be I am too optimistic but I hope she either has been identified or the DDP team is close to identify her. But in regards to Kings co Jane Doe and St Tammany JN I am also wondering if there will be any appeal to public, I think if St Tammany is Greek it can be worth spreading it in the Greek community of Louisiana.

The DDP has put out another public announcement about Ventura County Jane Doe:

"We have been diligently working on this case for over two years. Due to the lack of close matches and endogamy in the ancestral trees of her DNA cousins and complications related to tracing the migration of persons from Mexico to the United States we still haven’t identified her immediate family.

Our team has had some success in identifying common ancestors between Ventura County Jane Doe, and her DNA cousins. Although we have found connections, and possible surnames and geographic locations of interest, these DNA cousins are very distant, and therefore we still haven’t been able to reach her identity. This is where you can help! Please Share and upload and opt-in at GEDmatch.com and FTDNA

Our previous update on this case focused on the following five regions of interest, from where different lines of her ancestry originate:

* Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (The Mexican states of Coahuila, Tamaulipas, and Nuevo Leon)
*Central Mexico (The Mexican States of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and San Luis Potosí),
* Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado,
* Indigenous California
* Guatemala
She may have also had a more distant connection to England, Ireland, and/or French Canada.
We believe that the father of her unborn child is from Choluteca, Honduras, and either he or one of his biological parents have the surname Baca,
One area where we have made significant progress is her ancestral connection to the Mexican state of Zacatecas (in our Central Mexico cluster). We strongly believe that one line of her ancestry originates from the small community of La Blanca, Bajio de la Tesorera (in a city now named General Pánfilo Natera). We believe that two of her direct ancestors are a couple named Ponciano Montellano (born about 1823) and Feliciana Rojas (born about 1824). Ponciano and Feliciana had six daughters (Paula, Martina, Maria Refugio, Catarina, Albina, and Antonia) and one son (Gabriel). Several of their descendants have migrated to the United States, particularly in the El Paso Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Southern California areas. Martina Montellano-Solis died in 1861 during childbirth of her only child – a daughter named Bernardina.
Some common surnames among other descendants of the Montellano family who have migrated to the United States are: Aleman, Alvarez (or Alvarado), Arizmendi, Betancourt, Campos, Cuevas, Hernandez, Lara, Lira, Ortiz, Parga, Payan, Ramirez, Salazar, Sustayta, and Villareal.

As of May 5, 2021 we have a couple of matches greater than 100 cM. Those matches have extremely endogamous families and are likely 4th cousins or more distant.

Links to More Information:

On the update from DNA Doe on March 27, 2020 it was said one of the surnames was “Sustaita” I notice now the name is being spelled “Sustayta”. I wonder why the change in spelling? This stands out to me because I know of a family who lived not far from the location where she was allegedly picked up hitchhiking who had that last name but spelled it the first way.

On the update from DNA Doe on March 27, 2020 it was said one of the surnames was “Sustaita” I notice now the name is being spelled “Sustayta”. I wonder why the change in spelling? This stands out to me because I know of a family who lived not far from the location where she was allegedly picked up hitchhiking who had that last name but spelled it the first way.
May be you can ask Carl on the Ventura co Jane Doe thread, I think he is working on her case (I think he can be a team leader for her case). But indeed I find it strange that the spelling is different

I have noticed that the pin post has not been updated, Bowmanville Jane Doe 2006 is still not listed, but Kern co JN 1980 is listed twice: in Active and solved cases and number of announced identified cases is now 41 (it still says 39). I think the DDP has a busy time!

I have noticed that the pin post has not been updated, Bowmanville Jane Doe 2006 is still not listed, but Kern co JN 1980 is listed twice: in Active and solved cases and number of announced identified cases is now 41 (it still says 39). I think the DDP has a busy time!
As much as I hope the project takes on more cases, I do hope more folks get identified to kinda ease their work load, since they're literally investigating over 50 cases at the moment.

As much as I hope the project takes on more cases, I do hope more folks get identified to kinda ease their work load, since they're literally investigating over 50 cases at the moment.
I think it should be a bit less cases in Active genealogical research (if at least 10 are solved) should be around 40 active cases and 17 in sequencing, but I agree it is a lot!
By the way, the pin post has been updated, thank you, the DDP team!

Lots of cases seem to be stuck in sequencing for several months now as well. Hoping there is some movement in that regard soon for some of those!

Also wondering if there'll be some sort of update on Vernon County Jane Doe too. Her matches seem to have been consistently low, wondering if she may have been a recent immigrant.

New article on Ventura Jane Doe
New information could help identify Ventura County Jane Doe | KGET 17
New information could help identify Ventura County Jane Doe
HOMICIDE NEWS
Posted: May 10, 2021 / 01:38 PM PDT / Updated: May 10, 2021 / 01:39 PM PDT
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — Hers was one of three lives cut short, but while her killer is already sitting in prison, it’s her identity that remains a mystery.

In Murdered and Forgotten, KGET-17 examined the cases of two mothers killed by convicted murderer Wilson Chouest. One victim was found in Kern County, at an orchard near Delano. The other, a young pregnant woman found dead in a high school parking lot in Westlake Village in Ventura County. Both women had been killed just days apart in 1980. The name of one victim has been revealed, but it’s the murdered mother and her unborn child who are still waiting to be identified.

On May 5 the DNA Doe Project, the volunteer organization working both cases, released a list of surnames and locations that can hopefully help them return her name.

“I hope that somebody maybe realizes that it could be a family member,” said Stacey Mitchell, the DNA Doe Project’s team leader for the Ventura Case. “Or that they have those locations in their family tree or they have some names in their family tree, because we don’t have any close matches on her, we don’t have any first cousins or second cousins. “

The victim was about 5 months pregnant when she was murdered. According to the update, it’s possible the biological father is from Choluteca, Honduras, and that he or his parents had the surname “Baca.”

Researchers identified 5 regions of interest from the mother’s ancestry: Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico, in the states of Coahuila, Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon; Central Mexico, in the states of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and San Luis Potosi; Northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado, “Indigenous California,” and Guatemala.

For Zacatecas in particular, the DNA Doe Project update says researchers “strongly believe” a line of her ancestry comes from La Blanca, Bajio de la Tesorera, which is now a city named General Panfilo Natero. The project lists possible ancestors as a couple named Ponciano Montellano and Feliciana Rojas, both born in the early 1820’s. The couple had six daughters and a son with several descendants that migrated to the US, especially Southern California, El Paso, Texas, and the states of Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.

KCSO announces 1980 cold case victim has been identified [/paste:font]
Surnames linked back to the Montellano family include Aleman, Alvarez or Alvarado, Arizmendi, Betancourt, Campos, Cuevas, Hernandez, Lara, Lira, Ortiz, Parga, Payan, Ramirez, Salazar, Sustayta, and Villareal.

If any of those sound familiar, the DNA Doe Project encourages you to upload your DNA information the websites GEDmatch.com or Family Tree DNA, which allow genealogists compare results for matches.

The Ventura County Cold Case Task Force said in 2013 they believe the victim could be from Kern County or the San Fernando Valley. She may have been hitchhiking near College of the Sequoias in Visalia before being abducted and then killed by Chouest.

Chouest was convicted in 2018 for her murder and the murder of Shirley Ann Soosay, based on his own DNA. Soosay was identified in February 2020. The discovery was made public in April by an announcement from the Kern County Sheriff’s Office on Crime Victims’ Rights Week.

Shirley-Soosay.png

Shirley Soosay, who was publicly identified by the Kern County Sheriff’s Office in March 2021.
It’s an example of why the public outreach is important. Soosay’s ancestry lies with the Samson Cree Nation in Canada. The case’s team leader Gina Wrather said it was the first time she had worked to identify an Indigenous woman, and the team “had a smaller pool” to work from because of underrepresented genetic information and lack of written records in databases.

“As the research went on we were able to narrow down the idea that this Jane Doe we were looking at had parents who were both from one town in Canada,” said Wrather, “So in February [2020] we decided to go public with that information and target the communities in Alberta hoping someone would recognize her.”

Soosay’s niece Violet had been searching for answers about her aunt for 40 years and had already tested her DNA on Ancestry, according to Wrather. But it wasn’t until Soosay came across the Facebook post that she shared the info on GEDmatch and helped them confirm Shirley’s identity. Wrather said it was an emotional moment.

“Any time we work these cases we get pretty involved and emotionally invested in these cases,” said Wrather. “It was just a very emotional thing when we finally found her.”

The DNA Doe Project, made up of 55 volunteers, has been involved in identifying over 45 victims and Media Director Franchesca Werden says they have “about 70” other cases in progress. You can find more information about their work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong