Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how the law works with this but if his bobcat had Suzanne’s DNA on it or blood, would they have released it back to Barry? Or would it stay in evidence until the trial. Or do they swab it and once done, they release it back to Barry not knowing the results.

In the phone interview with Lauren Scharf BM said something along the lines of:
The police have nothing, the only thing that's come up is that I changed the bobcat attachment and told them the wrong date.

Does anyone remember or have the link from possibly the "phone" interview?

ETA: See link below for exact quote and article.

Last edited:
Would the chlorine aid in covering up the scent of a decomposing body if the body was placed inside an ice chest or something similar to confuse or throw dogs off? I’ve not followed enough cases to know the answer. I know chlorine can actually slow down decomposition.
Chlorine - Wikipedia
I was thinking more along the lines that it might have been spilled on the nearby land en route to the burial site, on it and around it.. humans wouldn't pick up the scent after the wind got it but it could still possibly mask a track or a grave surround. It's really all down to how well the dog is trained and we don't know how proficient any of those dogs were..
Need expert opinion on this.

Apologies if it was already posted, but this is a pretty good article. It's so heartbreaking to me that Melinda (and I'm sure others) had to stay quiet about Suzanne for the last year bc they were scared of Barry! I think we are going to find out some details pretty soon that prove BM to be evil as hell.

Missing mom Suzanne Morphew's family puzzles over her fate

Her sister thinks money might be behind the mysterious disappearance.

“I think life happens, I think pressures and stresses in life, I think financial pressure bears in on people very heavily,” Melinda Moorman told CBS4 Denver. “It creates an atmosphere of discontent and strife and sometimes living beyond your means is a very hard thing to do.”

“Learning to be content with what you have is a very powerful thing in this life, and it brings great peace, and I don’t think Barry and Suzanne had gotten there yet,” Moorman continued. “That’s what I think kinda happened and I can’t really say more than that.”

Chaffee County jail visits are done by video only either at the jail or home when approved. If anyone is interested in Barry’s jail stay rules while incarcerated such as visits, commissary packages etc here’s the link. I hope he will enjoy his new home until trial unless he’s bonded out which I highly doubt being a flight risk and charged with first degree murder. He still hasn’t been officially charged I think the DA has 7 days from arrest.

Detentions Information - Chaffee County Sheriff

The police have nothing, the only thing that's come up is that I changed the bobcat attachment and told them the wrong date.

Found it:
'It was only because I didn't know the time that I did something, a mechanical thing, to my bobcat,' he stated.

Daily Mail article:
Brother of missing Suzanne Morphew pleads with her husband to take a lie detector test | Daily Mail Online

Howwwww did I miss this news? FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!

subscribe to websleuths "breaking news thread". i catch so much from old cases by following that specific thread as many old cases turn into new threads that I don't see. MOO

That is how I knew

Last edited:
Would the chlorine aid in covering up the scent of a decomposing body if the body was placed inside an ice chest or something similar to confuse or throw dogs off? I’ve not followed enough cases to know the answer. I know chlorine can actually slow down decomposition.
Chlorine - Wikipedia
I've searched for studies about whether or not bleach covers the smell of decomp for cadaver dogs but can't find any. I've only found studies to find out whether or not dogs can still smell blood or decomp on material from clothing after it's been washed 1-5 times.

Basically they found cadaver dogs have a high accuracy rate after the piece of clothing was washed once, but it goes down after several washes. (They used common household detergent.)

I don't know about a hard surface compared to other material, but I would think the bleach smell would dissipate faster than the smell of decomposition.

BM may have used bleach in the house to clean up blood or cover up the smell of a dead body, but I doubt it would have destroyed all the evidence. I think LE can usually tell if a crime scene has been wiped down.

I guess it's also possible he might have used chlorine or muriatic acid to pour over the body, (if he buried it) thinking it would break down tissue or destroy DNA evidence, or cover up the smell. Imo

Apologies if it was already posted, but this is a pretty good article. It's so heartbreaking to me that Melinda (and I'm sure others) had to stay quiet about Suzanne for the last year bc they were scared of Barry! I think we are going to find out some details pretty soon that prove BM to be evil as hell.

Missing mom Suzanne Morphew's family puzzles over her fate

Her sister thinks money might be behind the mysterious disappearance.

“I think life happens, I think pressures and stresses in life, I think financial pressure bears in on people very heavily,” Melinda Moorman told CBS4 Denver. “It creates an atmosphere of discontent and strife and sometimes living beyond your means is a very hard thing to do.”

“Learning to be content with what you have is a very powerful thing in this life, and it brings great peace, and I don’t think Barry and Suzanne had gotten there yet,” Moorman continued. “That’s what I think kinda happened and I can’t really say more than that.”
Melinda Moorman has spoken out for Suzanne in a way we rarely see. She said she still loves Barry regardless of what he has done and is encouraging him to confess. Will that happen? Time will tell I suppose. I'm 50/50 on that right now, and considering that a complete loss of control in his life while in jail, and the prospect of a trial where all his dirty laundry will be aired, may make a difference. Appearances seem to mean a lot to him.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Andy? Neither CM nor MK have even mentioned his name that I've heard?

ETA: See link below for exact quote and article.
Lauren Scharf phone interviews but I can’t find the exact wording you asked for.
Barry starts speaking at the 5:25 mark

And again

I've searched for studies about whether or not bleach covers the smell of decomp for cadaver dogs but can't find any. I've only found studies to find out whether or not dogs can still smell blood or decomp on material from clothing after it's been washed 1-5 times.

Basically they found cadaver dogs have a high accuracy rate after the piece of clothing was washed once, but it goes down after several washes. (They used common household detergent.)

I don't know about a hard surface compared to other material, but I would think the bleach smell would dissipate faster than the smell of decomposition.

BM may have used bleach in the house to clean up blood or cover up the smell of a dead body, but I doubt it would have destroyed all the evidence. I think LE can usually tell if a crime scene has been wiped down.

I guess it's also possible he might have used chlorine or muriatic acid to pour over the body, (if he buried it) thinking it would break down tissue or destroy DNA evidence, or cover up the smell. Imo
Thank you so much. It’s complicated for me as a novice understanding all the dealings with dogs and scents.

Melinda Moorman has spoken out for Suzanne in a way we rarely see. She said she still loves Barry regardless of what he has done and is encouraging him to confess. Will that happen? Time will tell I suppose. I'm 50/50 on that right now, and considering that a complete loss of control in his life while in jail, and the prospect of a trial where all his dirty laundry will be aired, may make a difference. Appearances seem to mean a lot to him.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Andy? Neither CM nor MK have even mentioned his name that I've heard?
I'm guessing that right now is a sensitive time for the investigation. Gentle nudges toward coming clean are more likely to be considered. If AM said anything, that would compel resistance.

It's worth the effort and I admire the patience of all involved. I'm sure it is driven by love for Suzanne and hope that she can be recovered. They have my prayers toward that end.

I'm wondering about something. If a body is placed into an ice chest, immediately after death and before decomposition begins, ice chest sealed and removed from the house immediately....would there be traces cadaverine at all?
There are cases of bodies located in freezers, not discovered for a long time.

There are also cases where a body is sealed into a wall....for example the case of a lab worker/student killed by another lab worker at a university some years ago. Dogs did not detect, neither did any surveillance show she left the building, an she was eventually discovered inside a wall.
Also another case of a woman vanishing in my area...who was also found in the wall of the apartment a year or so later. Her roommate who killed her was never located.

eta. not that I consider Suzanne still being in the house...just examples of bodies not being detected.

Apparently it was in the home too though, according to Suzanne's brother as far as I remember. The smell of bleach. I THINK but could be mistaken that he said that on the Dr Phil interview.
The scenario you paint re motel makes perfect sense on it's own but if it's a fact that both places smelled of bleach it's a different matter.
This dude was allegedly a fan of true crime... he should have known.
I was searching earlier in forensics for strong smelling chemicals used to dissolve human remains that could be masked by chlorine.. Search is too broad for success.
I know this is crazy but what if there was a place that did alkaline hydrolysis nearby and SM was placed inside another animal. Would anyone check or know? Is that a type of thing you can do on your own? What if someone had access to a business that did that? Just thinking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname