CT - Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, Newtown, 2012

Newtown parents score a win in growing fight against hoaxers

Jun 18, 2019

"HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The father of a victim of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre has won a defamation lawsuit against the authors of a book that claimed the shooting never happened — the latest victory for victims’ relatives who have been taking a more aggressive stance against conspiracy theorists.

The book, “Nobody Died at Sandy Hook,” has also been pulled from shelves to settle claims against its publisher filed by Lenny Pozner, whose 6-year-old son Noah was killed in the shooting...

A Wisconsin judge issued a summary judgment Monday against authors James Fetzer and Mike Palacek, a ruling that was separate from the settlement between Pozner and the book’s publisher. A trial to decide damages has been set for October.

Pozner has been pushing back for years against hoaxers who have harassed him, subjected him to death threats and claimed that he was an actor and his son never existed. He has spent years getting Facebook and others to remove conspiracy videos and set up a website to debunk conspiracy theories....

Wisconsin’s Dane County Circuit Judge Frank Remington ruled Monday that Pozner had been defamed by Fetzer and Palacek, whose book claimed, among other things, that Noah’s death certificate had been faked, according to Pozner’s lawyer, Jake Zimmerman.

“If Mr. Fetzer wants to believe that Sandy Hook never happened and that we are all crisis actors, even that my son never existed, he has the right to be wrong. But he doesn’t have the right to broadcast those beliefs if they defame me or harass me,” Pozner said. “He doesn’t have the right to use my baby’s image or our name as a marketing ploy to raise donations or sell his products. He doesn’t have the right to convince others to hunt my family.”...

A redacted copy of the actual death certificate is attached to Pozner’s lawsuit. Additionally, Pozner has had DNA samples taken and compared with those provided by the Connecticut medical examiner to prove that Noah was his son. He has put Noah’s birth certificate, report cards and medical records into the public file in his legal actions...."

Newtown parents score a win in growing fight against hoaxers

694940094001_5813706076001_5813707969001-vs.jpg

(Noah Pozner)

Sandy Hook parents lose state court appeal against Newtown over school shooting

JULY 12, 2019

"(Reuters) - A Connecticut state appeals court has rejected an appeal by the parents of two shooting victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre to hold the town of Newtown and its school district liable.

While calling the case “undeniably tragic,” the appeals court ruled 3-0 on Friday against the parents of Jesse Lewis and Noah Pozner, and agreed with a lower court judge that governmental immunity shielded the defendants....."

Sandy Hook parents lose state court appeal against Newtown over school shooting - Reuters

While there are many things we can do in different venues to improve security and decrease access by people meaning harm to us, I still firmly believe that you cannot control for the lone nut.

I agree, and in this case there was a tremendous amount of grooming this kid, looking the other way, enabling behaviors, etc. So much led up to a horrible tragedy.

-FD

I agree, and in this case there was a tremendous amount of grooming this kid, looking the other way, enabling behaviors, etc. So much led up to a horrible tragedy.

-FD

I still think about and discuss this case, possibly because Newtown is about 20 minutes away and I have a son with Adam's diagnosis. The only thing that would have stopped him that day is another person armed with a weapon. The time to "stop" this had long passed by 12/14/2012.

I occasionaly come across Find a grave memorials of the Sandy Hook victiums.....

I still think about and discuss this case, possibly because Newtown is about 20 minutes away and I have a son with Adam's diagnosis. The only thing that would have stopped him that day is another person armed with a weapon. The time to "stop" this had long passed by 12/14/2012.
But they do not stop them. They hide with the others.

Experts say the meat of the lawsuit against Remington Arms is in how they marketed the firearm: "knowingly marketed and promoted the Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle for use in assaults against human beings”, apparently a violation of Connecticut’s fair trade laws.

It could be a potent approach; this is how big tobacco was taken down- first by marketing cigarettes as healthy- and to yourh- then by inserting addictive additives.

I’d like to see ads for Remington’s Bushmaster rifle, pre 2012, to see what the plaintiff’s are referring to, but can’t find one anywhere. Are they all pulled? Anyone? Please link if you find an example.

Also curious if a fall 2021 trial is still realistic with all the Covid delays & backlogs.

I can’t imagine losing a child like this, but to then deal with NINE YEARS of legal battle in the aftermath? From defamation to wrongful death to harassment? No one should EVER have to cope with that level of ongoing trauma. Prayers forever for these families.

Supreme Court Allows Sandy Hook Families' Case Against Remington Arms To Proceed

But they do not stop them. They hide with the others.

Not certain what you mean. My opinion is he would have had to have come face to face with another armed individual when he shot through those windows to stop him that day. That armed individual may have had to shoot him. I do not believe he intended to leave the school alive.

Experts say the meat of the lawsuit against Remington Arms is in how they marketed the firearm: "knowingly marketed and promoted the Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle for use in assaults against human beings”, apparently a violation of Connecticut’s fair trade laws.

It could be a potent approach; this is how big tobacco was taken down- first by marketing cigarettes as healthy- and to yourh- then by inserting addictive additives.

I’d like to see ads for Remington’s Bushmaster rifle, pre 2012, to see what the plaintiff’s are referring to, but can’t find one anywhere. Are they all pulled? Anyone? Please link if you find an example.

Also curious if a fall 2021 trial is still realistic with all the Covid delays & backlogs.

I can’t imagine losing a child like this, but to then deal with NINE YEARS of legal battle in the aftermath? From defamation to wrongful death to harassment? No one should EVER have to cope with that level of ongoing trauma. Prayers forever for these families.

Supreme Court Allows Sandy Hook Families' Case Against Remington Arms To Proceed
I think this trial is ridiculous, it's like suing Ford for a drunk driver. Remington Bushmaster ads have never featured mass murdering. I've seen enough of them in the past 30 odd years. Those guns are designed and marketed to the majority of gun buyers, and that is law abiding Americans. Why would any gun manufacturer alienate the vast majority of customers to target the most repulsive people in society- violent murderers?

I think this trial is ridiculous, it's like suing Ford for a drunk driver. Remington Bushmaster ads have never featured mass murdering. I've seen enough of them in the past 30 odd years. Those guns are designed and marketed to the majority of gun buyers, and that is law abiding Americans. Why would any gun manufacturer alienate the vast majority of customers to target the most repulsive people in society- violent murderers?

Agree completely.

Is anyone filing suit against the mental health system that let the Lanza family -- and the residents of Sandy Hook -- down???

Hhhhmmm, no perceived deep pocket, so no lawsuit?

jmho ymmv lrr

Agree completely.

Is anyone filing suit against the mental health system that let the Lanza family -- and the residents of Sandy Hook -- down???

Hhhhmmm, no perceived deep pocket, so no lawsuit?

jmho ymmv lrr

I believe it would be an extremely interesting case, but many would not like it if the verdict said the mental health system system wasn't responsible. I predict there is a high chance of that happening.

It's all about money, unfortunately.

Yes, and if the Lanzas had had more, they may have been able to arrange a private, secure location for their now-adult son. Or hire a lawyer able to establish guardianship.

Our courts need to responsibly acknowledge mental health problems:

St. Louis County police officer killed in South County; teen faces murder charge

This shooter suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident at age 14. He was in & out of mental health facilities for several years. His Dad filed for guardianship, which was denied.

Forster turned 18, checked himself out of Lindberg High School, stopped taking prescriptions & keeping appointments, and killed Blake Snyder.

Forster is still in prison:

Court rejects appeal from man who killed St. Louis County officer Blake Snyder

If his Dad had been named guardian, we probably would never have heard of Trenton Forster or Blake Snyder.

If either of the Lanzas had been named Adam's guardian -- we probably would never have heard of Sandy Hook, Connecticut or of Lanza.

I'm for protecting individual rights, certainly.

There must be a balance, however, with public safety.

Seems rather off-balance here, IMHO.

jmho ymmv lrr

Infowars host Alex Jones has now lost 3 Sandy Hook school massacre defamation suits

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones may have to pay a fortune in damages to the parents of two children killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre after he failed to produce evidence to back up lies he spread calling the 2012 shooting a “giant hoax,” according to court documents unsealed Thursday.

A Texas judge issued a default judgment to the Infowars host for two defamation lawsuits filed by the parents in 2018 against Jones and his right-wing outlet.

Jones “intentionally disobeyed” court orders to turn over documentation related to the lawsuits, Judge Maya Guerra Gamble wrote, ruling that Jones and his company are liable for all damages.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back