Found Deceased IN - Kyrin Carter, 12, has autism, walked away from Best Western Hotel, Hammond, 15 May 2021

This is heartbreaking. I don’t have anything insightful to add, my Heart goes out to his parents.

I looked a map of the area to see where my son would go, does anyone know if they’ve searched to the west? There are semi truck trailers parked there and looks like maybe some storage containers.

The water terrifies me.

It seems like they've had people searching all over based on the FB group posts :(

I know his father believes he was abducted because he hasn’t been located, and I understand him feeling that way. And it’s not to say that Kyrin couldn’t have met up with trouble after he ran off, but I really believe this is just him being somewhere that hasn’t been searched yet, not foul play.
My heart hurts when I think of him and I see that water so close by. I pray he is found and brought home...safely but also otherwise.
Moo

I, too hope that whatever happened, it was Kyrin's decision to leave and go wherever he went.
Yeah, me too b/c my heart can't take the pain from anymore precious little ones taken too soon at the hands of strangers or supposed "loved ones". Come on, Kyrin, be part of a miracle waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Yeah, me too b/c my heart can't take the pain from anymore precious little ones taken too soon at the hands of strangers or supposed "loved ones". Come on, Kyren, be part of a miracle waiting to happen.

Dear YaYa_521,

It's always a good day for a miracle.

Praying along with others that Kyrin is found safe and sound.

There is always hope.

One of his family members posted asking for a large group of volunteers to help look, as they believe that they found another footprint. I'm not local to that area but it seems they need a bunch of people to be able to cover that area. Hoping they find him

One of his family members posted asking for a large group of volunteers to help look, as they believe that they found another footprint. I'm not local to that area but it seems they need a bunch of people to be able to cover that area. Hoping they find him

I am originally from that area. While the family is asking for volunteers, the local authorities are asking volunteers to refrain from following those leads. You can't really tell from Google maps, but next to the river is a swamp and the mud there is several feet deep. Law enforcement does not want the public to put themselves in danger.

I am originally from that area. While the family is asking for volunteers, the local authorities are asking volunteers to refrain from following those leads. You can't really tell from Google maps, but next to the river is a swamp and the mud there is several feet deep. Law enforcement does not want the public to put themselves in danger.

That makes sense. I was hoping that any volunteers were coordinating with LE but it seems very scattered/unorganized.

That makes sense. I was hoping that any volunteers were coordinating with LE but it seems very scattered/unorganized.

The LE is asking volunteers to keep out of dangerous areas along the river, but they are encouraging volunteers to organize and canvass nearby neighborhoods. The search the family was referring to was at a Prairie that is wooded with only SOME marshy areas. The one problem with that, is there is very little chance Kyrin walked from his hotel to this prairie without a single person or camera seeing him. He would have had to have walked the downtown area for a town called Highland, as well as Kennedy Ave and past Main street which are two very well traveled roads. For absolutely no one to see him would be a statistical anomaly. But like I said before, stranger things have happened.

There was a news report of a male body being hit by a train in neighboring EC. We are waiting for updates in that case, but it is very likely not Kyrin for the same reasons I mentioned above. To get to the location the body was hit, he would have had to walk north on Kennedy Ave through a town called Hessville. But again, Kennedy is a very well traveled road. Someone would have seen him.

I'm sorry to say it, but I really feel that they will find him in the river. The Little Calumet has a history of flooding so in recent years the army corps of engineers have been building up levees and flood walls along the rivers edge. As far as I have seen, authorities have been localizing their river search to the area between Kennedy Ave and Clive ave directly behind the hotel. Perhaps in Law enforcement boated down the entire Indiana stretch of river they may have a better chance of finding him, IF he is in the river. There is a dam near Northcote Ave in Munster that would direct a swollen river to the deep tunnel drainage which is in Thornton quarry in IL. The river wasn't swollen enough to trigger that opening, but I wonder if law enforcement has searched that dam.

The LE is asking volunteers to keep out of dangerous areas along the river, but they are encouraging volunteers to organize and canvass nearby neighborhoods. The search the family was referring to was at a Prairie that is wooded with only SOME marshy areas. The one problem with that, is there is very little chance Kyrin walked from his hotel to this prairie without a single person or camera seeing him. He would have had to have walked the downtown area for a town called Highland, as well as Kennedy Ave and past Main street which are two very well traveled roads. For absolutely no one to see him would be a statistical anomaly. But like I said before, stranger things have happened.

There was a news report of a male body being hit by a train in neighboring EC. We are waiting for updates in that case, but it is very likely not Kyrin for the same reasons I mentioned above. To get to the location the body was hit, he would have had to walk north on Kennedy Ave through a town called Hessville. But again, Kennedy is a very well traveled road. Someone would have seen him.

I'm sorry to say it, but I really feel that they will find him in the river. The Little Calumet has a history of flooding so in recent years the army corps of engineers have been building up levees and flood walls along the rivers edge. As far as I have seen, authorities have been localizing their river search to the area between Kennedy Ave and Clive ave directly behind the hotel. Perhaps in Law enforcement boated down the entire Indiana stretch of river they may have a better chance of finding him, IF he is in the river. There is a dam near Northcote Ave in Munster that would direct a swollen river to the deep tunnel drainage which is in Thornton quarry in IL. The river wasn't swollen enough to trigger that opening, but I wonder if law enforcement has searched that dam.

I'm afraid he may be in the water, too. :( I just haven't seen much on the LE searches so I wasn't sure if they were still focusing on it. I know they said early on that the dogs hit on the area around the water, but that the amount of people around could have hampered the effort to follow a scent.

Thank you so much for the insight. I’m terribly afraid he’s in the river as well. It’s happened too many times in the past. My heart breaks for his family.

Oh my heart hurts.
I know there is no confirmation yet, but video of Kyrin going into the river is pretty conclusive. So very sad.
Some of the people with autism I have worked with in my 40+ years in special ed were drawn to water, without the fear that neurologically-typical folks might exhibit. The photo of Kyrin on foot in the link in the post above reminds me of the way some of my favorite folks carried themselves as they walked somewhere with a purpose, but without an awareness of what is around them, including risk and danger.
I am so sorrowful for Kyrin, his family and friends, and all who loved him.

Last edited:
Oh my heart hurts.
I know there is no confirmation yet, but video of Kyrin going into the river is pretty conclusive. So very sad.
Some of the people with autism I have worked with in my 40+ years in special ed were drawn to water, without the fear that neurologically-typical folks might exhibit. The photo of Kyrin on foot in the link in the post above reminds me of the way some of my favorite folks carried themselves as they walked somewhere with a purpose, without an awareness of what is around them, including risk and danger.
I am so sorrowful for Kyrin, his family and friends, and all who loved him.

My son has autism and has always loved water and it’s always scared me. I remember him 3 years old walking straight into the lake as deep as he could putting his face up and just standing there, just a small wave would have dragged him out. He’s always loved water, never been afraid and has given me a scare more than once. I cried after reading this latest update and begged him to never run away. My heart.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back