Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last post was closed and I am replying to the last comment back to me (sorry don't know how to move that over here just yet).. I guess we need to hear more about her injuries and it sounds like the ME will be testifying Monday.. but if he stabbed her many times, I would expect more blood in the trunk than what was there unless he really knows how to clean it all up. All scenarios make me just so sad for her. Either way she had to be terrified.

I was wondering about that too - not much blood in the trunk, multiple stab wounds, carried over his shoulder to the cornfield, clothing strewn around. Perhaps she was hit in the head and bled from that injury in his trunk - leaving blood on the fishing rod grip. He carried her into the cornfield and perhaps there was a struggle, or did he toss her clothing into the corn? I think that is where she was stabbed.

As for the underwear being found 34 feet away from her remains----
It may be that the defense will claim the undies came off when she was being dragged——but I don’t think that will save him from LWOP. Just the fact that he was dragging her to the dump site should be enough to lock him up for life—-proven rape or not.

If she was stabbed in the cornfield, would the blood evidence have dissipated into the ground before it was searched for forensics?

It wasn't very long between the murder and the body discovered, was it? Several days?

But perhaps long enough for blood to seep into the dirt?

ETA---Pommy corrected it to ONE MONTH....so plenty of time for the blood to seep into the fertile soil, IMO

Last edited:
Guess we will hear about his phone, and if his phone was near MT's during these times, especially when MT's phone ceased working.
Or will we find, this jerk conveniently did not carry his phone.
?? also if his phone in his car during these times?

Phones are what linked Mackenzie Lueck’s murderer to her. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the same were to be applied to this case. Phones seem to be the major undoing of many wanna be murderers in today’s world. As far as I’m concerned let their own stupidity of digital footprints condemn them. This case is frustrating. The wait just to get to trial has been long enough. The wait for justice to be served still remains….we all know this guy is guilty as sin. Still….we wait….some more.

The defense may have torched their own case by using video of their client in those hours the judge had ruled inadmissible to try and show how tired CBR was and therefore falsely confessed. The prosecution, properly I think, argued the defense had opened the door to those hours and the damaging testimony with the confession. The judge agreed with the prosecution although he said he might change his mind. If that ruling stands, the prosecution should be able to demolish any defense arguments.
Yes, this claim of 'false confession' seems so off. I totally understand that suspects can be goaded into false confessions. But in those instances, they end up giving false information because they don't really know anything, other than what the detectives feed them.

But this guy led the cops to her body, which was very well hidden. So this confession was not 'false.' He may have been tired, hungry and pressured. But it was a true admission of fact.

Calling it a 'false' confession must be bugging the jurors as well. They are not stupid. And this defense team is treating them like they are dumbbells...JMO

Last edited:
I was wondering about that too - not much blood in the trunk, multiple stab wounds, carried over his shoulder to the cornfield, clothing strewn around. Perhaps she was hit in the head and bled from that injury in his trunk - leaving blood on the fishing rod grip. He carried her into the cornfield and perhaps there was a struggle, or did he toss her clothing into the corn? I think that is where she was stabbed.
I do too. I think there was a sexual assault and then the stabbing. moo
I too wonder why he hasn't been charged with kidnapping also.
She most certainly didn't climb in the trunk of his car willingly.
moo

As for the underwear being found 34 feet away from her remains----
It may be that the defense will claim the undies came off when she was being dragged——but I don’t think that will save him from LWOP. Just the fact that he was dragging her to the dump site should be enough to lock him up for life—-proven rape or not.
BBM

I thought about this too and it might fly (it would still be a stretch) if she wasn't found with her shoes on. But her shorts AND underwear came off over her running shoes? No way. MOO
If she was stabbed in the cornfield, would the blood evidence have dissipated into the ground before it was searched for forensics?

It wasn't very long between the murder and the body discovered, was it? Several days?

She was missing just over a month. Found Aug 21, 2018.

Last edited:
MAY 21, 2021
Suppressed Confession In Killing of Mollie Tibbetts Trial | COURT TV
KILLING OF MOLLIE TIBBETTS: "I brought you here, didn't I?"

The "confession" of #CristhianBahenaRivera was deemed inadmissible in court due to a botched reading of his rights by investigators during his interrogation.

What do YOU think? Were his statements about the killing of #MollieTibbets legally obtained?

New Disturbing Details Uncovered in Court in the Killing of Mollie Tibbetts | COURT TV
Forensic investigators testified to what was discovered at the crime scene, showing graphic photos to the jury.

Regarding the blood evidence in the car, I'm guessing that she had a head injury - enough to cause bleeding. Did he have a tire iron, or something else equally lethal, as a weapon?Link

upload_2021-5-21_23-40-52.png

Curious about the illuminated stains - is there more blood in the head area, was there a trail of blood when she was put in the trunk of the car?

upload_2021-5-21_23-45-55.png

BBM

I thought about this too and it might fly (it would still be a stretch) if she wasn't found with her shoes on. But her shorts AND underwear came off over her running shoes? No way. MOO

She was missing just over a month. Found Aug 21, 2018.
Okay Good, thank you Pommy, for talking me off the ledge...lol

MAYBE baggy running shorts could slip off over running shoes, but not panties, no way.

I didn't realise it had been a whole month. :(....but that answers my question further. Blood absolutely would have seeped into the ground in that fertile soil. And they had to be watering those crops.

Going from memory, but wasn't there a heavy rain around the time that she was found? That would eliminate all blood evidence from the scene.

Phones are what linked Mackenzie Lueck’s murderer to her. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the same were to be applied to this case. Phones seem to be the major undoing of many wanna be murderers in today’s world. As far as I’m concerned let their own stupidity of digital footprints condemn them. This case is frustrating. The wait just to get to trial has been long enough. The wait for justice to be served still remains….we all know this guy is guilty as sin. Still….we wait….some more.

Her Fitbit was synced. It recorded her heart rate, which indicated the time that she was abducted and, shortly afterward, killed.

I do too. I think there was a sexual assault and then the stabbing. moo
I too wonder why he hasn't been charged with kidnapping also.
She most certainly didn't climb in the trunk of his car willingly.
moo

Her black shorts, striped underwear and pink head band were in different directions from her body. That leaves me thinking that she had a serious head injury and was bleeding when he carried her into the corn field. He may have let her go, knowing that she couldn't get far given the bleeding. Is that why her clothing are spread around the area? Was it a Gary Hilton moment of chasing/hunting a weakened opponent?

Sometimes the most serious charge is applied, lesser charges are dropped because a conviction for the lesser charges is served concurrently, or makes no difference to the verdict. Her blood is in the trunk of his car. He was alone when that happened. Those facts are established / admitted. He led police to the location where her body was found 5 weeks later. Second or First Degree Murder charges apply, both of which include kidnapping. I don't know about State Law - is it typically a concurrent sentence when it results in murder?

Thinking about his story - she allegedly waved at him while she was jogging, he was circling her with his car, next they were talking to each other, she was going to call police, her ear buds are in his car, she was bleeding and in the trunk of his car.

How does the cemetery factor in - is that where she was abducted, or was she assaulted first at that location. I was never clear on that point. I thought she was abducted fairly close to the CCTV house, so how does the cemetery fit into the scenario. Is that where her Fitbit pinged with a high heart rate?

Mollie's Fitbit has been the story from the beginning, particularly heart rate - as it most likely corresponds to the exact times that she was most threatened. This provides a timeline of her abduction, assault and murder.

screen-shot-2018-08-14-at-12-12-11-pm-1534263207.png

"While details about the leads remain scarce, there is one new kind of data that might end up playing an important role: The Iowa law enforcement agencies have been working with the FBI to use her Fitbit and social media data to look for clues. They’ve been tight-lipped about what information they’re using, but Rahn said they’re trying to find any information that’s relevant to the case.

“We’re trying to use all avenues and techniques to locate Mollie, including any devices she might have, such as the Fitbit, as well as social media outlets,” he told Runner’s World by phone.

In Iowa, law enforcement agencies can use personal data from devices based on family consent, search warrants, and subpoenas. Most other states allow law enforcement officials to use data based on consent and search warrants as well, while some restrict using subpoenas to obtain information. The FBI declined to comment on “specific tools or techniques utilized in criminal investigations,” including this case.

But this isn’t the first time where law enforcement agencies and forensics teams have used smart device data to gain insight on things like GPS locations, heart rate data, steps, and other kinds of activity."
Mollie Tibbetts Disappearance - Fitbit Data in Investigations

I wonder whether the long video clip we watched this morning, where he was fooling around with his phone and taking bites of his sandwich, was him texting friends claiming that he was picked up on immigration and asking them to tell his uncle where he was.

I doubt he was sleeping at any time during the 11 hour interview. He put his head on the table, but he is facing first degree murder charges. Even if he doesn't care about what he did to Mollie, he does care about himself - sleeping is not the state of mind I would expect from a calculating murderer.

Regarding admissibility of the 11 hour interview, was that 7-part video compilation excluded from trial since it included a confession of sorts? Something about not being read his rights quickly enough?

Today, was a portion of that video compilation presented by the Defence to make the argument that he was asleep, even though there was previous testimony from an expert who counted something like 68 instances of sleeping? Why would his defence lawyer introduce excluded video to make a point that was already made? Is this an ineffective defence counsel guilty verdict trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici