Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #135

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this intuition. What do you suppose made Carter insinuate that he would be a prominent person, and that everyone would be shocked?

This is the quote you’re referring to. The comment was speculation by Leazenby, not DC. Speculation is different than revealing inside information unless we assume LE knows who the killer is, however in the more recent Q&A he confirms he does not.

In my opinion LE should not fuel speculation by contributing to speculation because it gets interpreted as factual.

BBM
Apr/2020
Lots of tips, no arrest in 2017 double homicide | Carroll County Comet
“Leazenby stated the investigation is not “stalled.” And it has not been determined if there was one or more perpetrators.

“We go back and forth on that,” he said.

The Sheriff speculated that a perpetrator has probably been interviewed by investigators about the crime, but was not immediately recognized as a offender. He said he still believes a local, or locals, committed the crimes. Leazenby said whoever did this “knew the lay of the land.” He said when an arrest is made, which he believes will happen, community members will likely be shocked at the identity of those arrested. He said he believes the perpetrator will likely be someone who is fairly well-known in the community….”

Snipped by me....

I just wanted to point out that the statement about everyone being shocked when the killer is finally apprehended did not include anything about "because we believe the killer is a prominent person." The prominent person interpretation is just speculation as the people who discuss this case tried to figure out what scenario could possibly shock everyone.

My personal view is that the statement reflects LE's belief that the killer is local-ish. In these smaller communities, there would be general ideas like "it's not one of us - he has to be a long haul truck driver/transient passing through/homeless person camped in the woods."

So I think in essence LE was saying "you're going to be shocked because we think it is one of you." It could be the most socially marginal person, it could be a person from as far away as Kokomo or Lafayette, but it's one of you.

JMO.
Oh, ok; understood.
Thanks much for clarifying this issue— what you assert makes more sense to me, because the “prominent person” (from a wealthy family, or a lawyer, minister, teacher, coach) never really did to me.

This is the quote you’re referring to. The comment was speculation by Leazenby, not DC. Speculation is different than revealing inside information unless we assume LE knows who the killer is, however in the more recent Q&A he confirms he does not.

In my opinion LE should not fuel speculation by contributing to speculation because it gets interpreted as factual.

BBM
Apr/2020
Lots of tips, no arrest in 2017 double homicide | Carroll County Comet
“Leazenby stated the investigation is not “stalled.” And it has not been determined if there was one or more perpetrators.

“We go back and forth on that,” he said.

The Sheriff speculated that a perpetrator has probably been interviewed by investigators about the crime, but was not immediately recognized as a offender. He said he still believes a local, or locals, committed the crimes. Leazenby said whoever did this “knew the lay of the land.” He said when an arrest is made, which he believes will happen, community members will likely be shocked at the identity of those arrested. He said he believes the perpetrator will likely be someone who is fairly well-known in the community….”
Thanks. I now see that “fairly well known” could simply be a local fisherman or a guy you see at the laundromat. It wouldn’t need to be a teacher, minister, youth coach, etc.

Again, glad and thankful that posters have cleared this up for me, as the “prominent” person speculation never resonated with intuition.

Thanks. I now see that “fairly well known” could simply be a local fisherman or a guy you see at the laundromat. It wouldn’t need to be a teacher, minister, youth coach, etc.

Again, glad and thankful that posters have cleared this up for me, as the “prominent” person speculation never resonated with intuition.

I agree. Even if one takes his comments literally, there a huge difference between fairly well known or very well known or extremely well known. Taking into account the small population of the tight-knit community Delphi and area, as described, it probably doesn’t require a whole lot of interaction to become “fairly well known”.

I think his comment was intended to reinforce the belief the suspect had prior knowledge of the trail area, that he wasn’t someone who just happened upon the bridge and chose to seek out teen girls to murder that day. In gaining that prior knowledge of the area through some type of connection, he’d indeed be fairly well known to others….for example past or present - to those who he was related to, who he was neighbours to, who he worked with or who he visited, depending on the reason for his familiarity with the area.

JMO

I've always thought he had his hands in his pockets because he was getting ready to pull out a weapon. I don't think he knew he was being recorded.
I also don’t believe he knew he was being filmed, or he’d have gotten rid of that cell phone. Agree he may have had a weapon in his pocket - or he may have simply had his hands in his pockets because they were cold. It was February. MOO

I’m just trying to grasp how they could conclude it was a specific individual and at the same time not be able to place him at the crime scene on that date and within that time period. Wouldn’t they know it was him through the bridge audio and video?

They may absolutely know who the perpetrator(s) is. It has been my belief for some time that BG's DNA (collected at crime scene), can be explained away. Perhaps he is related or close family friend. Maybe he participated in the volunteer searches. Is it possible BG is a member of the police, fire, or medical department? IF this is the case, LE is unable to make an arrest w/o definitive information placing BG at the crime scene or park prior to their discovery. He has not been arrested because of this (IMO).

LE needs someone to come forward who saw (or knew) BG was at MHB on the 13th of February, and possibly the days leading up to. Is someone providing a false alibi? Did someone find something in their home that potentially belonged to one of the girls? Is someone afraid to come forward? Whatever the reason may be, LE is "stuck" in moving forward. They have indicated numerous times that just one tip will lead them to making an arrest.

I believe LE thought this case would be settled quite quickly. They had audio, they had video, they had DNA, and they had all of the evidence collected at the crime scene. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. There is something holding them up. We just don't know what that is. :(

I’m just trying to grasp how they could conclude it was a specific individual and at the same time not be able to place him at the crime scene on that date and within that time period. Wouldn’t they know it was him through the bridge audio and video?
They need the last piece of the puzzle - it might not be his name. IMO

LE needs someone to come forward who saw (or knew) BG was at MHB on the 13th of February, and possibly the days leading up to. Is someone providing a false alibi? Did someone find something in their home that potentially belonged to one of the girls? Is someone afraid to come forward? Whatever the reason may be, LE is "stuck" in moving forward. They have indicated numerous times that just one tip will lead them to making an arrest.
I sure hope they get it. It’s so frustrating to see this case stuck in the mud and spinning it’s wheels. I try to stay positive about JBC but I don’t know if that’s going to prove to be the linchpin.

Sometimes in these stalled cases, someone keeps quiet, until they themselves get arrested for some serious crime (drugs, etc) and then they tell what they know to police as a bargaining chip.

What worries me is that there may be no one keeping quiet; that BG may have simply escaped notice at that time.

I also don’t believe he knew he was being filmed, or he’d have gotten rid of that cell phone. Agree he may have had a weapon in his pocket - or he may have simply had his hands in his pockets because they were cold. It was February. MOO
Or his hands were in his pockets out of habit.

I have midwestern family, and I recall one family reunion photo where every uncle had his hands in his jeans, just like BG. Looks like small-town midwestern male behavior to me, especially when they know they're being looked at. He likely didn't know he was being filmed, but he could obviously see the girls since they were his prey.

jmo

Last edited:
You are right; they are usually very accurate. I cannot understand why one has not been issued unless the killer has even stumped the FBI.

I think it’s because by giving the profile it might be known they are looking for a a serial killer who has eluded them so far. I believe he will be caught by the FBI and this case will be studied for years after he is arrested. I hope he is caught alive so they can learn from his evilness.

Wouldn’t it be almost be criminal at this point to not come forward? After all, what is there to be afraid of— if LE arrest him, he can’t get out and take revenge.

He could have had a job where there was not a lot of supervision like a free lance occupation so he could say he was anywhere in the territory he covered and there is no proof.

Or his hands were in his pockets out of habit.

I have midwestern family, and I recall one family reunion photo where uncle had his hands in his jeans, just like BG. Looks like small-town midwestern male behavior to me, especially when they know they're being looked at. He likely didn't know he was being filmed, but he could obviously see the girls since they were his prey.

jmo

I agree, walking with hands in pockets is simply relaxed, carefree, nonthreatening posturing. Possibly this was deliberate by the suspect on the bridge. It’s not unusual, it’s not as if he was balancing on a tightrope.

Abby had her hands in her pockets in the Snapchat photo as well.

upload_2021-5-22_13-59-26.jpeg
Teen girls photographed and recorded their double murderer | Daily Mail Online

Wouldn’t it be almost be criminal at this point to not come forward? After all, what is there to be afraid of— if LE arrest him, he can’t get out and take revenge.

I have thought a lot about this. Especially since LE has been very vocal about protecting whomever may come forward. I honestly am not sure of the reason. Other than someone loves and suspects it's him, but doesn't know for sure. If it were someone's husband, for example, they may be concerned about how they would provide for their family without him. Or, they may simply be in denial. Maybe they would feel humiliated or "ruined" if he comes from a prominent family. If he were someone's caretaker, this person may be concerned about their future care. Or, they may not have the mental capacity to know.

Investigators believe they may have already interviewed him. For whatever reason, BG did not raise a red flag at the time. Or they could not prove he was "the one". LE has also stated they believe someone knows. Perhaps he has told them, or they know because they are protecting him for some reason (false alibi?).

Many posters have said they doubt a prominent citizen could be involved in this case. I don't doubt the possibility at all, as it happens frequently. Perhaps the prominent one isn't the perp but could be covering for the perp. A good book to read on this topic is Mean Justice by Edward Humes. Another by the same author is Mississippi Mud. Or google Lords Of Bakersfield. Corruption and power are often entwined.

No word on Chadwell yet.
They were publicly done with DN very quickly, while careful to say that everyone stays on the radar till the case is solved.

DN became a POI by Sept/2017. It wasn’t until Feb/2018 when LE said they weren’t much interested. That was a long five months of buzzing that he had to be the one.

Sept/2017
https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-new...terest-in-the-murders-of-libby-abby-in-delphi

Feb/2018
Daniel Nations no longer a major concern in Delphi murders

DN became a POI by Sept/2017. It wasn’t until Feb/2018 when LE said they weren’t much interested. That was a long five months of buzzing that he had to be the one.

Sept/2017
https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-new...terest-in-the-murders-of-libby-abby-in-delphi

Feb/2018
Daniel Nations no longer a major concern in Delphi murders
MOO I guess I am speaking of the time period of when he was arrested for threatening people on a trail with an axe in Colarado.
The detectives flew to CO and IIRC without meeting with him came back saying he was not of interest at the time.

Last edited:
I have thought a lot about this. Especially since LE has been very vocal about protecting whomever may come forward. I honestly am not sure of the reason. Other than someone loves and suspects it's him, but doesn't know for sure. If it were someone's husband, for example, they may be concerned about how they would provide for their family without him. Or, they may simply be in denial. Maybe they would feel humiliated or "ruined" if he comes from a prominent family. If he were someone's caretaker, this person may be concerned about their future care. Or, they may not have the mental capacity to know.

Investigators believe they may have already interviewed him. For whatever reason, BG did not raise a red flag at the time. Or they could not prove he was "the one". LE has also stated they believe someone knows. Perhaps he has told them, or they know because they are protecting him for some reason (false alibi?).
This is why I had hoped (and still hold out some hope) that BG is Chadwell:

I always felt that after all this time of no one coming forward to name the person or correct a false alibi, etc., that the best thing would be for BG to get arrested for some crime (not necessarily similar, could be drugs, etc.) and they’d have probable cause to search his car, computer history, or home, and find a link to the Delphi killings. We don’t know yet with Chadwell.

This article: Mt. Herman Road menacing suspect waives hearing in court

Says that DN was arrested on September 25th, 2017 and referred to ISP via a tip on September 29th. Detectives traveled to Colorado and were able to interview him but on October 3rd ISP announced that they were not able to glean any conclusive information to include or exclude him at that time.

ISP further said in that press release (the text of which is at the above link): While the Indiana State Police does not, as a matter of practice, provide investigative information about specific tips, an exception has been made in this instance as the result of numerous media inquiries made about this particular tip.

Because the information released on October 3rd did not exclude him (while also not including him) rumors on message boards continued to swirl until Carter's more definitive statement in February of 2018, provided by @MistyWaters, that:

"As you all know, we went out to Colorado and we spent a little bit of time with him [DN], and he's not a person we care a whole lot about at this time," Superintendent Douglas Carter with the Indiana State Police said Tuesday. “Until somebody is arrested, we’re interested in almost everybody.”

Another link for that statement: Daniel Nations no longer a major concern in Delphi murders

I think from these statements from the ISP about how they are going to conduct themselves (not labeling POIs publicly and not commenting if any particular tip proved valuable), we can say that we should not expect to hear anything about JBC either way at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998