Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #135

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article: Mt. Herman Road menacing suspect waives hearing in court

Says that DN was arrested on September 25th, 2017 and referred to ISP via a tip on September 29th. Detectives traveled to Colorado and were able to interview him but on October 3rd ISP announced that they were not able to glean any conclusive information to include or exclude him at that time.

ISP further said in that press release (the text of which is at the above link): While the Indiana State Police does not, as a matter of practice, provide investigative information about specific tips, an exception has been made in this instance as the result of numerous media inquiries made about this particular tip.

Because the information released on October 3rd did not exclude him (while also not including him) rumors on message boards continued to swirl until Carter's more definitive statement in February of 2018, provided by @MistyWaters, that:

"As you all know, we went out to Colorado and we spent a little bit of time with him [DN], and he's not a person we care a whole lot about at this time," Superintendent Douglas Carter with the Indiana State Police said Tuesday. “Until somebody is arrested, we’re interested in almost everybody.”

Another link for that statement: Daniel Nations no longer a major concern in Delphi murders

I think from these statements from the ISP about how they are going to conduct themselves (not labeling POIs publicly and not commenting if any particular tip proved valuable), we can say that we should not expect to hear anything about JBC either way at this time.
All true.
MOO the message boards continuing to buzz about DN was the reason for the second statement in February.
MOO LE provided the "not of interest at this time" right after CO visit.
RL also continued to get web buzz after it was apparent he was not POI for the murders.

All true.
MOO the message boards continuing to buzz about DN was the reason for the second statement in February.
RL also continued to get web buzz after it was apparent he was not POI for the murders.

It seems LE was rather vague even in Jan/2018, five months later. This was what kept some people going for months, convinced he was the killer but maybe LE was dealing with earlier charges first. So if that’s to be compared, we may not learn anything more about JBC for awhile yet. LE can take their time, JBC’s not going anywhere either. For all we know there’s other POIs who are equally high on the list of possibilities who are being investigated right now as well.

Jan/2018
Person of interest in Delphi homicide heading back to Indiana on unrelated warrant
“Police have not formally connected Nations to the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German in Feb. 2017, but he gained national attention when detectives with the Indiana State Police traveled to interview him in connection with the Carroll County killings….

…..Detectives later said they have no information that specifically includes or excludesNations as a suspect….”

All true.

This is from the article I posted:

Indiana State Police (ISP) said earlier they have no information to "specifically include or exclude" Nations as the suspect in the killings of Abby and Libby. The state police announced the lack of conclusive findings to date in a news release Oct. 3, following the conclusion of a visit to Colorado by two ISP detectives.

The information that they weren't particularly interested him at this time came on February 14th, 2018.

I sure hope they get it. It’s so frustrating to see this case stuck in the mud and spinning it’s wheels. I try to stay positive about JBC but I don’t know if that’s going to prove to be the linchpin.

Sometimes in these stalled cases, someone keeps quiet, until they themselves get arrested for some serious crime (drugs, etc) and then they tell what they know to police as a bargaining chip.

What worries me is that there may be no one keeping quiet; that BG may have simply escaped notice at that time.

That is my worry as well. I hope that LE is holding back all sorts of info, but I fear they don't have much more. Maybe the crime scene was interesting, but is there anything to pin it on somebody? I don't follow all that many cases, but Mollie Tibbetts is what introduced me to Websleuths and I don't think there is any DNA at her outside crime scene. I am in awe of the sketch drawn by witnesses on the trail . *Maybe* I could remember I passed a man and I might remember a detail or two, but to draw his face? If BG was unassuming on the trail and unseen on the bridge and did not leave DNA....I get so discouraged.

That is my worry as well. I hope that LE is holding back all sorts of info, but I fear they don't have much more. Maybe the crime scene was interesting, but is there anything to pin it on somebody? I don't follow all that many cases, but Mollie Tibbetts is what introduced me to Websleuths and I don't think there is any DNA at her outside crime scene. I am in awe of the sketch drawn by witnesses on the trail . *Maybe* I could remember I passed a man and I might remember a detail or two, but to draw his face? If BG was unassuming on the trail and unseen on the bridge and did not leave DNA....I get so discouraged.
It’s really a shame there wasn’t something with BG as there was in the Mollie Tibbetts case (the video surveillance of the killer’s car circling her on the day she vanished).

That was the break for that case — and sadly after 4 years we know all too well that Libby’s video was not. :(

Ok. I dropped interest in him on October as MOO it seemed apparent to me investigators would never say that they had no specific information to include him, if they did in fact have any evidence.

This is the quote you’re referring to. The comment was speculation by Leazenby, not DC. Speculation is different than revealing inside information unless we assume LE knows who the killer is, however in the more recent Q&A he confirms he does not.

In my opinion LE should not fuel speculation by contributing to speculation because it gets interpreted as factual.

BBM
Apr/2020
Lots of tips, no arrest in 2017 double homicide | Carroll County Comet
“Leazenby stated the investigation is not “stalled.” And it has not been determined if there was one or more perpetrators.

“We go back and forth on that,” he said.

The Sheriff speculated that a perpetrator has probably been interviewed by investigators about the crime, but was not immediately recognized as a offender. He said he still believes a local, or locals, committed the crimes. Leazenby said whoever did this “knew the lay of the land.” He said when an arrest is made, which he believes will happen, community members will likely be shocked at the identity of those arrested. He said he believes the perpetrator will likely be someone who is fairly well-known in the community….”
I see the statements dished out by LE "community will be shocked" etc..as LE putting out bait...to troll for reactions by those under surveillance and suspicion. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, if a second person knows the identity due to personal relationship or dealings with BG....then the bait is for them too...as pressure to give that person up mounts. BG would eliminate anyone who he though might turn them in....if it got to that point.

First time posting but have followed this case for the last few years. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I wasn't able to locate anything but I had a question about something the Sheriff mentioned in a Q&A I read on this site County Sheriff answers double homicide questions from readers | Carroll County Comet

In one of the questions he mentions that the searchers likely did not know what they had come upon when the girls were discovered. Why do you think that is? How could they have come across 2 murder victims but not have known they had come across 2 murder victims? Or did I misunderstand his response?

Here is the exact Q&A from that article:
Q. In the public domain there have been descriptions of the crime scene, descriptions of items found and the positioning of the bodies. Do you feel there was an excessive number of persons present once it was determined to be a crime scene?

A. Once secured by law enforcement as a crime scene, no. I would surmise that searchers did not immediately know what they had come upon.

First time posting but have followed this case for the last few years. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I wasn't able to locate anything but I had a question about something the Sheriff mentioned in a Q&A I read on this site County Sheriff answers double homicide questions from readers | Carroll County Comet

In one of the questions he mentions that the searchers likely did not know what they had come upon when the girls were discovered. Why do you think that is? How could they have come across 2 murder victims but not have known they had come across 2 murder victims? Or did I misunderstand his response?

Q. In the public domain there have been descriptions of the crime scene, descriptions of items found and the positioning of the bodies. Do you feel there was an excessive number of persons present once it was determined to be a crime scene?

A. Once secured by law enforcement as a crime scene, no. I would surmise that searchers did not immediately know what they had come upon.
The searchers were looking for two missing girls, not two killed girls. I think he meant that people were expecting to find the girls alive, not murdered.

jmo

I see the statements dished out by LE "community will be shocked" etc..as LE putting out bait...to troll for reactions by those under surveillance and suspicion. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, if a second person knows the identity due to personal relationship or dealings with BG....then the bait is for them too...as pressure to give that person up mounts. BG would eliminate anyone who he though might turn them in....if it got to that point.

Yes, that’s an important point. When LE provide public statements their intent is to prompt a reaction from the suspect and/or someone who has information to assist in his identification.

Instead the general public might think LE is sharing information ridden with clues as to the identity of the killer. But that only happens in movies and TV shows. Then the script has already been written to include an ending.

JMO

Indeed this odd response has been discussed previously. I take it to mean the searchers didn’t recognize the girls were victims of murder when their bodies were initially sighted.

With an organized search, often the searchers are instructed to contact the search command leader immediately so this may’ve occurred at a distance.

Last edited:

Welcome :D
I believe it indicates that when the girls were first spotted, it was assumed that they were alive but dehydrated, cold, weak, perhaps injured with broken legs from a fall, etc.

OR even if it appeared they were not alive, they may have assumed they had succumbed to hypothermia or perhaps even a bear attack.

It apparently took closer inspection to realize the girls had in fact been murder victims.

With an apology for probably stating what you all likely know, I still think it's important to remember why we have FBI behavioral science profilers working with LE when they ask for help with a crime.

It's not for the purpose of telling the public what the FBI profile indicated. The total profile is probably never given to the requesting LE agency UNLESS that agency has a Psychological Sciences unit on board already. Terms are used which can be misleading.
ALL crimes involving abduction and coercion of a victim or victims contain " signature" behaviors specific to that kidnapping/ murder, and the choices the killer made.
We can project that if the killer isn't caught, the next kidnapping and murder by the same criminal will have some of the same elements IF opportunity presents itself to the killer.

<modsnip: Off topic> I wish Libby and Abby had stayed in a populated area of the park. Did their killer stalk them, and if so, for how long/ how far? Or was it a crime of opportunity only? I believe it was a combo of both, because it's likely few double murders of minors occur in the area.

I'm going to tread carefully here as it's an open investigation which is unsolved and there are facts, and there are rumors. I have been extremely careful to stay away from anything which is a rumor. I'm not on any SM accounts, and never have been.

Using common sense reasoning, it's
likely one or both Delphi girls were not killed immediately. There was a period of time when their killer was committing acts which ARE signatures.
Likely, the acting CSI investigators and the FBI have precise models of whether the plan was to keep one or both girls alive in a dwelling or out in the open (which is, of course, quite risky and a sign of a disorganized kidnapper/ killer).
In hindsight, what they are saying now is that they have all but the physical killer locked down. They know what he did and how he did it, and the girls' video and audio has helped this case greatly.

I gave my opinion of the bridge video about a year ago, maybe longer. The killer, if he is BG, is NOT old. He's not a teen, but he's a grown man who is agile and strong. He's wearing layers of clothing to partially disguise his size, and the cap is also a partial disguise, plus it draws our eyes downward from his eyes and face to his bulky looking body.

His gait is slightly pigeon toed, possibly a means to securely cross that cursed bridge. It is NOT his normal stance or gait. His shoulders are rounded abnormally. It is not natural to walk with hands in pockets unless he had an injury or deformity on one hand which would have been an identifying feature or if he was holding a weapon or weapons in his pockets. IDK which, but believe one or the other is true. Maybe one hand had a missing digit or partially missing digit and the other held a weapon. I believe his thinking had been disordered for a significant period of time to cause him to be on the fringe of society, and if he held a job, it was a low skill, low paying job, perhaps temporary work here and there.

I do not believe he is disabled in any significant way physically, but since mentally healthy people do not kidnap and kill teen girls, he obviously has at least mental disorganization, criminality, and may be a stalking type of killer. I've always wondered if he's a transient who went to places like parks and playgrounds looking for victims, or if he is a local who had stalked those two girls specifically. The FBI likely knows, but I don't. I believe he will be arrested, and that a factor not anticipated has caused a delay in his apprehension.

It is hard to write any sort of profile because of what is not known in this case. But I look at the video and see a much different man. I see a man who at least looks like he is over the age of 50 at the time of the crime.

I think a lot of what I do because of Abby and Libby's reaction to this man. Without that phone video/audio it would be hard to come up with any sort of profile(my opinion). It is important to remember that Abby and Libby were young teenage girls in junior high. I think at some point the girls were close enough to see the man, but never interacted. For example, I do not think the bridge guy or the girls talked to each other before he abducted them at the end of the bridge. I think what scared Abby and Libby was the way the man looked. I know people say that the killer may have been stalking them out on the Monon High Bridge trail, but if you consider the amount of time Abby and Libby were on the bridge and the pictures, especially the one of Abby looking back down the bridge, it does not look like anyone was near them.

I think it was the man's physical appearance that scared them. This leads to a discussion of what is a normal physical appearance, and I cannot explain that. What is a "normal" physical appearance to you? What is a "normal" physical appearance to Abby and Libby?

This is why if someone handed me a picture of any of the persons of interest in this case so far, I would be shaking my head. I would be surprised if it was any of the people considered a person of interest in this case so far. It just does not seem like any of them is the man police are looking for.

I think it was the man's physical appearance that scared them. This leads to a discussion of what is a normal physical appearance, and I cannot explain that. What is a "normal" physical appearance to you? What is a "normal" physical appearance to Abby and Libby?
This is exactly what always bothered me about the “young bridge guy” sketch. He looks about 18 and has the boyish good looks of a model. When I was 14, I would have seen him coming down the bridge and said, Look, that gorgeous boy is coming to flirt with us!

It was the grandpa-aged-trucker look that looked menacing, unnatural. Far too old to flirt. So what does he want?

This is why if someone handed me a picture of any of the persons of interest in this case so far, I would be shaking my head. I would be surprised if it was any of the people considered a person of interest in this case so far. It just does not seem like any of them is the man police are looking for.
DN looked like a kid compared to BG.

What stands out as abnormal to me is the way he is walking like "on a mission" across a bridge like that. Not taking in the view, not taking pictures, not seeming to be enjoying himself or even nervous. Just coming at them with his head down. Totally strange demeanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288