DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope pending cases start to get more activity soon with restrictions easing back.

Pulaski JD identified! Seems that she has been solved since December 2019 but legal confirmation only came this month.

Pulaski County (Mo.) detectives identify woman considered “Jane Doe” since death in 1981

Actually according to the new article about Gregg co JD:
The DNA Doe Project has helped identify more than 50 Jane and John Does in more than 70 cases.

National non-profit helps to identify human remains found in Gregg County almost 20 years ago
It's kind of fun to follow along with this stat as it is reported in multiple articles. Given how the Gacy victim 5 and Rohnert Park JD were just announced as active cases, I wonder how many more there are that are unannounced and/or solved already.

Pulaski JD identified! Seems that she has been solved since December 2019 but legal confirmation only came this month.

Pulaski County (Mo.) detectives identify woman considered “Jane Doe” since death in 1981

It's kind of fun to follow along with this stat as it is reported in multiple articles. Given how the Gacy victim 5 and Rohnert Park JD were just announced as active cases, I wonder how many more there are that are unannounced and/or solved already.

Amazing news! We all hoped she had been identified but was pending announcement, actually the confirmation was made via CODIS, I wonder why they did not compare her DNA to her brother's DNA directly.

Agree! Probably some LEs are more discreet that others, I think Othram also had cases where their involvement was confirmed only after the official announcements.

Last edited:
Amazing news! We all hoped she had been identified but was pending announcement, actually the confirmation was made via CODIS, I wonder why they did not compare her DNA to her brother's DNA directly.

Agree! Probably some LEs are more discreet that others, I think Othram also had cases where their involvement was confirmed only after the official announcements.

Yes, we don't confirm any details (including our involvement) unless we have explicit permission from LE and as you note, every agency is different, so we try to do whatever makes the agency most comfortable.

Fingers crossed Nation River Lady is next! I would also like to see Delafield JD to be identified but his numbers are not so good.
I hope so too. I think we have yet to have an (announced) Canadian UID case solved via genetic genealogy here.

I hope so too. I think we have yet to have an (announced) Canadian UID case solved via genetic genealogy here.
Nation River Lady can be the first one identified and there are other cases taken by forensic genealogy companies. I read about at least 3 Canadian cases taken by different forensic genealogy companies in 2021:

1. Bowmanville Jane Doe by DDP (it is their third Canadian case)
2. Whitehorse Yukon John Doe by Othram
3. Babes in the Wood (Vancouver, British Columbia) by Redgrave Research

Any other cases taken by other companies? Are there local forensic genealogists in Canada? May be it is not public by some cases are being worked by locals?

Nation River Lady can be the first one identified and there are other cases taken by forensic genealogy companies. I read about at least 3 Canadian cases taken by different forensic genealogy companies in 2021:

Any other cases taken by other companies? Are there local forensic genealogists in Canada? May be it is not public by some cases are being worked by locals?
The interesting thing is that apparently there is an Ancient/Paleo-DNA lab that does extraction at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, which was used for the Babes in the Wood, according to the press conference. I wonder if we might see more cases being sent there if that is eventually successful. Hopefully there may be some unannounced cases being worked by Othram, Identifinders, Parabon as well or in the DDP pipeline.

There was a film production company that produced a documentary detailing the exhumation of this UID (caution PM pic: Albert Johnson (criminal) - Wikipedia) back in the 2000s - late last year they had a page up suggesting they were doing FGG with Othram, but it's doesn't seem to be up anymore. It is a pretty intriguing (almost legendary in some areas) case that I'd love to see solved. And then there is Septic Tank Sam in Alberta; I wouldn't be surprised if that one is getting worked on already.

I'm pretty sure Parabon is working a Canadian case, but I can't remember which one. I wonder if any company might try to take cases from Europe, like Germany or the UK, or Australia.

I'm pretty sure Parabon is working a Canadian case, but I can't remember which one. I wonder if any company might try to take cases from Europe, like Germany or the UK, or Australia.
I think they've assisted in a few baby Doe cases, in Ontario, Calgary and Saskatchewan.

Oh the case they're doing for Canada is a POI case.

M0M70lA.png

They're actually doing another POI case for Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10