Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philadelphia homicide detectives two years ago got an order to exhume the remains of the Boy in the Box. What they were able to retrieve this time for DNA purposes was sent to a lab in Europe that now has given them their biggest break yet.

“This is the closest, this is the closest we have gotten,” Smith said of being able to find out the boy’s name.

Police now have a DNA profile they hope leads them to family members of the little boy. Investigators say this gives them a new direction.

“Might there still be witnesses around? There could be,” Smith said. “Absolutely. Might there still be a perpetrator around that’s still alive? Possibly. Could be.”

These detectives are on the doorstep of what can only be hoped to be the break that’s kept them up at night wondering what the name of The Boy in the Box is.
EXCLUSIVE: Philadelphia Police Hope Break In 1957 Unsolved Murder Leads To The Boy In The Box's Identity
Thank You. This is so great to hear. I am so hopeful about this. I pray he is Identified soon. Please let us know if anyone finds out anything else.

I wonder if either one of the two theories about him (child of daughter of foster family or the "Jonathan" theory) prove to be true.

Philadelphia homicide detectives two years ago got an order to exhume the remains of the Boy in the Box. What they were able to retrieve this time for DNA purposes was sent to a lab in Europe that now has given them their biggest break yet.

“This is the closest, this is the closest we have gotten,” Smith said of being able to find out the boy’s name.

Police now have a DNA profile they hope leads them to family members of the little boy. Investigators say this gives them a new direction.

“Might there still be witnesses around? There could be,” Smith said. “Absolutely. Might there still be a perpetrator around that’s still alive? Possibly. Could be.”

These detectives are on the doorstep of what can only be hoped to be the break that’s kept them up at night wondering what the name of The Boy in the Box is.
EXCLUSIVE: Philadelphia Police Hope Break In 1957 Unsolved Murder Leads To The Boy In The Box's Identity
I am so hopeful about this. Is anyone hearing any updates on this?EXCLUSIVE: Philadelphia Police Hope Break In 1957 Unsolved Murder Leads To The Boy In The Box's Identity

I hope and pray they give us an update soon on this. I am so very hopeful and excited about this.EXCLUSIVE: Philadelphia Police Hope Break In 1957 Unsolved Murder Leads To The Boy In The Box's Identity

I've always thought a family member (or more than one family member) was involved in this little boy's murder. If anyone is still alive who knows what happened, they must be shaken up to know law enforcement has DNA. On the other hand, hopefully someone in the family has always wondered what happened to this little boy.

I've always thought a family member (or more than one family member) was involved in this little boy's murder. If anyone is still alive who knows what happened, they must be shaken up to know law enforcement has DNA. On the other hand, hopefully someone in the family has always wondered what happened to this little boy.

I agree. A family member or other form of caregiver had to have been involved. He probably had extended relatives who wondered about him. You have to wonder what people knew, or thought, or were told.... How many knew or suspected the truth but kept quiet, and why?
IMO child abuse was not taken as seriously in the '50s. It was also more difficult for people to escape an abusive relative. (I'm not saying it's easy now either, just easier in comparison.)

I agree. A family member or other form of caregiver had to have been involved. He probably had extended relatives who wondered about him. You have to wonder what people knew, or thought, or were told.... How many knew or suspected the truth but kept quiet, and why?
IMO child abuse was not taken as seriously in the '50s. It was also more difficult for people to escape an abusive relative. (I'm not saying it's easy now either, just easier in comparison.)
Very much so not taken seriously during this time. What is considered child abuse today was seen as discipline or 'keeping the child in line'. I can't imagine how children with behavioral problems due to conditions that didn't exist back then were treated. My Dad was born in 1956 and said the teachers were allowed to hit you were rulers if you misbehaved. And my Mom would always say that, "you better be glad you didn't grow up when I did because I got the belt". It seems those Doe's cause of death was the result of 'discipline' gone wrong.

Last edited:
I am excited about the new progressions in this case; however, I am trying not to get my hope's up too much being I can see how there might be some dead ends with his identification. Like if he is an orphan or a child of a unwed mother that was taken away from her at birth. Since there was taboo to unwed pregnancies back then the mother's family might not have known she was pregnant at all. If this isn't the case, his parents are likely deceased but maybe he has a sibling that has been looking for him much like in Michelle Pulsifer's case.

So hoping this is the year the Boy gets his name back! He is how I found WS 15 years ago. I'm not on as often as I used to, but make sure to check his thread every so often. I have a feeling forensic genealogy will turn up someone, somewhere. We may never know what happened, but little guy deserves his name. He will always have his huge extended 'family' of LE and WSers no matter what.

So hoping this is the year the Boy gets his name back! He is how I found WS 15 years ago. I'm not on as often as I used to, but make sure to check his thread every so often. I have a feeling forensic genealogy will turn up someone, somewhere. We may never know what happened, but little guy deserves his name. He will always have his huge extended 'family' of LE and WSers no matter what.
I agree! He will be identified pretty soon!
Genealogy has been doing such a great job!

I agree! He will be identified pretty soon!
Genealogy has been doing such a great job!
I often wonder what the steps are in this process from start to finish. Once a family tree is put together, do they interview people within the tree? I think it’s amazing that genealogy has been solving so many cases :)

I often wonder what the steps are in this process from start to finish. Once a family tree is put together, do they interview people within the tree? I think it’s amazing that genealogy has been solving so many cases :)
CeCe Moore does a great job showing her process, or at least some of it in the Genetic Detective series. Very intensive painstaking work! Really hoping for season 2 to come out.

CeCe Moore does a great job showing her process, or at least some of it in the Genetic Detective series. Very intensive painstaking work! Really hoping for season 2 to come out.
Oh! I’ve not heard about that series! Can you tell me where it can be watched? Thank you:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie