Identified! NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, Off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #2 - Vincent Marion Trapp

Coincidentally, while I was looking at ruleouts to update our listings, I ran across somebody who isn't on any of our lists. Bruce Knight, last seen in November 1989.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (overenlarged and fuzzy but best I could do)
The Doe Network: Bruce Michael Knight - 4873DMMO

View attachment 287247 View attachment 287255

Height, weight, age, timeframe are all in range. There are some possible tattoos that would rule him out, but the only definite one is on Knight's hand, and SCJD's hands weren't found.

Thoughts? I feel like I'm probably overlooking something.
I’m fairly confident that I submitted Bruce as a possible match awhile back. I never heard back from anyone.

ETA: I can’t find the email I sent so I may submit again to the Doe Network.

From Lyon County Sheriff's Office online:

*** PRESS RELEASE ***

For the past two years, the Major Crimes Division of the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office has been actively investigating the unsolved murder of an unknown Caucasian male whose body was discovered on March 12, 1992, in Sand Canyon in the southern portion of Lyon County.

The victim (who had been murdered the year prior, in 1991) had remained unidentified for 29 years since his death (28 years since his discovery) and had only been known as Sand Canyon John Doe.

Then, in July of 2020, the LCSO Major Crimes Division—working with Parabon NanoLabs Snapshot out of Virginia, as well as Parabon’s Chief Genetic Genealogist, CeCe Moore—was able to narrow down a list of potential family members of Sand Canyon John Doe using genetic matches from the GEDmatch database and investigative genetic genealogy techniques. On August 31, 2020, we were able to confirm the identity of the murder victim as 43-year-old Vincent Marion Trapp, originally from Sacramento, California. Vincent Trapp stood six-feet-six-inches tall, weighed 190 pounds, and had blue eyes and red hair.

After identifying Vincent Trapp, LCSO Major Crimes detectives traveled to two different states to interview persons of interest, and were able to establish a rudimentary timeline of his general whereabouts leading up to his death. Although we don’t know the exact date when Vincent Trapp moved to Nevada from California, we do know he was living in Douglas County (Topaz Ranch Estates) in late 1989 through the fall of 1990, and was a resident of Lyon County (Yerington) in the spring of 1991. It is believed that Vincent Trapp was murdered sometime between the spring and summer of 1991.

Currently, the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office and the Nevada Division of Investigation are asking for the public’s assistance in finding out any information regarding Vincent Trapp’s murder.

If you know anything about the murder of Vincent Marion Trapp, please contact Detective Lieutenant Jerry Pattison of the Major Crimes Division of the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office at (775) 577-5206, or Investigator Matthew Wehn of the Nevada Division of Investigation at (775) 684-7412. If you wish to provide information anonymously, you can call or text Secret Witness at (775) 322-4900.

(Attached photographs include image of Vincent Trapp shortly before his murder, and an older picture when he was in the military.)

Also: Murder victim identified nearly 30 years after killing in Lyon County

I'm pretty sure it's safe to share this info now! 2 hours ago this John Doe was made public to request the public's assistance. His name is Vincent Trapp. He was my mother's cousin. Here is a link to the press release

If that doesn't show up, just look up the Lyons county sheriff page. There's pics of him. Thank you all for working so hard to help give him his name back!

I'm pretty sure it's safe to share this info now! 2 hours ago this John Doe was made public to request the public's assistance. His name is Vincent Trapp. He was my mother's cousin. Here is a link to the press release

If that doesn't show up, just look up the Lyons county sheriff page. There's pics of him. Thank you all for working so hard to help give him his name back!
I’m so sorry for your loss. I hear they have persons of interest and I hope they get what’s coming.

This makes my heart so very happy that he was finally identified and loved ones can lay him to rest. I spent an enormous amount of time on this case and it helps to know that LEO was able to bring closure to this case. Hopefully they can begin to identify how he came to such an awful and lonely death.

92c15927-ad5f-453c-aada-f28ca07b2bd0-jpeg.298527
630eebc4-96e6-4781-a856-c8a693f05dfb-John_Doe.png

Rest in peace, Vincent Marion Trapp.

Another success story! The focus and dedication of the people involved is awe inspiring. There should be a fund available for governments to access and extract DNA and submit to these amazing organizations who identify UID's. It may end up being more cost effective than having so many unidentified files with a roster of investigators who spend their time reviewing them over and over again.

I just checked "The List" and it appears Mr. Trapp was not on it. We searched for months trying to find this man's identity. The former LEO's were very involved in trying to solve this case and I am forever grateful that they reached out to WS for help. Thanks again to all who tried so hard many years ago and the family members who attempted to complete their genealogy allowing LEO to backtrack DNA. Looking back on the lists of names and info it makes me wonder how many of them are still unidentified. I hope their families are able to find answers as well.

The List *NO DISCUSSION* (websleuths.com)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back