Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM
That is how I understand it as I thought I’d read or heard somewhere that BM wasn’t allowed back into the home the first night.
I will say it’s just my opinion as I can’t remember the source. I’m not on FB or any other social media, so I either read about it here, and/or possibly PE or LS reported it.
I know it was discussed here in the early threads. I just did a quick search of Media Thread trying to find link of when home was locked down but couldn’t locate the info. If I have time later, I’ll try to find link and post it.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
Oops, just saw we both basically posted the same thing. Anyway, that's the only explanation I can think of. LE must have suspected it was a crime scene, and maybe it just took some time before a judge approved the search warrant. It also may have taken investigators some time to put the warrant together. They may have wanted to wait to see what evidence they found during the initial search and the bike scene. Imo

No worries, no need to search for the link. :) Thanks for your answers.
It must be that they were allowed to lock the house down because it was declared a potential crime scene, with no certainty about where Suzanne was when she went missing.

And yet they had to get a search warrant because, evidently, BM did not allow a search. If he had allowed a search, they could have been right in there.

Nothing like pointing at finger directly at himself - by not immediately authorising a search of the home. imo
I wonder what lame reason he gave for that.

Last edited:
It must be that they were allowed to lock the house down because it was declared a potential crime scene, with no certainty about where Suzanne was when she went missing.

And yet they had to get a search warrant because, evidently, BM did not allow a search. If he had allowed a search, they could have been right in there.

Nothing like pointing at finger directly at himself - by not immediately authorising a search of the home. imo

In more than a few cases I have followed, the "spouse/suspect" had said yes to search, but LE didn't want to do such as could be "pulled" at any time and better for long term/court with a search warrant MOO. I'm not 100% that in this case he denied such due to those cases.

In more than a few cases I have followed, the "spouse/suspect" had said yes to search, but LE didn't want to do such as could be "pulled" at any time and better for long term/court with a search warrant MOO. I'm not 100% that in this case he denied such due to those cases.

Oh, okay. Well that is a surprise. I would have thought that in a missing persons case time would have been of the essence, to find any clues.
Waiting several days for a search warrant (as is said to have happened in this case) could delay finding the missing person, surely.

Last edited:
Puma Path home and search information:
On May 20, the Daily Mail published photos of evidence being carried out of Puma Path by CSI.
“CSI agents carry out evidence bags from $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom after daughters raised alarm when she vanished on Mother's Day - and husband has not been allowed back in the home since she disappeared.
Police also have his car and his cell phone – leaving the businessman and volunteer firefighter to communicate through his close friend George Davis, 33.
The 52-year-old is currently staying at a property close to the marital home and has been joined by friends who have flown in from his native Indiana. Morphew was pictured leaving the property along with Davis shortly before the CSI investigators arrived to search his home on Tuesday
.”

IIRC BM voluntarily gave investigators permission to LE to search the home the evening he returned from Broomfield. An initial cursory search was done by LE who responded to the neighbor Jean Ritter’s 911 call. AM stated to PE, BM was staying with a friend and had not been in the home since SM was reported missing.
“Tim Nelson, 33, said: ‘The Sheriff’s office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there. Barry was very understanding from what I got from George. I know he’s not allowed to go home. He’s at a neighbor’s. I guess they got him there until he’s cleared or…”
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

MOO o_O

It seems that Jeff Lindsey, one of the prosecutors in this case, was fired from his last position in El Paso County, CO, by the elected DA. He was one of two staff who were fired ... no public reason given.

Could just be a butting of heads, or something political. Because now there are, and have been, other staff leaving - of their own volition - from working for that elected DA.

Allen also fired former Chief Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Lindsey, who now works in Chaffee County where he is among three prosecutors assigned to the case against Barry Morphew in the disappearance of his wife, Suzanne Morphew.
Longtime El Paso County prosecutor resigns after demotion

If you read the whole article it hints at the reason Lindsey and others left. That is standard practice in many elected and corporate settings. The new person wants people loyal to them, not the past leader. It generally has nothing to do with their abilities. MOO and experience.

It's very possible they did a very quick, cursory search of the home immediately which happens in most missing persons cases, but it's always smart to wait for a search warrant for a thorough search, better safe than sorry if evidence needed to be submitted for a trial.
It's possible right off the bat that their "hinky meters" were going off and they wanted to do everything by the book.
11 days is an incredible amount of time for a search, and I too have to agree they found some damning evidence at that point in time. Even if it was copious amounts of evidence they would still need to wait to have a very solid case before an arrest with no-body murder. (or wait in general to try to find her body before arrest or trial)
All MOO

I believe the keyword here is "elected" District Attorney. El Paso County was previously led by term-limited Dan May-- a true professional with an excellent reputation. There's nothing unusual about a new administration's first order of business to make room for their own-- as others resign in due time. Michael Allen was sworn in on January 12, 2021 -- seems things are going according to schedule. MOO

El Paso County DA Michael Allen ushers in early changes from Dan May era

Sorry, Seattle1. I responded and then saw you had it covered, as usual. ‍
ET remove emoji that didn't show up properly.

Last edited:
If you read the whole article it hints at the reason Lindsey and others left. That is standard practice in many elected and corporate settings. The new person wants people loyal to them, not the past leader. It generally has nothing to do with their abilities. MOO and experience.

Thanks. As you read further, you will see that I did understand that. And I was not hinting at any inability of Jeff. I did read the whole article.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same dynamic with the wood chipper idea that was brought up many times. If a disposal method actually creates more evidence scattered in multiple places, one would assume a killer wouldn't go that route. But, we do know that some have (disposed of parts in several areas), despite how stupid it is.

jmo

Laci Peterson case: Prosecutor points to circumstantial evidence - CNN.com.

Remember the tarp in the the Lacy Peterson case? It is not that unreasonable to think a hunter/landscaper could find a place in the mountains to prepare and bury a body where it would never be found. I have felt his hunting buddies could very well provide possible areas to search but I don't think dogs would necessarily be an asset. In the back of my mind, I feel Suzanne could be in a sealed container with chemicals under the landscaping rocks at PP. AMOO

Does anyone recall how many pages of discovery there were in the Caylee Anthony case? I remember reading thousands of pages but I’m not sure it was as many as 10,000. We saw every little scrap of paper thanks to Florida Sunshine Laws.
I was thinking over 100,000. I too, read every page. Even printed most transcripts. I just ran across them and threw them out while reorganizing my office.

ETA, not all was admitted into evidence.

Oh, okay. Well that is a surprise. I would have thought that in a missing persons case time would have been of the essence, to find any clues.
Waiting several days for a search warrant (as is said to have happened in this case) could delay finding the missing person, surely.

*wink wink*

LE thought/knew from red flags from the get go this wasn't a "missing person" case?... iykwim, and worked with DA and higher ups in PD to ensure all was by the book? MOO It will be interesting to find the timing of all the search warrants.

As in some other cases here, they SIEZE an article, such as a car or cell phone, but don't SEARCH it until the warrant. MOO

This is true like in 2000 when new district attorney Jeanine Pirro in Westchester County, New York, reopened the cold case of the 1982 disappearance of Durst's first wife, Kathie. Durst was never charged, but Pirro refused to rule him out as a suspect. The case has since been declared a homicide

Anyone think we will see the AA or a ruling on it this coming week?

Well I sure hope so.
Legal manuevers are always tricksy, and the defense could use some persuasive argument for keeping it sealed longer.
But my hope is, it's released this week.
Today would be good, I'm already planning on leftovers for dinner.
:)

You are right.
What a red flag.

Well I sure hope so.
Legal manuevers are always tricksy, and the defense could use some persuasive argument for keeping it sealed longer.
But my hope is, it's released this week.
Today would be good, I'm already planning on leftovers for dinner.
:)
MOO s

Sealed request is to delay the impending judgement of his daughters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member