Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a rift created by the request of a promissory note, so the siblings weren’t in a great spot when the Morphews moved to CO. It sounded to me that they kept up with each other, but there was tension in the relationships. David emailed Suzanne to try to explain why a record was needed for the loan, they thought maybe she didn’t understand. It wasn’t as if the family was asking for the money, in Melinda’s telling of the story. They just wanted something on record, given their father’s advanced age and assets. I think Barry may have turned it into something else to drive a wedge. He took exception to them asking for the note, and I’m sure he had a lot to say about it to Suzanne. Melinda’s use of the word transparency-I might be way too deep about it but I wanted to know more about what that meant in her back and forth with Suzanne.

We cannot sleuth GD correct? Can we speculate on his relationship to BM immediately after Suzanne was known to be missing? @ Mod on duty.

Mod Response to Question:
Individuals not named as a POI can not be sleuthed. If an individual has been referenced by MSM, LE or an approved source in the context of this case that individual can be discussed only as it relates to what was provided in the approved source but no digging and posting info beyond that.

Last edited:
Why Hinky Meters Sounded?
LE's hinky meter sounded more quickly and loudly than typical Man-Reports-Wife-Missing case. Why? Why seemingly immediately after that afternoon/eve. of report to LE?
What factor could trigger hinky meters so quickly, anyone?

Snipped by me for focused reply:

I don't know if the road along the ravine is sealed, gravel or compressed earth, but even if sealed it likely has a gravel or earth shoulder. Footprints or bike-wheel tracks may have been preserved on it.

If Suzanne's bike was staged, ie. thrown into the ravine, IMO it would be evident from footprints left by the actor, or bike tread marks not supporting Suzanne had an accident there. Footprints could be compared with BM's, and the bike prints would prove inconsistent with the rider weighing SM's poundage.

IMO, to stage a convincing scene of a bike being ridden over a ravine would be nigh on impossible.

If BM did throw Suzanne's bike into the ravine with the hope LE would assume she'd had an accident, IMO it suggests he
believed LE is gullible to the level of frank ignorance. Or BM is.

I don't know if the road along the ravine is sealed, gravel or compressed earth, but even if sealed it likely has a gravel or earth shoulder. Footprints or bike-wheel tracks may have been preserved on it.

If Suzanne's bike was staged, ie. thrown into the ravine, IMO it would be evident from footprints left by the actor, or bike tread marks not supporting Suzanne had an accident there. Footprints could be compared with BM's, and the bike prints would prove inconsistent with the rider weighing SM's poundage.

IMO, to stage a convincing scene of a bike being ridden over a ravine would be nigh on impossible.

If BM did throw Suzanne's bike into the ravine with the hope LE would assume she'd had an accident, IMO it suggests he

I’ll take door Number Two, please.

It has to or he will be found not guilty of that charge as currently there are no other options on the table for the jury. You don’t see many high profile cases like this that doesn’t also include manslaughter or some other option for the jury.

I have been meaning to ask how this works.

BM has been charged with M1. If this goes to trial, can the jury say not guilty of M1, but say he's guilty of M2 or M3? Can the jury convict him of a charge that he wasn't charged with by the State?

On a side note - it's not my thing to hoorah a prosecution based on an arrest and charges alone. I'm on the side of let's see what they have, then I will have an opinion on the strength of a case in court. IMO

I have an odd question. Does anyone have a spreadsheet (or similar) that kind of lists who different people are in this case? Like who the initials represent and how they pertain to this case? Rumors vs facts, things we can't discuss here, links to important things/places, etc. I did this once for the only case I followed so closely that I could refer back to it. It was very helpful because the crime happened in 2006 and it was over 5 years before the second trial (he wasn't arrested until after 2 years I think - I need to look at my spreadsheet lol) Anyway, back then I had a lot more time at work than I do now so I struggle to keep up.

I have an odd question. Does anyone have a spreadsheet (or similar) that kind of lists who different people are in this case? Like who the initials represent and how they pertain to this case? Rumors vs facts, things we can't discuss here, links to important things/places, etc. I did this once for the only case I followed so closely that I could refer back to it. It was very helpful because the crime happened in 2006 and it was over 5 years before the second trial (he wasn't arrested until after 2 years I think - I need to look at my spreadsheet lol) Anyway, back then I had a lot more time at work than I do now so I struggle to keep up.
Someone here did just that I believe, but I'd have to look back a few threads.
If I can locate it, I'll repost it !

Also, if bike was tossed or thrown into the ravine, it would have microscopic damage showing that. If it was ridden into the ravine, the front end of the bike would have more damage than the back end (and would have been going at a speed that an accident reconstructionist could determine).

Totally my own opinion: something happened between Barry and Suzanne on Friday, and she may have made a 911 call (possibly a hang-up). Because nothing about the bike itself would have made LE so thoroughly suspect Barry, as they obviously did. I do wonder if the daughters opened the front door to the house and invited the police in (for safety reasons) to look for their mom. The bleach smell may have been the next big clue. But the bike also told them that she hadn't gone for a bike ride.

John Schmitz - the man BM had a physical altercation with at a job site in Indiana. EBM
Yes, he described Barry as becoming immediately angry when he couldn't start his part of a job when he wanted to, even though he apparently was not scheduled to work for another three days.

I guess he expected JS and his crew to just pack up all their tools and leave, and when they wouldn't, he lost his temper and the two got into a physical fight. JS said there was a look of evil in his eyes.

We have only heard one side of the story, but considering all accounts of his being controlling, it sounds like Barry. Instead of using his words to solve a problem, he used his fists.

Apparently they were both charged with assault, but BM had his record expunged. Imo

Oh something has never made any sense to me. BM employees sit around for two days ina hotel waiting for some bricks and no one contacts BM about them. They have the wrong tools and no one drives back to get them. The room stinks of bleach and they don’t report it to housekeeping, why! They were paid to stay in a hotel, sit around and do nothing.
Well BM sent them there knowing he didn’t prepare accordingly for the wall re-do job, and in her interview with LS, Morgan said because BM had to leave for a family emergency, his wife was missing and got attacked by a Mountsin Lion, they didn’t want to bother him about having incorrect tools and no materials to do the job since he already had enough going on/to deal with.:rolleyes:

Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that BM had never set up/formally scheduled the job for Monday, May 11th, since LS research on the Broomfield job resulted in her not being able to find BM’s name associated with any of the paperwork nor any permits pulled for the job. Reportedly, BM’s good friend is the President/Owner of the Indiana subcontracting company that the General Contractor outsourced the job to. The Subcontractor company, EA Outdoor Services owner Tony Miller, aka BM’s ‘good friend’, hired BM to do the wall re-do work. Seems the Subcontractor, TM, had some of his crew already doing some type of work at the site and he told his workers BM would be starting the re-do wall job on the 11th, according to LS anonymous source who was one of the subcontracting company workers she spoke with. Yet, when LS contacted Tony Miller, the owner and BM’s ‘good friend’, to try and obtain further confirmation about the job scheduled on the 11th, TM reportedly replied he had “no comment” to LS. Lauren also reported that her anonymous source, the worker for the subcontracting company, told her that they (Tony’s workers), never even heard of Barry Morphew until Thursday, May 7th, when they found out BM was supposed to do the job on the 11th. So, did BM’s good friend, Tony Miller cover/lie for him and tell his workers that BM and crew were showing up on the 11th? Hmm.
Or, did BM just totally forget he set up the job for the 11th and forgot to order the materials to actually do the job?? He’s been in business doing this for decades, and forgets to order the necessary materials needed to do a job?!?! Wtah?
Also, WHY wasn’t LS able to find BM’s name on anything official relating to this job?! It makes zero sense to me. According to JP, they waited around for the materials to arrive, got fed up waiting around, and finally left Broomfield to head back to Salida on Tuesday, the 12th.

At any rate, I wonder if BM made up the whole, “I had a job scheduled for the 11th...” and really hadn’t ever followed up and formally set up/scheduled the job for the 11th, and summoned his crew under false pretenses, just to further muddy his fake alibi waters. Maybe he wanted his workers DNA and fingerprints scattered all over the hotel room, where he cleaned tools and got rid of evidence. Even if LE didn’t search the room until couple days later, hotel cleaning staff are notorious for not cleaning the rooms thoroughly (ever see the 20/20 episode where they shine the dark light in hotel rooms and shows all the nasty stuff the cleaners miss, yuck), and likely that not all leftover DNA/fingerprints are washed/cleaned away. And too, even if the job was legit setup for the 11th, why did his workers need to stay overnight on Sunday?!?!
If the job was legit to start on Monday, the 11th, his workers could simply leave Salida early am Monday morning to get to worksite/work by 8am for instance. Just seems to me there was no reason BM should have needed to have his workers stay overnight Sunday at the hotel unless it benefited him in some way. I’m sure BM and his attorneys are prepared to throw each and every one of his workers under the bus at future trial, i.e., “My client, BM, wasn’t the only one in that hotel room!!.” etc., etc.

All I know is. the whole Broomfield wall job is all very shady, fishy, improperly planned and makes absolute zero sense to me. Hopefully the AA will provide more clarity on this and a lot of other things.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Yes, he described Barry as becoming immediately angry when he couldn't start his part of a job when he wanted to, even though he apparently was not scheduled to work for another three days.

I guess he expected JS and his crew to just pack up all their tools and leave, and when they wouldn't, he lost his temper and the two got into a physical fight. JS said there was a look of evil in his eyes.

We have only heard one side of the story, but considering all accounts of his being controlling, it sounds like Barry. Instead of using his words to solve a problem, he used his fists.

Apparently they were both charged with assault, but BM had his record expunged. Imo
bbm
Guess it helps to have friends in high places ?
Wondering what else the judge 'expunged' for Barry ?
Imo.

BBM for focus
SM was afraid of Barry, per Melinda. She says it outloud, no hesitation when asked!

Melinda Moorman “My sister had sent me a text Friday morning before Mother’s Day. It was very lengthy, very powerful, very revealing. She was ready to reveal some things she had been keeping close to her vest.” “Suzanne was scared of Barry”.

Short 2 minute video from Inside Addition.
I'd not seen the Inside Edition video before - thanks @Error505 for posting. Noting the YT video is dated May 7, 2021 which was only 2 days after BM's May 5 arrest.

Perhaps authorities influenced the change in message -- I guess we'll have to wait until the preliminary hearing to learn more.

In comparison to Melinda's more recent message -- I'd say that she's done a complete about-face including her earlier claims cited in MSM that the family was living beyond their means. The more recent message was that BM did not like debt including mortgages. MOO

Well BM sent them there knowing he didn’t prepare accordingly for the wall re-do job, and in her interview with LS, Morgan said because BM had to leave for a family emergency, his wife was missing and got attacked by a Mountsin Lion, they didn’t want to bother him about having incorrect tools and no materials to do the job since he already had enough going on/to deal with.:rolleyes:

Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that BM had never set up/formally scheduled the job for Monday, May 11th, since LS research on the Broomfield job resulted in her not being able to find BM’s name associated with any of the paperwork nor any permits pulled for the job. Supposedly BM’s good friend is the President/Owner of the Indiana subcontracting company that the General Contractor outsourced the job to. Reportedly, the Subcontractor company, EA Outdoor Services owner Tony Miller aka BM’s good friend, hired BM to do the work. Seems the Subcontractor, TM, had some of his crew already doing some type of work at the site and he told his workers BM would be starting the re-do wall job on the 11th, according to LS anonymous source who was one of the subcontracting company workers she spoke with. Yet, when LS contacted Tony Miller, the owner and BM’s ‘good friend’, to try and obtain further confirmation about the job scheduled on the 11th, TM reportedly replied he had “no comment” to LS. Lauren reported that her anonymous source, the worker for the subcontracting company, told her that they (Tony’s workers), never even heard of Barry Morphew until Thursday, May 7th, when they found out BM was supposed to do the job on the 11th. So, did BM’s good friend, Tony Miller lie for him and tell his workers that BM and crew were showing up on the 11th? Or, did BM just totally forget he set up the job for the 11th and forgot to order the materials to actually do the job?? He’s been in business doing this for decades, and forgets to order necessities for the job? Wtah?
Also, WHY wasn’t LS able to find BM’s name on anything official relating to this job?! It makes zero sense to me. According to JP, they waited around for the materials to arrive, got fed up waiting around, and finally left Broomfield to head back to Salida on Tuesday, the 12th.

At any rate, I wonder if BM made the whole thing up and never followed up and formally set up/scheduled the job for the 11th, and summoned his crew under false pretenses, just to further muddy his fake alibi waters. Maybe he wanted his workers DNA and fingerprints scattered all over the hotel room, where he cleaned tools and got rid of evidence. Even if LE didn’t search the room until couple days later, hotel cleaning staff are notorious for not cleaning the rooms thoroughly (ever see the 20/20 episode where they shine the dark light in hotel rooms and shows all the nasty stuff the cleaners miss, yuck), and likely that not all leftover DNA/fingerprints are washed/cleaned away. And too, even if the job was legit setup for the 11th, why did his workers need to stay overnight on Sunday?!?!
If the job was legit to start on Monday, the 11th, his workers could simply leave Salida early am Monday morning to get to worksite/work by 8am for instance. Just seems to me there was no reason BM should have needed to have his workers stay overnight Sunday at the hotel unless it benefited him some way. I’m sure he and his attorneys are prepared to throw each and every one of his workers under the bus at future trial.

All I know is. the whole Broomfield wall job is all very shady, fishy, improperly planned and makes absolute zero sense to me. Hopefully the AA will provide more clarity on this and a lot of other things.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Is it possible the reason LS couldn't find BM's name attached to any of the paperwork for the Broomfield job, was because he was working under the table as a sub for Tony Miller? Really, to me, that's the only reason that makes any sense. His name wasn't on any paperwork because he was doing the work off the books. Maybe that's also the reason TM had "no comment" when LS pushed for further confirmation?

jmo

Maybe the "meth heads" were sent out of town so they wouldn't interfere with what BM had going on at home? They may have been in the habit of dropping by, texting, wanting to talk about future work plans, getting a beer on the spur of the moment, etc. Easier for BM to have them out of town so there were less interruptions.

I'd not seen the Inside Edition video before - thanks @Error505 for posting. Noting the YT video is dated May 7, 2021 which was only 2 days after BM's May 5 arrest.

Perhaps authorities influenced the change in message -- I guess we'll have to wait until the preliminary hearing to learn more.

In comparison to Melinda's more recent message -- I'd say that she's done a complete about-face including her earlier claims cited in MSM that the family was living beyond their means. The more recent message was that BM did not like debt including mortgages. MOO

She mentioned that about Barry not wanting to be in any debt, when they built their first house in IN. He might have truly been like that then, but that was what, 20+ years ago? Sadly, a lot can change in 2o years.

jmo

Is it possible the reason LS couldn't find BM's name attached to any of the paperwork for the Broomfield job, was because he was working under the table as a sub for Tony Miller? Really, to me, that's the only reason that makes any sense. His name wasn't on any paperwork because he was doing the work off the books. Maybe that's also the reason TM had "no comment" when LS pushed for further confirmation?

jmo
I think a lot of work that Barry did was as a sub, and who knows if he had the proper insurance for any of these jobs. I think that it probably took a very long time to go through the business and personal dealings to get any kind of accurate picture of finances, not to mention what was and was not illegal. I think we will be hearing a lot of this during the trial.

jmo
In the states, permits, etc. on public works jobs are typically held in the name of the prime contractor or first-tier subcontractor. BM was not working under the table or off the books --the unidentified spokesperson for subcontractor E.A. Outdoor Services, LLC (Tony Miller is President) already confirmed they hired BM for the task identified in their contract (i.e., the retaining wall). BM returned on Mother's Day to correct his deficient work first completed in 2019.

BREAKING: Missing Suzanne Morphew husband Barry Morphew’s ‘alibi’ questioned as new details surface about landscaping job Mother’s Day weekend [VIDEO]

She mentioned that about Barry not wanting to be in any debt, when they built their first house in IN. He might have truly been like that then, but that was what, 20+ years ago? Sadly, a lot can change in 2o years.

jmo
Very true. Nonetheless, public records seemed to support there was no mortgage for the PP residence or the subsequent purchase of Longhorn Estates building lot either. According to Andy - SM used cash from her inheritance after the IN residence did not sell before they closed on the Colorado home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88