Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Suzanne's stepbrother said Melinda communicated with her more while she lived in Colorado than he did. He said they would message each other through FB once in a while, but she didn't really discuss her marriage with him. Suzanne may have been closer with her sister and more likely to confide in her.

It was Andy and Gene who said communication was almost nonexistent after they moved.

I also think Suzanne still loved Barry and wanted to work out their problems, at least up to a certain point. That doesn't mean they didn't get into arguments over the years. Imo

I can only imagine, but I think that Suzanne getting ill with cancer so young in her life, getting treated, with all potential consequences, and then, marrying Barry and having two kids, was akin to a miracle. Being a Christian, she most likely, had strong feelings about marriage anyhow, but in her own story there was something special, too.

And then, years later, the same illness hit, and the fact that it was the same, but the circumstances around her, so different, I think, finally, gave her the courage to start making certain steps towards independence. JMO.

Barry can’t handle pressure because he gets defensive trying to prove how much smarter he is than everyone else, MOO. Mark my words, whatever LE questioned him about on May 10 and subsequent days, he lied out his @$$ and his lies will be what convicts him! LE will prove he wasn’t where he said he was and went places he didn’t reveal to LE. It’ll be Barry’s lies and physical evidence that gets him convicted of Murder 1....
just what he deserves. MOO
I think he lied because he doesn't want to admit to what he's done. He had a story and he stuck to it and will likely continue to stand by it.

Andy and the PE guys spent months trying to rattle him. I think Andy was trying to get him to break down and confess, telling him to be a man and not a coward.

Yet all throughout the search he just kept busy working, pulling his bobcat behind him all over town, like it was business as usual. Even as he guarded his property, gun slung over his shoulder, it sounded like he was calm when he warned them they were close to private property. And that was after one of the PE guys suggested the searchers surround his house and yell loudly, or whatever they said. I think it was Mike who later told them please not to trespass on private property. The next day Barry gave them permission to search his property, and according to one of Andy's friends, said to "tell Andy I love him."

I think lying comes easily to him and he's handled the pressure just fine. He may be confident that he's hidden the body where nobody will ever find it.

IMO

Perhaps Barry was known to the volunteer FF’s and the gym jocks as being a braggart pompous *advertiser censored* that bragged about his womanizing. When word got out his wife was missing several calls may have gone into LE right away. IMO a guy like Barry does not filter into an established group of men easily.
Adding my amateur profile of BM ! A womanizer usually has to talk about his conquests.

Bolded by me. Bingo, so true! I think Barry had easier time befriending women than men, and not only because of womanizing. He comes across as social enough, but always with extra effort. I first thought about it on watching the video of his meeting with TD.

Very true. Nonetheless, public records seemed to support there was no mortgage for the PP residence or the subsequent purchase of Longhorn Estates building lot either. According to Andy - SM used cash from her inheritance after the IN residence did not sell before they closed on the Colorado home.
I actually want to know, why it was so very in a hurry, to get to CO, if there wasn't at least a fixed contract for sale of the IN-Home. Did he sell the business too early? Why? Did he buy the CO-house too early? Why? No employee with a 0.5m dollar home would do that, but make sure, that all contracts are in dry towels.
Maybe, BM didn't like to have debt. But if so, I can't buy a 1,5m dollar home, if there is no prospect of selling the former house fast enough. Why didn't he rent a condo for the transition period? Did he want to "make his wife happy" with choosing the dream house, not telling her the truth about the more as critical finances? Why, if he was anyway the one, who set the tone at home?

If Suzanne wanted to "demolish tents" in IN because of BM's infidelity, why would the change of location have guaranteed loyalty? If she only would have known, what we know now: he was able to visit IN as much as he wanted. In addition there are indeed also women living in CO, and he was mobile all the time (surely a reason for him to looove his job), so many opportunities for him for letting his charm play over again.

I actually want to know, why it was so very in a hurry, to get to CO, if there wasn't at least a fixed contract for sale of the IN-Home. Did he sell the business too early? Why? Did he buy the CO-house too early? Why? No employee with a 0.5m dollar home would do that, but make sure, that all contracts are in dry towels.
Maybe, BM didn't like to have debt. But if so, I can't buy a 1,5m dollar home, if there is no prospect of selling the former house fast enough. Why didn't he rent a condo for the transition period? Did he want to "make his wife happy" with choosing the dream house, not telling her the truth about the more as critical finances? Why, if he was anyway the one, who set the tone at home?

If Suzanne wanted to "demolish tents" in IN because of BM's infidelity, why would the change of location have guaranteed loyalty? If she only would have known, what we know now: he was able to visit IN as much as he wanted. In addition there are indeed also women living in CO, and he was mobile all the time (surely a reason for him to looove his job), so many opportunities for him for letting his charm play over again.
Has anyone read anything regarding the timeline of the move? Did they get out of Dodge quickly, or did they take their time and put the house on the market, business up for sale, find a realtor in CO? They had a kid in high school who would be pulling up stakes. While it may have been a retirement plan, I would love insight as to why they chose to move when they did.

Well Barry, how’s life these days.....in your “cage?” Have you taken some time to reflect on when you so callously and publicly referred to your employees as “methheads,” pointing out how one had a prior conviction and did jail time? (Looky who’s in the slammer now!). Or, firing an employee you trusted with organizing a crew because she would not cover for you and cooperated with LE instead? How about when you proclaimed your love for Suzanne to the world and adamantly stated that there’s NEVER been anyone else? Oh, and how about proclaiming and using your “Christianity” in the face of all THAT in an attempt to “whitewash” yourself Barry, just a devoted husband and a good “Christian” man :rolleyes: reading his Bible while “hunting” but somehow missed “Thou shalt not murder”.....”Thou shalt not commit adultery”.....”Thou shalt not bear FALSE witness.” Just how many lies did you tell Suzanne? LE? Your children? Your family? The poor unfortunate man that bought your “thriving” :rolleyes: business in IN for 1 million? No doubt the AA will reveal just how many times you forgot your “religion.”

Will the REAL Barry Morphew, PLEASE. stand. up?!

Irony, thy name is Barry. MOO

Well Barry, how’s life these days.....in your “cage?” Have you taken some time to reflect on when you so callously and publicly referred to your employees as “methheads,” pointing out how one had a prior conviction and did jail time? (Looky who’s in the slammer now!). Or, firing an employee you trusted with organizing a crew because she would not cover for you and cooperated with LE instead? How about when you proclaimed your love for Suzanne to the world and adamantly stated that there’s NEVER been anyone else? Oh, and how about proclaiming and using your “Christianity” in the face of all THAT in an attempt to “whitewash” yourself Barry, just a devoted husband and a good “Christian” man :rolleyes: reading his Bible while “hunting” but somehow missed “Thou shalt not murder”.....”Thou shalt not commit adultery”.....”Thou shalt not bear FALSE witness.” Just how many lies did you tell Suzanne? LE? Your children? Your family? The poor unfortunate man that bought your “thriving” :rolleyes: business in IN for 1 million? No doubt the AA will reveal just how many times you forgot your “religion.”

Will the REAL Barry Morphew, PLEASE. stand. up?!

Irony, thy name is Barry. MOO
Best post ever. You nailed it

I can only imagine, but I think that Suzanne getting ill with cancer so young in her life, getting treated, with all potential consequences, and then, marrying Barry and having two kids, was akin to a miracle. Being a Christian, she most likely, had strong feelings about marriage anyhow, but in her own story there was something special, too.

And then, years later, the same illness hit, and the fact that it was the same, but the circumstances around her, so different, I think, finally, gave her the courage to start making certain steps towards independence. JMO.

Stress can trigger cancer according to some medical studies. No, I don’t have any links handy. But do any of you remember the case where a son developed fatal cancer in his leg where the father hit him? His mother was the one who brought that to people’s attention.

So when do we think the Judge will decide on the unsealing of the arrest affidavit? Wonder if he will set a hearing for arguments or just issue an order. Want to see that so badly.

I was wondering if he’d maybe make a decision today? Today is when the prosecution has to turn over discovery, so I wondered if the judge would have some time set on his calendar today for this case and arrive at a decision.

Probably just wishful thinking, but I don’t think this judge is going to have any more pleas from either side and will decide this himself. MOO.

I was wondering if he’d maybe make a decision today? Today is when the prosecution has to turn over discovery, so I wondered if the judge would have some time set on his calendar today for this case and arrive at a decision.

Probably just wishful thinking, but I don’t think this judge is going to have any more pleas from either side and will decide this himself. MOO.
I don’t think it will be too long as I don’t think there’s any valid reason to keep it sealed in this case. I don’t believe the daughters need protection from the truth as they have free will to read it or not to read it. Do I want to see it? Yes.....yesterday! :)

I know there’s no legal reason to link the two, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the unsealing is sort of tied to the turnover of discovery. The arguments for and against the unsealing are also sealed but I could see the Defense wanting to know the full strength of the case against BM before deciding on the potential pros and cons of when the unsealing of the AA occurs. Knowledge is power. Power is control.

At some point the AA will be unsealed; they almost always are. But high-caliber defense attorneys like these will try to finesse that release to gain whatever advantage — or minimize whatever damage — they can in accordance with their strategy.

Just MOO.

If Suzanne was involved in domestic violence meetings, due to her own personal circumstances, I wonder if that can be introduced at the trial.
Perhaps if it has documented relevance? "Suzanne was scared".
I think Suzanne's state of mind about her relationship with Barry, her mental and physical health issues that may be related to stress in her marriage, and her statements to others about the events leading up to Mothers Day 2020 and her reactions to those events, are relevant and admissible in evidence. JMO, non-expert of course. But the Colorado Rules of Evidence seem to allow for her statements to others about this. I would love to hear from people here who know more about trials and evidence as to where the lines may be.

Article VIII - Hearsay

Rule 801 - Definitions

The following definitions apply under this article:

(a) Statement. A "statement" is (1) an oral or written assertion or (2) nonverbal conduct of a person, if it is intended by him to be communicative.

(b) Declarant. A "declarant" is a person who makes a statement.

(c) Hearsay. "Hearsay" is a statement other than one made by the declarant while testifying at the trial or hearing, offered in evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted.

Rule 802 - Hearsay Rule

Hearsay is not admissible except as provided by these rules or by the civil and criminal procedural rules applicable to the courts of Colorado or by any statutes of the State of Colorado.

Rule 803 - Hearsay Exceptions: Availability of Declarant Immaterial

The following are not excluded by the hearsay rule, even though the declarant is available as a witness:

(1) Spontaneous present sense impression. A spontaneous statement describing or explaining an event or condition made while the declarant was perceiving the event or condition.

(2) Excited utterance. A statement relating to a startling event or condition made while the declarant was under the stress of excitement caused by the event or condition.

(3) Then existing mental, emotional, or physical condition. A statement of the declarant's then existing state of mind, emotion, sensation, or physical condition (such as intent, plan, motive, design, mental feeling, pain, and bodily health), but not including a statement of memory or belief to prove the fact remembered or believed unless it relates to the execution, revocation, identification, or terms of declarant's will.

(4) Statements for purposes of medical diagnosis or treatment. Statements made for purposes of medical diagnosis or treatment and describing medical history, or past or present symptoms, pain, or sensations, or the inception or general character of the cause or external source thereof insofar as reasonably pertinent to diagnosis or treatment.

(5) Recorded recollection. A past recollection recorded when it appears that the witness once had knowledge concerning the matter and; (A) can identify the memorandum or record, (B) adequately recalls the making of it at or near the time of the event, either as recorded by the witness or by another, and (C) can testify to its accuracy. The memorandum or record may be read into evidence but may not itself be received unless offered by an adverse party.

Rule 804 - Hearsay Exceptions: Declarant Unavailable

(b) Hearsay exceptions. The following are not excluded by the hearsay rule if the declarant is unavailable as a witness:

(4) Statement of personal or family history. (A) A statement concerning the declarant's own birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, legitimacy, relationship by blood, adoption, or marriage, ancestry, or other similar fact of personal or family history, even though declarant had no means of acquiring personal knowledge of the matter stated; or (B) a statement concerning the foregoing matters, and death also, of another person, if the declarant was related to the other by blood, adoption, or marriage or was so intimately associated with the other's family as to be likely to have accurate information concerning the matter declared.

As much as I dislike that it happened, the sister of SM said, on the CM show Interview Room, that she wanted to clear things up about the purchase of that home in Colorado, that it was Suzanne who wanted to buy it.
This ties in with other aspects of that CM/MM show that still really bother me, aside from the statue carp.
MM emphasized that it was Suzanne who wanted that particular house.
MM said that $100,000 was borrowed from their (Suzanne's) father to buy the house, as the Ind. house had not yet sold.
MM insinuated that family member(s) got upset that the money was not being paid back, and convinced the father to request a promissory note from BM, wherein BM said that it was Suzanne's loan. paraphrased.

Now this is why I am so critical of CM and MM in that show. How can they act like the loan was all Barry's fault, when MM said all of the above?

By no means am I a BM fan, but neither am I a fan of family members who reveal potentially detrimental info on a TV show when all the pretrial motions are happening. The relative(s) have to understand that long rambling 2 hour shows with TV personalities may not be the best way to help the memory of the murdered relative. However I don't have the same critique of step brother TO, he was very careful about what he should say, IMO.

OK everyone can get mad at me, but she basically laid the groundwork for the house purchase, the loan, the slow repayment, everything being at Suzanne's impetus. Not fair. Just shut up and stay off TV. IMO IMO IMO IMO

Last edited:
Why would Suzanne be paid back...they traded one asset for another. I might pay my husband back if I borrowed $20 or something out of his wallet but if we both invest in an asset we co-own the asset. She may have thought it was a stretch purchase overall but I doubt it was any odd financial transaction. And they might have felt the real estate appreciation over time was of more value than the markets or an annuity or some such vehicle other than real estate.

Question: did he borrow from her personally, or from her foundation? Would it have made a difference?

I think Suzanne’s inheritance was her money. Laws may differ from one country to another, but the “inheritance wallet” that he borrowed from was not his. While a house was a joint asset. Am I wrong in my understanding of the situation?

I know there’s no legal reason to link the two, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the unsealing is sort of tied to the turnover of discovery. The arguments for and against the unsealing are also sealed but I could see the Defense wanting to know the full strength of the case against BM before deciding on the potential pros and cons of when the unsealing of the AA occurs. Knowledge is power. Power is control.

At some point the AA will be unsealed; they almost always are. But high-caliber defense attorneys like these will try to finesse that release to gain whatever advantage — or minimize whatever damage — they can in accordance with their strategy.

Just MOO.
Have always believed this:

Knowledge is power. Power is control.

BM should have tried to gather more knowledge since he wished to be in total control of the direction the investigation. It seems to get these murderers every single time...eventually.

Has anyone read anything regarding the timeline of the move? Did they get out of Dodge quickly, or did they take their time and put the house on the market, business up for sale, find a realtor in CO? They had a kid in high school who would be pulling up stakes. While it may have been a retirement plan, I would love insight as to why they chose to move when they did.

I believe the only verifiable info comes from property records, and anything regarding a timeline would be speculation. Realtor.com reflects the listing history for the Arcadia, IN residence, beginning with a property listing Feb 19, 2018-- noting the Sellers relocated out-of-state.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/26040-Cal-Carson-Rd_Arcadia_IN_46030_M48669-03854

I believe SM first posted their realtor's listing on her FB but don't know if her post predated Feb 2018 by Realtor.com or not. If I recall correctly - the home didn't sell until June 2019 by an installment contract where the sellers were not cashed out until June 2020 (closing required BM to act as SM's court-appointed guardian).

Important to note that 2018-19 was also known as US Housing Market Crash 2.0

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4240221-housing-market-crisis-2_0-jury-is-in-for-2018minus-2019

Question: did he borrow from her personally, or from her foundation? Would it have made a difference?

I think Suzanne’s inheritance was her money. Laws may differ from one country to another, but the “inheritance wallet” that he borrowed from was not his. While a house was a joint asset. Am I wrong in my understanding of the situation?

I believe OP misunderstood my use of the term quote repaid unquote.

Inherited funds in many states are typically not considered community property or a joint, marital asset provided funds not commingled and/or certain safeguards taken.

Many, including myself, believe SM wanted to keep this money as her separate estate. However, using the inherited proceeds to purchase the jointly owned Colorado residence would void that intent-- unless deemed a loan where SM was repaid her separate funds. I don't believe things in the marriage were rosy between SM/BM when they made the PP purchase. MOO

ETA: I think SM would have preferred either the relocation delayed until the IN residence sold and/or the Colorado purchase delayed until the same. It seems to me that the only urgency behind both was BM -- and BM gets whatever BM wants.

“There is nothing that I am hiding. I have given three – 30 hours of testimony to the FBI and the CBI. I’ve answered every question. Every single question.”
BLM told Fox 21 News.
blahblah.gif

Would those three - 30 hours of testimony fill a large portion of a 129 page AA?

Poor “caged” BLM :rolleyes:
CBI & FBI no doubt have hour after hour of BLM lies and contradictory statements as “testimony” straight out of the horse’s mouth.:D

How do you like your plastic shoes, BLM?
MOO
‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

I believe evidence of Barry Morphew's character, or of his prior bad acts, can be admitted in evidence only under limited circumstances, e.g. if his defense opens the door somehow. I'm hoping posters who refer to such evidence will try to address the question whether the court will allow it in evidence. IMO, if we base our beliefs as to his guilt on information the jury will never hear, we may have unrealistic expectations.

Colo. R. Evid. 404

Rule 404 - Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts [Effective July 1, 2021]

(a)Character evidence generally. Evidence of a person's character or a trait of his character is not admissible for the purpose of proving that he acted in conformity therewith on a particular occasion, except:

(1)Character of accused. In a criminal case, evidence of a pertinent trait of his character offered by an accused, or by the prosecution to rebut the same or if evidence of the alleged victim's character for aggressiveness or violence is offered by an accused and admitted under Rule 404(a)(2), evidence of the same trait of character of the accused offered by the prosecution;

(2)Character of alleged victim. In a criminal case, evidence of a pertinent trait of character of the alleged victim of the crime offered by an accused, or by the prosecution to rebut the same, or evidence of a character trait of peacefulness of the alleged victim offered by the prosecution in a homicide case to rebut evidence that the alleged victim was the first aggressor;

(3) Character of witness. Evidence of the character of a witness as provided in Rules 607, 608, and 13-90-101 .

(b) Other crimes, wrongs, or acts.

(1) Prohibited Uses. Evidence of any other crime, wrong, or act is not admissible to prove a person's character in order to show that on a particular occasion the person acted in conformity with the character.

(2) Permitted Uses. This evidence may, be admissible for another purposes, such as proving motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, absence of mistake, or lack of accident,

(3) Notice in a Criminal Case. In a criminal case, the prosecutor must:

(A) provide reasonable notice of any such evidence that theprosecutor intends to offer at trial, so that the defendant has a fair opportunity to meet it;

(B) articulate in the notice the permitted purpose for which the prosecutor intends to offerthe evidence and the reasoning that supports the purpose; and

(C) do so in writing before trial-or in any form during trial if the court, for good cause, excuses lack of pretrial notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla